Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Default FJ Cruiser never again....

I know any vehicle is only a tool and not a investment ; but some vehicles are just not even worth buying as a tool.

I bought Swambo a brand new 2012 FJ Cruiser last year October. Spend about R20 000 on accessories ( long range tank ; full Takla ; HID lights and a couple of other things). I decided to have it valuated 51 weeks (FJ 38000km) later and trade it on a Prado ; then came the big big surprise ; I made about 30 calls to various Toyota dealers. ALL of them were reluctant to trade the FJ in ; 2 dealers even told me out right they don't want it they struggle to re sell them.

I eventually traded the FJ with a dealer whom I begged to take it ; he gave me the best trade in ; the FJ depreciated with R130 000 in less than a year. Not a cool nock on a tool. A FJ is just not worth it. My 2 cents.

You'll take a huge knock on any 1 year old car.

Quite honestly, I don't understand the concept of buying a car based on its resale value.

If cost effectiveness is what worries you, get something small and economical in the R100 000 bracket.

A Prado will do even worse over a year in terms of absolute loss.

The dealer has to make a profit on reselling your car, and cover the requirements of the CPA - are you hoping he'll take it off you for what you paid for it?

Or that someone will buy a one year old with 40 000 km for almost the same price as a new car?

I will by the Cruiser when they come into the R80000 bracket.
    Sorry Ross, i couldn't help myself
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ORA
    -------------------------
    Ian

For the accessories you can expect nothing back. In the USA the FJ is one of the vehicles which retains values best. Any V6 at the moment with the high petrol price are difficult movers. I am depreciating my FJ @ 20% per annum which means its worth round about 368K in my books. I will get that for my FJ if I want to sell today so I'm happy.

2020 FJ Cruiser "CementGrey&White RiceBowl"
    1986 Hilux DC 4x4 "White RiceBowl"Sold
    2012 FJ Cruiser Sport "Black&White" RiceBowl" Sold
    Agteros - you should stick to your rice bowls! - HGBosch

Quote Originally Posted by OFFROAD ADDICT View Post
    I will by the Cruiser when they come into the R80000 bracket.
    Sorry Ross, i couldn't help myself
    No problem Ian, I completely understand...

Apoc is right though, after a year you can expect huge depreciation. Let's wait and see what their resale value is in 5 years time.
    Ross

We must remember that a brand new car (any car) on the dealer's floor, was bought by the dealer (from the factory) for 30%-40% less than what he is asking for it. If you want to trade a car in soon after buying it new, you can't honestly expect the dealer to pay you more than what he would pay for a brand new car from the factory.

One of the many reasons members on this forum ask advice before buying a car, is simply to try and get something that will suit their needs/likes so they don't have to sell it too soon again.

Quote Originally Posted by Agteros View Post
    For the accessories you can expect nothing back. In the USA the FJ is one of the vehicles which retains values best. Any V6 at the moment with the high petrol price are difficult movers. I am depreciating my FJ @ 20% per annum which means its worth round about 368K in my books. I will get that for my FJ if I want to sell today so I'm happy.
    friend of mine just bought a 2012 FJ with 22 000km on the clock , immaculate, long range tank, otherwise pretty standard - R330 000.

Good deal actually, even if it IS bloody ugly

He took delivery on Thursday and filled the tank up. R1 700.

I think his eyes are still watering

So if you want to increase the value of an FJ - fill it up

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    friend of mine just bought a 2012 FJ with 22 000km on the clock , immaculate, long range tank, otherwise pretty standard - R330 000.

Good deal actually, even if it IS bloody ugly

He took delivery on Thursday and filled the tank up. R1 700.

I think his eyes are still watering

So if you want to increase the value of an FJ - fill it up
    hahaha too true
    Ross

Maybe the FJ is just a fashion accessory with its retro styling. And when out of fashion, things stay in the cupboard. Appeals only to the trendy.

Popcorn anyone?

iPad
    Last edited by parafanaylya; 2013/10/05 at 09:31 AM.
    2006 T5 4Motion 174HP TDI Seikel Dakar STOLEN IN KALK BAY

2013 T5 4Motion 180HP TDI Seikel Desert HD Wearing bush stripes with pride
    A6 3.0 Multitronic 225HP

As die FJ so 30cm langer was sodat die agtersitplekke meer spasie gehad het sou dit die perfekte 4x4 suv gewees het.

Quote Originally Posted by RoelfleRoux View Post
    We must remember that a brand new car (any car) on the dealer's floor, was bought by the dealer (from the factory) for 30%-40% less than what he is asking for it. If you want to trade a car in soon after buying it new, you can't honestly expect the dealer to pay you more than what he would pay for a brand new car from the factory.

One of the many reasons members on this forum ask advice before buying a car, is simply to try and get something that will suit their needs/likes so they don't have to sell it too soon again.
    30 to 40%!! i wish, the dealer margin on a new FJ is 8%
    the depreciation on a FJ cruiser is no worse than any other toyota, look at it this way: if you (the first buyer) pay R450k for a new car and decide to trade it after 1 year I (the dealer) will look at it like this: if a brand new FJ can be bought for R450k what will a potential buyer be willing to pay for a used one with 40000km on it? R399k if i'm lucky? so i am going to pay you R 365k then spend R5k on chips, scratches, valet, RWC etc. so now i'm in for R370k so potentially i could make a R30k profit but the buyer might want a discount or it may take me 3 months to sell it during which i pay interest on the money i use to buy my stock.....

would you (the potetial buyer) be willing to pay 12 or 15% more and get a brand new car rather than a 1 year old with 40000km on the clock? i would...

ANY deal on ANY used car works this way, unfortunately FJ cruisers are getting a bad rep because people bought them on impulse because of the cool factor and the badge on the grill instead of doing their homework to see if it will really suit their needs which results in a larger number of them being for sale in the used market, this has a negative effect on values.

Make sure the car you are buying suits your needs and keep it for 5 years or longer, if you need to scratch that new car itch every year or two you will pay for it!

Quote Originally Posted by superhansie View Post
    As die FJ so 30cm langer was sodat die agtersitplekke meer spasie gehad het sou dit die perfekte 4x4 suv gewees het.
    Een van die aspekte wat hom so goed offroad maak is die kortas afstand met baie goeie "breakover angle".

Quote Originally Posted by eonvr View Post
    the depreciation on a FJ cruiser is no worse than any other toyota, look at it this way: if you (the first buyer) pay R450k for a new car and decide to trade it after 1 year I (the dealer) will look at it like this: if a brand new FJ can be bought for R450k what will a potential buyer be willing to pay for a used one with 40000km on it? R399k if i'm lucky? so i am going to pay you R 365k then spend R5k on chips, scratches, valet, RWC etc. so now i'm in for R370k so potentially i could make a R30k profit but the buyer might want a discount or it may take me 3 months to sell it during which i pay interest on the money i use to buy my stock.....

would you (the potetial buyer) be willing to pay 12 or 15% more and get a brand new car rather than a 1 year old with 40000km on the clock? i would...

ANY deal on ANY used car works this way, unfortunately FJ cruisers are getting a bad rep because people bought them on impulse because of the cool factor and the badge on the grill instead of doing their homework to see if it will really suit their needs which results in a larger number of them being for sale in the used market, this has a negative effect on values.

Make sure the car you are buying suits your needs and keep it for 5 years or longer, if you need to scratch that new car itch every year or two you will pay for it!
    very well put

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin Magic View Post
    I know any vehicle is only a tool and not a investment ; but some vehicles are just not even worth buying as a tool.

I bought Swambo a brand new 2012 FJ Cruiser last year October. Spend about R20 000 on accessories ( long range tank ; full Takla ; HID lights and a couple of other things). I decided to have it valuated 51 weeks (FJ 38000km) later and trade it on a Prado ; then came the big big surprise ; I made about 30 calls to various Toyota dealers. ALL of them were reluctant to trade the FJ in ; 2 dealers even told me out right they don't want it they struggle to re sell them.

I eventually traded the FJ with a dealer whom I begged to take it ; he gave me the best trade in ; the FJ depreciated with R130 000 in less than a year. Not a cool nock on a tool. A FJ is just not worth it. My 2 cents.
    Don't buy a Prado. Rather buy something like a Range Rover Sport or something, then trade it in a year later and please come back and post again.
    Pat

Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by eonvr View Post

Eon your "numbers" fit in perfectly with mine. I am exactly on my target and will only take a 20% "knock" after one year of ownership. Only difference is I might do slightly better since my FJ has only 8000kms on the clock after 1 year -especially if I sell privately.

Quote Originally Posted by Die Skim View Post
    Don't buy a Prado. Rather buy something like a Range Rover Sport or something, then trade it in a year later and please come back and post again.
    Why on earth would he want to trade in a Range Rover after a year?
    George Moustakis
    Disco 4 XS

Quote Originally Posted by wildhunter View Post

Why on earth would he want to trade in a Range Rover after a year?
    Maybe he got some money to waste, who knows.
    Pat

Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4

Een van die aspekte wat hom so goed offroad maak is die kortas afstand met baie goeie "breakover angle".
    Jy is reg maar daai engine en ratkas kombinasie tesame met sy kort neus maak dat ek hom bitter graag wil he. My 3 kinders gaan netnie lekker inpas agter nie.

Quote Originally Posted by superhansie View Post
    Jy is reg maar daai engine en ratkas kombinasie tesame met sy kort neus maak dat ek hom bitter graag wil he. My 3 kinders gaan netnie lekker inpas agter nie.
    Stuur die kinders na ouma & oupa vir die vakansie

Stuur die kinders na ouma & oupa vir die vakansie

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast