New Key for Hyundai Terracan

Default New Key for Hyundai Terracan

One of my keys' securitychip / transponder died a number of years ago and I have not replaced it.
    I got hold of Hyundai and they want about R4,000 for a new key. R2,000 for the security chip and another R2,000 for the actual key.

Is there another place here in Cape Town that could help me with a cheaper solution?

I found a company in Long street that does keys for cars but from their web site it looks like they only do the cheaper Atoz responder keys and not the more advanced alarm keys. I've sent them an email asking about the Terracan.

I'm also going to pop in ask Hyundai Paarden eiland workshop to see if they can maybe only order just the chip and not the whole key to make it a little cheaper.

Cheers
    Rory
    Rory

2005 Hyundai Terracan 2.9 CRDi aka Terry (Family/Weekend Car)
    2018 BMW R1200GS Adv LC aka Snow (My other joy)
    2013 Metalian Maxi aka Maximilian (A Good Year)

Hi Rory,

I don't have an answer for you, but I was wondering if you'd had feedback on your enquiries yet? I think a lot of us are in the same situation (buying second-hand and not receiving spare keys, losing keys etc). I had a spare key cut just to be able to unlock my Can if I need to, but it still won't help much if I can't start it!
    '06 Hyundai Terracan 2.9 CRDi
    OME Suspension

I had the same issue.

I had a spare key cut with a chip (no remote), but it still activates the alarm when you manually unlock the door with the spare (if the car has been locked using the remote). When the car is locked with the key and the alarm is not activated (iow not locked with central locking button on original key), it can be driven with the spare key. Unfortunately it seems the only thing to do is pay the agents if you want a fully functioning key.

I have heard that you van start the car with a spare after the alarm has stopped making a noise, but I have never tested this.

The locksmiths that I have tried only have keys for atoz etc that only have the immobiliser in the key.
    The agent has ordered a key for me and said it would be there by Wednesday but I have not from them yet. It looks like I might get away paying about R2,000 for the key.

I must admit that I have not looked overseas for a key but I don't think I will try that route.
    Rory

Update about my keys.
    After R2000, Hyundai Paardeneiland sorted me out. It took a little time as the guys battled to get both keys synced to Terry.
    Yes it wasn't cheap but at least now I am sorted with a spare key.
    Rory