Angry Hijackers get smart with GPS

Maybe this has been posted previously, if so apologies, if not, read on. It only crossed my desk (screen) today and I am indeed also using the "home" on 'My locations'!! Changing it tonight.

Source of article unknown, received by e-mail from friend!!

If moderator reckons this is more suitable in the GPS section, please move it.

-----------------------------------------------
    HIJACKERS GET SMART WITH GPS
    29 January 2008, 07:13

By Thandi Skade

Imagine surviving the trauma of a hijacking, only to come home a few days later to find your house has been broken into and ransacked.

Your initial thoughts may be that it's a coincidence or perhaps a case of seriously bad luck.

But this may not necessarily be the case if you are the owner of a global positioning system (GPS), a device that is quickly gaining popularity among motorists around the country.

People who have difficulty reading a normal road map describe it as a "God-send" as signal information from 24 satellites in orbit is transmitted straight to the device, which then calculates the user's exact location and displays it on the unit's electronic map.

But as useful as the device is in helping motorists to find their way, criminals have now found a way of using the device against its owner.

ADT Armed Response has issued a security alert to all GPS owners urging them not to programme their home addresses into the device, as hijackers are now using the device to figure out where their victims live.

"Hijackers are now identifying victims' residences by simply selecting or typing the word 'home' as a destination," said ADT Joburg's managing director Roy Rawlings.

"This results in GPS systems directing hijackers straight to victims' houses."

Instead of programming your home address onto the system, Rawlings suggests that you programme a nearby location, such as a petrol station or shopping centre.

In this way, criminals will have no way of figuring out your physical address.

Rawlings further advises GPS owners "to activate the lockout or security feature of their GPS system, which will help prevent anyone else from operating it.

"This means that when you switch off your car, your GPS system will also shut down.

"When the vehicle is restarted and the GPS system is reactivated, a pin or code will be required," making it impossible for a criminal to access your information.

-----------------------------------------------------------
    Nayela Okapi 2023 model Caravan
    Toyota Prado 150 VX 4.0. 2015 model
    Chevrolet Trailblazer 2.8 TLZ 4x4 MT 2013 - sold Jan 2021
    Pajero 3.5 GLS Face Lift 1998 - sold July 2016.

Cape Town, Tokai/Plumstead/The Sea/Franskraal

They are getting smarter by the day, crooks are not stoopit you know.... another new scam that is poking it's head out, with all these expensive competition numbers and the rest, you pay Rx for making the call, well, they boost their in come by advertising stuff for sale in as many places in SA as they can, Autotrader, Cape Ads, junkmail Gumtree, there must be a miriad of places, then they give the number, but when you try and call, it is always on voice mail..... ta daaaaa. But you are persistent, you call 3 or 4 times, have a look at how much that call is costing you, not saying all is like that, but..... there are a good few out there...

So the next time you see a Sony HD TV 42" for R5500, this that or the other, owner immigrating, or these long lists of stuff at stoopit prices, beware.... Make money advertising on da Intahnet...
    Isuzu KB300 d-Teq with high range, low range and long range.
    Isuzu KB280DT wif a front diff.
    Mercedes W123 300D has been sold.
    Bio Fuel and WVO on hold for now.

SORRY, need to correct some facts, heard that on 702 also, and he also said that there are no such known cases, however that was a warning of a possible scenario, that could happen!!!

NOT YET

however still good advice!!

however, even if you dont mark your home as home, (stand to be corrected ) most garmin GPS also mark a track (both my units do this) of where you have been, and if the criminal element has mastered the use of GPSs, then just removing the home waypoint is not enough!!, can easily see where you drive on a regular basis. EASY!!!

its good to warn people however if this has never happened, then this might of just given some criminal elements an extra tool to use in their crime sprees!!

just my 2c worth!!

Most GPS people can not even navigate to a waypoint. Not even to mention track back on a track. Perhaps we should get said criminals to offer GPS training...
    TLC 105 Fully Locked

Agree with you Morne...

We may have hardened criminals, but most of them can't even read, never mind work out how to use a GPS.

Admittedly I posted this same warning several months back when I saw on "The Real Hustle" how criminals in Britain could use your GPS. I saw a subsequent article in the Daily Telegraph where they interviewed known car thieves and most of them didn't even know what a GPS was.
    Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

I think having Home on your cell phone is much worse than on your GPS, we should all have ICE on our cellphones though so if you are involved in an accident people can check through your contacts and call your next of kin. I suppose that could be as bad as home ICE = in case of emergencies
    2010 3l D4D Hilux Raider DC, Burnco front bumper, Cooper STT's, Ironman Shocks and Coils, Stofpad Rocksliders and LCSP's
    <O></O>
    ORRA D04

ZS1ASH

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
    I think having Home on your cell phone is much worse than on your GPS, we should all have ICE on our cellphones though so if you are involved in an accident people can check through your contacts and call your next of kin. I suppose that could be as bad as home ICE = in case of emergencies

thats a good idea, heard that one a while ago and forgot about it!!

and yes its true GPSs are not easy to use!!

I use the security feature on my Garmin, which requires a 4 digit pin code
    to operate - hope that is good enough

Cool

Why generally would some one put there own home on the GPS surely you know where you stay.
    ORA
    -------------------------
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by OFFROAD ADDICT View Post
    surely you know where you stay.
    Dependsh on if 'tsh late at nightsh
    Rampie
    No Land Rover - Soon to change though

Quote Originally Posted by OFFROAD ADDICT View Post
    Why generally would some one put there own home on the GPS surely you know where you stay.
    Tut Tut Ian - it's also about knowing how far you have to drive from the butt-end of the Free State...
    Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!