Renault Duster - Page 145

Page 145 of 147 FirstFirst ... 45 95 120 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 LastLast
Results 2,881 to 2,900 of 2938

Thread: Renault Duster

Default Re: Renault Duster

With nearly all of our vehicles grounded, don't forget to put your battery on a (smart) charger. The parasitic drain (radio code, immobiliser) is small on OEM vehicles, but could be higher with different head units, active trackers, etc.

Also, move the vehicle slightly. Modern tyres don't develop the overnight flat spots like Rayon tyres, but still, a little TLC won't go unnoticed.

Also, crank the motor at least once a week to put some oil on the cylinder walls and to prevent sludge settling in the fuel lines and pump.
    Renault Duster 4WD Gen1: No Meow, GC = 254mm

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Butch Dassie For This Useful Post:

Default DIY Rear Lift Kit

Why can't I do this?

Our rear diff is supported by two transverse / cross beams held by four bolts in total. Spacers between the unibody and beams will raise the body.

Gartech in Cape Town sells Ultra High Molecular Weight (UHMW) Polyethylene (PE 1000)
    These are mainly used as bushings or guides in equipment, are self lubricating (won't squeak, low coefficient of friction), are highly impact and shock resistant and have good abrasion resistance (15 times greater than carbon steel). I don't think they'll compress (creep) over time. The cylindrical logs are easily cut and drilled with fine tooth saw blades and normal drill bits.

I would need to purchase four longer, suitable grade high-tensile hex bolts - probably grade 8.8 / class 10.9 – BS 4168 – ISO 7380 Mild Steel Black, Electro Galvanized, Hot Dipped Galvanized spec should work. I need to take off one of the bolts to check it's grade and to get the current length. Bolt-It, EMV Africa, Bolt Fast, Impala Bolt & Nut and Mr Bolt and Nut sell these in Cape Town.

I was thinking of raising the back by 3.5 cm. Actually, the rear diff currently looks parallel to the road yet the prop shaft angles from here up to the engine. Hmm - should one try to get better alignment one wonders?

I might need to rehang the exhaust pipe.
    First pic
    The one side of the silencer is on a hanger attached to the rear differential sub-frame. Therefore, it will stay with the diff.
    Second pic
    Third pic
    However, the other side of the silencer at the top (view from bottom and side) is attached to the body.
    Fourth pic
    I am concerned about the hanger in the middle of the vehicle as it is also attached to the body.
    Fifth pic
    Here you can see two of the ends of the rear sub-frame pipes with flattened ends and hex bolt through each. The sway bar will stay with the rear diff and wheels. You can just see one of the two rear diff breathers at the top left in the pic. If there isn't sufficient slack, they can be unclipped. They should really be extended to sit next to the front diff breather. (another project)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Silencer_hanger_Tranny_Sub-frame.PNG 
Views:	49 
Size:	639.1 KB 
ID:	566801   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Top_of_Silencer_hangar.PNG 
Views:	48 
Size:	267.8 KB 
ID:	566802   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Side_view_top_silencer_hanger.PNG 
Size:	197.1 KB 
ID:	566803   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mid-exhaust-pipe_hanger.PNG 
Size:	504.7 KB 
ID:	566804   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Two_Rear_Sub-Frame_Bolts_1_Breather.PNG 
Views:	51 
Size:	380.3 KB 
ID:	566805  

Default DIY Front Lift Kit

Now for the front

The engine hangs towards the bash plate, but I suspect can only be lowered 2.5 cm before hitting the downpipe as this is all the Mudster lowering kit provides. (Maybe time to replace the downpipe - hold this thought for another project.)
    First Pic
    There are four hanging bolts on the driver's side (Renault calls this the right-hand suspended mounting support). On the left of the pic under the protective cover is the heavily clamped bracket rubber mounted bolt. I have slightly rerouted by fuel lines due to the additional fuel filter.
    Second Pic
    It's dark under the PAX side battery tray and this pic only shows one of the three hanging bolts (bottom middle-right of pic). Renault calls the left-hand mounting bolts on the gearbox.
    However, as the engine gets warm, I'm not sure that UHMW PE 1000 can handle the heat. I have sent an email, but who is open now anyway. Actually, China is still shipping.

Lowering the tranny looks easy.
    Third Pic
    This is the rear tranny transverse brace (Renault calls this the engine tie-bar bolt). The bolt on the right (front) in the pic is holding the rear of the front sub-frame.
    Fourth Pic
    The top bolt is the front of the front sub-frame bracket. Yes, I have upgraded my bash plate bolts (bottom bolt).

Fabrication
    Fifth Pic
    This vertical pipe is the sub-frame tie-rod and a new extended one needs to be fabricated.
    Sixth Pic
    Also, the steering track rod links need to extended and bent downwards as well, which could be tricky as it contains the toe-in adjustment on one side (far left nut in pic behind some noise abatement material I added) and the other must be correctly positioned to hold the ball end properly. Once finished, the toe-in needs to be re-aligned. There is no camber, castor or pivot adjustment.

Better yet and much simpler although more pricey, is to order four top of spring spacers from here: https://www.spaccer.com/en_US/makes-...enault/duster/
    You can choose 12 mm, 24 mm, 36 mm or 48 mm.
    This should allow taller tyres to fit. Expect more body sway when doing back-and-forth lane changes at speed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Driver_Engine_Hangar.PNG 
Views:	40 
Size:	892.4 KB 
ID:	567124   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PAX_Engine_Hangar.PNG 
Views:	43 
Size:	312.7 KB 
ID:	567125   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Front_Tranny_Brace_Front_Sub-frame.PNG 
Views:	47 
Size:	935.8 KB 
ID:	567126   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Front_Front_Sub-frame.PNG 
Views:	45 
Size:	318.9 KB 
ID:	567127   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Front_Vertical_Bar.PNG 
Size:	377.7 KB 
ID:	567128   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tie-Track-Rod.PNG 
Size:	505.4 KB 
ID:	567129  

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Butch Dassie For This Useful Post:

Expected here by end of this year

Hey!
    i have a 1.5 dci and i want it to Sound a bit more, have anyone removed the resonator or bhought some kind of aftermarket exhaust?

Quote Originally Posted by Mandus View Post
    Hey!
    i have a 1.5 dci and i want it to Sound a bit more, have anyone removed the resonator or bhought some kind of aftermarket exhaust?
    Straight pipe it
    One life Live it

Take The Roads less traveled

Alles in die lewe gebeur met n doel

If you want more sound, remove the turbocharger. It is the biggest sound absorber in the exhaust system. Mine, without cat and DPF, isn't really that much louder. Too much sound and they drone at speed like some CVTs.

What he said. 50mm minimum
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggy4x4Bedinges View Post
    Straight pipe it
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

That should be good for a 3 litre plus motor.

Nope. 3L around 76mm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butch Dassie View Post
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

50mm straight pipe on a small turbo diesel engine wil be good
    The turbo spools up faster and it sounds buch better you even hear the turbo

On my KB 300D-teq I am running a 76mm straight pipe
    One life Live it

Take The Roads less traveled

Alles in die lewe gebeur met n doel

If you want more sound, remove the turbocharger. It is the biggest sound absorber in the exhaust system. Mine, without cat and DPF, isn't really that much louder. Too much sound and they drone at speed like some CVTs.
    😂
    Willie

2000 Land Rover Discovery II TD5
    2020 Nissan NP300 2.5TDi S/C

I agree that larger is louder.

Our stock motor produces 80 kW. I'm probably just over 100 kW. Given our piston displacement and revs, my ideal single pipe size is 57 mm, which will see me to 138 kW. We have a variable vane turbo. So, a downpipe with a divorce pipe probably won't work. Our primaries should remain small for higher exhaust-gas velocity to get the turbo spooling as early as possible, which is more advantageous than scavenging at this point. After the turbo, just get rid of it.

The cat and DPF are blocking flow more than the silencer. I don't have a resonator, cat or DPF.

I'm just saying that above 57 mm is probably a waste for me.

True BD, and on a diesel there is no need for back pressure like a petrol.

I read that the shorter the pipe, the better. The quicker the stuff past the turbo get out, the better....

So straight piped like a cat-back exhaust?
    I know very little about theese things but would love to hear some turbo spool etc 🤗
    Only thing om concerned about is the car-inspection where i live, they can be brutal haha.

If you are located in Karlskrona, Sweden, then you will need to follow your local legislation. We don't have annual emission inspections nor requirements for anti-pollution equipment on our vehicles. Most here just keep whatever was sold with their vehicle.

Larger pipe cat-backs exhausts (with muffler / silencer) are allowed in most countries. Check that the final decibels are acceptable for your inspections. You'll have restriction still from the turbo to the cat / DPF though.

You can also hear the turbo spool and dump between gear shifts with a silicone pipe on one end of the intake connected to one of those large conical, reusable, after-market air filters on the other end. However, being unrestricted, you also hear high pitched induction (wind) noises. Getting a reusable, low restriction, panel filter is probably the better and cheapest compromise. Don't expect too much power gain as our engine has all the air it needs.

I didn't say all the oxygen it needs as I've seen reports of our EGR hitting 40% recycled exhaust at times. However, deleting your EGR is probably forbidden there, although usually undetectable (mine completely plugged up anyway), if one ignores that the ECU needs to be re-flashed. If you are still in warranty, ask your tuner for a discount if the dealership "updates" it and you need to flash it again.

I agree that larger is louder.

Our stock motor produces 80 kW. I'm probably just over 100 kW. Given our piston displacement and revs, my ideal single pipe size is 57 mm, which will see me to 138 kW. We have a variable vane turbo. So, a downpipe with a divorce pipe probably won't work. Our primaries should remain small for higher exhaust-gas velocity to get the turbo spooling as early as possible, which is more advantageous than scavenging at this point. After the turbo, just get rid of it.

The cat and DPF are blocking flow more than the silencer. I don't have a resonator, cat or DPF.

I'm just saying that above 57 mm is probably a waste for me.
    Hi, BD, how did you manage to reach 100kW? And the torque increase?
    I enjoy reading your posts.
    2009 WK 5.7, OME 2" suspension, free flow no cats with harmonic chamber

Mainly by adding 10% more fuel in the re-map and oxygen with the EGR delete. Boost was tweaked up a slight bit at the lower end. It breathes a bit better through the K&N and out with deleted cat and DPF. I'm probably just north of 300 Nm (from 240).

What was unexpected was the improvement in fuel economy.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Butch Dassie For This Useful Post:

This is really good info! Thanks mate!
    I might just start with a drop in filter ad you mentioned. Have seen some videos of straight piped 1.5 clios etc on youtube and i think they Sound rather good.
    Do you have any videos of your car in action Butch Dassie?

Pleasure

Vids - haha - I tried videoing my 0 - 100 kph runs, but I had too much camera shake.