Metalian Maxi super thread - Page 119





Page 119 of 154 FirstFirst ... 19 69 94 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 144 ... LastLast
Results 2,361 to 2,380 of 3062
  1. #2361
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    62
    Posts
    5,504
    Thanked: 2205

    Default Re: Metalian Maxi super thread

    Quote Originally Posted by derickb View Post
    Heinz
    Can you pls give me information on the wheel bearings and can i get them from the "man involved with bearings" my trailer has done =- 1000 - 1500 km i don't think its necessary yet but theirs nothing wrong with having a set at hand 8)

    thanks
    Not sure who your "man involved with bearings" is but a good spares shop should carry them or at least be able to order them in.

    The 1.6T takes a bearing kit #4 and the 2.5T is set #3

    Kit 4 : Bearing 30205 X 1
    Id = 25.0 Od = 52.0, Bearing 32007 X 1 Id = 35.0 Od = 62.0, seal 42 - 62 - 7 X 1. Split pin 3.2 X 36 mm

    Kit 3 : Bearing 30206 X 1 Id = 30.0 Od = 62.0, Bearing 30208 X 1 Id = 40.0 Od = 80.0, seal 48 - 80 - 10 X 1. Split pin 4 X 40 mm

    Remember to go to the Chemist and add a set or two of these surgical gloves to your kit, not nice to sit with greasy hands on the side of the road

    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

    Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hbannink For This Useful Post:


  3. #2362
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Bryanston
    Age
    37
    Posts
    18
    Thanked: 2

    Default Re: Metalian Maxi super thread

    Quote Originally Posted by martialllaw View Post
    Could someone please share some pictures of their bike rack attached to the rear bar on the maxi.
    Cheers☺
    Here's mine!

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blouwillebees For This Useful Post:


  5. #2363
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    62
    Posts
    5,504
    Thanked: 2205

    Default Re: Metalian Maxi super thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Blouwillebees View Post
    Here's mine!
    I would seriously suggest you fasten the bike to the top of the trailer. The leverage on the rear bar is huge with that setup, I have had one where the same kind of setup buckled and bent the plate for the hitch almost beyond
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

    Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

  6. #2364
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Bryanston
    Age
    37
    Posts
    18
    Thanked: 2

    Default Re: Metalian Maxi super thread

    Quote Originally Posted by hbannink View Post
    I would seriously suggest you fasten the bike to the top of the trailer. The leverage on the rear bar is huge with that setup, I have had one where the same kind of setup buckled and bent the plate for the hitch almost beyond
    Thanks for the tip Henk! I did notice its deflections while driving.
    That's very disappointing to hear since this is the only reason that I had the tow bar fitted. This is a R90k full carbon fiber mountain bike. There is no way that I will strap it down on top. The dust and tie downs will eat through the frame.
    I will rather strengthen the flimsy (somewhat useless) tow bar. ...before it causes damage to my bike too!

  7. #2365
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Much Wenlock
    Age
    41
    Posts
    10
    Thanked: 1

    Default Re: Metalian Maxi super thread

    Hi
    ive got a problem with my 2013 maxi rear lights, they all work ok individually but with taillights on they don't get any brighter when brakes pressed. Tow vehicle is Land Rover defender, have tried with a conventional filament bulb trailer board and works fine. Any advise appreciated.
    Thanks

  8. #2366
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Eldoraigne
    Age
    36
    Posts
    378
    Thanked: 37

    Default Re: Metalian Maxi super thread

    Quote Originally Posted by brewiex1 View Post
    Hi
    ive got a problem with my 2013 maxi rear lights, they all work ok individually but with taillights on they don't get any brighter when brakes pressed. Tow vehicle is Land Rover defender, have tried with a conventional filament bulb trailer board and works fine. Any advise appreciated.
    Thanks
    Replace the trucklamps.

    They all start doing it after a couple of years.

    They cost around R195 from any good spareshop.

    Rudu
    2007 Hilux 3.0d4d 4x4 DC - Mine
    2005 Hilux 3.0d4d 4x4 DC - Her's
    2008 3.2 did 4x4 DC Triton - Now with my Dad
    2006 Imagine Trailvan with Bunduawn 360

  9. #2367
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cape Town - Table View
    Age
    44
    Posts
    184
    Thanked: 12

    Default Re: Metalian Maxi super thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Blouwillebees View Post
    Thanks for the tip Henk! I did notice its deflections while driving.
    That's very disappointing to hear since this is the only reason that I had the tow bar fitted. This is a R90k full carbon fiber mountain bike. There is no way that I will strap it down on top. The dust and tie downs will eat through the frame.
    I will rather strengthen the flimsy (somewhat useless) tow bar. ...before it causes damage to my bike too!
    I don't have the tow bar at the back and was considering getting Heinz to put one on for me just for the bicycle rack. I've tried the bicycles between the trailer and vehicle but one must be very careful not to take out the bicycles while turning.
    I've thought of putting them on top of the trailer as Henk has suggested but I am not happy putting expensive bicycles on op of each other and I am concerned that parts of the bicycles will definitely rub through or damage the tent cover.

    The last option is to mount them on the roof of the vehicle but I am avoiding that as that collects the most amount of wind resistance.
    What to do What to do.
    Rory

    2005 Hyundai Terracan 2.9 CRDi aka Terry (Family/Weekend Car)
    2018 BMW R1200GS Adv LC aka Snow (My other joy)
    2013 Metalian Maxi aka Maximilian (A Good Year)

  10. #2368
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    The Far East (...Boksburg)
    Age
    51
    Posts
    445
    Thanked: 90

    Question Re: Metalian Maxi super thread

    Quote Originally Posted by rdp View Post
    Replace the trucklamps.

    They all start doing it after a couple of years.

    They cost around R195 from any good spareshop.

    Rudu
    Are you serious? Are these the LED ones? Any idea why they give up the ghost?
    Last edited by Honey Badger; 2016/05/30 at 01:41 PM.

  11. #2369
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somerset West
    Age
    61
    Posts
    2,084
    Thanked: 727

    Default Re: Metalian Maxi super thread

    Quote Originally Posted by brewiex1 View Post
    Hi
    ive got a problem with my 2013 maxi rear lights, they all work ok individually but with taillights on they don't get any brighter when brakes pressed. Tow vehicle is Land Rover defender, have tried with a conventional filament bulb trailer board and works fine. Any advise appreciated.
    Thanks
    I'd suspect it is the brake wire that has lost contact or a connection somewhere. Start by checking inside the trailer plug, the next point will be at the rear. We use special connectors that press the contacts into each other. They're tied up between the internal steel plate and light fitting - look from inside the cupboard. maybe just unloosen and refasten the connector. (They have little levers that open and close)

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Heinz Modricky For This Useful Post:


  13. #2370
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    41
    Posts
    745
    Thanked: 14

    Default Re: Metalian Maxi super thread

    Quote Originally Posted by roarman75 View Post
    I don't have the tow bar at the back and was considering getting Heinz to put one on for me just for the bicycle rack. I've tried the bicycles between the trailer and vehicle but one must be very careful not to take out the bicycles while turning.
    I've thought of putting them on top of the trailer as Henk has suggested but I am not happy putting expensive bicycles on op of each other and I am concerned that parts of the bicycles will definitely rub through or damage the tent cover.

    The last option is to mount them on the roof of the vehicle but I am avoiding that as that collects the most amount of wind resistance.
    What to do What to do.

    Must admit the bike conundrum has me too. I tried last weekend the bikes between the car and trailer but Shew it's a close fit! Not nice! Bikes on back of trailer and one feels the stability effect. Only solution is bikes on nosecone...or roof... but then I have to use the truck lane at the toll roads?
    Dale
    F150 4x4 5.4 Triton V8
    Series 3 Land Rover 109 SW
    GU Patrol 3.0Di GL
    Metalian Maxi in RED

  14. #2371
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    The Far East (...Boksburg)
    Age
    51
    Posts
    445
    Thanked: 90

    Default Re: Metalian Maxi super thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Heinz Modricky View Post
    I'd suspect it is the brake wire that has lost contact or a connection somewhere. Start by checking inside the trailer plug, the next point will be at the rear. We use special connectors that press the contacts into each other. They're tied up between the internal steel plate and light fitting - look from inside the cupboard. maybe just unloosen and refasten the connector. (They have little levers that open and close)
    Here's a pic of the Wago connectors that Heinz is referring to...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  15. #2372
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Much Wenlock
    Age
    41
    Posts
    10
    Thanked: 1

    Default Re: Metalian Maxi super thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Honey Badger View Post
    Here's a pic of the Wago connectors that Heinz is referring to...
    Hi
    thanks for the info. The brake lights work fine with no tail lights on its only when there on it doesn't work. Do you still think it's a poor connection ?
    Thanks again

  16. #2373
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somerset West
    Age
    61
    Posts
    2,084
    Thanked: 727

    Default Re: Metalian Maxi super thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    Must admit the bike conundrum has me too. I tried last weekend the bikes between the car and trailer but Shew it's a close fit! Not nice! Bikes on back of trailer and one feels the stability effect. Only solution is bikes on nosecone...or roof... but then I have to use the truck lane at the toll roads?
    You can lose tow stability and need to shift more weight upfront to compensate, especially if you have multiple bikes and they're hanging far off the rear.

  17. #2374
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cape Town - Table View
    Age
    44
    Posts
    184
    Thanked: 12

    Default Re: Metalian Maxi super thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Heinz Modricky View Post
    You can lose tow stability and need to shift more weight upfront to compensate, especially if you have multiple bikes and they're hanging far off the rear.
    Well, my spare wheel is at the front of the trailer and I will only have a max of two bikes on the back, so I think I should be ok.
    Rory

    2005 Hyundai Terracan 2.9 CRDi aka Terry (Family/Weekend Car)
    2018 BMW R1200GS Adv LC aka Snow (My other joy)
    2013 Metalian Maxi aka Maximilian (A Good Year)

  18. #2375
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    62
    Posts
    5,504
    Thanked: 2205

    Default Re: Metalian Maxi super thread

    I would like to rag you guys about your bikes and advise you to buy a more reliable vehicle but I know you spend megga bucks on your hobby
    The horizontal red gives you an idea of how far you are putting a lever to the rear with the weight bouncing up and down on two bolts designed for 50 - 100kg right at attachment point. With a 750 - 1m lever and shock loads from the bike being amplified as the rear of the trailer bounces up and down you are putting major stress on the two mounting bolts and the area that they connect to. If you can add a support as indicated by the Yellow it would go a long way in helping secure and absorb some of the downward sock loads. I can understand the carbon fibre being fragile and prone to damage by abrasion but try and find a way to work around this.

    One of the dirty tricks when hitching the trailer is to open the spare wheel and pull out the drawers, you can then get the weef to comfortably pick up the front of the trailer and move it around like a wheel barrow. This is an easy way to see the effect of the lever action and weight shift

    Tying the bike on top of the tent is never an option to me, this is certain damage to both bike and tent.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2d65e657acbb73f3a0f8b87331e00e3c.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	158.6 KB 
ID:	405442
    Last edited by hbannink; 2016/05/30 at 11:29 PM.
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

    Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

  19. #2376
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cape Town - Table View
    Age
    44
    Posts
    184
    Thanked: 12

    Default Re: Metalian Maxi super thread

    Quote Originally Posted by hbannink View Post
    I would like to rag you guys about your bikes and advise you to buy a more reliable vehicle but I know you spend megga bucks on your hobby
    The horizontal red gives you an idea of how far you are putting a lever to the rear with the weight bouncing up and down on two bolts designed for 50 - 100kg right at attachment point. With a 750 - 1m lever and shock loads from the bike being amplified as the rear of the trailer bounces up and down you are putting major stress on the two mounting bolts and the area that they connect to. If you can add a support as indicated by the Yellow it would go a long way in helping secure and absorb some of the downward sock loads. I can understand the carbon fibre being fragile and prone to damage by abrasion but try and find a way to work around this.

    One of the dirty tricks when hitching the trailer is to open the spare wheel and pull out the drawers, you can then get the weef to comfortably pick up the front of the trailer and move it around like a wheel barrow. This is an easy way to see the effect of the lever action and weight shift

    Tying the bike on top of the tent is never an option to me, this is certain damage to both bike and tent.
    Well, luckily my bikes don't quite cost an arm and a leg but as in most things now days, they not cheap. Anyway. Thanks Henk for the advice and I agree that there could be significant loads there depending on the distance weight of the bicycles.

    Did I misunderstand your previous suggestion regarding tying the bike to the top of the trailer. I thought you meant the bicycles must go on top of the tent. Where did you mean if not on top of the tent?
    Rory

    2005 Hyundai Terracan 2.9 CRDi aka Terry (Family/Weekend Car)
    2018 BMW R1200GS Adv LC aka Snow (My other joy)
    2013 Metalian Maxi aka Maximilian (A Good Year)

  20. #2377
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    The Far East (...Boksburg)
    Age
    51
    Posts
    445
    Thanked: 90

    Post Re: Metalian Maxi super thread

    Spent a freezing cold weekend away at Klipdraai to see whether we could keep warm before we dragged the kids for a longer winter camp in 2 weeks time.
    Hot water bottles, hot blanket, fan heater and socks did the trick.

    One question I have is how do I limit/eliminate condensation inside our tent? (not the sleeping quarters, the awning area actually)

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	condensation.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	406780

    Wanted to see what a Comfort looked like behind our Platkar....

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dumped my metalian for a conqueror comfort.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	406781

    Nah, Metalian looks better.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	just joking.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	406782
    "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." John Wayne
    Platkar: 2002 Audi A4 1.8T 110kW Multitronic

    Swambo: 2014 Clio IV 0.9L 66kW Turbo Expression

    Camper Trailer: Metalian Maxi (Pi) & 2010 Howling Moon TTT

  21. #2378
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Much Wenlock
    Age
    41
    Posts
    10
    Thanked: 1

    Default Re: Metalian Maxi super thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Heinz Modricky View Post
    I'd suspect it is the brake wire that has lost contact or a connection somewhere. Start by checking inside the trailer plug, the next point will be at the rear. We use special connectors that press the contacts into each other. They're tied up between the internal steel plate and light fitting - look from inside the cupboard. maybe just unloosen and refasten the connector. (They have little levers that open and close)


    Hi
    thanks for the info. The brake lights work fine with no tail lights on its only when there on it doesn't work. Do you still think it's a poor connection ?
    Thanks again

  22. #2379
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Eldoraigne
    Age
    36
    Posts
    378
    Thanked: 37

    Default Re: Metalian Maxi super thread

    That sounds like an Earth problem

    Check your earth wire on the coupler.

    Rudu
    2007 Hilux 3.0d4d 4x4 DC - Mine
    2005 Hilux 3.0d4d 4x4 DC - Her's
    2008 3.2 did 4x4 DC Triton - Now with my Dad
    2006 Imagine Trailvan with Bunduawn 360

  23. #2380
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Sandton
    Age
    53
    Posts
    125
    Thanked: 7

    Default Re: Metalian Maxi super thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    Must admit the bike conundrum has me too. I tried last weekend the bikes between the car and trailer but Shew it's a close fit! Not nice! Bikes on back of trailer and one feels the stability effect. Only solution is bikes on nosecone...or roof... but then I have to use the truck lane at the toll roads?

    I mounted a back window bike carrier on my spare wheel.

    I then have three large bolts with 0 shape spread each end and middle on the top of my trailer frame with thick 4 mm 120mmx25 mm steal backing plates and washers. I use that with very taught bungy and webbing to hold the bikes up. No issues at all. Bikes once bounced lose.. My bad.

    I would like to see how that bike rack was mounted under the trailer.

    Lastly the Metalin midi I have which I sincerely appreciate seems to have the weight more forward so I am happy to add some weight to the back. I never even noticed the bikes on the back or not.
    Last edited by Cape2cario; 2016/06/13 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Bike rack

Similar Threads

  1. Trailer crashed, Namibia
    By Biggles in forum Trailers, Caravans, Towing etc
    Replies: 161
    Last Post: 2016/09/11, 08:39 AM
  2. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 2015/12/19, 06:10 PM
  3. Metalian Maxi for Rent from Kubu 4x4
    By Jannie Kubu4x4 in forum Commercial Member Adverts
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 2013/08/12, 11:52 AM
  4. Can a closed thread be reactivated?
    By Eggie in forum The 4x4 Pub
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 2013/06/09, 08:14 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •