Ford & Mazda Backwheel Drums

Thread: Backwheel Drums

Post Backwheel Drums

Hi Guys,

I have a Mazda Drifter 2004 model Double Cab. I would like to remove the back wheel drums to see if my brake shoes is finished. But how to I get it off? I have removed the wheel and it seems there is not much more to take off. Few hits with rubber hammer later it is still not pulling off? What am I missing?

Please help?

If it does not move at all, then its most likely rust around the wheel studs. Usually penetrating oil and more hammering is the answer.

If it moves, but arnt coming off, the drum is catching on the shoes.

• The drum can be a bit skew. Get the drum to rotate again and pull it off strait.
    • The drum could have worn a lip and the pads are stuck in the groove. Hmmm - you have problems then....
    -----------------------------
    Isuzu Frontier 280LX 4x4 2001

Did you remove the handbrake cable? It must be slack and then in close to the centre of the drum theres a star head screw which you have to remove with a big screw driver. I think theres 2 but cant remember as I did mine a few years back when I still had it.

If you pull on the drum and there is slight movement out then you can pull hard. It will only collapse the brakes but if you pull and its solid, check those small star screws and remove them.
    Gerhard
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2
    Mercedes GLA 2.0 diesel (SWAMBO)
    And a Summit Everest trailer that SWAMBO loves.

Speaking from my Isuzu experience.
    1) Loosen your hand brake adjuster under bakkie ie hand brake is loose.
    2) See if u have a hole at back of drum. Where there is an adjuster to tighten of loosen the brake shoes,loosen it.
    3) Take hammer and tap brake drum to loosen,hope fully it will come off with a bit of help by usisng 2 flat screw drivers on each side of drum.If it has a ridge inside and brake shoe hooks,good luck as it will take more time.Once off I have taken an angle grinder to remove ridge.

Craig
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

Where the 6 wheel studs are, there are two threaded holes.

Put two 8 mm bolts in there and tighten. This should pull/push the drums off.

Please don't start undoing hand brake cables and what not, just simply release the hand brake in the cab, and if the wheels are turning then do as I suggested above.

Otherwise all you going to do is change all the settings and if you not 100% sure how it all was or is supposed to be, then don't fiddle with them.

Clean the center hub area, that might be rusted, when you fit the drums, you can use a bit of sand paper for this, then lubricate with a little grease or better copper slip, just on the contact area.

When adjusting the rear brakes, tighten the little adjusting wheel till the drums just start to grab, but loose enough to pull them off and slip them back on.

A can of Brake Cleaner is wonderfull stuff to simply spray all over, to clean and lubricate everything, to stop dust and sand adhering to everything.

Will make your job easier next time too...

2002 Colt, 2.8 tdi Rodeo, 4x4, ARB Bull Bar, Excalliber Running Boards, Monroe Gas Magnum Shocks, Cooper AT3's, Excel 53l long range tank, National Luna Dual Battery System, Campmaster 80l Fridge/Freezer Combo, FrontRunner Fridge slide and Bin Slide, Alpha Gte Canopy with FrontRunner Roof Rack and Homemade Awning...Pulling a Caravan sometimes

Thanks Guys. When the handbrake is down and the wheel is off, the wheel / drum do turn. And yes the star screw is taken out.
    I am thinking maybe rust in the hub area as suggested since it is still not coming off.

Thank you I noticed the two threaded holes and wondered if I could put bolts in there to help push away the drum from the rest. Will go buy 8mm bolts and try that.

I will look for the hole to loosen the brake shoes at the back. that should be an interesting one to do through a small hole as I take it one would gave to lift the little arm and turn the adjuster at the same time as with a normal car.

My overall idea is to see if the brake shoes needs replacement, check the caliper seals and do a general cleanup. Plus if any, get rid of the ridge. Just been unsuccessful thus far to get the drum removed.

PS - Brake cleaner is great, but rather wear a mask. It isnt healthy to inhale.

PSS - This is a great time to attack those drums with some hammerrite. There are a few things as awful as rusty drums behind your clean mags... Black is a good colour....

OOO - I was about to say something about yellow and red drums and boksberg till I checked your hometown... ... any colour is better than rust!
    -----------------------------
    Isuzu Frontier 280LX 4x4 2001

@ Hayden,the reason I said take all slack off the handbrake via hand brake adjuster is through experience due to the break drum wear,the hand break is readjusted thus the shoes are expanded open to take up the space and if there is a ridge it hooks.Another trick I was told is to open the bleed screw but place a plastic pipe over the nipple into a jar with brake fluid to stop air sucking into system when de adjusting the brakes.Just glad u could help this member out.

Craig
    215/80/R15c tyres
    GPS,Bluetooth
    snorkel soon
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn View Post
    A can of Brake Cleaner is wonderfull stuff to simply spray all over, to clean and lubricate everything, to stop dust and sand adhering to everything.

Will make your job easier next time too...

Haydn,where do u buy this break cleaner,what does it do ie cleans off or just lubricates and what happens if it gets onto the break drum and shoes will it not be dangerous as spraying Q20 on brake drums.Sorry also just learning,thanks.

Craig
    215/80/R15c tyres
    GPS,Bluetooth
    snorkel soon
    Craig

Brake cleaner is exactly that, it comes in a can, and you can buy it at any MIDAS or AUTOZONE or spares outlet.
    You spray it liberally all over the linings, and especially the metal parts, where the springs and bits join and move. (can be used on almost any part to be cleaned)

It leaves a special dry lubricating film that is rust preventative....

Its nothing like Q20, which is an oil. This is a cleaner especially for this application which protects, even the rubber seals etc.

Its best to slacken or tighten the hand brake at the adjusters in the drums, not at the hand brake cable....

2002 Colt, 2.8 tdi Rodeo, 4x4, ARB Bull Bar, Excalliber Running Boards, Monroe Gas Magnum Shocks, Cooper AT3's, Excel 53l long range tank, National Luna Dual Battery System, Campmaster 80l Fridge/Freezer Combo, FrontRunner Fridge slide and Bin Slide, Alpha Gte Canopy with FrontRunner Roof Rack and Homemade Awning...Pulling a Caravan sometimes