Perde.....

Thread: Perde.....

Default Perde.....

Ok, so we have been involved in horses for quite some time..

BUT my liewe ouers!! some of these "trainers" are just unbelievable... (Or a I am just not used to the "new" ways... )

We have a mare that needs some additional training - jittery ect. The trainer is using the mare in the Riding school to train kids(not to happy about this, but as per them the best way to train the horse... ).

The horse is in such a state that you can hardly ride it with out it wanting to through you off or kick another horse. When we got her about 6 months ago she was calm and collected...

We have had the doc take a good look at the hooves ect, but all seems in order.

I am thinking another riding school....

my disclaimer - I KNOW NOTHING about horses....
    I like anything with 4 or more wheels...

Default Wild One ?

Hey Zombicon

We have our own horses, shetland to full bred race, the temperaments are from one end of the stick to the other.
    So how old is the horse, is it a Colt, Stallion, filly or Mare. Has it been broken in properly, did you go thro a join up before throwing a saddle on, how often and when last was the horse ridden before you took ownership, millions of questions need to be asked, but you will find a fairly direct answer by doing a few simple checks.
    First and foremost check the teeth out, have they been filed, are the wolf teeth still in the very back of the mouth(very small and similar to a humans wisdom tooth), maybe the bit is hitting the wolf teeth and hurting the horse. How agressive is the bit you have, remember you can flip a horse over backwards with an agressive bit in its mouth.
    If the horse has a back problem that you are unaware of he/she will rear and try throw you, reaction according to pain experienced.
    A big one is the saddle, every horse has a different profile back, from the withers to the hind quarters and the saddle "MUST" be fitted properly, whenever we buy a new saddle we get the supplier to come out with their equipment an size the saddle for the horse properly, its like you have to try on your shoes and see they fit properly, otherwise you walk weird hey and it hurts like hell.

Hope this helps, if not, try contact me and we can offer telephonic advice - free of charge hey, unlike other "Pro's" in the industry.

Best Regards

Chris

Hi Chris,

thank you for the feedback!.

the horse was tame and easy to ride, with minimal issues when we got her a couple of months ago. what we have found is that she had an infection under the one foot, and wasn't ridden for about 4 weeks from there. there after - 2 -3 times a week.

What we have noticed is that the Riding school used the horse to train other people, witch in it self got us a little, "unhappy"...

Changes, Only my wife rides her now, and already there is a huge improvement. she didnt have shoes on the back feet, she does now - also a huge improvement.

I will look at the saddle again when I am home . As I understand the Saddle that she has now, was purchased with the horse. I know they changed the bit, but for the life of me, I cannot remember what to... I know it was a 3 piece bit.

Wife has spoken - if the horse doesn't improve(Trainers) we will sell it off again and move schools. (Like she will ever really sell the horse haha. )

Both these horses are reasonably "normal". The one is a long lost relative of Big red, the other(Problem one) is a Lipizzaner.

we are giving the school a month on to resolve the issues, and will see if they can do what they say. Worst case, we will move to another school... we are a little spoiled for choice where we are.

thank you for all the pointers, Anti Dee from Dee's Saddlery has also been a huge help in this instance.

Hi Zombicon,

Horse lover here too clearly by my name you can see that. Where are you based? Did you eventually get your horses "issues" sorted? Often a horse perfers one rider they gain confidence in that rider and their style. Chopping and changing riders confuses the poor horse. If you are in Pretoria I can highly recommend a yard.

I own a saddler x arab and my husband has an arab stallion.

Quote Originally Posted by Pink Pony View Post
    Hi Zombicon,

Horse lover here too clearly by my name you can see that. Where are you based? Did you eventually get your horses "issues" sorted? Often a horse perfers one rider they gain confidence in that rider and their style. Chopping and changing riders confuses the poor horse. If you are in Pretoria I can highly recommend a yard.

I own a saddler x arab and my husband has an arab stallion.
    Hi yes,.....

So.. quite a few things happened these last couple of months.... the troubled Horse is now living happily with my sister in Pietersburg- match made in heaven!!.

New stables were found in harties, and the other horse moved to there. better trainers, area, ect!... Wife is happy again, horses are nice and fat!..

We are sticking to the rule - one rider horse.

thanks!