Mitsibishi diff

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Mitsibishi diff

Red face Mitsibishi diff

I call on my fellow forumites for some help... I am urgently in need of a diff for my 2800tdi Colt. According to my machanic a diff from a pajero or triton will also work seeing that the ratio are the same. I took the the vehicle to Gearmax in PE. And was quoted R12500 ex vat for the rebuilt. I simply just cant afford to spend that kind of money on the moment. The Colt is also my daily drive so it became a huge problem. If anyone can help with a better price even if it is just for some of the parts it will be greatly appreciated. I am willing to collect from anywhere. Thanx guys
    A clean 4x4 is a sign of a sick mind.
    Colt Clubcab 2800 TDI 4x4 - SAC EGT & Boost combo, 180watt lightbar (probably illegal) GET IN, SIT DOWN
    SHUT UP, & HANG ON
    Suzuki GSXR1100 - net vir die teer.... - Sold
    BB - Restored

Previous:
    Toyota 3.0KZ-TE SC (you will be missed)
    Pajero 3.5 V6 (Die dors ene)

What part of the diff do you need? I think I have some of the internals of the SWB's diff in the garage (we fitted a ARB locker)... You need to give me ratios to check for you though...
    IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!

Apparently I need to make the airplane noises like mommy does when I try to spoon feed you the info..

I will post the ratios tomorrow after i consulted my machanic. Actually just gave him a call. The standard diff ratio is 4.636. I am not a mach so it dont mean that much to me. Does that makes sense?
    Colt Clubcab 2800 TDI 4x4 - SAC EGT & Boost combo, 180watt lightbar (probably illegal) GET IN, SIT DOWN
    SHUT UP, & HANG ON
    BB - Restored

Previous:

I'll go find the box tomorrow, see whats in there and if it's of use..

Apparently I need to make the airplane noises like mommy does when I try to spoon feed you the info..

Very much appreciated. You dont know how much. Thanx
    SHUT UP, & HANG ON
    BB - Restored

Previous:

Front or rear diff?

This is the rear diff.
    SHUT UP, & HANG ON
    BB - Restored

Previous:

As far as I know only the 3.5 pajero came out with the 4.636. I see your Colt is a 2.8 so it should be the same as the 2.8 pajero ratio of 4.9.What is wrong with the diff?
    Last edited by 4x4junki; 2013/09/17 at 06:48 AM.

Yeah whats wrong with the diff? They don't give any hassles....

2002 Colt, 2.8 tdi Rodeo, 4x4, ARB Bull Bar, Excalliber Running Boards, Monroe Gas Magnum Shocks, Cooper AT3's, Excel 53l long range tank, National Luna Dual Battery System, Campmaster 80l Fridge/Freezer Combo, FrontRunner Fridge slide and Bin Slide, Alpha Gte Canopy with FrontRunner Roof Rack and Homemade Awning...Pulling a Caravan sometimes

Haydn, thread here: http://4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php?t=153706

JJ doesn't give a lot of info on what went wrong.

The parts I have in the garage should be either a 4.875 or 4.636 ratio (most likely 4.875), you need to be very sure though as the 3.2DiD had a 4.10 ratio or a 3.97 ratio if I'm not mistaken.

" According to my machanic a diff from a pajero or triton will also work seeing that the ratio are the same." That needs clatification Old or new Pajero? Also, I remember my old ClubCab 4x2 2.8tdi having a ratio of something like 4.555...

Most likely if it's 4.875 and your planet gears or sun gears went, or your pinion ring is ISM (in sy m**r), we can negotiate on a price (bit expensive to just give away)...

Let us know and maybe we can help..

I don't understand Afrikaans, so I wouldn't know, sorry...

2002 Colt, 2.8 tdi Rodeo, 4x4, ARB Bull Bar, Excalliber Running Boards, Monroe Gas Magnum Shocks, Cooper AT3's, Excel 53l long range tank, National Luna Dual Battery System, Campmaster 80l Fridge/Freezer Combo, FrontRunner Fridge slide and Bin Slide, Alpha Gte Canopy with FrontRunner Roof Rack and Homemade Awning...Pulling a Caravan sometimes

Sorry Im a bit late.
    @pblaauw - I am more than willing to negotiate of its the parts I need. Unfortunately not a lot of diffs here on the gatkant of SA hehe

Let me first tell you the symptoms. Maybe someone will inderstand more than I do
    It all started with a bigger than normal backlash on the diff. Nothing too serious. When I pulled away from standstill a slight "clank" sound could be heard. It changed into a clank sound while changing from 1st to 2nd and while applying brakes. Next what happened was that when I pull away in 1st i head a pinging sound from the rear. First thought it was something in the brakedrum. Took it off and found nothing wrong. Even removed the spare wheel for incase it knocks against something. Still the problem was there. Next we jacked the rear of the bakkie, putted in some "bokkies", of with the handbrake and in neutral. When turning the rear wheel a play and sound is heard on the diff. Started the colt, put in first. While running with the rear wheels in the air a ponging sound is heard but it comes and go. Same goes for 2nd gear. When there is traction(wheels on the ground again) the sound is much louder and only goes away on higher speeds.
    SHUT UP, & HANG ON
    BB - Restored

Previous:

These diffs are known to get a bit of backlash, but it is usually from the splines inside the side gears and the side shafts....

The internals on these diffs are almost bullet proof, unless water gets in or lack of oil or wrong oil, but that will destroy any diff....

Have they stripped it? If so, what is worn? or are they just replacing everything to make money and because they actually have no clue...

Question backlash

Sounds to me if the backlash is too much. If something should break inside a diff you will not be able to drive it. If you want to measure the backlash yourself it is quite easy. Measure it and let us now what are your findings
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The 5mm limit is mostly for the Pajero 3.5 with a ratio of 4.636 and 4.900. It is more or less the same diff so it should be the same. Maybe someone has a colt manual to check the backlash limit and give some insight

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn View Post
    The internals on these diffs are almost bullet proof, unless water gets in or lack of oil or wrong oil, but that will destroy any diff....

Have they stripped it? If so, what is worn? or are they just replacing everything to make money and because they actually have no clue...
    Probably the latter Unless he did some serious offroading and had strengthened sideshafts (as I suspect they would go first), or like you say, wrong oil, and water...

That backlash you measuring according to that diagram, will be the total backlash. This will include the side gear to side shaft backlash as I mentioned earlier.

The proper way to measure backlash will be to remove the diff and check it with a dial gauge.

I would also check the pinion to companion flange, for looseness and noise.

This is what I suspect is causing your noise. The collapsible spacer has probably collapsed or been damaged, or one of the bearings has collapsed.

I doubt you need an entire new diff.

This is why I ask? Has this diff been stripped and evaluated? What has been found to be the cause?

I know these guys at these diff and gearbox repair places. They just quote and say you need a new diff or gearbox and this is the price...Bang!
    Without even stripping or doing a few checks.

Nope the diff had not been stripped. It was on a hoist and tested by hand. What would you guys suggest I do? Its difficult for me to strip the diff and let it stand. Seeing that it is my daily drive
    SHUT UP, & HANG ON
    BB - Restored

Previous:

unfortunately it's the only way...

It might need new bearings to say the least, I suspect the side gears are worn and worn out the splines on the side shafts.

Maybe, and possibly the pinion nut has been loosened to change a leaking seal. This was probably not tightened properly, as there is a collapsible spacer that needs to be compressed.

This can be easily rectified with new side shafts, setting the planetary gear clearance, worse, would be to replace the planetary cluster gear set.

checking and rectifying the preload and the backlash.

All this will never come close to R12 grand.

It might be something relatively small.... you will never know, if you just accept these mechanics who simply quoted you for a new diff.

The Crown wheel and pinion set, seems to never wear out on these cars, go ask the agents, see how many they have sold... Like never!!!

So I found the ARB boxwith my old diff, and spoke to JJ on the phone. He has the 4.636 diff, I have most of the internals of a 4.875.. Haydn, can the parts I have work for him?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	diff1.jpg 
Views:	3410 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	238261   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	diff2.jpg 
Views:	3023 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	238262   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	diff3.jpg 
Views:	3959 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	238263  

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast