Default Toyota's Killer Firmware

Ek het die storie gister gesien.

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/13/10...iller-firmware

"" "On Thursday, a jury verdict found Toyota's ECU firmware defective, holding it responsible for a crash in which a passenger was killed and the driver injured. What's significant about this is that it's the first time a jury heard about software defects uncovered by a plaintiff's expert witnesses. A summary of the defects discussed at trial is interesting reading, as well the transcript of court testimony. 'Although Toyota had performed a stack analysis, Barr concluded the automaker had completely botched it. Toyota missed some of the calls made via pointer, missed stack usage by library and assembly functions (about 350 in total), and missed RTOS use during task switching. They also failed to perform run-time stack monitoring.' Anyone wonder what the impact will be on self-driving cars?" ""
    Tans: 2006 Jeep WK 3.0 - Black Overland
    Previous:
    Mazda BT-50 4x4 2.5
    Mazda Drifter 2.5
    VW Ou Blou Kombi - Lekker klankstelsel en n bed!
    ----------------------------
    Sny jou hare en speel Rugby!
    Sport liefhebber: Support SA en enige span wat teen Engeland speel.

stack analysis - missed stack usage by library and assembly functions - and missed RTOS use during task switching - run-time stack monitoring..................mmmmmm - don't buy a Toyota!!
    FJC - Just Cruising

Sorry if i seem insensitive, but if you had an accident because your car's drive-by -wire got stuck wide open (for whatever reason) you should not be driving!
    Manual gearbox= throttle stuck open, push in clutch, shift to neutral, freewheel to the side of the road, switch off engine.
    Automatic gearbox= throttle stuck open, shift to neutral, freewheel to side of the road, switch off engine.

This whole story started when the driver of a lexus drove on the freeway in the USA for many miles flat out because of a stuck throttle, during the chase he was on the phone with a 911 operator and being chased by a few police cars, during all of this he never shifted to neutral or stood on the brakes or switched of the car, after a good number of miles he left the road and had a fatal crash, the next day every lawyer in america the went apeshit and envisioned an early retirement in the bahamas and sued toyota en-mass.
    During the ensuing media frenzy thousands of drivers also saw a payday and started claiming that their toyotas suffered "unintended acceleration" after spending hundreds of millions of dollars on investigating this, it was found that the genuine cases were caused by incorrect rubber mats being fitted by customers and interfering with the pedals (the lexus driver had fitted weathertech rubber mats from his old RX350 over the textile carpets in his new ES300 which wedged the gas pedal wide open) Toyota was found not responsible by the court in California.

During this whole mess Car and Driver magazine took a v6 camry and managed repeatedly to bring it to a standstill with the brakes from 130km while also having the accelerator fully floored!

All cars these days have electronic throttles and just like any component they can fail, causing an emergency situation,the sad truth is that the majority of drivers on the road have no clue how to safely operate their vehicles in an emergency situation, which is probably why i have often seen drivers stopped in the middle lane of the N1 highway to change a flat tyre, and it's why the poor guy in the lexus died together with his passengers that day.

how else would the yanks embezzle a few million dollar out of toyota?
    Training: 4x4, bush mechanics, recovery, defensive, 4x4 trucks
    Supply and manufacture: Recovery gear, Custom 4x4 installations and manufacturing, 4x4 equipment
    Angel Construction
    Turnkey Construction solutions [Indoor shooting ranges, safe rooms, shops and shopfitting, Rainwater harvesting, Solar]
    IP CCTV, electric Fencing, Automation, Gates, Stainless steel Fabrication
    You name it, we can probably build or manufacture it.
    COMBAT19: Large scale fogging and decontamination
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

Quote Originally Posted by eonvr View Post
    it was found that the genuine cases were caused by incorrect rubber mats being fitted by customers and interfering with the pedals (the lexus driver had fitted weathertech rubber mats from his old RX350 over the textile carpets in his new ES300 which wedged the gas pedal wide open) Toyota was found not responsible by the court in California.
    This made me laugh!

A while back I picked up a rental from Durban Airport. Think it was a Renault Logan (the worst car I have ever been in).

Couldn't figure out why everytime I changed gears the car over revved to hell and back and why I had to keep pulling the loud peddle back with my toe when I stopped. I even showed my colleagues who I was driving behind how my Logan had it's own "speedo cruise" by putting both feet on the dash as I sped past them!

By the time I got to the hotel I realised it was the damn floor mat that didn't fit properly and kept on hooking the peddle down. Was tricky in peak hour traffic

Toyota must just fit one of these in their AMERICAN vehicles! Put on a label that reads: "IN CASE OF PANIC, HIT BUTTON"
    --Kar

Quote Originally Posted by eonvr View Post
    Sorry if i seem insensitive, but if you had an accident because your car's drive-by -wire got stuck wide open (for whatever reason) you should not be driving!
    Manual gearbox= throttle stuck open, push in clutch, shift to neutral, freewheel to the side of the road, switch off engine.
    Automatic gearbox= throttle stuck open, shift to neutral, freewheel to side of the road, switch off engine.

This whole story started when the driver of a lexus drove on the freeway in the USA for many miles flat out because of a stuck throttle, during the chase he was on the phone with a 911 operator and being chased by a few police cars, during all of this he never shifted to neutral or stood on the brakes or switched of the car, after a good number of miles he left the road and had a fatal crash, the next day every lawyer in america the went apeshit and envisioned an early retirement in the bahamas and sued toyota en-mass.
    During the ensuing media frenzy thousands of drivers also saw a payday and started claiming that their toyotas suffered "unintended acceleration" after spending hundreds of millions of dollars on investigating this, it was found that the genuine cases were caused by incorrect rubber mats being fitted by customers and interfering with the pedals (the lexus driver had fitted weathertech rubber mats from his old RX350 over the textile carpets in his new ES300 which wedged the gas pedal wide open) Toyota was found not responsible by the court in California.

During this whole mess Car and Driver magazine took a v6 camry and managed repeatedly to bring it to a standstill with the brakes from 130km while also having the accelerator fully floored!

All cars these days have electronic throttles and just like any component they can fail, causing an emergency situation,the sad truth is that the majority of drivers on the road have no clue how to safely operate their vehicles in an emergency situation, which is probably why i have often seen drivers stopped in the middle lane of the N1 highway to change a flat tyre, and it's why the poor guy in the lexus died together with his passengers that day.
    +1

'12 Audi Q5 3.0 TDi quattro stock standard

'07 VW Touareg (T2) 3.0 V6 TDi (BKS), Air Suspension, Centre and Rear diff locks, DeCAT, 265-65R17 muds - Sold

'01 Jeep WJ Limited 4.7 V8 with some bits - Sold
    '83 Range Rover Classic 3dr 3.5 V8 Rust bucket - Sold

I am so happy we live in a country without the jury system.

what a joke...