Metalian Maxi super thread - Page 107

Page 107 of 152 FirstFirst ... 7 57 82 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 132 ... LastLast
Results 2,121 to 2,140 of 3035

Quote Originally Posted by roarman75 View Post
    The pipe is neatly done but don't you run the risk of a stone puncturing the soft pipe while travelling and potentially loosing most of your water. Would it not be better to store the soft pipe in the trailer and only attach it when needed?
    Agreed re risks Rory. Pic was of previous owners soft PVC pipe installation which has been replaced (no pic yet) with black irrigation pipe. I should actually put a small ballcock at the outlet of the tanks and then the pipe and ball valve that you see mounted at rear.
    At least I have a valid reason for getting the extra valve now, thanks.
    "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." John Wayne
    Platkar: 2002 Audi A4 1.8T 110kW Multitronic

Swambo: 2014 Clio IV 0.9L 66kW Turbo Expression

Camper Trailer: Metalian Maxi (Pi) & 2010 Howling Moon TTT

HI Honey Badger - just a afterthought - when you have sorted out the leak and everything is up and running.

what we do before we go on a trip - we put in bottle of millerton in the tanks with some water. let it stand overnight and then flush the system before we put in water. just to help clear any nasty buggies that might be in the tanks when standing for a while.
    “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”
    Dr. Seuss

JohanVisser's Swambo

Platkar - Volvo V40 D3 (woelwater)
    Platkar - VW Polo 1.2 TDI Bluemotion*sold*
    Platkar - VW Vivo 1.6*sold*

Quote Originally Posted by LadyangeL View Post
    HI Honey Badger - just a afterthought - when you have sorted out the leak and everything is up and running.

what we do before we go on a trip - we put in bottle of millerton in the tanks with some water. let it stand overnight and then flush the system before we put in water. just to help clear any nasty buggies that might be in the tanks when standing for a while.

Be very careful Miltons in high concentrations will corrode the pewter metal that the pump seals and housing are made from Do NOT use high concentrations Milton is very effective even at very low concentration look on the container for the recommended strength for baby bottles
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

Hello Henk, please reply to my PM but I can bring the Maxi through on Friday afternoon instead if it is more convenient for you. Thank you sir
    2014 Pajero 3.2DiD SWB

Quote Originally Posted by Honey Badger View Post
    Hi guys, going to need some assistance here to fix a water leak from the top access panel of one water tank (Maxi, 2 x 75L system). All nuts were pretty tight but we could see water oozing out on the one side.

Couple of pics attached to show what I found... bolts and some washers rusted from the leak. Previous owner did say he opened tanks at one time to clean some debris/glue. You can see lower cup (through the open port ) that protrudes below body of trailer to ensure tanks empty completely.

Quite scary how many small pieces of plastic and rust were inside tanks. That in-line mesh strainer I don't have is going in before I use tanks again.

Henk - you mention in a post to "open and reseal the tank's lid, clean the stainless with a bit of acetone to remove all traces of oil and don't be afraid of the sika it is your friend" - where would I put Sika? Do I get rid of the rubber seal and replace with Sika? Or do I use both? Is Sikaflex 552AT the one?

Heinz - I note the switch to Stainless Steel and better access port - saw the new ones at Ultimate Overland recently - nice. We checked our tanks for the water taste problem and traced it to a 1.5m PVC pipe the previous owner used to fill from underneath. Tossed the pipe, replaced with good old garden irrigation pipe (thanks for idea Henk) and did multiple tests and no more bad taste at all.

Thanks for any help.
    As part of my quest to get rid of the chemical taste in the water I replaced the sika and rubber gasket setup with food grade sponge of about 5mm thick. My reasoning was that the existing gasket is to hard and thin so it cant form or mold to the uneven top surface of the water tank when you put the stainless lid on. The water tanks are not under any pressure so you need a gasket that can stop sloshing water from leaking which a spongy material works for.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques Marais View Post
    As part of my quest to get rid of the chemical taste in the water I replaced the sika and rubber gasket setup with food grade sponge of about 5mm thick. My reasoning was that the existing gasket is to hard and thin so it cant form or mold to the uneven top surface of the water tank when you put the stainless lid on. The water tanks are not under any pressure so you need a gasket that can stop sloshing water from leaking which a spongy material works for.
    Jacques, are you sure you had Sika on your original rubber gasket?
    If not, then maybe source of chemical taste was elsewhere... like filling with a hosepipe?

If Sika imparts a chemical taste then I am going to be . In our tests no chemical taste any longer BUT Sika is about to be introduced to the mix.

If not, then maybe source of chemical taste was elsewhere... like filling with a hosepipe?

If Sika imparts a chemical taste then I am going to be . In our tests no chemical taste any longer BUT Sika is about to be introduced to the mix.
    So will I. I have it on both my trailers and just about every metalian with water tanks and that is about 80%, Heinz also uses sika
    Henk

Follow us on Facebook

Just do a tongue tip test before using Sika 😃
    2020 FJ Cruiser, 2020 Audi Q5S Tdi, 2019 VW Tiguan 4motion 2.0tsi(work vehicle), 2019 FJ Cruiser, Bush Lapa ?, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha FT100hp 4st.

The tanks were fitted up here by Henk so yes, they definitely had sika on the gaskets. I didn't have time to figure out where the funny taste came from so I replaced the gaskets and piping and added an in line filter. That took care of it.

Quote Originally Posted by hbannink View Post
    Be very careful Miltons in high concentrations will corrode the pewter metal that the pump seals and housing are made from Do NOT use high concentrations Milton is very effective even at very low concentration look on the container for the recommended strength for baby bottles
    and how many times did we go camp this year sir? its not like it was 1 once every 4 weeks - eis
    “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”
    Dr. Seuss

JohanVisser's Swambo

Platkar - Volvo V40 D3 (woelwater)
    Platkar - VW Polo 1.2 TDI Bluemotion*sold*
    Platkar - VW Vivo 1.6*sold*

Quote Originally Posted by LadyangeL View Post
    and how many times did we go camp this year sir? its not like it was 1 once every 4 weeks - eis
    More a case of a little goes a loooong way, Heinz gave me a heads up with heavy concentrations.

Se vir Vis hy moet by die huis bly dan kan julle gaan kamp
    Henk

Follow us on Facebook

Going to fetch my Maxi from Ultimate Overland this afternoon. Been there for the last few weeks for some fixes to the water system and a little bit of Jenny's magic paintbrush! Just a bit to start with mind you but I have no doubt that,as we settle into it a bit more, it'll be back for more "UO bejazzlement"!

Can't wait to see what they've done!
    Gary

Current: Khumo AT KL78; EFS Suspension; Stofpad Rock Sliders; Stofpad Bashplate
    Proud Owner: Metalian Maxi
    When budget allows: Air helpers; Snorkel (not necessarily in that order)

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Bateleur View Post
    Going to fetch my Maxi from Ultimate Overland this afternoon. Been there for the last few weeks for some fixes to the water system and a little bit of Jenny's magic paintbrush! Just a bit to start with mind you but I have no doubt that,as we settle into it a bit more, it'll be back for more "UO bejazzlement"!

Can't wait to see what they've done!
    You gotta post some pics ASAP. I thought Jenny only used an industrial sewing machine, not a paintbrush

"Few weeks..." I couldn't let our baby Maxi stay away from home so long. How did you manage without her?

You gotta post some pics ASAP. I thought Jenny only used an industrial sewing machine, not a paintbrush

"Few weeks..." I couldn't let our baby Maxi stay away from home so long. How did you manage without her?

Some of Jenny's work is a work of art... might as well be a paintbrush!

Wasn't easy, trust me. Felt like forever but as they say - "no pain, no gain"!

Will post photies as soon as I can...
    Gary

Default water leak

I also had a problem with water dripping constantly from under my maxi. After some investigation and some sika my problem was solved. For some reason the bottom fitting in the one tanks was leaking. Sika really does give silicon a bad name. In afrikaans we have a saying, "Sit soos %$#% aan 'n wolkombers", but this sika stuff is even worse!

I must be honest, I'm a bit concerned about the Sika in the water system. As mentioned, my trailer was at Henk's for some fixes to the water system amongst others. I filled up the tanks last night with the intention of leaving in there for the day and then flushing it again tonight. My concern is that whilst filling, the air being expelled from the filler inlet had a very strong chemical "aroma" to it - I really hope that this doesn't permeate into the water as it'll be undrinkable. I'll do a "taste test" when I get home this evening but I'm going to flush it daily anyway until I leave (on Thursday) and will see where I stand then. Hopefully I have nothing to be worried about.

As to the "other work" that was done - all I can say is "WOW!" Jenny and her team did some superb work. I'm doing a little bit at a time, as I get a clearer image of exactly what I want, where I want, etc. The proof of the pudding as they say, is in the eating so here are some photies.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20151122_15_38_25_Pro.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	377499   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20151122_14_44_06_Pro.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	377500   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20151122_14_42_37_Pro.jpg 
Views:	288 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	377501   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20151122_14_41_44_Pro.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	377503   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20151122_14_42_07_Pro.jpg 
Views:	282 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	377505  
    Gary

Default Nice canvas caddies Bateleur

Very nice canvas work yet again on a Metalian.
    Love that fridge cover with pockets for all kinds of kitchen goodies.... gotta get Swambo one of them.... AND the fridge too.

The Sika-fix on our one water tank lid is drying (how long should I leave it?). Maybe just initial fumes that were trapped being given off? Holding thumbs for both of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Bateleur View Post
    I must be honest, I'm a bit concerned about the Sika in the water system. As mentioned, my trailer was at Henk's for some fixes to the water system amongst others. I filled up the tanks last night with the intention of leaving in there for the day and then flushing it again tonight. My concern is that whilst filling, the air being expelled from the filler inlet had a very strong chemical "aroma" to it - I really hope that this doesn't permeate into the water as it'll be undrinkable. I'll do a "taste test" when I get home this evening but I'm going to flush it daily anyway until I leave (on Thursday) and will see where I stand then. Hopefully I have nothing to be worried about.

As to the "other work" that was done - all I can say is "WOW!" Jenny and her team did some superb work. I'm doing a little bit at a time, as I get a clearer image of exactly what I want, where I want, etc. The proof of the pudding as they say, is in the eating so here are some photies.
    Very, very nice work.

Stunning

Lightbulb Furnlock keys

Tried Furnlock for additional keys for nose cone pressure lever locks. We only have one key and I just know it is going to "walk" one-day. Again Furnlock let themselves down saying I have to buy new locks to get the matching keys.
    Nee wat, nou moet ek 'n ander plan maak.
    Searched through about 1,000 keys at Henk's some weeks ago but no luck. One day at Comet Caravans in Boksburg I saw a big box of keys through the glass counter-top. Searched through those and within seconds found TEN of the ones I was looking for.

Salesman would have probably given me two gratis except just then BIG BOSS walked past and tried to charge me R50 for one key. So after some negotiating I paid R25 each for two keys. Problem solved.

The lock barrels have numbers on them (like E 04). If you let me have the number, I can always check my stock of keys, We fit these to all our canopies and have many spare keys. I won't charge you if you collect or send someone to collect from me or from Henk.