Mitsibishi diff - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Mitsibishi diff

Hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but seeing as everyone is on the subject of differentials.
    Can one change the ratio of the diff..?
    Here's my reason: 2.4Colt with SAC Stage 2 Conversion (Gas-flowed, bigger valves, branches, free-flow, chip air-flow meter, air filter)

am getting good low-down power (245NM Torque) and would like to give her longer legs for better fuel consumption.
    I was told that the diff is the place to do that..
    Thanks!

If JJ has the 4.636 diff ratio he is running a 3.5 pajero ratio. Pblaauw your manual also states it. Drain the diff oil and check for water and impurities coming with the oil. This will give you an indication of the contamination if there is any. Fill up with new oil and testdrive and listen if noise levels are lower

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4junki View Post
    If JJ has the 4.636 diff ratio he is running a 3.5 pajero ratio. Pblaauw your manual also states it.
    Yes, but if he can transfer the pinion ring (absent from mine) to match the ratio then he can use the planet / sun gears and housing (should be the same splines).. Even if he has to buy just a pinion ring it's cheaper than a entire diff..
    IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!

Apparently I need to make the airplane noises like mommy does when I try to spoon feed you the info..

Default I took the plunge...

Decided to take the plunge and remove the diff. The bearings and crownwheel and pinion looks fine. I suspect the planetry gears. Any thoughts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130919_195849.jpg 
Views:	744 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	238311   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130919_194806.jpg 
Views:	439 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	238312   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130919_192802.jpg 
Views:	415 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	238313  
    GET IN, SIT DOWN
    SHUT UP, & HANG ON
    Suzuki GSXR1100 - net vir die teer.... - Sold
    BB - Restored

Previous:
    Toyota 3.0KZ-TE SC (you will be missed)
    Pajero 3.5 V6 (Die dors ene)

It could work, if he uses his crown wheel and pinion. If this is a 4x4, the front and back diffs need to be the same ratio otherwise it will lock up when 4x4 is engaged, as the one diff will be turning at a different speed as the other, while the transfer box is trying to supply equal drive to both.

Have to see if it fits first. Remember the crown wheel and pinion are cut as a set and cannot be interchanged.

Get a workshop to set the pre load and backlash please. Its not a DIY job. They will need to reset the tooth contact pattern and so I suggest get them to do the assembly.

2002 Colt, 2.8 tdi Rodeo, 4x4, ARB Bull Bar, Excalliber Running Boards, Monroe Gas Magnum Shocks, Cooper AT3's, Excel 53l long range tank, National Luna Dual Battery System, Campmaster 80l Fridge/Freezer Combo, FrontRunner Fridge slide and Bin Slide, Alpha Gte Canopy with FrontRunner Roof Rack and Homemade Awning...Pulling a Caravan sometimes

Well, I'll send it if he pays the courier If it works we can talk price...

Apparently I need to make the airplane noises like mommy does when I try to spoon feed you the info..

I don't like the colour on the bearing cage. Looks like some corrosion.

The wear pattern on the crown wheel and pinion look normal.

Are you doing this yourself? If so, please find attached workshop manual pertaining to this repair.

You need to check the tooth to tooth contact and backlash on the planetary gears. also the thrust clearance and check the splines on the driveshaft to the side gears as well

How was the backlash on the crown wheel to pinion?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2002 Colt, 2.8 tdi Rodeo, 4x4, ARB Bull Bar, Excalliber Running Boards, Monroe Gas Magnum Shocks, Cooper AT3's, Excel 53l long range tank, National Luna Dual Battery System, Campmaster 80l Fridge/Freezer Combo, FrontRunner Fridge slide and Bin Slide, Alpha Gte Canopy with FrontRunner Roof Rack and Homemade Awning...Pulling a Caravan sometimes

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Haydn For This Useful Post:

I am lucky enough to have a good friend that is a machanic for the local Mitsibishi dealership. He helped me tonight to remove the diff etc. i asked him regarding his experience with diffs and apparently they never really had any troubles with the diffs. Most diffs repairs they do is only for the locker switch. While its open I will rather replace all the bearings seals etc.
    Backlash on the diff was a bit much but he said it can be corrected.
    GET IN, SIT DOWN
    SHUT UP, & HANG ON
    BB - Restored

Previous:

That has been my general experience with these diffs too....They really are that good.....

Awesome, that will save you a packet.

New bearings, seals, while you at it, new diff switch ( they do not last so change it while you have it all stripped), If you remove the pinion, please replace the collapsible spacer.
    Check and maybe replace rear wheel bearings and seals, as you have stripped all that already.

Then all good to go, and it will cost you less than R2000.00 as apposed to those palookers quoting you R12000.00

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn View Post
    Then all good to go, and it will cost you less than R2000.00 as apposed to those palookers quoting you R12000.00
    When I was on the phone with JJ yesterday he mentioned the R12 500 quote was exc. VAT, which is scary if you think the ARB locker + compressor I got was R18 000 including VAT and fitment

Just ordered the front and rear as well as the side bearings. O ja plus the seal.
    Salesman didnt know what I meant when I ask for the collapsible spacer. Seeing that I dont really know can someone maybe shed a bit of light on that for me please.

@Haydn - What is most likely the source of the pinging sound coming from the diff. What is the chances of the planetry gears breaking? I spoke to Pieter this morning and he is willing to sent me the diff he got there, but if that is not necessary I dont want to spent a lot of money on a courier.
    GET IN, SIT DOWN
    SHUT UP, & HANG ON
    BB - Restored

Previous:

On page 27-33, item no 21 is the diff pinion spacer.
    This is a collapsible spacer. It is renewed if loosened or disturbed, It MUST BE TORQUED DOWN TO SPEC. this causes it to collapse and sets the preload on the pinion bearing.

I need to look at you diff, its hard to guess, without the evidence in front of me. But your mechanic will know or should know how to check excess diff gear and side gear backlash. This is most probably the cause of your noisy diff. You need to check the spines on the side shaft and mic them up to the side gear. Check to see how loose or free they are.

This will give you the backlash at the wheels or propshaft and can be noisy too

Are you coming right?

You have not let us know of any progress, or what you have found to be the cause...

Sorry guys. Got some more news. Diff has been stripped. According to local machie my planetry gears are shot. Will post some pics now
    GET IN, SIT DOWN
    SHUT UP, & HANG ON
    BB - Restored

Previous:

Default just my 2cw pajero vs colt diff

Hi guys, as far as I can remember the pajero diffs are imported whereas colts, tritons are local gearmax axles. if you look at the diff housings you can see the pajero is a lot bigger than the colt so my concern is that it might be same ratio but a bigger crown wheel and pinion. suggest you check it out. Just for reference in case this comes up again with some one else as well
    SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY,
    SOMETIMES I JUST LET HER SLEEP!

Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete View Post
    Hi guys, as far as I can remember the pajero diffs are imported whereas colts, tritons are local gearmax axles. if you look at the diff housings you can see the pajero is a lot bigger than the colt so my concern is that it might be same ratio but a bigger crown wheel and pinion. suggest you check it out. Just for reference in case this comes up again with some one else as well

Here you are very wrong friend.

The only locally sourced diff for the Mitsubishi, is found on some 2.0LWB pick ups. If you look at it from the rear, it will have a silver aluminum rear cover.

All the diffs on the Colts, 3.0V6 and 2.8Tdi and pajero's are all fully imported Mitsubishi Diffs.

They are probably the best there is out there, and have been for many years. Very very seldom they pack up

Quote Originally Posted by JJjbay View Post
    Sorry guys. Got some more news. Diff has been stripped. According to local machie my planetry gears are shot. Will post some pics now
    Glad you never went and jumped off a cliff or something.

Hope you come right soon. Keep us posted.

They are probably the best there is out there, and have been for many years. Very very seldom they pack up
    Aren't they licensed Dana 44?

Here you are very wrong friend.

The only locally sourced diff for the Mitsubishi, is found on some 2.0LWB pick ups. If you look at it from the rear, it will have a silver aluminum rear cover.

All the diffs on the Colts, 3.0V6 and 2.8Tdi and pajero's are all fully imported Mitsubishi Diffs.

Haydn,
    I recently asked for a quote from a diff & propshaft co to have my 2.8 colt's uj's and center bearing overhauled (replaced). They asked me if my colt have the local or imported propshaft (now how am I suppose to know this....)
    apparently something to do with the circlips being either internal or external on the uj's.
    If you say the diff on the colts are imported, wouldn't all the propshafts also be imported then? or did they feed me bollocks?

Definitely not.

Mitsubishi uses a banjo type, semi floating diff. Made by Mitsubishi

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast