Default Freelander 2 (2011) SE - how to adjust headlamps sensitivity

Hi everybody, I have a technical question on a Landrover Freelander 2, SE 2011 model. I tend to keep my lights on "auto" which will turn it on whenever the light outside becomes too dark. They work perfect in that regard, however, my LR is a bit of a dark colour (Orkney Silver) and for me the lights comes on a bit too late (i.e. it is already too dark before they switch on).

I would imagine that the sensitivy of the light sensor is something that can be adjusted (either manually or by software). Does anybody know how to do that or should I rather just wait for my next service and request the dealer to adjust it slightly more sensitive for me.

Reason I haven't taken it to dealer yet is because I recently bought it second hand and the next service is still about 15,000km away so no need to take it in as yet.

Suggestions?

Ps, just to be clear, the auto lights works and come on when they are needed, I would just like them to come on a bit earlier as I am a firm believer that the lights is not for me to see, but for other people to see me.

Regards
    Skouperd

Hallo Skouperd

I see its your first post here, welcome to the forum.

Sorry I cant help but would like to ask, my "auto" lights work & come on just fine but once on they stay on for ever, like when I enter an underground parking garage they switch on fine, but when I leave back into the sunlight they stay on. Does this happen to you ?
    2011 FREELANDER 2 SD4 S
    ex - 2004 DISCO TD5 GS Auto
    ex - 1997 DISCO Tdi

Quote Originally Posted by RANDYTD5 View Post
    Hallo Skouperd

I see its your first post here, welcome to the forum.

Sorry I cant help but would like to ask, my "auto" lights work & come on just fine but once on they stay on for ever, like when I enter an underground parking garage they switch on fine, but when I leave back into the sunlight they stay on. Does this happen to you ?
    Yes, it works like that
    Old Wheeler

Range Rover Big Body 5.0 V8 Supercharged
    Range Rover Evoque SD4
    Land Rover Defender 110 CSW Puma
    Land Rover Defender 110 V8 Game viewer
    Land Rover Defender 100 PU V8
    Jaguar XJS V12

Quote Originally Posted by bvandyk View Post
    Yes, it works like that
    Thanks, now I know, not auto off too.
    2011 FREELANDER 2 SD4 S
    ex - 2004 DISCO TD5 GS Auto
    ex - 1997 DISCO Tdi

Initially when you switch the vehicle on, the lights will stay on for a while regardless of light conditions if our Auto is on. Once running if the lights come on, say under a dark bridge, they will switch off again pretty quickly when you exit. I drive under a bridge on the way to work which causes the lights to come on and they switch off within 5 seconds after I exit from under the bridge.

I know with my Audi you could set the length of this at vehicle startup, called it "Coming / leaving home function ". But the general auto on/off was not adjustable.
    2010 Freelander 2 HSE (SOLD)

You can go fast but....I can go anywhere!

Wish it was auto off, because when I start it in the garage it switches the lights on, and it stays on.
    Old Wheeler

Range Rover Big Body 5.0 V8 Supercharged
    Range Rover Evoque SD4
    Land Rover Defender 110 CSW Puma
    Land Rover Defender 110 V8 Game viewer
    Land Rover Defender 100 PU V8
    Jaguar XJS V12

Hi there, yes, my first post. I am not too concerned with them staying on for longer so I honestly can not say that I've noticed it (at least not to such an extend that I am bothered by it).

Terratiger, yes, that is more or less what I would imagine would be the case here as well. Somewhere there must be a setting or something that is adjustable but I just can't seem to find it. (Unless I am just completely idiotic about it and keep overlooking it).

Default Re: Freelander 2 (2011) SE - how to adjust headlamps sensitivity

Hi. my Freelander 2, 2011 have the worst lights - D1S. I have tried LED's, not good and have Osram Cool Blue, Boost Xenarc ones on now, but still not happy. Any suggestion's, please?
    Thx. Johan

Quote Originally Posted by BuffelB View Post
    Hi. my Freelander 2, 2011 have the worst lights - D1S. I have tried LED's, not good and have Osram Cool Blue, Boost Xenarc ones on now, but still not happy. Any suggestion's, please?
    Thx. Johan
    Hi, i had the same issue about 5 years ago, secondhand lights go for crazy money, i took out the headlights and stripped it apart, i cleaned out that projector bowl aswell as that "magnifying glass" , it had a grey residue on both, after that is was fine, the original bowls i think is phillips.(plastic dipped in chrome) because i saw a burn mark on the outside of the bowl.

But i think i damaged that reflector, because some of the chrome chipped from the projector bowl after i opened it again,

Anyway i searching for those projector bowls for the bulb of which you cant buy loose( complete headlight only)

I bought a D1S bi-xenon projector kit from AliExpress for the freelander2.(metal/pewter)
    I think it was about R1k all in.(dont know the current price for this exercise.
    Ever since, no problems till present.(touch wood)

Did the same conversion to my triton and the results are good,(beautiful cut off line, so no blinding oncoming traffic.

Anyway i hope you get sorted.
    Currently(Katryn) 2011 FL2 SD4 stock
    K6 GSXR750 (With all the BAZZAZ goodies)
    EX: 2012 Mazda CX7 Individual 2.3disi (sold)
    2010 Mazda 3 Sport Dynamic (sold)
    2004 VW 1.9Tdi (sold)
    2007 Fiat Strada (sold)
    (Thandi) K7 gsxr600 (wrecked)

Quote Originally Posted by dieselwa View Post
    Hi, i had the same issue about 5 years ago, secondhand lights go for crazy money, i took out the headlights and stripped it apart, i cleaned out that projector bowl aswell as that "magnifying glass" , it had a grey residue on both, after that is was fine, the original bowls i think is phillips.(plastic dipped in chrome) because i saw a burn mark on the outside of the bowl.But i think i damaged that reflector, because some of the chrome chipped from the projector bowl after i opened it again, Anyway i searching for those projector bowls for the bulb of which you cant buy loose( complete headlight only)I bought a D1S bi-xenon projector kit from AliExpress for the freelander2.(metal/pewter)I think it was about R1k all in.(dont know the current price for this exercise.Ever since, no problems till present.(touch wood)Did the same conversion to my triton and the results are good,(beautiful cut off line, so no blinding oncoming traffic.Anyway i hope you get sorted.
    My OEM xenons did exactly the same. With flaking and burn marks in the projector bowl in the top part.Chucked them and retrofitted the first gen 2.8 Fortuner bi-LED projectors and have only been smiling since I did the retrofit in I think 2021. Just kept the ballasts in to keep it sealed 100%
    2001 Discovery 2 TD5 Auto ES. Bonatti Grey.
    2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE. Kosrae Green of which there are two in the country...
    2016 Campmaster Compact 100 trailer.

----------------

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mariusrautenbach For This Useful Post: