Advice needed on accomodation in moz?

Default Advice needed on accomodation in moz?

Hi there ... Im planning a trip to moz during june/july ... and I would like to know of good places to stay around Guinjata? (+-50km) I got in contact with Guinjata bay and they are full ...

can anyone also give me any feedback on the following places:
    (facilities etc.)
    1. Cocos bay
    2. Paindane
    3. Bamboozi beach
    4. Casa barry
    5. Casa John

as well as any various tips about safety and such for road travel in moz...

thanks

P.S. for camping ..... (left that out :-))
    Last edited by Soutter; 2008/02/07 at 08:40 PM.
    2008 Jimny (ex SJ)
    ...Extended diff & tcase breathers, dual battery, towbar
    2008 Terios Offroad
    ...nudgebar, spots, runners, dvd

You can also look at Jeff's Place and Jangamo Beach, they are right next to Guinjata.
    We don't live in a funny world, WE LIVE AMONG FUNNY PEOPLE

'78 Land Cruiser
    Conqueror Supra
    Iraq, Louis Trichardt

I've just returned from Pomene, which I believe is north of your destination, Soutter, and I found very little in the way of camping. Unlike SA, where camping abounds, your camping in Moz should, IMO, be planned from here, though I have read of folk who simply pull off the road and sleep in their vehicles.

I found myself in this position at 19h30 one night, and stopped at a kraal, where I chatted to the owner, and asked him if I could pitch a tent on his land...no problem, and although I was a little nervous, we had no choice as we were nicely lost..!

Hope this helps a little...

We camped at Paindane during December 2007. Don't take campsite nr 13. Had to go and ask for assistance to get parts of the campsite level to enable us to pitch a tent. We were told to just take a panga and remove some of the vegetation. We were very dissappointed as I booked a site in May 2007 already and told the booking consultant exactly what we are taking, trailer with rooftop tent, 4 X 4 man tents. The trailer had to be winched up the site to actually get it on the site otherwise it would have been in the road.
    Ablutions were clean but terrible. No place to put your clothes or toiletries in the showers. Somedays no water let alone warm water.
    Only plus for Paindane is the bay, low tide is a dream to snorkle. If you go there take a blow up tube to sit in and just relax in the shallow water.
    We did visit Gunjatha Bay. Accomodation seems much nicer and lost more to do for the kids. Beach is very busy and sea not nice to swim in, except if you like the same kind of sea as Durbs etc.
    Jeff's Place is located right next to the gravel road going to the other resorts and Paindane and the road is busy, very busy, but accomodation looks nice (cannot see the sea or beach from Jeffs Place)
    We did not get to see the other resorts.

We stayed at jangamo beach (not camping though) about 5 years ago, before the resort underwent a major upgrade. It was very nice, the chalets (casitas?) were made of reeds and straw, each with a nice patio with a veiw over the bay, and own bathroom. There were a restaurant and TV room in the resort. The geach are not too nice, but close enough to Paindane to go snorkel there every day.

1.Cocos Bay - unsure of accom here
    2.Paindane - been once , chalet , camping looked fine , get in early and get a good site , good snorkelling.
    3.Bamboozi - good all round activities , not really geared for campers , ablutions get a bit fun when the place is busy .
    4. Casa Barry and Casa John are really nice , and well maintaned with great views , been past a few times and had a squizz . CB CJ and Bamboozi are in Tofo though , at least 1.25 hours from Guinjata , Paindane and Jangamo .

re: road safety and travel , get up early , have all your papers , do not speed in towns , and dont waste too much time stopping for lunches etc . trip times always work out longer in moz . check out mozguide.com and other posts here .

take goggles and snorkel , sunscreen and have a blast , give us a trip report when done . keep us posted as to what you decide to do . cheers . ill be at pomene 21-29 mar , will give you road updates if anythings changed .

hi guys

thanks for all the info ... ended up with a booking at the overpopulated(?) guinjata bay resort ... but unfortunately had to cancel as one of our party is in hospital for an emergency op and we don't know if she will have fully recovered by then. Rather not take the chance ...

will still appreciate a trip report when you get back, Grant.

cheers
    2008 Jimny (ex SJ)
    ...Extended diff & tcase breathers, dual battery, towbar
    2008 Terios Offroad
    ...nudgebar, spots, runners, dvd