Kia spotage gen 1-worth it?

Default Kia spotage gen 1-worth it?

Hi there

I,m a noob here and looking for some advise on a sportage i'm interested in.
    The body still looks fine and the seats has been recovered-will have it test drived today by my dad(the car is in limpopo and i'm in Pta) to check the other stuff.
    BUT now the big question-how high is the milage before it is to high?? I previously had a pajero swb v6 with 320 000 kms on and it was still kicking a$$ ! now this sporty has about that same milage on it-will it be worth it?

For the price they are asking i'll be able to fix a lot off stuff on the car and still not seriously break the bank
    Any advise will be greatly appreciated

Thanx Henk

I just dragged my old sporty back on Thursday, been very neglected by the last people that used her, she has 270000 on the clock, and once I've tidied her up and pimped her I reckon she is still good for another 100000!

How much do they want for the Sporty?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Daihatshu Terios LWB 4x4
    Branch and 50mm free flow
    45mm lift
    Winchbar

KIA Sportage.....Retiredstripped for spares

Fiat Uno platcar

They wanted wanted 37k for it,but found one in the meantime with 128k km on it. I paid more for this one but I like the low milage. Now i'm starting the search for the spacers for the body lift and the like It needs tyres so i'm going to a bigger tyre size-maybe 205/80/15,not exactly sure what the guys put on them?

Do you want to do a body lift or spacer on the springs? Spacer on the springs will give you extra ground clearance as well.

There is a thread on here with drawings for those spacers.(thread by mnrvermaak)

Body lift spacers I am going to have made shortly as soon as I get one out for a sample.
    Someone did use a jeep spacer kit for that, on this forum, (lifted96) he had some specs on those.

Tyres most of the forum members run with 215/80-15, for everyday use I wouldn't go bigger, the vehicle loses top end torque.

Mine is going to be more off a toy, so it will run 31x10.5-15 MUDs. But with that size you don't expect major performance on the open road.

I just ordered some suspension spares for mine, drag link and tie rod ends, since no one in SA seems to stock the drag link!!

Last edited by segalmarisa; 2013/10/21 at 06:16 AM.
    Daihatshu Terios LWB 4x4
    45mm lift
    Winchbar

Fiat Uno platcar

Friends of ours had one (I think it was a 99 model)...It had more than 250k on the clock and only suffered a faulty fuel pump and the alternator had to be refurbished...they are really tough!

Would actually like to do both the body and suspension lift,i saw that drawings,will make them as soon as i have the time to do so. What do they make the bodylift spacers from? maybe i could make those aswell-i like the diy thing

Was just about to ask about the tyres I can get a set of 215-80-15 for a very good price,what kind of effect will it have on the power of the motor? I'm sure there will be a bit of loss of consumption aswell,the big thing i'm worried about is the power,wil it still be enough for offroading?

Thanx for the replies so far
    Henk

Hi 215 80 15 will go on a stock Sportage and have very little impact on performance, most fit the 2" spring spacers and go 30 9.50 15, these do affect performance but give added clearance under the axle.

I went with 2" spacers up front and Jeep Wrangler TJ coils in the rear with 1999 Toyota Rav4 shocks, 15"x8" 0 offset deep dish wheels and 31 10.50 15 tyres for that mini monster truck look, these do affect performance and economy, if it's not hilly where you live they're fine, will still cruise at 120 kph no problem on the flat and mild inclines in 5th gear.

Here's how my Sporty looks so far.

Quote Originally Posted by HenkBooyse View Post
    Would actually like to do both the body and suspension lift,i saw that drawings,will make them as soon as i have the time to do so. What do they make the bodylift spacers from? maybe i could make those aswell-i like the diy thing

Was just about to ask about the tyres I can get a set of 215-80-15 for a very good price,what kind of effect will it have on the power of the motor? I'm sure there will be a bit of loss of consumption aswell,the big thing i'm worried about is the power,wil it still be enough for offroading?

Thanx for the replies so far
    Henk
    Henk

I have decided to go for 215/80/R15. (Firestone Destination A/T 215/80/R15 (paid R950 each)

Have a look at this link: http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...d.php?t=128264

I am driving around with these tyres for about a year.
    It gives you
    • additional clearance,
    • it looks nice,
    • the ride not that hard,
    but at the cost
    • of almost 1km/litre (take into account that I’ve got a roofrack on most of the time (which I “made” myself);
    • of “power” . When driving sand dunes it is noticeable, but still manageable.

I considered 215/75/R15, it is more expensive and not too many to select from, but will give better fuel consumption and a bit more “power”. If I get a good deal I might consider taking 215/75/R15, and probably regretting it again later ….

I enjoy the little Kia and it has the “power to surprise”.

Regards
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2059.JPG 
Views:	507 
Size:	204.8 KB 
ID:	244499   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	George-20131016-02994.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	244500  

2001 Pajero GLS 3.5 V6

hello and sorry for the thread hijack .

@segalmarisa :You mention this - drag link and tie rod ends, since no one in SA seems to stock the drag link!!

What is a drag link

@ jaybrian32 - i did not see the pics?

Fitted the 215's today and they rub in the arches So i think i will put the standard size on for now.

Elviz, drag link also known as centre rod, is the connecting rod between the steering box and idler arm. The inner tie rod ends also connect onto each each of the draglink. It has two ball joints on it that tend to wear out over time.

Daihatshu Terios LWB 4x4
    45mm lift
    Winchbar

Fiat Uno platcar