Metalian Maxi super thread - Page 110

Page 110 of 152 FirstFirst ... 10 60 85 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 135 ... LastLast
Results 2,181 to 2,200 of 3025

Most tow hitches can handle from 100 - 150kg static weight so I don't think it is too heavy.
    2014 Pajero 3.2DiD SWB

Quote Originally Posted by Bartman71 View Post
    So weight at towball was about 100kg which I think is a bit heavy. No matter what I moved it didn't help much. Would having the spare wheel bracket fitted and moving the spare to the rear help with the towball weight?
    It would help BUT if you then fill the spare wheel well with beer it isn't going to.

What about putting spare wheel in the back of your Fortuner? Then put lighter items in the spare wheel well.
    "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." John Wayne
    Platkar: 2002 Audi A4 1.8T 110kW Multitronic

Swambo: 2014 Clio IV 0.9L 66kW Turbo Expression

Camper Trailer: Metalian Maxi (Pi) & 2010 Howling Moon TTT

So weight at towball was about 100kg which I think is a bit heavy. No matter what I moved it didn't help much. Would having the spare wheel bracket fitted and moving the spare to the rear help with the towball weight?
    It is the see saw principle take from the front and add to the rear.
    For arguments sake say the wheel weighs all of 35 kg, add that to the weight of the rear bracket and you have quite a few kg that you add to the back.
    100 kg Is about the max you want on the nose
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

Tks Henk. It makes sense. I may have to visit you in July on my way to KNP to have one fitted or try have it done in E.L. before then.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.4 4x4 auto
    Metalian Maxi
    2014 Jeep Cherokee 3,2 Limited AWD A/T (swambo)

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.6 Overland (sold)
    2011 Fortuner 3 D4D 4x4 (sold)

Collected my Maxi from Gareth about two weeks ago after 2 years of very happy Mini ownership.
    Why the change to a Maxi you might ask. Well we are the Western Cape Distributors of Bundutec and do a number of Agri and Outdoor Expo's.
    Seeing that my tent (which we try to sell) is fitted to the mini I discussed the possibility with Heinz to exhibit Metalian as well. See we are there already and get numerous questions.
    To this end I bought a Metalian canopy to fit the Hilux at the end of 2014 and have been using Heinz's demo Maxi when required.
    The trouble started at the Stellenbosch Agri Expo in September this year. The Maxi started growing on me.
    I made the huge mistake to mention to Swambo that I quite like the Maxi. (I still love my Mini and would not part with it)
    Well the rest is history.
    Due to a very busy year Sundays were required to fit my Bundutop to the Maxi. Doing some electricery and fitting the fridges.
    I was a bit worried about the weight of the trailer as a quick calculation of fridges, content, water, tents, you know the story
    added up to around 700kg.
    Well I hitched the Maxi behind the Patrol and we left Ceres yesterday at around 11h30. As I usually do I get of the blacktop as soon as I can and drove via Sutherland (thought I'd camp there only to be told I should have pre-booked), Williston and on to Verneukpan. About 600km of which more than 550 was on dirt.
    The Maxi on 255/85/16's just followed the Patrol. At times I forgot I was towing anything.
    The added weight and bigger tyres must be the trick. It is even better than the Mini and I thought that was the ultimate. I was prepared to sacrifice ease of towing for the additional space.
    Well as I sit here in the Kgalagadi (having done 50km dirt and over 300km tar) I wonder how it is possible that a trailer weighing in at more than 1100kg can feel so light.
    Totally dust free, incredibly stable and an absolute pleasure to tow.
    All I can say is WOW.
    Now you might say my praise is due to the fact that I try and sell these things. Unfortunately for Heinz I have too much German blood to lay praise where it does not belong.
    Yeah I hear you if there are no pictures it did not happen. I am too stupid to post pictures from my phone. I will post some tomorrow once the old laptop is started up.
    My only worry now is that the Mini will not be used any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Abri Hoffman View Post
    Collected my Maxi from Gareth about two weeks ago after 2 years of very happy Mini ownership....................................
    My only worry now is that the Mini will not be used any more.
    Do not worry, your mini will always have a special place in your heart. I also have both and believe me the little mini is king for touring and quick one night stops and more than adequate for two people (and a grand child)

Enjoy both of your Metalians they are in a different league.
    Henk

Follow us on Facebook

Thats true Henk. Hence the reason for keeping it.
    I was mentally prepared for a heavy trailer and the Maxi really impressed in that regard.

Ok guys so I'm trying to flush my tanks so filled them up. Then noticed water running down this white pipe that is visible from spare wheel well (see pic). So now quite a bit of water in the area where the tanks are and some running out underneath where the pipes come out.

I let some water out and it stopped so therefore must be the filler. Looking into the filler, it starts with flexible hose then goes into a metal pipe so could be this join that is leaking?

So now how the hell do you get to this cos it's all closed up from the kitchen side with carpeting and the tap unit etc?

How is the inlet plumbed to the 2x tanks?

Another thing is with the pump switched on but taps closed, it makes a tick sound every now and again. Is this normal?

Another thing I find strange is the appearance of what appears to be surface rust on the joins etc on internal parts of the trailer if it got wet. Why would this happen if its SS and powder coated? Thanks guys. I appreciate all the comments and help thus far.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1450617091000.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	148.0 KB 
ID:	381110
    Last edited by Bartman71; 2015/12/20 at 03:48 PM.
    Metalian Maxi

Post Water woes

Ok guys so I'm trying to flush my tanks so filled them up. Then noticed water running down this white pipe that is visible from spare wheel well (see pic). So now quite a bit of water in the area where the tanks are and some running out underneath where the pipes come out.

I let some water out and it stopped so therefore must be the filler. Looking into the filler, it starts with flexible hose then goes into a metal pipe so could be this join that is leaking?

So now how the hell do you get to this cos it's all closed up from the kitchen side with carpeting and the tap unit etc?

How is the inlet plumbed to the 2x tanks?

Another thing is with the pump switched on but taps closed, it makes a tick sound every now and again. Is this normal?

Another thing I find strange is the appearance of what appears to be surface rust on the joins etc on internal parts of the trailer if it got wet. Why would this happen if its SS and powder coated? Thanks guys. I appreciate all the comments and help thus far.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1450617091000.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	148.0 KB 
ID:	381110
    Bartman71, what did you break now??

Are you sure leak not from top of tanks? Filler should overflow out of inlet port, else it's pipe may have come off on the inside (see pic red circle) or is leaking (blue circle, no clamp on ours)?

If you want access you'll have to remove the carpet... Sika it back afterwards.

Inlet runs to one tank (kitchen side) and the interlinking pipe you can see underneath trailer allows two tanks to equalize levels. Takes a few minutes. I fill from underneath and our bedroom side tank fills faster than kitchen side so I normally flood trailer there. ... until I started using house water meter to measure Litres loaded instead of running back and forth.

We also have "tik" (more like "zzzzt") sound now and then. Seems it is pump re-establishing pressure and is normal. We keep switch off and tap closed till needed.

I had same question re "rust" on some welded joints and Heinz took the time to carefully explain to me what it was... it was very interesting and I was satisfied with the explanation BUT I didn't take notes so can't recall now. Help Heinz/Henk !!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Funny man HB

Nothing broken - yet

My filler cap is outside beneath the kitchen door. I cant see where it goes to cos of all the carpeting. The pump is situated in the rear behind the tanks next to the battery. If you look at this pic you can see the metal pipe which has been inserted into the plastic pipe.

[IMG]Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1450622660578.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	381113[/IMG]
    Metalian Maxi

Funny man HB

Nothing broken - yet

My filler cap is outside beneath the kitchen door. I cant see where it goes to cos of all the carpeting. The pump is situated in the rear behind the tanks next to the battery. If you look at this pic you can see the metal pipe which has been inserted into the plastic pipe.

[IMG]Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1450622660578.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	381113[/IMG]
    Mmm, not sure now. Our filler port (located inside trailer to right of fridge slider - early series 40) has a hole at top which allows air to vent to outside... but I don't see that on yours... or is it that metal pipe? But then you should have lots of spillage if venting as you fill up.

Was this the first time you filled your tanks up completely?

Yes I thought they were full previously but I think flow rate was too high and air couldn't escape quick enough. Filled up slowly today. No leaks at the tank covers.

My filler does have a breather hole.
    Last edited by Bartman71; 2015/12/20 at 05:26 PM.
    Metalian Maxi

Here's a pic of the breather
    Metalian Maxi

What we actually need is a probe with camera on the end so you can poke it through an existing 6mm diameter hole and look around inside. I can just see the headlines.... "Metalian undergoes keyhole surgery to fix a leak"

OK, so the metal pipe you show must be one to your water tank. What was the conclusion then cause too fast a rate shouldn't flood inside of your Maxi...

No the fast rate was a previous fill up and water came out the filler so I presumed it was full but it wasn't.

Must be the join in the pic. Where else?
    Metalian Maxi

No the fast rate was a previous fill up and water came out the filler so I presumed it was full but it wasn't.

Must be the join in the pic. Where else?
    You mentioned you "noticed water running down this white pipe that is visible from spare wheel well". That pipe is coming from your pump and going to kitchen tap. The white 2-core cable runs to your pump switch. I think water is in the the area under the tap (the carpeted area you cannot access) and is just emptying through the inlet hole at the bottom that the pump pipe enters. That then floods between the tanks.

I would agree that one of the joins is suspect and I'll bet you don't have a hose clamp on it.

Opening up seems best bet, maybe post pic of area that would need to be opened.

That sound's about right HB. This is the area Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1450630410176.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	107.2 KB 
ID:	381155

Heinz or Henk did a good job here.. don't want to stuff it up unnecessarily but I think it's the only way in.
    Metalian Maxi

That sound's about right HB. This is the area Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1450630410176.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	107.2 KB 
ID:	381155

Heinz or Henk did a good job here.. don't want to stuff it up unnecessarily but I think it's the only way in.
    Before stripping that area I would suggest you check the tank covers. 99% Of leaks are from them rather than any of the other plumbing. The white pipe you are referring to is the one from the outlet manifold of the two tanks that feeds the pump. it has no or very little pressure and probably forms a capillary bridge with the top of the tank, letting water out will drop the level below the tank covers and thus stopping the leak.

How to get to the Metalian tanks. If you are like me and have a figgure like the Michelin man or Oros man then the only way is to remove the rear drawers, it sounds hectic but takes less than 5 minutes in and out. The other way involves som contortion and I guarantee you you will forget half the stuff you need and find out when inside the maxi belly. Simply pull the drawers out and crawl in from the front bedroom door side with the fridge out. A slim person can fit beneath the grid. Either way fit the stabilizers before working.

Enough has been said about the tank lids to the point that Heinz offers an upgrade at reasonable cost. Either way I still prefer Sika or equivalent polyurethane sealant, other stuff does not stick. Some folks have mentioned a possibility of odor in the water but I have never had any come back or experience from my own 2 trailers.

For what it's worth, to date I have not had one filler pipe leak..........yet
    Henk

Follow us on Facebook

Tks Henk. I checked the tank covers and they were bone dry. I could see water running down the pipe which is higher than the tanks. Fortunately I'm slim and trim so was able to get into the spare wheel area easily.
    Metalian Maxi

Just to explain the water route in simpler terms. Firstly we've had a few different scenarios but they all follow the same "piping".

Water is filled through the filler cap which mostly has had a breather. If it does not have a breather pipe, it's not too serious because the opening is wide enough to expel the air in the first tank through the inlet. On our current system we have done away with a breather on the inlet.

The inlet fitting is connected via a flexible pipe to a stainless steel pipe that is bolted to the tank. This occurs at the base of the cupboard. From 2016 this fitting will be fixed with an internal brass flange nut and silicone washer (we're moving away from all sealants.)

From here the water fills up the first tank and simultaneously the second tank via a stainless steel branch that is fitted under the trailer. On some trailers two/three years ago, we tried using plastic John Guest fittings in this area, but went back to the SS branch.

So the water exits the trailer from the first tank and re-enters the trailer into the second tank from underneath.

The second tank has a breather which exits the second tank in the same position as the inlet on the first tank. This breather is fitted with a short piece of flexible pipe. On models for the last two/three years, we've also fitted a filter at the end of this pipe to prevent wasps (and others from entering the tank through this pipe.)

The water is extracted from the tanks via the SS branch at the base of the trailer. Here the pipe re-enters the trailer and is piped to the pump, and from there through the filter (if this is fitted) and on to the tap.

A pump that "tuks" every so often is losing pressure, either through a leak, or maybe in one of the valves of the pump. I'd say a "tuk" every 15 seconds to be acceptable, but if this is less than this, I'd open the pump and clean the rubber valves - it's a simple job and not much can go wrong doing this.

Stainless steel is available in different grades, and all grades less than 316 will rust (even 316 gets a bit of a brown coating in severe conditions). For 3CR12 ("poor mans" stainless), you will get some browning at points that are exposed. Best is to treat the areas that are leaching with a bit of Bardol (gun oil) Tectyl or similar. You can also seal over the seam with a bit of sikaflex or similar sealant.