Topless and cops - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I bet they wanted a KFC lunch that's all...

Just on another note, I notice a lot of Jeeps lately with their tyres sticking out beyond the bodywork. Wasn't it a law that tyres may not sick out beyond the bodywork if the car is in a straight line? Or has it changed?
    '02 Toyota Prado 3.0 td VX, SAC intercooler, Kumho KL78 A/T's. DIY roofrack and rack system.
    "Good judgement come from experience, experience come from bad judgement"

Quote Originally Posted by WernerS View Post
    Just on another note, I notice a lot of Jeeps lately with their tyres sticking out beyond the bodywork. Wasn't it a law that tyres may not sick out beyond the bodywork if the car is in a straight line? Or has it changed?
    I think one 3rd may stick out, two thirds have to be covered if viewed from the top.
    Dewald

Quote Originally Posted by DCR View Post
    I think one 3rd may stick out, two thirds have to be covered if viewed from the top.
    A THIRD!!! That's a lot!!! but I was just wondering
    '02 Toyota Prado 3.0 td VX, SAC intercooler, Kumho KL78 A/T's. DIY roofrack and rack system.
    "Good judgement come from experience, experience come from bad judgement"

Quote Originally Posted by DCR View Post

I hope that's the case because I want to get 4" flat flares

A THIRD!!! That's a lot!!! but I was just wondering
    A lot on 35x12.5's yes, but those are probably not the wheels they had in mind when the law was written.

PS: I may also be wrong and it may be different now.
    Dewald

Drive-out Guest

I think that most of you missed the point that his friend was in the nude while driving on public roads without any doors which would imply that his nudity would be quite visible for all to see (even with the safety belts on). That is against the law in most places other than in Kempton Park :-) As for the rest, I think the cop was just trying to add some other reasons for getting these nude dudes off the road.

As far as I know, that regulation never changed.
    Also "shorty" bumpers - are that legal? Or must bumpers cover the whole width of the vehicle, including tires?

Real 4x4's don't have
    curved windscreens!!
    Jeep TJ 4l Sahara 33'
    Suzuki SJ 80 "Jeepie"
    + 2 classic roadsters
    some dangerous toys

Default Speed cops

Don't be so hard on the speed cops. They have a huge disadvantage when it comes to brains and they do not know @#%& when it comes to cars. Poor things. Something that tries to becomes something.

He could not lean on the door with his hand inside to take the bribe.
    Robbie
    Fortuner D4D
    Hilux 2.7 4x4 Raider.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosluis 3de Generasie View Post
    Don't be so hard on the speed cops. They have a huge disadvantage when it comes to brains and they do not know @#%& when it comes to cars. Poor things. Something that tries to becomes something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbief View Post
    He could not lean on the door with his hand inside to take the bribe.
    Got to say, these seem a little uncalled for...

Lots of traffic cops doing a good job , and yes I'm sure there are plenty on the take.

BUT in the millions of threads on this forum I've never seen a post where someone has been seriously solicited for or paid a bribe.

Seen plenty where people moan because cops do their jobs and pull them over for breaking the law though.
    Last edited by Apocalypse; 2013/12/09 at 11:40 AM.

actually you may not drive a vehicle with no top clothes on, ie nude from the waist up , and definitely not allowed to drive a car with no clothes on.
    oooh sorry,i see you meant that the car was nude.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiboko View Post
    actually you may not drive a vehicle with no top clothes on, ie nude from the waist up , and definitely not allowed to drive a car with no clothes on.
    oooh sorry,i see you meant that the car was nude.
    Actually, I'd be interested to see that law...

I've also heard that you may not drive barefoot, but I've never found the statute...

Nope.

Can't find anything about it being mandatory to wear clothes or shoes while driving or being a passenger in a motor vehicle.

I presume genitals waving in the breeze would fall under public indecency, but there is nothing saying you must wear a shirt or shoes.

I also wonder - Given that there may be no discrimination due to sex under the constitution, I can't see that women going topless is considered an offence either?

i suggest you try driving past the cops nude in a nude jeep and see what happens

Quote Originally Posted by Kiboko View Post
    i suggest you try driving past the cops nude in a nude jeep and see what happens
    I am simply trying to ascertain what they would be able to charge me with...

I just can't see anything at all in the relevant laws...

The only thing I can see about body work is that the engine must be covered:

National Road Traffic Act, 1996 (Act No. 93 of 1996)
    National Road Traffic Regulations, 1999

Chapter VI : Fitness of Vehicles

Part II : Equipment on or in respect of vehicles

206. Engine of motor vehicle to be covered

No person shall operate on a public road a motor vehicle, other than a motor cycle or other cycle, unless the engine thereof is so covered as not to be a source of danger.

Which is kind of annoying when it comes to hotrods. Also Beach Buggys. I suppose it depends on how you define 'covered'

nothing about doors.

here is the mirrors regulation:

204. Driving view to be unobstructed

c) which is a motor car, mini-bus, bus or goods vehicle, the gross vehicle mass of which does not exceed 3 500 kilograms and which, according to the registration certificate thereof, was registered for the first time on or after 1 January 1987, unless it is fitted with an exterior rearview mirror on the driving side and an interior rearview mirror: Provided that where the interior rearview mirror does not enable the driver, when he or she is in the driving position, to see in clear weather, a clear reflection of traffic to the rear, an additional exterior rearview mirror shall be fitted on the side opposite to the driving seat and in such a case it shall not be necessary to fit an interior rearview mirror;

oh wait, here we go:

doors:

210. Entrances and exits

1)
    a) No person shall operate on a public road a motor vehicle with a fixed hood and a tare in excess of 570 kilograms unless such vehicle has at least –
    i) a convenient means of entrance and exit on both the left side and the right side; or
    ii) such means of entrance and exit on either the left side or the right side and a ready means of escape on the side opposite to such means of entrance and exit or at the rear,
    for the occupants thereof.
    b) Where a motor vehicle with a fixed hood and a tare in excess of 570 kilograms is conveying passengers in a separate compartment which does not –
    i) comply with the provisions of paragraph (a)(i) or (a)(ii); or
    ii) afford such passengers unobstructed access to the driving compartment,
    such vehicle shall have at least a convenient means of entrance and exit at the rear for such passengers.

2) An entrance and exit and a means of escape referred to in subregulation (1), shall be protected with a door or other effective barrier: Provided that a means of entrance and exit at the rear of a motor vehicle need not be so protected.

3) A door or barrier contemplated in subregulation (2) or a door or other barrier with which a means of entrance and exit at the rear of a motor vehicle is protected, shall be –
    a) capable of being opened and closed from both the outside and the inside; and
    b) closed and clear of any obstruction when the vehicle is in motion:
    Provided that the provisions of paragraph (a) shall not apply to a means of escape which has a barrier which is capable of being opened by being knocked out.

4) The provisions of this regulation shall not apply to a mini-bus, bus or the separate compartment of a motor vehicle in which prisoners are conveyed.
    Last edited by Apocalypse; 2013/12/09 at 02:53 PM.

I think that the key here is that it only applies to vehicles with a fixed hood.

So, if your hard top is on, you need doors. If the soft top is on - you don't need doors
    Last edited by Apocalypse; 2013/12/09 at 02:58 PM.

CarloJK Guest

I've also heard that you may not drive barefoot, but I've never found the statute...[/QUOTE]

Is this a fact ?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast