Metalian Maxi super thread - Page 120

Page 120 of 154 FirstFirst ... 20 70 95 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 145 ... LastLast
Results 2,381 to 2,400 of 3062

Default Re: Metalian Maxi super thread

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1467564596012.jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	409260

Road tripping to Kruger. Maxi was so stable.

One slight issue though... with 220v plugged into the trailer, some of us are getting slight shocks? Never experienced this before.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.4 4x4 auto
    Metalian Maxi
    2014 Jeep Cherokee 3,2 Limited AWD A/T (swambo)

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.6 Overland (sold)
    2011 Fortuner 3 D4D 4x4 (sold)

Hi Bartman, in my experience this is as a result of an earthing issue. Could be the utility (park electrics) or check your 3 pin plug and or your wiring get trailer end. These plugs can get quite badly shook up & need to be checked often. Hope this helps. Rob
    2012 Fortuner D4D 4x4
    Metalian Maxi

On Friday 01.07.2016 I received my Maxi!

Now the fun starts!

I must say all my decisions on purchasing a MAXI were based on THIS forum - so, I can only say thanks to all of you.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Current:

2019 Tiguan Allspace 2.0TDI 4Motion DSG R-Line
    2017 Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4 Auto
    2016 Metalian Maxi

Quote Originally Posted by GeckoCampers View Post

Now the fun starts!

I must say all my decisions on purchasing a MAXI were based on THIS forum - so, I can only say thanks to all of you.
    Congrats!!! I have no doubt you'll have many new wonderful adventures with it!
    Gary

Current: Khumo AT KL78; EFS Suspension; Stofpad Rock Sliders; Stofpad Bashplate
    Proud Owner: Metalian Maxi
    When budget allows: Air helpers; Snorkel (not necessarily in that order)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bateleur For This Useful Post:

Now the fun starts!

Great photo, send it to Heinz for some promotion. Hope you have some seriously good experiences with your new camper, as you said the fun starts with kitting out and customizing it to your taste. Being down in the baai you are a bit far but I am just a telephone call away, shout if I can advise
    Last edited by hbannink; 2016/07/05 at 02:45 AM.
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

7. The Following User Says Thank You to hbannink For This Useful Post:

Now the fun starts!

Hi, is that standard VW Transporter rims on the trailer? 17s?

No money for a real 4x4 so I pimped my
    2011 Volkswagen Transporter 2.0 BiTdi 132kw 4Motion DSG

Carp Fishing Maxi make over....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2015 Ford Kuga 2.0 tdci AWD
    2012 Ford Ranger 3.2 T6

Quote Originally Posted by johannvisser View Post
    Hi, is that standard VW Transporter rims on the trailer? 17s?
    Hello Johann, yes, standard 17" transporter rims, meaning same PCD as Amarok. Running 235/65R17 tyres on the Maxi - same size as my bus.
    Current:

2019 Tiguan Allspace 2.0TDI 4Motion DSG R-Line
    2017 Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4 Auto
    2016 Metalian Maxi

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	410907
    After 2 years renting trailers and scouting the ads I'm finally a Metalian owner and I'm looking forward to many memories with my young family. Thanks to Eloff I think I've got a very unique Maxi with the special attention and modifications made.
    Thanks to the info on this thread which have made my descion easy.....Metalian being the best 👍
    Last edited by Stratie; 2016/07/17 at 08:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartman71 View Post

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1467564596012.jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	409260

Road tripping to Kruger. Maxi was so stable.

One slight issue though... with 220v plugged into the trailer, some of us are getting slight shocks? Never experienced this before.

I'm actually experiencing the same thing. Not sure what it could be? Henk or Heinz.... Come in please
    2014 Pajero 3.2DiD SWB

KurtG it was only at Maroele camp that we experienced this. Letaba and Skukuza were fine
    Metalian Maxi

Could it be a short at the source of the power. I.e. The camp site has a short and it's coming through the earth.
    Rory

2005 Hyundai Terracan 2.9 CRDi aka Terry (Family/Weekend Car)
    2018 BMW R1200GS Adv LC aka Snow (My other joy)
    2013 Metalian Maxi aka Maximilian (A Good Year)

I have a water leak. This was the first time I had towed the Maxi with full tanks. Got to Pretoria and water was draining out the hole on the belly where the pipe comes out. On further inspection there was water where the tanks are and some had splashed over into the spare wheel area.

I would say about 2 to 3 liters. Top hatches are fine so it must be coming out between the tank and trailer body where the filler enters the tank. It leaks here sometimes when I fill the tanks as well.

How do I fix/seal this?
    Metalian Maxi

Quote Originally Posted by Blouwillebees View Post
    Here's mine!

awesome rig! Love that you took the time to match wheels/tyres to the Wrangler!

Quote Originally Posted by hbannink View Post
    I would seriously suggest you fasten the bike to the top of the trailer. The leverage on the rear bar is huge with that setup, I have had one where the same kind of setup buckled and bent the plate for the hitch almost beyond
    Can't comment on the tow bar, I had my bikes on the wheel carrier (with a 35" to be fair) and the Wheel carrier bent on rough dirt.

certainly worth some reinforcement I'd think - I'd speak to Heinz ,see what he recommends!

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post

Can't comment on the tow bar, I had my bikes on the wheel carrier (with a 35" to be fair) and the Wheel carrier bent on rough dirt.

certainly worth some reinforcement I'd think - I'd speak to Heinz ,see what he recommends!
    I see them when they are busted and on one it was beyond. I am only the messenger so don't shoot me these hitch points have never been designed to handle a bicycle carrier sticking out by 3/4 of a meter behind the point of attachment. The lever action is waaay more than the material can ever handle, just take the weight of two mountain bikes and multiply it with the leverage and then multiply it with the shock load when the trailer goes over bumps and the answer can only be disaster, it is plain mathematics 101 and entry level engineering.

What does the result look like?

As for the spare wheel I also advise to tie the bicycles to the top of the trailer with a ratchet strap, in the photo below you can see dammage caused by a heavy load on the spare carrier. Bouncing up and down has caused the metal that holds the catch to crack from the tow bar tubing but worse is the latch clip that is almost broken off. If the latch fails the full weight of the spare is transferred to the axle pin on the swivel arm and as luck will have it the wheel swings open resulting in the axle or bearings failing. I have a Midi standing here that the spare is tied to the front with a ratchet strap and the carrier is in the nose cone, the bearings are somewhere scattered over the African continent.

I am convinced that one of Heinz's howling moon clips with a decent ratchet strap is all you need to solve the problem, I have done it on a trailer or two and the results have been great so far and when it comes to leverage do not underestimate its power, a wise man said "with a long enough lever one could move the earth" but I say with enough leverage you can break your finger off in your ........e aer
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151003_134119s.jpg 
Views:	891 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	410931   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151003_134140s.jpg 
Views:	907 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	410932   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151003_134148s.jpg 
Views:	911 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	410933   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151003_134111s.jpg 
Views:	925 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	410934  
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Bartman71 View Post
    I have a water leak. This was the first time I had towed the Maxi with full tanks. Got to Pretoria and water was draining out the hole on the belly where the pipe comes out. On further inspection there was water where the tanks are and some had splashed over into the spare wheel area.

I would say about 2 to 3 liters. Top hatches are fine so it must be coming out between the tank and trailer body where the filler enters the tank. It leaks here sometimes when I fill the tanks as well.

How do I fix/seal this?
    Bartman

My trailer tanks are doing exactly the same.

We went camping last weekend at Mapungubwe, and I wanted to test the tanks and water system.

Also lost about 2/3 litres, but decided to drain all the water as I did not want the whole trailer wet the whole weekend.

i need to take it apart this weekend, and will let you know what I find.

Seems to be a common problem with Metalian watertanks.

Rudu
    2007 Hilux 3.0d4d 4x4 DC - Mine
    2005 Hilux 3.0d4d 4x4 DC - Her's
    2008 3.2 did 4x4 DC Triton - Now with my Dad
    2006 Imagine Trailvan with Bunduawn 360

Regarding getting shocked it is in my opinion the earth at the camp site. I have had it once at a site in moz. I think it's caused by an earth contamination by a tent peg through the underground cabling or corroded joints. If only at certain sites it's them not u.
    Dale
    F150 4x4 5.4 Triton V8
    Series 3 Land Rover 109 SW
    GU Patrol 3.0Di GL
    Metalian Maxi in RED

Gents, the tow bar bracket is supplied with two holes that match the towball holes, but are specifically made smaller, so that you have to actually drill this out to make the tow ball fit. I do this because this is not a normal towball point, and hope that the client will call and complain about the holes being too small. When he does call, I inquire the reason for wanting to fit a towball and then explain that care should be taken to prevent such an occurrence as shown in the pictures.

The sparewheel has a mounting point for a small bike rack. Placing too many bikes at the rear will also de-stabalise the tow quite substantially. If you want to fit such larger racks, you have to tie the top of the rack back to the trailer to take the bounce out of the rack.

It is not an ideal solution I've provided, and there is a new rear bumper available that also has more features like recovery and high lift jack points, and an improved "towball" mounting.
    Last edited by Heinz Modricky; 2016/07/19 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post

Thank Apocalypse. It was quite a mission to hunt those wheels, buy them from Johannesburg from an unknown guy in George and freight them to Heinz to fit. I saw them for the first time when my trailer was delivered. I had to trust a few unknown chaps.

Heinz, Henk and me discussed a few ideas on the bike rack earlier in this thread. I will make some form of strut/s to make it more rigid. I'll post pics when done.

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz Modricky View Post
    Gents, the tow bar bracket is supplied with two holes that match the towball holes, but are specifically made smaller, so that you have to actually drill this out to make the tow ball fit. I do this because this is not a normal towball point, and hope that the client will call and complain about the holes being too small. When he does call, I inquire the reason for wanting to fit a towball and then explain that care should be taken to prevent such an occurrence as shown in the pictures.

The sparewheel has a mounting point for a small bike rack. Placing too many bikes at the rear will also de-stabalise the tow quite substantially. If you want to fit such larger racks, you have to tie the top of the rack back to the trailer to take the bounce out of the rack.

It is not an ideal solution I've provided, and there is a new rear bumper available that also has more features like recovery and high lift jack points, and an improved "towball" mounting.
    This is a huge disappointment for me as the only reason for spending a lot of extra cash on the tow bar was to fit my bike rack on it. The spare wheel bracket became a nightmare as well and during its fabrication my one Jeep alloy wheel got damaged beyond economical repair. It is now scrapped. That is water under the bridge now.

Heinz, I kindly suggest that you put a bold red note on the order sheet that warns customer that this tow bar is not suitable for bike racks or any other cantilevered loads.