Renault Duster - Page 9

Page 9 of 136 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 34 59 109 ... LastLast

Thread: Renault Duster

Quote Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post
    He is bitching and moaning about about a guys posting who owned 5 Renault's making negative comments about them

So please let me know who is supposed to be able to comment on a car?

When someone who knows people (first hand accounts to them) that has issues it is supposedly from guys who does not have first hand experience.

Then a guy who owned 5 is also criticized for making a statement? So who is allowed to comment?

As for People I know
    My Father
    My brother
    My one Friend Marcel
    1 guy that worked with me (Johan)
    and then a few other that may just be hear say

So if you want empirical evidence no I don't have empirical evidence

But then no one has because I'm 100% sure no one has done a study to find out how many previous owners of Renaults in SA will never buy them again

and as for the wiper blades
    the point is that Renault fits wiper blades that is very specific to their cars (at least current models do in the cases of Clio and Megane don't know about Dacia built Duster)
    So you can't use Bosch or durablade or other suppliers

and then to crown it all they charge about R1000 a set (round about 10x what a decent set should cost)
    So how does that work for you?

and oh here I did have first hand account because I had to try and help my father find wiper blades at a more reasonable price
    unfortunately I did not find any locally

If you don't care about my statement then no problem
    and if you decide to buy a Renault great I hope it works out and does not give you grief
    I'm sure not all of them do

as for best I can do for empirical evidence
    helo peter has 25 complaints about Renault's since 1'st of the month
    7 compliments
    I have owned 5 Renaults. 3 which I drove myself, Swambo drove the 4th one and the 5th one is currently Swambo's daily transport. My first three each did around 150k km, the 4th one 75k km (sold because we needed more power for the regular Cape Town trips), 5th one now on 22k km. My sister had a Clio which she owned for 7 years and 120k km. My mom had a Megane which she drove for 7 years and 160k km. Swambos mom has a Megane which is now 11 years old an has 140k km on the clock. In our business fleet I swopped the 2011 Audi A1 1.6tdi (17k km) I was using to see clients daily for a 2006 Scenic with 110k km on the clock. I have now numbered 9 Renaults which I am very familiar with.

All these Renaults I mentioned above are and have been reliable good cars, and all of us are pretty happy with our Renaults. I also never needed to replace my wiper blades, so if they are expensive at least they are quality and tend to last

My most unreliable car I have personally owned happened to be a Toyota.

Have you counted the complaints about VW, Audi and Toyota on hellopeter? Remember, those are companies who don't respond, so many guys won't even bother to complain, representing only a small number of the actual number of unhappy clients (which is already a huge number).

So I truly don't get what you're trying to say

Sent from my GT-P5100 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by rmat1985; 2013/10/21 at 09:14 PM.
    Currently own: 2018 Ford Ranger 3.2 TDCI A/T 4x4 Double Cab XLT

Then followed a 2009 Toyota Prado 4.0V6 (Nice car), after which a 2008 Pajero 3.8 V6 SWB followed (which I will forever miss)
    Fourth 4x4: 2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 TDCI 4x4 Manual double cab
    Third 4x4: 2013 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D4D 4x4 Manual
    Second 4x4: 2010 Mitsubishi Triton 3.2 Manual 4x4 Double Cab
    First 4x4: 2010 Nissan NP300 Hardbody 2.4 4x4 D/C

2. The Following User Says Thank You to rmat1985 For This Useful Post:

@Mario.......the one thing I forgot to point it is that this statement isn't quite accurate in the brochure. The torque goes to the axles. This is something I learned on the forum

Lock Mode:
    - Operation: engine torque distributed to all four wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Kane700206 View Post
    Hi XJ J, thanks for your great report on the Duster. Took delivery of Dusty on Thursday in De Aar, the 550 km home was such a pleasant surprise, she soaked up all the bumps in the road and breezed through the Meiringspoort corners, got home with half a tank of diesel, now if you own a Hummer that will definitely put a big smile on your face. Could not wait to try the Vleesbaai 4x4 route, we love this dune route it's close to home and it's not a vehicle breaker. Arived early Sunday morning, aired down to 0.6 back and 0.7 front and switched from 2 wheel drive to 4x4 lock mode. We were a bit skeptical and the owner accompanied us with his Cruiser to the first obstacles, just incase we needed recovery. Dusty surprised all and it soon became apparent that no recovery will be needed so he went home. Dusty completed all the obstacles first time round as well as the last obstacle, a large dune which is not conquered easily. I'm very pleased with my new 4x4 and impressed with it's capabilities, the 1.5 motor is punchy and economical, I will not take her to rocky trails where good ground clearance is essential but for sand, gravel and highway driving l could not be happier!

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk 2
    Congrats, the French sure know how to build a comfy car.

Enjoy your wheels :thumbup:

Then followed a 2009 Toyota Prado 4.0V6 (Nice car), after which a 2008 Pajero 3.8 V6 SWB followed (which I will forever miss)

Quote Originally Posted by Metalmachine View Post
    They can take it half way up Mt Everest on its own steam, install a coffee maker in the boot, give it a 200mm lift, put a locker on each wheel, gearbox and rear view mirror, make it with little soft fingers that massage my B***s when I go faster than 60 and set new world records for fuel consumption and 4x4 ability........

But after 5 Renaults I'd rather take Apoc's ridicule for riding a bicycle with half a kilo of wagon grease up me backside than ever....ever owning a Renault ever again..........

Thank you and good night.........

PS...By the way, my last Renault was that little Megane with the 1.5Dci motor. What a crock of Shyte!! Good fuel consumption between my home and the dealer........
    LOL, that was hilarious! But I have to ask why 5? Did you get them for free?

They can take it half way up Mt Everest on its own steam, install a coffee maker in the boot, give it a 200mm lift, put a locker on each wheel, gearbox and rear view mirror, make it with little soft fingers that massage my B***s when I go faster than 60 and set new world records for fuel consumption and 4x4 ability........

But after 5 Renaults I'd rather take Apoc's ridicule for riding a bicycle with half a kilo of wagon grease up me backside than ever....ever owning a Renault ever again..........

Thank you and good night.........

PS...By the way, my last Renault was that little Megane with the 1.5Dci motor. What a crock of Shyte!! Good fuel consumption between my home and the dealer........
    The Megane II was quite advanced electronically in 2003 when it was launched (offering standard what not even Mercs, BMWs or Audi's offered at twice the price), and the initial units apparantly had some electronics issues which was sorted out towards 2005. Remember that VW's 1.9tdi is also known for its engine/turbo failures. Currently the Megane III is rated as UK's 3rd most reliable car (in its class off course) according to google

Even Toyota couldn't get the electronics right. Remember the Carte blanche story on unintensional accelleration on various Toyota and Lexus products. Even my 2013 Fortuner had numerous electronic niggles...

So, your Megane probably had some electronics issues, which probably was associated with the earlier model Megane II and which is not a characteristic of the Renault brand.

Last edited by rmat1985; 2013/10/21 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rmat1985 View Post
    Congrats, the French sure know how to build a comfy car.

Enjoy your wheels :thumbup:

Thanks Rmat1985! Yes they definitely do, this is my fifth French car , two Renualt Clio's, CitroŽn C4, Peugeot 407 and they did not disappoint with Dusty. I was fortunate enough to own a few other brands and loved all of them too, sure all cars have their strong and weak points but I am fortunate enough to own one, will take good care of it and deal with the problems, if any! Where would we be without our cars?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk 2
    Dusty

Hi Veneficus,

In answer to the PM you sent me.

Please read my posts carefully AGAIN

I never said only people with good experiences or who own Renaults are allowed to comment, this is in your own head. What I actually said is that receiving bad dealer service, having a break down with your car, having to pay (sometimes high prices) for spare/replacement parts, not getting maintenance done free for life on your car, seeing hundreds of complaints on Hellopeter, etc is not unique to Renault.

There is no issue with you or anybody who has not owned a Renault posting, BUT trying to create an UNTRUE perception that ALL Renaults are bad and unreliable and that they are the worst of all brands out there is what I don't get.

In my own experience the service I received from Toyota and Audi was no better than the service I received from Renault over the last 10 years. Just to avoid confusion, I am NOT saying that Renault's service is the best in the world, and that no one is allowed to complain and if they do they are lying . What I am saying is that other manufacturers do not necessarily give better service, therefore maybe all dealers just give bad service. Other brands can also break down or become unreliable.

I also did not attack anybody who has had a bad experience. I actually identified a possible cause for some people's negative experience with a certain model range (2003 - 2005 Megane), because they were known for electronics issues. These issues were however resolved in later models, whilst earlier models didn't use the same ECU's etc. Once again, having a certain model range with issues is not unique to Renault and if you own one of those models, chances are you won't trust that brand again - understandably so.

You guys shouldn't be so sensitive and read posts in context

I previously owned 3 Renaults and quite frankly I loved these cars. I had some issues with one of them but that was sorted out by the dealership. If it was not for the fact that I already own a Terios 4x4, the Duster would have been on the top of my shopping list for a smaller and more economical 4x4. I have driven a Qashqai with the same 1.5 diesel engine for a month when we went to visit my son in Ireland. I was very very impressed by that engine and it's economy.
    2006 Hyundai Terracan v6
    2014 Renault Duster 4x4
    2010 Daihatsu Terios 4x4 - sold but still in the family!
    Sherpa Rough Roader caravan
    Bantam Off Road trailer

Those R1000 wipers must be real good quality!! My VW Chico is only on its second set of wipers in 10 years so I am willing to pay R1000 every 5 years if it is necessary. We went to look at the brown Duster and even though we liked it we decided to get a silver one come January. Driving in the sand and dust every day will leave the brown looking dirty all the time and out of experience we know silver doesn't show dirt as easily. We plan on tinting the windows a nice legal dark shade and to have the plastics fitted on the sides and over wheel arches. I have read though that those plastics sometimes come loose and looks bad. Does anyone know anything about it? We also thought of maybe wrapping those parts with black instead of having the plastics fitted but it wouldn't be as effective. Any thoughts, suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Ems View Post
    We plan on tinting the windows a nice legal dark shade and to have the plastics fitted on the sides and over wheel arches. I have read though that those plastics sometimes come loose and looks bad. Does anyone know anything about it? We also thought of maybe wrapping those parts with black instead of having the plastics fitted but it wouldn't be as effective. Any thoughts, suggestions?
    The one I used had those black fenders fitted. Fitting well-spaced chrome head bolts wouldn't look out of place, like they do on the Jeep Commanders.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1784.jpg 
Views:	449 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	244560   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0916.JPG 
Views:	549 
Size:	163.8 KB 
ID:	244561   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1782.jpg 
Views:	514 
Size:	113.3 KB 
ID:	244562  

Thanx! That looks really nice

Here is a rough example of what I mean, on a newer Jeep

Seeing that we are discussing wiper blades now. Last week they charged me R176 for the one and R122 for the other on my Triton as well as R50 labour to fit them. Fortunately under motorplan otherwise it may not of been so funny
    2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 XLT
    2012 Jeep Rubicon (Sold)
    2008 Discovery V8 (Sold)
    1961 Series ll 88"

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfroux View Post
    Hi I still do not get it with the Renault negatives? "Metalmachine' had 5 Renaults and complains about them. Why buy them in the first place!!!!

Its an easy question to answer...

Once you bought the first one, you are stuck with it as the only dealer who is willing to give you more than R10.00 is the Renault dealer when you want to trade it in.
    For not making a complete loss of your hard earned money, you bite the bullet and then get another one hoping it will be better than the one before........and you are back to square one!

Finally cut my losses and got out of the deep dark Renault pit of unreliable, expensive parts/service and useless trade value.

Question answered?
    '13 Toyota Hilux 4x4 XCab

Its an easy question to answer...

Once you bought the first one, you are stuck with it as the only dealer who is willing to give you more than R10.00 is the Renault dealer when you want to trade it in.
    For not making a complete loss of your hard earned money, you bite the bullet and then get another one hoping it will be better than the one before........and you are back to square one!

Finally cut my losses and got out of the deep dark Renault pit of unreliable, expensive parts/service and useless trade value.

Question answered?
    Are you serious or are you joking? If you are even remotely serious then your reasoning power is . . . I will never act the way you say. But that's just me. I guess you can't give us facts which can be checked. Which renault dealership was that? When exactly did it happened and what vehicle were involved. What exactly did break and what did the dealership do about the issues? Vague facts are NO facts! They only add to confusion and make people think you are impartial and/or not honest. For the past few weeks, I have read countless vehicle forums, all over the net. I have even registered on 2 of the bigger ones. Honestly, overall I am rather surprised to see how few people (ALL over the world) complain about the duster. Even so, I have an open mind. Afterall, I don't want to spend my hard earned money on crap. But, at the same time, I don't want to miss out on a fairly good deal just because Piet Pompies says so. That's why I have decided to wait a few months and see what the SA Duster owners have to say.
    Last edited by Gomario; 2013/10/24 at 09:51 AM.
    I love Mozambique!

Quote Originally Posted by Gomario View Post
    Are you serious or are you joking? If you are even remotely serious then your reasoning power is . . . I will never act the way you say. But that's just me. I guess you can't give us facts which can be checked. Which renault dealership was that? When exactly did it happened and what vehicle were involved. What exactly did break and what did the dealership do about the issues? Vague facts are NO facts! They only add to confusion and make people think you are impartial and/or not honest. For the past few weeks, I have read countless vehicle forums, all over the net. I have even registered on 2 of the bigger ones. Honestly, overall I am rather surprised to see how few people (ALL over the world) complain about the duster. Even so, I have an open mind. Afterall, I don't want to spend my hard earned money on crap. But, at the same time, I don't want to miss out on a fairly good deal just because Piet Pompies says so. That's why I have decided to wait a few months and see what the SA Duster owners have to say.
    Not trying to step on anyone's toes here, but my experience with resale values were as follows (all facts):

1997 Megane, bought new for R79k by my dad which I eventually "inherrited" as my varsity car traded in 2004 on a new Megane at R45k.
    2004 Megane, bought new for R178k by myself, traded in on a 2008 Megane at R95k.
    2008 Megane bought new for R189k by myself, traded in on a 2010 Hardbody at R120k.
    Swambo's 2009 Sandero bought new for R110k by herself, traded in on a 2012 Megane at R80k.

So Nissan was prepared to take it at above book and I don't think we ever lost an unacceptable amount of money on any Renault.

I for example got offers of around R330k trade in on a 7 month (19k km) old Fortuner, listed at a new price of R464k when I bought it new

But this is just my own experience and anybody else on here is welcome to share their figures as well, which may or may not be worse.

On ownership cost my own experience has been:

Had the 2006 Scenic I use as daily runabout for seeing clients serviced on 120k km last week Thursday. This is a major service, done by a Renault specialist using Renault parts from the agents. Total cost incl labour, parts and consumables came to R1620.

Brake pads on all models I've owned ranged between R600 and R900 including fitment. Not done at dealers.

I've had 1 big (expensive) highway accident with the 2004 Megane and a smaller accident with the 2008. Both cases parts were available within a week and vehicles returned in less than a month.

When comparing the costs above to similar classed vehicles eg. VW Golf V, VW Touran, Opel Astra, Opel Meriva etc. I don't think the costs would be out of line when comparing apples to apples.

All Renaults come with 5yr/150k km warranty and quite good service/maintenance plans, which is in most cases better than the competition.

Anybody else who want to share their maintenance cost is welcome to do so, even on other comparable brands.

Last edited by rmat1985; 2013/10/24 at 11:34 PM.

Just an interesting observation.

Anybody else notice what happened with all the critics on this thread after some facts were placed on the table and they were challenged to do the same or prove how Renault was so much worse than other brands

Now go and buy those Dusters

imho... you could probably do a lot worse than the Duster w.r.t Softroader.

Check it out:

Not bad at all.
    I would like to see a head to head of a Duster and a Terios.

@XJJ: How did it do at Atlantis?
    Last edited by Nox; 2013/11/04 at 01:39 PM.
    Land Rover Defender 90 2.8i
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD WK
    Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.8 JK
    Jeep Cherokee
    3.7 Sport KK
    Jeep Cherokee 3.7 Extreme Sport KJ
    Suzuki Jimny ジムニ

Renaults generally have a reputation of low trade-in values when shopping around for another brand.
    However, how much of the Duster is Renault? How much is Nissan and how much is Dacia?

Its of one the new era of conglomerates.
    There are many vehicles being produced like this, where many components are sourced from a common parts bin.
    Peugeot, Citroen, Mitsubishi, Mazda, Ford, Mercedes ad nauseam.

To me, I evaluate the dealer; he's gotta keep my heap on the road and supply parts should I bend it or if it breaks down.

In my kontrei is die Renault dealer OK.

Page 9 of 136 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 34 59 109 ... LastLast