CTEK Chargers

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: CTEK Chargers

Default CTEK Chargers

Hi All

just a short reminder, that CTEK Warehouse will be closed from 13 December until 6 January 2014.

No orders can be filled from Friday for the remainder of 2013.

Should you need to order, all admin (incl. pmt) must be finalized by 12 December 2pm.

CTEK has advised me, that there will be another price increase, effective on 1 January 2014.
    __________________________________________________ ________

I wish to thank all forum members for their outstanding support during 2013.

To all of you I wish you a Merry Christmas and all the best for the new year.

George
    George Bosch
    2003 RangeRover Vogue 3.0 Td6 (Mine) / 2005 LR Disco3 TDV6 S (Swambo's) / 1998 Disco1 Tdi ES (Sold) / And some more serious stuff

Distributor for:
    DEFAProjectaSignature.png

Special offers for 4X4community forum members on CTEK! Send PM with your email address for details

I got myself a Ctek charger, the MXS 3.8

I tried to revive a lead acid car battery, that had been deeply discharged by forgetting the lights on, over a few days.

Now according to the manual, the salesperson and everybody else I have spoken to about Ctek chargers, the device should be able to either get the battery back to life or at least recognise that it is kaputt and show that by means of an error light coming on at step 1,2 or 5.
    After happily charging that battery for about 20 h the charger indicated it was at step 6 (float), essentially charging had been completed and step 5 (analyze whether the battery holds it's charge) has been passed, due to the absence of an error light.

When checking the battery's voltage right after disconnecting, it was at 8 volts.

How come? I spend R 880.- for a charger that doesn't do anything better than the old Einhell thing I bought many years ago for less than 200 bucks?
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

I was asking that question today.... is it worth it?

The Hilux has been standing for a few weeks and solenoid didn't even click

Went and bought a R300 charger and 2 hours later it starts on first turn! Left it on to charge over night now - auto shutdown when fully charged. will see tomorrow morning!
    X5 3.0d
    D3 V8 SE
    Lotus 7

Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    I was asking that question today.... is it worth it?

The Hilux has been standing for a few weeks and solenoid didn't even click

Went and bought a R300 charger and 2 hours later it starts on first turn! Left it on to charge over night now - auto shutdown when fully charged. will see tomorrow morning!
    According to what I have been told, smart chargers like those from Ctek should be worth their money, compared to the old school dumb chargers. My old Einhell was unable to make that battery hold any charge, hence I thought the Ctek should either do the job or at least "say" that this battery is FUBAR.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    I got myself a Ctek charger, the MXS 3.8

I tried to revive a lead acid car battery, that had been deeply discharged by forgetting the lights on, over a few days.

Now according to the manual, the salesperson and everybody else I have spoken to about Ctek chargers, the device should be able to either get the battery back to life or at least recognise that it is kaputt and show that by means of an error light coming on at step 1,2 or 5.
    After happily charging that battery for about 20 h the charger indicated it was at step 6 (float), essentially charging had been completed and step 5 (analyze whether the battery holds it's charge) has been passed, due to the absence of an error light.

When checking the battery's voltage right after disconnecting, it was at 8 volts.

How come? I spend R 880.- for a charger that doesn't do anything better than the old Einhell thing I bought many years ago for less than 200 bucks?
    HI Hugonotte

the XS800 and MXS3.8 are maintenance chargers. They are used to keep a battery charged while the vehicle is not in use.

For the task you needed, the MXS5.0, MXS7.0 and MXS10 are the units recommended. the MXS7 and 10 also have a "supply" function. With a totally dead battery, this can be connected in supply mode for around 30 minutes and thereafter the normal charging can resume.

The XS800 and MXS3.8 are not able to wake up a totally dead battery.

I always recommend at least an MXS5.0 or 7.0 and then the remainder of the chargers can be the smaller ones. So if there is a problem battery, it can be kicked back into life.

The value of a CTEK is not to "quickly charge" a battery, but rather to offer a charging solution, that is not damaging the battery during the charging process, or cooking it dry, due to non electronic monitored maintenance charging.

Especially for those of you with holiday homes at the sea, a vehicle left there can be connected to a CTEK charger for the 10-11 months, you are not there. And when you arrive the battery is fully charged and ready to go.
    George Bosch
    2003 RangeRover Vogue 3.0 Td6 (Mine) / 2005 LR Disco3 TDV6 S (Swambo's) / 1998 Disco1 Tdi ES (Sold) / And some more serious stuff

Distributor for:

Special offers for 4X4community forum members on CTEK! Send PM with your email address for details

Ok, I understand that the MXS 3.8 doesn't have the reconditioning cycle. But why doesn't it recognise that the battery doesn't hold the charge? According to the manual it is supposed to do that.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by hgbosch View Post
    Hi All

just a short reminder, that CTEK Warehouse will be closed from 13 December until 6 January 2014.

No orders can be filled from Friday for the remainder of 2013.

Should you need to order, all admin (incl. pmt) must be finalized by 12 December 2pm.

CTEK has advised me, that there will be another price increase, effective on 1 January 2014.
    __________________________________________________ ________

I wish to thank all forum members for their outstanding support during 2013.

To all of you I wish you a Merry Christmas and all the best for the new year.

George

Hi,

A few weeks ago I bought a Ctek D250S and installed it, all works fine in my removable setup. If I were to not use my deep cycle battery for a long time and want to maintenance charge it at home, can I connect my MXS 5 directly to the deep cycle or must I first disconnect the D250?

It's in a battery box with the D259 mounted on the side.
    2010 Hilux 3.0 D-4D 4x4
    Polaris Sportsman X2 500

Quote Originally Posted by rneuhoff View Post
    Hi,

A few weeks ago I bought a Ctek D250S and installed it, all works fine in my removable setup. If I were to not use my deep cycle battery for a long time and want to maintenance charge it at home, can I connect my MXS 5 directly to the deep cycle or must I first disconnect the D250?

It's in a battery box with the D259 mounted on the side.
    Hi

you can connect the comfort connect that came with the charger to the deep cycle battery. Then you can charge it once a month with the MXS5.0 and use the charger also to keep the batteries of the other vehicles in tip top shape
    George Bosch

Distributor for:

Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    Ok, I understand that the MXS 3.8 doesn't have the reconditioning cycle. But why doesn't it recognise that the battery doesn't hold the charge? According to the manual it is supposed to do that.
    Hi HugoNotte

CTEK chargers cannot charge a battery, that has fallen below 8V. Even the MXS7.0 and MXS10 refuse to charge a battery with such a low voltage. That is when the "Supply" function is used, to give a battery an initial non-monitored charge. As soon as the battery charge is above the minimum threshold, all is back to normal again.

All of you out there with MXS7.0 or MXS10, please!!!! don't use the supply function to fully charge a battery. You will cook it dry that way.
    George Bosch

Distributor for:

Hi HugoNotte

CTEK chargers cannot charge a battery, that has fallen below 8V. Even the MXS7.0 and MXS10 refuse to charge a battery with such a low voltage. That is when the "Supply" function is used, to give a battery an initial non-monitored charge. As soon as the battery charge is above the minimum threshold, all is back to normal again.

All of you out there with MXS7.0 or MXS10, please!!!! don't use the supply function to fully charge a battery. You will cook it dry that way.
    George, with the battery at such low voltage, the charger should give some form of error. It doesn't do it. It simply does go through all the cycles as if the battery was ok. WHY?
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Hi Hugonotte

what is the capacity and CCA of the battery you were battling with?
    George Bosch

Distributor for:

Hi Hugonotte

what is the capacity and CCA of the battery you were battling with?
    Can't see the CCA, but it's a 70 Ah battery.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Hi Hugonotte

that is within the frame work of the MXS3.8. But if the battery is at or below 8V the charger will not be able to charge said battery.

If you haven't got another charger, you can connect jumper cables between a good battery with the vehicle idling and the completely discharged battery for around 15 minutes. That should be enough to bring said battery above 9V.

Then you can connect the MXS3.8 again. For those of you with an MXS7.0 or MXS10, you can use supply mode for 15 minutes. That will bring the same result
    George Bosch

Distributor for:

When using the MXS7.0 or MXS10 in supply mode to recover a drained battery will it switch automatically over to other modes once the drained battery has been recovered to the required min 8v for other functions to be used.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBear View Post
    When using the MXS7.0 or MXS10 in supply mode to recover a drained battery will it switch automatically over to other modes once the drained battery has been recovered to the required min 8v for other functions to be used.
    Hi BigBear

no it won't you will have to switch over manually.
    George Bosch

Distributor for:

Hi All

All the best wishes for the new year to all of you on the forum.

CTEK products are on extremely short stock, the popular items will only land around 25th.

So if you need please send pm first with email address to ascertain stock level.
    George Bosch

Distributor for:

Hi All

please note that I will be out of office from 7th February to 17th February due to a family visit from overseas.

So any orders finalized after 12pm on 6th will be delivered on 18th.

Also please note that there will be a further price adjustment due to the weakening Rand on 1 March.
    George Bosch

Distributor for:

Hi Guys,

I have revived a few batteries that had been dead....
    What I would do is to use the supply voltage for a short while, then shake the battery to ensure that all the fluids mix well again.... I was told to try this and believe me it worked on a few batteries.

Then charge as normal with the CTEK.

Try this. Maybe it solves your problem.

Hi George,

Is it okay to connect an MXS10 in supply mode to the alternator input of a dual dc-dc charger for extended periods and charge the Aux batteries like that?

I guess it could fry the main cranking battery?
    LC '79 MEANO Double Cab Mod with "The"Aussie 4.5liter V8 Diesel "Beast"

Hi
    Just connect the mxs10 directly to the aux battery. No need to disconnect the d250s - but only one should be charging at a time - engine not running & no solar input on d250s. Mxs10 is a 8 stage charger vs d250s that is a 5 stage charger. I leave my mx10 quickconnect connected to the battery permanently that allows easy connection to the Mxs10 when AC is available at an campsite.

The d250s can charge at 20amp, so might draw to much current from the mx10, that can do max 10amp.

Regards
    Bennie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by BennvdmWhk; 2014/02/11 at 09:41 PM.
    Bennie van der Merwe
    Windhoek
    2007 Discovery 3 V8 SE
    Prev 2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD Lwb M/T

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast