HELP?! Fitting shocks to a trailer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default HELP?! Fitting shocks to a trailer

Can anyone tell me more on fitting shocks to my quad trailer with fixed axle? The problem seems to be that once we off-load the quads and the empty trailer gets bounced on rough terrain, it breaks axles and springs. It seems fine when loaded though so I am assuming that it is because the weels do not stay on the ground when empty. So far I'm on my third or fourth axle and again broke the right hand side leaf springs over this weekend.
    Rampie
    No Land Rover - Soon to change though

Quote Originally Posted by Rampie View Post
    Can anyone tell me more on fitting shocks to my quad trailer with fixed axle? The problem seems to be that once we off-load the quads and the empty trailer gets bounced on rough terrain, it breaks axles and springs. It seems fine when loaded though so I am assuming that it is because the weels do not stay on the ground when empty. So far I'm on my third or fourth axle and again broke the right hand side leaf springs over this weekend.
    Shocks would certainly help with the stability of your trailer, but I'm afraid, it would have no effect on the carring capacity of the axle or spings, which I believe to be the problem.

You may find, that the weight of the quads is actually breaking the axle axle or springs, it may even only be cracking these, and then when the trailer bounces, it is actually the "straw that breaks the camels back".

I would consider upgrading the axle and spring pack, as shocks are only act as a "dampening" agent, therefore assisting in stability rather than carring capacity.....
    Wade Bowman
    '07 Land Cruiser 76 SW
    '08 Discovery 3 V6TD HSE
    '11 Conqueror Companion

Hi Rampie

It is a relatively simple addition and makes a king size difference in the towing of the trailer. I have added a set of shocks to my venter style trailer that I use for my everyday work and had I known the difference that this simple mod would do I would have done it years ago.
    I used a pair of front shocks for an old style mini and made the lower attachment level with the bottom of the axle and the top level with the top of the trailer chassis. Use high tensile bolts for fixing and make sure all welding is strong it takes quite a beating. Will take some pics tomorrow and post it.

Henk
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

hi!

also carry quads, and have been looking at descent built up traylors, the one suggestion that i have is add and extra axle it will share what ever loads there are, and if something goes wrong with the one axel, you not stuck!!

am planing on building a new traylor soon and it will be double axel for sure, the other thing is does your traylor have small wheels or big 4x4 wheels.
    the 4x4 wheels might give the traylor more of a air/rubber cushion and take part of the punishment!!

good luck!!

Default Trailer Mods

Thanks Guys

The first thing happening is a second axle with complete new longer leaf springs, as I think the weight might be a problem - even though it is a 3-quad trailer built by Supreme Pta. Present axle is a 1,5ton after last one (think 750kg?) broke on Desert Run near Askham last year. That would mean cutting into the trailers frame and relocating the axles. Any suggestions on best location for the axles on a 3,8m trailer?

Secondly shocks are a definite must. I've seen the difference they make and don't understand why they are not offered as an option by all trailer manufacturers.

Lastly I'm thinking about the tyres as they are little 14" marie biscuit jobs now which have to be pumped very hard to take the load. Maybe more of the same tyres will also help...?

Cheers
    Rampie

Quote Originally Posted by hbannink View Post
    Hi Rampie

Will take some pics tomorrow and post it.

Henk
    Henk that will be great! Thanks
    Rampie

To find a position for the axle(s) load the trailer as for towing, position the axle(s) for 70kg on the tow hitch.
    Sakkie Coetzee

Some people say I have a "short temper"....I see it as swift and assertive reaction to Bull!

I have build a few trailers and personally hate Double axle trailers, cos it must be made for a specific vehicle [tow height]. Having said that my big trailer 4.8x2m flat bed is equipped with decent axles and breaking system and is fantastic for heavy [2 to 3t] loads......just dont turn.....stable and brakes as quick as I would if I did not have a trailer on.

1]double axle=safe, but not nice to manuvre.
    2] shocks always works
    3] load spread is very very important
    4] Always use a braked axle....worth it
    5] dont let palookas with diy welders work on your trailer. NEVER had a trailer break on me, if loaded right[not overloaded]
    Turnkey Construction Projects, Commercial, industrial, Domestic
    Importers: Diving gear, Compressed air cylinders for diving and airgun industry, 4x4 equipment.
    Manufacturers: Pofadder Kinetic ropes, Recovery kits, Synthetic winch ropes
    Vehicles: Modifications and installations, Special application vehicles
    Driver training: 4x4, Defensive
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

Many years ago I had a home made bike trailer whose springs were just too soft for two Honda 500r's (Spike, are you watching this space)

I fitted two old motorbike shocks, yes, I'm so old our bikes had TWO shocks at the back! It worked like a charm, not only did it add spring rating but it had dampening aswell. It was a very easy job to do, and well worth the trouble!
    Nissan Patrol 4500 GRX Iron Man susp.<br>Ford Fiesta 1.6 Ambient "Noddy"<br>Scott CR1 Carbon road bike<br>Intense 5.5FRO mountain bike; HANDCRAFTED IN CALIFORNIA -Fox susp. - 5.5" travel rear - 5" travel front<br>Soon to become a Natalian.<br> KTM640 Adventure R

Default ...and me too

I'm also looking at fitting shocks to my trailer, fitted with blade leafs only. Only problem is the chassis is galvanised. Does anyone know of something that will effectively & permanently prevent rust where welding damages the galvanising? Or is it better to take the chance of drilling holes & bolting on?
    So, do you limit yourself to logic? And what about the beauties and glories of the unexplained?

Thanks Guys

The first thing happening is a second axle with complete new longer leaf springs, as I think the weight might be a problem - even though it is a 3-quad trailer built by Supreme Pta. Present axle is a 1,5ton after last one (think 750kg?) broke on Desert Run near Askham last year. That would mean cutting into the trailers frame and relocating the axles. Any suggestions on best location for the axles on a 3,8m trailer?

Secondly shocks are a definite must. I've seen the difference they make and don't understand why they are not offered as an option by all trailer manufacturers.

Lastly I'm thinking about the tyres as they are little 14" marie biscuit jobs now which have to be pumped very hard to take the load. Maybe more of the same tyres will also help...?

Cheers
    ok!

have hear two stories on this and thus not sure which one to use, so will list both!!

the 1st one is the 1st and braked axel, 150mm behind the center of the load bay. and the next axle behind that one, and the traylor should stand on its own with both axles on the traylor!!

the second is the 1st axle should be at 55%of the load bay!!

if you going for 1.5ton axls maybe you should look at the ones that can take the 4x4 wheels, that way you have spares wheels, either way, and if need be can even take wheels of the traylor just get your 4x4 going!!

hope this helps!!

by the way what are you getting the axles for , can get them for the 1.6 ton braked with the 4x4 wheel patern 2.3wide, for R2450 plus vat.

good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrie View Post
    I'm also looking at fitting shocks to my trailer, fitted with blade leafs only. Only problem is the chassis is galvanised. Does anyone know of something that will effectively & permanently prevent rust where welding damages the galvanising? Or is it better to take the chance of drilling holes & bolting on?
    you get stuff that eats the rust and leaves a protective coat on the material,and then can always paint with red oxide and then silver spray to hide the coatings!!!

good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by Engel View Post
    5] dont let palookas with diy welders work on your trailer.
    Engel
    The palooka with the welder working on the trailer is gonna be me .

Rampie

Quote Originally Posted by kfxnando View Post
    can get them for the 1.6 ton braked with the 4x4 wheel patern 2.3wide, for R2450 plus vat.
    Haven't worked up the courage to start phoning for spares, but that price sounds good. Does it include all the extra bits needed to fit the braked axle?
    The trailer body is 1.98m wide, so how long an axle should I be getting? How do I measure the existing axle without taking all the wheels bearings etc off?

Andre
    Rampie

Haven't worked up the courage to start phoning for spares, but that price sounds good. Does it include all the extra bits needed to fit the braked axle?
    The trailer body is 1.98m wide, so how long an axle should I be getting? How do I measure the existing axle without taking all the wheels bearings etc off?

Andre
    then you would need the above mentioned axle, the springs are extra!!

ok found the paper with the full prices!!
    1.6 to axle R2450 plus vat and there are cables on the axle, that would go to a central pulling point!!

for the second axle unbraked R795 plus vat

springs 8 blade 27'' R90 each

and the hang set R18.50/set

hope this helps!!

been busy with my traylor, NOT broken just extending it, so that it can carry the 3 quads, and other ods and ends, and the final thing will be a new axle.

at the moment got magic axle with independent suspension coil springs and shocks!!

however need something with more ground clearance

good luck, shout if you need more info!!

4ePajero Guest

Have you ever considered a genuine bogey design for the two axles?

The advantages are:
    • one set of leaf springs
    • exactly equal load distribution between the two axles.
    • easy to fit shocks

Quote Originally Posted by 4ePajero View Post
    Have you ever considered a genuine bogey design for the two axles?

The advantages are:
    • one set of leaf springs
    • exactly equal load distribution between the two axles.
    • easy to fit shocks

the issue that I have with one set of leaf springs is this, we do ride off road, and have seen broken leaf springs before, if you have separate leaf springs for each axle, even with a prob on one axle you can still complete the trip or get to the next town for help!!

4ePajero Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kfxnando View Post
    the issue that I have with one set of leaf springs is this, we do ride off road, and have seen broken leaf springs before, if you have separate leaf springs for each axle, even with a prob on one axle you can still complete the trip or get to the next town for help!!
    I would bolt a spare set of leafs to the bottom of the trailer chassis, regardless of the type of axle(s).
    Last edited by 4ePajero; 2008/02/02 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 4ePajero View Post
    I would bolt a spare set of leafs to the bottom of the trailer chassis, regardless of the type of axle(s).
    sorry, that would defeat the point!! IMO!

there are huge benefits to running double and triple independent axles!!

example when traveling bumpy/or pot holed roads multiple independent axles gives a much smother ride, here is why

on a single leaf spring/dual axles both axles would move when encountering an obstacle,on multiple independent system, each axle moves independent over the obstacle keeping the traylor more stable.
    while the one axle is moving up/down, the other is still stable carrying the load and maintaining stability!!
    this is easily visible when going over speed bumps for a quick demo!!

hope this explains adequately the benefits of isolating the axles from each other!!

4ePajero Guest

I honour your opinion, but I would say that, had the costs of two independent axles and a rocking bogey been the same, there would not have been a comparison.

The main advantage of a rocking bogey is that the wheel ALWAYS share the load equally, whilst on the independent axles, certain conditions can cause one axles to carry all the load. This in turn forces you to fit tyres and springs that can carry the full load on each axle, which defeats the object.

With independent axles, incorrect loading and hitch height can cause unequal loading of the axles.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast