Bojaankop 4x4 trail and camp

Default Bojaankop 4x4 trail and camp

Has anyone been to 'Die dam river camp' at Bojaankop 4x4 trail?

This is one of my destinations during my December trip and I need to find out a couple of things..

1. Do the camps have any braai facilities, or can I just pack some rocks on the ground for a fire?
    2. How long is the 4x4 trail up the mountain? After camping the night I want to do the trail in the morning, but I still need to be in Paarl that afternoon.

Any help would be appreciated!

Post this in the Southern Cape section. The guys from the George club will have all the details for you

The Bojaanskop campsite is very nice. Good ablutions although small. On a weir so swimming is great. The 4x4 trail only has one challenge, uphill right at the start, otherwise an afternoon drive (with a 4x4 flair) No demarcated campsites and only one central large boma fire, you can do some rock collection and make a small braai fire, but be careful, you don't want to set his farm on fire.
    One of my old hang outs, I like it.

Four Wheel Drive Club of SA
    Garden Route Division
    A Proud member of SCROF (Southern Cape Route Owners Forum) see our website at www.4x4ineden.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Faddel View Post
    The Bojaanskop campsite is very nice. Good ablutions although small. On a weir so swimming is great. The 4x4 trail only has one challenge, uphill right at the start, otherwise an afternoon drive (with a 4x4 flair) No demarcated campsites and only one central large boma fire, you can do some rock collection and make a small braai fire, but be careful, you don't want to set his farm on fire.
    One of my old hang outs, I like it.
    Great thanks

Do you know how long it will take to do a drive through the trail?

Well, trail ... ag the "drive" will probably take about two hours.

Four Wheel Drive Club of SA
    Garden Route Division
    A Proud member of SCROF (Southern Cape Route Owners Forum) see our website at www.4x4ineden.co.za

Thanks for the info Dave

Pity I missed this thread and Dave's remarks. Kampsite great. Very true one up hill and the rest allmost suitable for a platkar. Real let down the rest of the way and the total route cut seems more than by half, advertized as 35 kms years ago. Maybe Dave can confirm if this is true.

Met Katot and did his test (failed it) and drove the route, now the Hilux dip succered me and I was recovered by a Defender.

Thumbs down

So I booked our spot and we spent the night of the 19th Dec at the camp, but the experience wasn't that great.

The ablutions were very clean, but were ridden with about 15+ fairly large spiders, which meant I had to go clean it out before swambo would dare use it. I'm not too fond of the critters either

There were also a bunch of fly traps hanging from the trees which sent a horrible smell through the camp site every time the wind picked up. Now since the traps were luring the flies it meant we couldn't leave any food/drink uncovered for even a second.

The website also advertises the camp as next to the river, and the option to do a walk/hike around the area. The river is actually behind the camp site and you have walk through a little path in the bushes to get to it. Then that path is about as far as you can go - when you go the other way you get to a fence, so there is really no hiking trail available.

We didn't do the 4x4 trail since that was an additional cost which we didn't know about and it seemed that they only accept cash payment.

On a plus side the trip to the camp site is VERY nice. The trail from the R62 to the owner's house has an amazing view, followed then by a river crossing to get to the actual camp.