Power cuts

Thread: Power cuts

Default Power cuts

I have been reading all the posts, and watching how the generators are flying off of the shelves (I saw three people actually come to blows in Makro over the last generator), and have been wondering if we are not overreacting.

This is my view.

Most of us on this forum are the outdoors type, who don't mind roughing it a bit (SWAMBO insists on a flush toilet), but the idea of two hours (HA HA) without power is making us scurry around, spending thousands.

Get a two plate gas stove for R180-00. I have used one since April 2007, and not finished a 9kg cylinder, and my power bill came down by R120 per month.

You need light, so get some emergency lights at R200 each. They last for 4 hours, so switch them off if you are not in the room.

Hot water will be available for a good few hours after the cut, or shower in the morning.

Have keys cut for the release arm on your gate, so you can open it.

Don't open your fridge/freezer more than necessary, and it will be cold for the NORMAL power cut.

Who cares about DSTV. If you have to, hook up your inverter via a ups.

My ideal is to run al the lights in my house off sloar, as well as get a sola geyser, but that will hae to wait until the hype has died down, and Escom comes to the party with their promised subsidies on sloar heating.

My 2c worth

After the Carte Blanche program, I think it is going to take one helluva effort to get the power situation reversed in South Africa.

I am not quite ready to cancel my order for that 100KVA genset.

PS.
    We saw all this kinda hype in both Zambia, Mozambique and Zimbabwe before.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

Are you self employed?
    I am. And my power cut problems are bigger than not having TV and using a candle.

And from a work point of view it's not so much the 2 hours of no power but rather the fact that (down here anyway) they just switch it off when it suits them, not to the published schedule. We can be working on a job and the power goes. So we pack up and head for a job in another area. 20 minutes into the job the power goes. Decide to go home and do some chores- power get's cut

Anyway that's enough moaning or I might have to nuke my own post
    * "Wat Spike probeer sÍ in sy min woorde" -Die Skim "
    .................................................. .....

I agree about the work situation. I am also self employed, and rely heavily on computers and printers. The power went down as I was preparing a huge print job, and there was F all I could do about it, as my invertors wouldn't start the pc's. I am considering a gen for the office to avoid the down time

Quote Originally Posted by bushy View Post
    I agree about the work situation. I am also self employed, and rely heavily on computers and printers. The power went down as I was preparing a huge print job, and there was F all I could do about it, as my invertors wouldn't start the pc's. I am considering a gen for the office to avoid the down time

Just remember you still need to get a decent sized UPS to carry you over during the cut over.

Hi Bushy

I agree with the 2hrs at home is not a issue (if you dont have kids or babys) hell me and the wife talk more when the power is out

But I agree with Spike self employed it hits you hard. Where I work we installed a 500 kva genset with Auto change over best thing ever.

If we did not have it installed we would loose about 10% of our sales a month. In long term we would loose the contract which is worth 3 mill $ a year
    Fortuner 4x4 3.0 D4d 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Hi Bushy

I agree with the 2hrs at home is not a issue (if you dont have kids or babys) hell me and the wife talk more when the power is out...
    .. agree here, our power has been going out in the 5-7 slot pretty much about 3 times a week, so much for scheduling in different areas. So to maintain as much "normality", if the power is out when I get home with the boys, lights the fire(Like my grandad did 100years ago) start braaiing. We eat loads of chicken....??...... and the boys get into the pool, reckon Chlorine is going to do as good a job as soap...(yippeeee someone actually using the pool that I work so hard to keep clean....) but now wifey has really started to like my braai chicken breasts, and we sommer do some meat over the braai anyway when I get home, even if the power is on, and the kiddies still swim, so.....

But I agree with the business that is the big big looser....
    Mercedes W123 300D, runs on Mother Natures Goodness.
    Powered by the Sun, the Rain and the Earth.
    Have now covered 220 000Km on veg oil.
    Oh, and an Isuzu 280DT.

This is one point where living where we do - between the el Presidente's Palace and the Union Buildings - is a great advantage. They seem to keep missing out on cutting off our power.

One interesting thing that I've noticed is that for years Eskom and the energy establishment have pooh-poohed any ideas around energy saving and efficiency. Suddenly it has become everyone's patriotic duty.

Last week I spoke to someone who claimed that the essentials for life are good coffee and 2-ply toilet paper. Both are easy to get without Eskom's interference.
    '97 Disco Tdi

I also agree that the power cut at home is not an issue as we actually enjoy having more braais during the week

But also agree with Spike.fficeffice" />>>

My wife is self employed and her office is at home. Every Blackout is costing her money as she still has to pay her employees for idling and the extra time spends.>>
    > >
    I bought a genset for almost twice the normal price with a smile as the expense is recuperated in les than a week.
    D4 V8
    Live life on the edge... you get a better view !
    Disco 3 Video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STt7DmJeeVc

I have been reading all the posts, and watching how the generators are flying off of the shelves (I saw three people actually come to blows in Makro over the last generator), and have been wondering if we are not overreacting.

This is my view.

Most of us on this forum are the outdoors type, who don't mind roughing it a bit (SWAMBO insists on a flush toilet), but the idea of two hours (HA HA) without power is making us scurry around, spending thousands.

Get a two plate gas stove for R180-00. I have used one since April 2007, and not finished a 9kg cylinder, and my power bill came down by R120 per month.

You need light, so get some emergency lights at R200 each. They last for 4 hours, so switch them off if you are not in the room.

Hot water will be available for a good few hours after the cut, or shower in the morning.

Have keys cut for the release arm on your gate, so you can open it.

Don't open your fridge/freezer more than necessary, and it will be cold for the NORMAL power cut.

Who cares about DSTV. If you have to, hook up your inverter via a ups.

My ideal is to run al the lights in my house off sloar, as well as get a sola geyser, but that will hae to wait until the hype has died down, and Escom comes to the party with their promised subsidies on sloar heating.

My 2c worth
    agree with you, not so bad could become worse with quotas!!

went to makro earlier on(not for a geny) and the only ones left were the 650w.

Dirk has good advice on the UPS.

there is one thing that I can not understand

where i stay there is no load shedding!!!

got a geny 9mnths ago, and never had a need for it!! lucky me!!

I hear that the old suburbs of JHB will be less affected by the blackouts than the newer ones, as we have some system installed which allows the municipality to cut power to our geysers (ripple something?)

Red face

I hear that the old suburbs of JHB will be less affected by the blackouts than the newer ones, as we have some system installed which allows the municipality to cut power to our geysers (ripple something?)
    Ripple relay switch. Eksdom sends a certain frequency through and the relay switches your cylinder off. THey do the same again later to reactivate. You are correct some areas are still on the old system where someone has to get into car and go to a location and switch off. Sometimes no pool car available so you stay on. Most new ones is from central location

ORA
    -------------------------
    Ian

[quote=bushy;147207]I hear that the old suburbs of JHB will be less affected by the blackouts than the newer ones, as we have some system installed which allows the municipality to cut power to our geysers (ripple something?)[/quot

We have had it for years in Kuils River, never had a problem with it.
    We have load shedding not more than once a week, if that much.

Default Braai hom !! Gee hom gas !!!! Nie 'n bonus nie !!!!

Ek wil nou nie weer die doem profeet wees nie, maar moet iemand se agterend nie 'n bietjie slae kry oor hierdie gaos nie? Kom ons vat Amerika en die Enron skandaal, daardie baas van hulle sukkel om homself uit die tjoekie te hou! Deur swak bestuur kos Eskom die land +/- R400 000 000(volgens Mike Schuzler) per dag !!!!! Ek se braai die ***** wat ons land so verneder het, ..........nie met 'n bonus van R17 000 000 nie.
    Last edited by Dirk; 2008/01/30 at 08:56 AM.
    No one ever ruined their eyesight by looking at the BRIGHT side!!
    Ford Ranger 4l 4x4
    Nissan Patrol 4.8
    Nissan King Cab (aka Navara )
    ďEverybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.Ē
    Albert Einstein

Whoooopa 3 The Goat strike back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqw5...ature=youtu.be

Another teazer.....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51KljMSXOnI