Metalian Maxi super thread - Page 102

Page 102 of 152 FirstFirst ... 2 52 77 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 127 ... LastLast
Results 2,021 to 2,040 of 3035

A question to Henk or Heinz:
    My trailer has about 8 to 10 thousand km on, 1.5 year old. I jacked it up last weekend to feel the bearings, it feels smooth and quiet when turning but when I take the wheel with both hands left and right and rock it there is about 2mm play and the sound of a little play. Is it normal or need the bearings a bit tensioning?
    Choose life

We returned yesterday from 4 nights in Kruger. We stayed at Berg-en-dal and we really liked the campsite. We got a good spot near the fence and on the first night a spotted Hyena came to visit along the fence. The Maxi was once again very easy to setup and take down and use for the 4 days. Towing there and back was also simple and stable, the diesel Pajero using an average of 12.9L/100km according to the onboard computer. Here are a few pics:

2014 Pajero 3.2DiD SWB

Looks awesome Kurt. Glad you enjoyed! Looks like the little ones had a blast too.
    Last edited by Bateleur; 2015/08/15 at 10:29 PM.
    Gary

Current: Khumo AT KL78; EFS Suspension; Stofpad Rock Sliders; Stofpad Bashplate
    Proud Owner: Metalian Maxi
    When budget allows: Air helpers; Snorkel (not necessarily in that order)

Hi All

I have been going through this thread, which was a lot like a pub visit (nog net een drink drink/post lees). Pitching my Tentco frame tent for a weekend is putting some strain on the marriage, so in the interest in self preservation, I am convinced that I need a Maxi, and I am sure I am at the right place. I would however like some advice regarding the setup.

I have 2 small children, 2/4, and would like something spacious for us. Also, worth noting, I am 6ft7 / 2.04m tall, so a suitable bed setup would be nice.

Then, as a point of interest, how much weight is on the tow ball?

Thanks in advance.

Ps. If someone has grown tired of theirs, I am willing to take it off their hands. (Not driving to Zambia for it though Sorry Bertie

Quote Originally Posted by Veldjakkals View Post
    Hi All

........................................ I need a Maxi, ................................
    I am a stones throw from you, pop in and come and see what the Maxi looks like and can do in the flesh. We can rearrange they bed configuration with a bed extention so that you have a bed 2m wide by 2 -2,5m long

More often than not a new Maxi is less than a previously loved one amd you don't have to go to Zambia we will import it from the cape
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

Got to say, the best part of a decent sized trailer is a decent bed.

I can't remember which make I have on mine - but the bed is bigger than my king size extra length at home.

huge side tent.

only way to camp!

Thanks Henk... I already got the docs from Jenny, but I will make a plan to swing by you, but I am still a bit scared of what might be seen. What has been seen, cannot be unseen.

Apocalypse - nou maak hom oop en gaan kyk.

What should be considered an acceptable time to setup camp. Currently it take us about 2 hours, but we have Bak en Terie that kindly assists, so we could probably do it in 90 min without their help.

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post

Super looking camp set-up Apoc!

-Although I would not have pegged you as a 'paraffin-lamp' type of camper-rather a modern 'solar-jar' man![/QUOTE]

Paraffin lamps are a must! Keeps the flys away - I hate flies !!! Took about an hour to set up - hard labour too. Now I know why the colonists sent an advance party up ahead to set up camp and ensure the gin and tonic was waiting !!!

Have to mention, the trailer tows like a dream - and I'm always impressed with this little 90. Tows like a little steam engine at 11km /liter .

All worth it though, just had my first espresso out of the kitchen ...

Only issues - 1 pole and 1 guy rope short on the tent , not a biggy - and the control panel is having a moment with DC charging... I've connected the solar panels (thanks southerndreams!!) directly to the battery , they are making 13.2 volts so all is very very happy right now!
    Sheesh. Packing up the Taj Mahal is quite a workout...
    The Howling moon is great - I can pick a couple of faults, but they really are very minor.

I don't think any tent that big is going to be a 5 minute job to pack up!!!!

It was very very hot and the sun was shining on my lard very brightly while I did the necessary....

far too much sweat and not enough gin and tonic was involved....
    Quote Originally Posted by Veldjakkals View Post
    Thanks Henk... I already got the docs from Jenny, but I will make a plan to swing by you, but I am still a bit scared of what might be seen. What has been seen, cannot be unseen.

Apocalypse - nou maak hom oop en gaan kyk.

What should be considered an acceptable time to setup camp. Currently it take us about 2 hours, but we have Bak en Terie that kindly assists, so we could probably do it in 90 min without their help.

An hour on my own to put up, same to put it down. People know better than to 'assist' me in times such as these. they must just pass beer when it looks like I'm flagging

but that is the main room, plus the add a room, plus the extended awning, plus the side panels, which is probably about 45sqm of living area....

I've lived in smaller flats
    Last edited by Apocalypse; 2015/08/16 at 03:23 PM.

Having he youngsters help actually saves time, you don't have to run off and go find them
    On my Mini it takes all of 6 minutes to get everything sorted and that is wit too much talking and hanna hanna. A maxi with all the awnings and doodas would probably take a good 20 minutes to pitch.

The Taj mahal should not be more than 30 -40 min
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by hbannink View Post
    Having he youngsters help actually saves time, you don't have to run off and go find them
    On my Mini it takes all of 6 minutes to get everything sorted and that is wit too much talking and hanna hanna. A maxi with all the awnings and doodas would probably take a good 20 minutes to pitch.

The Taj mahal should not be more than 30 -40 min
    Look, it was the first time and there was much reading of instructions and folding up the tent 3 times to my satisfaction.

and one must never underestimate the additional effort involved when you've had tyres and springs fitted that make the trailer some 120mm higher than a standard one....

Honestly, the biggest aggravation is the extension awning.

One of these days I will find the time to sort a few things out - the whiskey bar is nowhere near and I have a couple of ideas to be rid of the extension awning....

the add a room is a good 15 minutes on it's own, and basically, it became a place to put in all the stuff that no one could be bothered to stow properly for 2 weeks and for the dogs to sleep. We got it for Ruby, who discovered she'd actually rather not be in the main tent with her Mom and myself , and stayed in a ground tent with some of the other kids.

so that's not going up ever again.

in fact, looking around, I am considering changing the tent for something else - depends on whether I can get my 'wing style' awning done sometime soon.

so the whole lot might be up for sale soon!

Setup time depends on the setup. I also have two kids, they sleep in the tent on a bunk stretcher. Simple setup takes a few minutes, pop open the tent, two poles, a few pegs and done. Takes longer to sort bunk and bedding than anything else. 20mins? Longer setup takes a bit longer. Big awning is about 9 Poles, and ground sheets,etc... so all depends on setup.

For us, generally it takes longer to figure out our orientation and get level, or to get the trailer clean...

We do mostly one nighters so have a very simple setup.
    Dale
    F150 4x4 5.4 Triton V8
    Series 3 Land Rover 109 SW
    GU Patrol 3.0Di GL
    Metalian Maxi in RED

well....

A sneak preview...

I was lucky enough to pop into see Heinz the other day and saw part of the new 'urbanite' rig....

trailer and tent are ridiculously light. Tent and trailer are 'clever' . I reckon you'd be set up in 5 or 10 minutes if it was just 2 people. and that includes tables and chairs.

but for a big set up for a couple of kids and so on.... it's going to be an hour before you can put your feet up.... tables/chairs/beds made etc. Don't see how you'd get it down seriously unless you had a motorsport type pit drill...

Quote Originally Posted by Coenoes View Post
    A question to Henk or Heinz:
    My trailer has about 8 to 10 thousand km on, 1.5 year old. I jacked it up last weekend to feel the bearings, it feels smooth and quiet when turning but when I take the wheel with both hands left and right and rock it there is about 2mm play and the sound of a little play. Is it normal or need the bearings a bit tensioning?
    Coenoes, you have to have play on the bearings, the question is how much do you have that bothers you. If you're concerned you can take off the dust cap, remove the split pin and move the castle nut one position tighter, but if that eliminates the play, you need to take it back to original position. You need to hear or feel a small tik tik as you jiggle the wheel.

It can be that the bearing racer was not 100% seated at the time of fitting the bearings (but I doubt it).

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz Modricky View Post
    Coenoes, you have to have play on the bearings, the question is how much do you have that bothers you. If you're concerned you can take off the dust cap, remove the split pin and move the castle nut one position tighter, but if that eliminates the play, you need to take it back to original position. You need to hear or feel a small tik tik as you jiggle the wheel.

It can be that the bearing racer was not 100% seated at the time of fitting the bearings (but I doubt it).
    Thanks Heinz. It is that small tik tik that i could feel and hear. I did not know it is supposed to be like that.
    Great trailer, I'm still proud of it everyday
    Choose life

Default metalian

just a quick heads up, my Metalian Maxi will shortly be up for sale, so if anyone is interested please pm me for more details prior to me listing it. was built late 2013 and delivered Feb 2014.
    2020 FJ Cruiser, 2020 Audi Q5S Tdi, 2019 VW Tiguan 4motion 2.0tsi(work vehicle), 2019 FJ Cruiser, Bush Lapa ?, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha FT100hp 4st.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    just a quick heads up, my Metalian Maxi will shortly be up for sale, so if anyone is interested please pm me for more details prior to me listing it. was built late 2013 and delivered Feb 2014.

Tell us why please?
    2014 Pajero 3.2DiD SWB

two words........Bush Lapa!!!!
    2020 FJ Cruiser, 2020 Audi Q5S Tdi, 2019 VW Tiguan 4motion 2.0tsi(work vehicle), 2019 FJ Cruiser, Bush Lapa ?, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha FT100hp 4st.

I love my Maxi but due to my wife's bad hip we have decided to make camping easier and go for BL.

two words........Bush Lapa!!!!
    One word: ......... Traitor!!!!.
    Choose life

I love my Maxi but due to my wife's bad hip we have decided to make camping easier and go for BL.
    Yes I can believe that a trailer top tent can be impossible with a bad hip or as one gets older.

But for me I will not survive in a claustrophobic caravan like the BL even if it is one of the best designed and manufactured bush caravans on the market.