CTEK Chargers - Page 5

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: CTEK Chargers

The ones you can find at this time of battery drought😉
    2012 Fortuner D4D 4x4
    Metalian Maxi

Ek gebruik net my sonpanele (2×90) en Ctek dc2dc om my LC batterye(2×120) te laai . LC batterye is nou 33 maande oud en het 2x3maande en 3x 1maand toere agter die rug en is nog springlewendig.
    Cruiser 76 EFI 4.5 FullTime 4x4
    Cruiser 78 4.2 Diesel
    Cruiser 79 4.2 Diesel Full Time 4x4

Guys, I am not saying anything bad about Ctek or Liquid Crystals, and certainly not having a go at George.

From my point of view there is sufficient element of doubt with the High Voltage Chargers (Not just Ctek, all of them), and Liquid Crystal Combo for me to stay away.

If you want unbeatable bank for the buck high performance look at these.

http://offgriddiy.co.za/productrange...-ah-omnipower/

Something designed specifically for the job.

If not those then I would, and in fact do, use Discover batteries.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

That was helpfull!.thx

Quote Originally Posted by maxibelgium View Post
    Fluffy: i have a ctek dc to dc 250 and a ctek 25 amps charger for 220v.

Still have to buy two batteries...what kind of batt do you recommend?

Ronald
    Hi Ronald as I have already replied to you on your pm, here some info for the wider audience.

What I have found is that with big AGM batteries such as the VARTA E14 (Same size as a Lead acid 658 or a VARTA H3)when charging with the * or AGM mode, it goes into pulse charge after about 7-10 days, whereas when charging with the normal or "car" mode it takes much longer to do that.

And I would definitely go for Deep Cycle batteries for your trailer setup.

Ronald regarding your question of extended absence in Belgium, just disconnect the LC batteries before you leave and reconnect them upon your return to SA. One of the specific advantages of LC batteries is, that they hold their charge much longer.Once you are back, you can give them a booster charge before venturing off again.
    Last edited by hgbosch; 2015/05/17 at 11:32 PM.
    George Bosch
    2003 RangeRover Vogue 3.0 Td6 (Mine) / 2005 LR Disco3 TDV6 S (Swambo's) / 1998 Disco1 Tdi ES (Sold) / And some more serious stuff

Distributor for:
    DEFAProjectaSignature.png

Special offers for 4X4community forum members on CTEK! Send PM with your email address for details

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    As a distributor of Ctek I hope you are prepared to stand by that advise.

Cteks have allegedly killed more than one Lead Crystal on this forum.
    Hi Fluffy

as LC batteries hold their charge much longer, when sitting idle, I would disconnect the batteries in time of non use and charge them before going onto a trip.

As you also know Fluffy, what kills those LC batteries is sustained charging without them carrying any load. That is why it is better to disconnect them when not being used. And do a periodic charge on them.
    George Bosch
    2003 RangeRover Vogue 3.0 Td6 (Mine) / 2005 LR Disco3 TDV6 S (Swambo's) / 1998 Disco1 Tdi ES (Sold) / And some more serious stuff

Distributor for:

Special offers for 4X4community forum members on CTEK! Send PM with your email address for details

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Guys, I am not saying anything bad about Ctek or Liquid Crystals, and certainly not having a go at George.

From my point of view there is sufficient element of doubt with the High Voltage Chargers (Not just Ctek, all of them), and Liquid Crystal Combo for me to stay away.

If you want unbeatable bank for the buck high performance look at these.

http://offgriddiy.co.za/productrange...-ah-omnipower/

Something designed specifically for the job.

If not those then I would, and in fact do, use Discover batteries.
    Thank you Fluffy for that very valuable link.

That seems to be the smart (albeit expensive) way.

I myself have had some bad luck with a 6V LC battery that I had in Swambo's 356A.

Replaced one after 18 months because as I found out (the hard expensive way) that LC batteries do not like to be connected to a charger, whose max float charge rating is too close to the Ah rating of the battery.

Another fact about batteries I have found out in my research for a battery-based offgid system for our kaya, is that the capacity of the battery bank should be calculated such, that during a normal 2 - 4 hour loadshedding period, those batteries do not discharge down more than to a minimum of 60-70% residual charge.

This automatically means a bigger battery bank, but will be cheaper, as those only have to be replaced every 4.5 - 6 years, depending on quality of the battery and load/charge sensing equipment.

The further down a deep cycle battery is discharged, the lower the number of cycles, before cell degradation (% of holding charge) sets in.
    George Bosch

Distributor for:

Conclusion: agm more reliable then lc...discovery or omnipower it will be...
    Still dont undersrand if i have to add that ctek smartpass 250 to the ctek charger 250..?

Only two batt in the trailer, dont need to charge anything else...

Or...is it so that the smart pass charges bat 1 first and when full bat 2?

I see GWstore has the Omnipower on special, http://gwstore.co.za/specials/

Omnipower – 120A/h x 12v – R 2 308.67 incl VAT – New Stock 1st March
    Omnipower – 180A/h;x 12v;- R 3 454.48 incl VAT- New Stock 1st March
    Omnipower – 260A/h;x 12v;- R 4 661.91 incl VAT- New Stock 1st March
    Last edited by saskia; 2015/05/18 at 07:56 PM.
    Cobus
    Land Cruiser 200 4.6
    Imagine Comfortvan

Quote Originally Posted by saskia View Post
    I see GWstore has the Omnipower on special, http://gwstore.co.za/specials/
    That 120AH is 2/3 the price of a smaller LC.

That's not expensive, that's a bargain.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Quote Originally Posted by hgbosch View Post
    Hi Fluffy

as LC batteries hold their charge much longer, when sitting idle, I would disconnect the batteries in time of non use and charge them before going onto a trip.

As you also know Fluffy, what kills those LC batteries is sustained charging without them carrying any load. That is why it is better to disconnect them when not being used. And do a periodic charge on them.

Think I'm missing something here. Wasn't it advocated all along that smart chargers like the D250S, CTEK's 220v and other 220v chargers like the Bentons can be left connected to batteries indefinatly without causing any damage? I thaught the entire thing about the smart multi stage chargers was that they give to a battery only what it requiers and when, as in bulk or trickle charging. How then will something like a D250S damage a LC battery if permanently connected, isn't it suppose to just go in to the trickle/maintanence mode and keep it happy indefinatly?

Good post!

I am sure George will enlighten us.

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Deleted
    Last edited by Paul Dold; 2015/05/19 at 10:32 AM. Reason: double post

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    Think I'm missing something here. Wasn't it advocated all along that smart chargers like the D250S, CTEK's 220v and other 220v chargers like the Bentons can be left connected to batteries indefinatly without causing any damage? I thaught the entire thing about the smart multi stage chargers was that they give to a battery only what it requiers and when, as in bulk or trickle charging. How then will something like a D250S damage a LC battery if permanently connected, isn't it suppose to just go in to the trickle/maintanence mode and keep it happy indefinatly?
    Hi bigboy529

I have had some issues with a 6V LC battery as elaborated higher up. If the charger used has a maintenance charge limit equal to or slightly lower than the LC battery in question, then it can happen, that such charger does not go into the float or pulse mode as it sees the battery as not fully charged. In such a case a battery charger (irrespective of make) can overcharge a battery to the point, where it will fail.

So to put it simply, if the LC battery has a 120Ah rating, then use a CTEK charger capable of maintenance charging up to at least 150Ah.

So the MXS 5.0 would be the smallest charger suitable for the above. Using a MXS 3.8 or XS 0.8 would not be advisable.
    Last edited by hgbosch; 2015/05/20 at 08:27 AM.
    George Bosch

Distributor for:

Default Getting electric cables from Disco3 engine compartment into the passenger compartme

Good evening George.

Can you help me by recommending the best way to get a positive and negative cable from my Disco3 starter battery into the passenger compartment as I would like to set up one of your D250S chargers close to my auxiliary battery and fridge just behind the front passenger seat? Is there somewhere in the firewall that would be reasonably easy to get through?

Thanking you in advance,

Don Pfotenhauer

Quote Originally Posted by Don P View Post
    Good evening George.

Can you help me by recommending the best way to get a positive and negative cable from my Disco3 starter battery into the passenger compartment as I would like to set up one of your D250S chargers close to my auxiliary battery and fridge just behind the front passenger seat? Is there somewhere in the firewall that would be reasonably easy to get through?

Thanking you in advance,

Don Pfotenhauer

There is a rubber grommet in the firewall where the clutch would go on a manual D3. that's probably your best bet.

Hi Don

Gmmcdonald has a good idea there. Just keep in mind. Any mod on the firewall with cables routed into the passenger compartment will pose a potential water ingress "opportunity" if you have to go wading with your rig.

So whatever you do make 100% sure that the opening is properly sealed afterwards.
    George Bosch

Distributor for:

Thanks for the comments/advice. The rubber grommet is easy to access from the engine side (just above and to the right looking from the front of where the steering column comes through the firewall) so it is quite high. None the less I will make sure that any hole I make is well sealed. The next trick is to get the under dash panelling out without breaking any retaining clips of fasteners. Any advice?

Regards, Don

Hi Don

I would take the car to "the Centre" to remove the trim parts. Once broken those trim parts are VERY expensive to replace.
    George Bosch

Distributor for:

I'd like to put a CTEK D250S Dual in my Imagine Trailvan to charge the battery from the towing vehicle and solar. Easy, that is what the D250S does!

I wish to avoid using a Brad Harrison plug from the vehicle to the trailer and want to combine this all into the european 13 pin trailer plug, with which I will also equip the trailer. My vehicle already has the 13 pin plug, a Touareg.

So my question: The wiring to the 13 pin plug in the vehicle allows for pin 10 to be used for exactly the purpose of supplying a caravan with power. I know the D250S puts out a maximum of 20 Amps at 14.4 V, so what amp rating must my wiring on pin 10 in the vehicle have to carry this load? Is it also 20? Is it as simple as that? I.e. waht is the max amps the D250S pulls at full load?
    2007 Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI (Facelift, Air, Rear Diff Lock, Rear Mounted Spare)
    2008 Audi A4 B8 2.0 TDI (Multitronic)
    2009 KTM 990 Adventure (Weekend Fun)
    2012 Imagine Trailvan 4-Sleeper
    2010 Bombardier Electrostar 746 kw - Gautrain (Daily Commute)

* consumption needs to be seen in the context that the vehicle is towing an Imagine Trailvan 30% of the time

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast