Amarok Dual Battery System

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Amarok Dual Battery System

Hi,

I have been looking at buying a fridge for my Amarok. I am aware that this cannot be plugged directly into the power point in the bak is it will drain my battery. I am however worried about messing with the electrics to have a second batterey installed.

Is it possible to install and charger into that plugs into the power point in the bak that will then charge a secondary battery which the fridge will be plugged into. This would be my ideal situation as it would mean i could unplug this system at anytime.

I was at Outdorr Wharehouse over the weekend where i saw a battery "box" that had all the monitors ect already with a depp cycle batter that really only needed to be connected to the car. The fridge could then be connected to this. Is there anyway of installing this on the existing infrastructure.

If this is not possible, does having a secondary battery installed mess with my warrenty at all?

Another couple of questions I would really appreciate some help with is where can one have a dust proofing kit installed for the bak? I have a tonneau cover but it gets really dusty in the bak (went to 4x4 megaworld but they did not have)?

Also i have seen on the forum that there is an automatic look that can be installed to the bak door that links to your remote. I am extremely untechnical (work in finance) is there somehwer that would install this for me if i ordered it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated ( I am a complete novice to all of these things)

Thanks!

Hi Duggan

I think your best bet would be the battery box from National Luna. I have one and it was quick and easy to install. No need for messing with the vehicles electric system. You connect it straight to the main battery. Easy to read instructions. This system has a lot of features like only starting to charge after the vehicle has been running for a few minutes in order to first charge the Amarok's battery. Also when you switch the vehicle off it disconnects, like some other systems, and will not drain your main battery. The best feature being that you can take the box out should you want to move the fridge closer to your tent or after camping to store it.

The problem with the plug in type of dual battery systems is that you are limited by the plug amperage . I installed the dc to dc ctek battery charger but connected it with 8mm cable directly to the battery but through a fuse . This allows for 25 amp charging .
    I solved the sealing issue by rubberising the load bin with the rear flap closed and then cutting the seal with a stanley knife . I get no dust into my canopy . Also seal all the holes and gaps in your load bin especially the two in the front top corners .

Ctek works just fine of the plug in the bin!
    What a life!

I am installing the PBE system next week. I've looked at all the options and theirs looks the best to me. I'm struggling with the dust in the back with the tonneau cover as well. Safari centre Centurion can help and so can frontrunner. Cost is roughly R850. Went off-roading yesterday and the bak was full if dust. Will do mine after the battery though.

Hi

Get a proper duall battery system. 4x4 megaworld installed mine and your s3cond batt is in a box in the back and u can move or take it out. Have additional plugs and cig lighter plug in it. Also doesnt interfere with your main batt and also dont intervere with the electronics. Cost is about R4000

Dust kit safari centre installed mine for R1200 and yes seal the 2 in the front corners of the bak and also the 3 on the bottom behind the cabin.

Cheers

2017 VW Amarok BiTDi 4Motion D/Cab
    2012 VW Touareg V6 TDi Bluemotion
    2019 Bushlapa Miskruier 1616

no need for a duel battery system just for a fridge. The plug in the loading bin is rated for 120W which is 10A on 12v. My 45L minus40 uses 4.5A on startup and takes 20min to freeze the sides. Get a fridge with a battery check and good insulation and you won't need a second battery. My fridge has been in my bakkie for the last 4months and i never take it out.
    D23 Navara LE Auto 4x4
    Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 75th Anniversary Edition in Sargent Green (sad to have sold it)
    Jeep Wrangler Sahara 3.6 2dr (sold)
    Jurgens XT140 (sold)
    ex VW Amarok 4motion (X3)

Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by Duggen View Post
    Thanks for the help!
    If you get stuck, PM me & I'll try to help. Did all of the above on my own.
    2008 9A Discovery 3 TDV6 SE "Binky"
    2015 Amarok Auto Highline

what about if you are camping for more than a day or two - you need to second battery to run the fridge...I wonder if installing the product below along with the controller box would mess with the warranty - thats the question. The controller box is connected directly via 16mm cabling to the car battery. The second battery connects to the ncontroller box..

http://www.bushpower.co.za/products.asp?pid=583

Put a national luna box with lead crystal battery and no issue with the warranty. Have a lead out the boot and a second from the tow hitch. Gerhard from G-Tec 4x4 in Sun Valley Cape Town was fantastic. Very knowledgeable and good service.

Quote Originally Posted by Quack View Post
    Ctek works just fine of the plug in the bin!
    So that 10A (or max 15A) fuse doesn't blow with the CTEK??

Quote Originally Posted by JurgenSteyn View Post
    So that 10A (or max 15A) fuse doesn't blow with the CTEK??

Nope It works quite well.
    What a life!

Nope It works quite well.
    Did some more research and there might be a single 30A fuse for all 3 sockets (1 in box and 2 at gear lever) - I guess that's the answer.

Now to find the bugger to confirm the story...

Jurgen I've got a generic fuse layout somewhere, give me a few minutes

Edit; think this is it
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Quack; 2015/01/17 at 06:01 PM.
    What a life!

Looks like fuse 38 52 and 59, I suspect 59 is the load bin and is rated at 20A
    What a life!

Looks like fuse 38 52 and 59, I suspect 59 is the load bin and is rated at 20A
    Thank you so much for the info! You have helped me a lot!

Default Re: Amarok Dual Battery System

Just bringing this thread back to life with a question pls....

I have the NL battery box that Ive been using inside my Amarok when I have the fridge on the back seat. When driving I plug into 12v inside the cab, and when stationary I use the box to keep the fridge running, and charge the box on AC when needed. All working fine for now, but I want to put the system in the back as well and didnt want to have to lay new cables etc.

Tested the cigarette lighter socket at the back when the engine is running, get 14.8V....nice. If what Im reading is true, and this is where my question comes in please. If the point at the back is on a 20amp fuse (yet to confirm on 2015 model), should the standard cables not match that capability if I had to plug in my NL box at the back to charge as well has having my fridge running? All fuses on the NL box and fridge are 15amp.

I dont want to plug it in and try as I dont feel like chasing a blown fuse or burnt cables, but has anyone else tried this?
    2015 Amarok highline 2.0 bi-turbo 4motion

Quote Originally Posted by deanversfeld View Post
    Just bringing this thread back to life with a question pls....

I have the NL battery box that Ive been using inside my Amarok when I have the fridge on the back seat. When driving I plug into 12v inside the cab, and when stationary I use the box to keep the fridge running, and charge the box on AC when needed. All working fine for now, but I want to put the system in the back as well and didnt want to have to lay new cables etc.

Tested the cigarette lighter socket at the back when the engine is running, get 14.8V....nice. If what Im reading is true, and this is where my question comes in please. If the point at the back is on a 20amp fuse (yet to confirm on 2015 model), should the standard cables not match that capability if I had to plug in my NL box at the back to charge as well has having my fridge running? All fuses on the NL box and fridge are 15amp.

I dont want to plug it in and try as I dont feel like chasing a blown fuse or burnt cables, but has anyone else tried this?
    Loads of guys are running DC/DC chargers from the loadbin socket. I eventually installed a direct cable from alternator, but the rear bin 12v socket never let me down. It ran a fridge with no issues, but I had to run more than a fridge and went the aux battery route.

You can definitely get away with adding a battery box, with DC/DC charger powered from the socket. It really works well...
    Current: Toyota FJ Sport Cruiser

Previous: VW Amarok ULTIMATE 4motion (auto)
    Previous: Amarok 4motion (MT) with a few goodies
    Previous: Isuzu KB300 Dteq 4x4 not that many goodies
    Prevous: Isuzu KB360 4x4 with a few goodies

20. The Following User Says Thank You to jonoB For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jonoB View Post
    Loads of guys are running DC/DC chargers from the loadbin socket. I eventually installed a direct cable from alternator, but the rear bin 12v socket never let me down. It ran a fridge with no issues, but I had to run more than a fridge and went the aux battery route.

You can definitely get away with adding a battery box, with DC/DC charger powered from the socket. It really works well...
    Great thanks for the feedback.

So to confirm, as standard setup, Im going to
    1. Plug in male cigarette connected to red brad harris plug
    2. Plug in red brad harris into NL box initiating DC to DC charge
    3. System live when car is running and pulling 14.2V+

What happens with the car is off or just ignition on but not pulling the required volts to charge, does the box just not try draw power?
    2015 Amarok highline 2.0 bi-turbo 4motion

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast