View Poll Results: Do you find her attractive with a snorkel (a Fortuner)

Voters
116. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

66 56.90%
  • No

50 43.10%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Christo Meissenheimer Guest

If we got stuck in Botswana that day even with a snorkel the Fortuner would have been gone. The Fortuner electronics sits behind the dash starting as low as the gear lever and as soon as you get stuck in deep water your insides floods with water. That is what happen with us , if we were any longer in that water the electrics would have gotten wet. This only applies to cars with electrics.

How does Oom Hermans says , avoid water as far as you can. We have turned around at multiple river crossing and even if we had a snorkel we would still have turned around. A snorkel on modern day cars with a lot of electronics gives you false security. Water is a 4x4's worst enemy. If we can't go through in Namibia , Botswana or any other country through the water , we won't risk our 4x4 just to get to our destination. Remember , water gets into your diffs , transfer cases example and a snorkel does not prevent that. Yes you can raise your breather pipes but not many people does. Nothing of a 4x4 loves water.

Also don't do water crossings alone, if there is a chance off getting stuck , put the recovery gear in place that you can start snatching as soon as the 4x4 going through is losing traction.

Christo Meissenheimer
    Last edited by Christo Meissenheimer; 2013/10/12 at 08:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Don't argue with young Mr Meissenheimer, he knows EVERYTHING.
    Speel kinders nie meer buite nie?

2010 Defender 110 Puma HCPU (Bostrok)
    2019 BMW 318i (MevCon)

@Christo,
    All you say is in principle valid and possibly part of an advanced 4x4 training course.
    However the dynamics of river crossings don't end with the equipment of the car but with the style to drive and tackle a water crossing.
    We all learn and get wiser, if we would turn around from each obstacle most of the trips wouldn't happen.
    Sometimes we fail, more often we succeed (fortunately).
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call:​ WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari Safari View Post
    We all learn and get wiser, if we would turn around from each obstacle most of the trips wouldn't happen.
    Sometimes we fail, more often we succeed (fortunately).
    Why do you want to go through a watercrossing when you know your 4x4 won't make it and will probable drown because that is why we turned. Then there will be no more 4x4 trips because your 4x4 is drowned. We won't do moremi because we have friends that lost 4x4's there and how many 4x4's have drowned in that place and I am quite sure you drowned yours there as well if I look at the pics. We turned around in Savuti flood plans , because you could not see the road for more than 2km , so full of water it was. The hole we almost drowned our Fortuner , the guy before us drown his brand new Ranger and that was in Savuti but we were confident we would make it . When the Fortuner was starting to loose traction they started snatching us with the Hilux and that was the only thing that saved us. The second attempt we went more left and with more speed and we made it.

You also learn to know your 4x4 capabilities and when to back off before you hurt your 4x4. Why even try if you know you can loose your 4x4. That is how my Dad learned me to 4x4. When in doubt , turn around because you will just regret it later when you don't have a 4x4 because you wrote it off. We don't have the money to just drive , if we loose our Fortuner we are in really big trouble

We don't have a 4x4 to prove what it can do, we have a 4x4 to go see places we can't without it and when we need it we have it. We also don't drive trails anymore, but I just came back from 4x4ing today where my Dad toke me to get my convince levels up. I did grade 3-4 obstaclels with my Dad helping me and my Dad will back down before I do , why ? because my Dad is much wiser than what I am. There isn't allot of rock or mud or sand obstacle we would back down from when overlanding because you can control what is going on, you can build road example. Water is a whole other story.Water if you you get stuck , it is hippos and crocodiles you must still deal with. We stay away from water if we are unsure if we would make it.

I understand that you take much more risks that we would and that is how you drive not we and I respect it. We drive in convoy in all our trips. We decide as a group if we turn around and look for a other way to get to our destination and we have always found away around and got to our destination.

Christo Meissenheimer
    Last edited by Christo Meissenheimer; 2013/10/13 at 01:09 PM.

But I understand 100% what you are saying and yes sometimes there isn't a other way around and you have only one choose. Lucky we have one been in that situation ones and we made through without damaged and overlanding like you would know is a whole other ball game than 4x4 trails because if you loose your 4x4 on a overlanding your whole trip is gone.

Christo Meissenheimer

Sounds like a whole bunch of woessies out here. When in convoy, just take one descent 4x4 along that can get through and tow the bunch of Toys through afterward.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab

Oh, and I'm sure he would NOT have made it if not for a snorkel.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

Quote Originally Posted by Christo Meissenheimer View Post
    But I understand 100% what you are saying and yes sometimes there isn't a other way around and you have only one choose. Lucky we have one been in that situation ones and we made through without damaged and overlanding like you would know is a whole other ball game than 4x4 trails because if you loose your 4x4 on a overlanding your whole trip is gone.

Christo Meissenheimer
    Look Christo,

Comes time when you own your vcery own 4x4 and you have done a few trips (say with bookings and pre-payment) or alternatively you want or have to stick to a schedule or kind of plan you won;t have the choice to turn around as this would compromise the whole trip schedule.
    I do this commercially and have paying guests with expectations, so I can hardly afford to turn around or detour for 100's of kilometers for a water crossing avoidance, hence I equip my vehicles to be able to do them (snorkel and all).
    The I try to wade through and find the best spot to cross, even if I get wet up to my waist.

Okay, off topic now but once you deviate from a leisure family outing to serious overland trips in all seasons you will have to adapt.

Further, you cannot make a rule out of a single event but learn for the next one

I am not doing trails.

Over and out.
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call:​ WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

I think Christo has for once some very wise words for people who fit a snorkel and then think their 4x4 can be a submarine.

- electronics will suffer
    - all external engine components like tensioner pulley bearings, aircon compressor, alternator etc etc will suffer
    - 4x4 drivetrain will suffer
    - mud and crap everywhere
    - water inside everything

His advice is sound: IF YOU CAN AVOID A WATER CROSSING DO SO
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari Safari View Post
    Nice one, it almost looks like an off-roader now .
    The wider stance will also compensate for the roll-over issues.
    Any idea what tyre size are mounted on this one.
    I believe it was 33"
    Variety is the spice of life!

Here's some context......

Okay , looks like the Meissenheimers wants one. Had anybody had a look at them and have pictures. I will maybe go and have a look tomorrow and see how they look , because at that prize you can't say no!

Christo Meissenheimer
    CM: Dad, Dad, I've found what we can buy next!
    DM: Bugger off, Christo. When you're paying for it, you can buy it. Go hang some dice from your own rear view mirror!

+1. Saw photos on the Fortuner forum and they look cheap and just plain crap.
    http://www.fortuner4x4fans.co.za/for...el/index2.html

Also we don't think we need the snorkel. We have done multiple river crossings where the water came over the bonnet until the water reached the windscreen. Got almost stuck in Botswana with the water just below the left hand mirror and the water was seat level in the Fortuner with no damage at all. The electrics will go before the engine will drown.

Christo Meissenheimer

Christo - you make it too easy!
    Last edited by LandyAndy; 2013/10/31 at 12:38 PM.
    Andrew Beuster

Amarok milk bottle

"So really , you are not so smart , you are a old Oomie that has to much time on his hands" - Christo Meisenheimer

Just somethings LandyAndy , I buy stuff for our Fortuner with my own money for my Dad's . Ask Uys , I bought stuff from him for my Dad.

If we every buy a snorkel it will be for the looks nothing else. Me and my Dad went to the shop and it did not look good to us , so we left it.

My Dad is not really active anymore on the Forum , because he is working his ass off and I organize the mods for our Fortuner because my Dad don't have time to sit on the internet and search for things he wants. I did our sparewheel carrier from NicoP and the bush cables and the long range tank and the lower control arms plates from Uys example.

So no , your description of how it went down is not really true

Christo Meissenheimer

I always thought practicality outweighs looks... In this world.
    Ross

Quote Originally Posted by RMackay View Post
    I always thought practicality outweighs looks... In this world.
    Must agree. I don't like the snorkel because it obscures my line of sight slightly to the left. People use it as a handle to get into the vehicle and I have had to make it stronger to take the weight of Mafuta kitchen staff. The plumbing I had to build was a nightmare.

So if I could have found another way to do it I would have, but now I sit with this thing that has a practical purpose that far outweighs the looks (or lack thereof).
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3