Renault Duster - Page 6

Page 6 of 139 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 31 56 106 ... LastLast

Thread: Renault Duster

Whoo hoo! XJ Junkie! I am sure you will have a lot of fun in that Dustbuster! Let us know please! Can't wait to hear the results.

I will keep you updated. It'll have to be the diesel manual to do the job. I just need to sort out some tyres for it if we are going to do this properly

Quote Originally Posted by AR155 View Post
    Hi Kyle,

Was this specific car from a dealer? Which one?

I see it has some extra roofrack on the standard bars. This was not an option in the pamphlet.

Regards

Derik Botha
    Hi Derik it was from the guys a Renault Bryanston.
    Triton c/c 3.2DID 4x4
    alucab canopy, safari snorkel,

Renault would not launch a product without research and testing. All the negative comments are of little help and mostly from the uninformed. The Duster must be judged as intended and is not competing with top 4x4 products. We do not all want to climb a mountain with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfroux View Post
    Renault would not launch a product without research and testing.
    Ok not meant against the Duster
    But Renault would not do what
    Sorry I have seen many Renault cars with major issues that crops up after release here in SA

As for that the tests XJ wants to run can only be good for the Duster
    unless it is really bad off road (and there is no indication of that yet)

Since the primary weakness of softroaders is generally slow stuff where they need low range and Atlantis is sand driving
    in allot of cases softroaders can do reasonably well on sand due to their relatively low weight
    And having XJ drive it means that it is getting a extremely experienced sand driver

So the deck is definately stacked in it's favor so if it does badly then there is serious issues

I'm not saying it should out perform most of the big boys but it should perform reasonably well to hope to keep any credible claim to off road ability
    2007 Subaru Forester 2.5XT
    Forester nutter here so watch out

Please remember that I think I'm funny
    (most people don't agree)
    thus take 90% of what I post with 2 pinches of salt

Quote Originally Posted by Gomario View Post
    Danki Oom Kaspaas vir daar die inligting Weet Oom wat is die beste maneer om die body met sowat 2 duim te lig? Ek ry redelik baia Mozambiek toe en will grag daar die extra hogte he (vir die middle manetjie). Ek weet die motor het 'n sesde, extra "donkie" rat maar die vrag is, sal die CV joints die punch van 'n grooter band hadhaf sonder om te breek? En hoe lyk Omm hierdie Duitser'se Afrikaans?
    Haha, mooi man! Get someone to fabricate some 40-50 mm strut spacers - I can put you in touch with somebody who does it for Subaru Foresters in his spare time, maybe you can twist his arm...

Quote Originally Posted by Oom Kaspaas View Post
    Haha, mooi man! Get someone to fabricate some 40-50 mm strut spacers - I can put you in touch with somebody who does it for Subaru Foresters in his spare time, maybe you can twist his arm...
    Before you fit the lift kit just find out what the maximum lift the CV's can handle without causing premature failure

It depends on the CV's but generally anything more than about 30 degree constant bend would decrease the life on the CV
    here is 30mm lift on the dacia uk forums
    http://www.daciaforum.co.uk/topic/1079-3cm-lift-kit/
    Last edited by Veneficus; 2013/09/30 at 11:37 AM.

It would be nuts to lift the Dusters suspension. There isn't a lot of droop on those wishbones. It would throw out its suspension geometry completely. The Dusters ground clearance is already very good for the type of vehicle. In the absence of low range bigger tyres would kill its very specific purpose stock gearing.

Leave it as is. A set of MUDs sliders & bashplates would be money better spent.

I am sorry to point this out but I don't agree with you regarding the tires. Ok, I have the benefit of have driven a duster for almost a month. I am probably the only one in this forum with that benefit. I know for a fact that taller tires are nothing uncommon on the duster. What I don't know is, how does it affect the durability of the CV joints in the long run. It is one thing to brake a CV in the middle of Germany and another if it brakes in the middle of Mozambique. Actually, taller tires on the duster are better of then on the terios. The duster has a lower first gear. Actually the gearing is shorter due to the 6 speed gear box. The duster I used had slightly larger tires. Not by much though. I will put a inch larger tires from the word go. Want I want to know is how to raise the suspension. Renault recommended to leave it as it is. However, after I insisted, they said that I should not use spacers at all. If it must be I can install stronger rated springs. I should get 1in from the springs and 1in from the tires, for a total of 26cm ground clearance.
    I love Mozambique!

If you buy a Duster & use it on terrain where you need extra clearance, then I'm afraid that will have bought the wrong vehicle in the first place. Independent suspensions weren't designed to be lifted.

The fact that you've driven one doesn't make the idea plausible. Have you driven one with 1 inch bigger tyres by the way? Incidentally, these would only give you half an inch more height.

You are right. The vehicle I drove with, had the standard tires. I see, my Combi I am driving now and the duster, have the exactly same tire size. 215/65R16. I will put the larger tires on my Combi (235/70R16) I will try the tires on the duster and let you know. I might have to pull off in the donkey gear even if unloaded but that's ok. Looking at the springs, I see Renault has different strengt ratings. Honestly, it looks like the 2-in jack-up would be easier and cheaper then I thought. And yes, I am aware that any vehicle above 26cm ground clearance is expected to mix in with the big boys. But I only needed it for the deep Mozambique sand on places. By no means any serious 4x4. I just want the extra peace of mind. In the last week or so, I have found out quite a bit about the duster. What is nice, a spring lift, is lifting up the entire vehicle. On a "big" 4x4 the usual spacer lift, still leaves the diff at the same height. Only bigger tires can achieve a diff lift (unless you don't mind spending a arm or a leg)
    Last edited by Gomario; 2013/10/01 at 07:20 PM.
    I love Mozambique!

When you do a spring lift on an independent suspension vehicle (like the Duster, what a silly name) you reduce the suspension's downward travel by the amount of lift you put in. In cross axle or uneven ground situations the reduced articulation might see you stuck way before improved clearance makes a difference.

Neil is correct, make peace with the height of the car, don't fiddle. If you really need a higher car, rather just buy a higher car – don't take apart what the factory built and make it worse.
    Dewald

I want to know if the duster/terrano will be as hardcore as the old terrano's?

Sent from my Onyx Calypso 9.7 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by terranoyes View Post
    From looks of it yes. It has some Nissan underpinnings. Plus they sell tons of them in Russia, which says a lot

Renaults really aren't as bad as all make them out to be. Usually by those that never owned one before.

I for example have never had any real problems with any of my Renaults I've owned. Currently Swambo drives our 5th Renault and we recently acquired a used Scenic (making it a 6th Renault for me) for the business as an economical runabout vs the bakkies and workhorses.

My first Toyota which happened to be a brand new 2013 Fortuner has given me endless issues and has been in the workshop for warranty repairs 7 times since I bought it NEW in Feb. The extremely poor service and attitude offered by Toyota regarding their poor product has forced me to now move on with my life and trade in the unreliable piece of junk with less than 20k km on the clock. Also being offered R50k below trade book value is proof that there is a misconception out there that Fortuners apparently keep their values... I only lost R60k on my Triton after 3 years and 100k km.

When I did my research before buying the Tuna, many people had opinions onToyota's reliability etc, but that's exactly just what it is, opinions. So my opinion would be not to worry too much about what some opinions on this thread might be, seeing that they are all still just opinions

Anyhow, enough about my frustrations, if all goes well I'll feel much happier tomorrow evening after dropping off my Tuna at the Ford dealership and bringing my new Ranger home

Sent from my GT-P5100 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by rmat1985; 2013/10/02 at 11:43 PM.
    Currently own: 2018 Ford Ranger 3.2 TDCI A/T 4x4 Double Cab XLT

Then followed a 2009 Toyota Prado 4.0V6 (Nice car), after which a 2008 Pajero 3.8 V6 SWB followed (which I will forever miss)
    Fourth 4x4: 2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 TDCI 4x4 Manual double cab
    Third 4x4: 2013 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D4D 4x4 Manual
    Second 4x4: 2010 Mitsubishi Triton 3.2 Manual 4x4 Double Cab
    First 4x4: 2010 Nissan NP300 Hardbody 2.4 4x4 D/C

Quote Originally Posted by terranoyes View Post

Sent from my Onyx Calypso 9.7 using Tapatalk 2
    If my memory serves me correctly, the terrano has a ladder chassis with solid rear diff and Independant front suspension, sharing many of its parts with the Nissan 1ton Bakkie, I would imagine the Duster shares underpinnings more closely related to the Nissan Qashqai?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Daihatshu Terios LWB 4x4
    Branch and 50mm free flow
    45mm lift
    Winchbar

KIA Sportage.....Retiredstripped for spares

Fiat Uno platcar

My bad!! Didn't see that Nissan has launched a new terrano!!! Looks very neat. When I speak of the ladder chassis on the terrano I am referring to the old one.🙈

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Daihatshu Terios LWB 4x4
    Branch and 50mm free flow
    45mm lift
    Winchbar

KIA Sportage.....Retiredstripped for spares

Fiat Uno platcar

Quote Originally Posted by rmat1985 View Post
    Renaults really aren't as bad as all make them out to be. Usually by those that never owned one before.

I for example have never had any real problems with any of my Renaults I've owned. Currently Swambo drives our 5th Renault and we recently acquired a used Scenic (making it a 6th Renault for me) for the business as an economical runabout vs the bakkies and workhorses.

My first Toyota which happened to be a brand new 2013 Fortuner has given me endless issues and has been in the workshop for warranty repairs 7 times since I bought it NEW in Feb. The extremely poor service and attitude offered by Toyota regarding their poor product has forced me to now move on with my life and trade in the unreliable piece of junk with less than 20k km on the clock. Also being offered R50k below trade book value is proof that there is a misconception out there that Fortuners apparently keep their values... I only lost R60k on my Triton after 3 years and 100k km.

When I did my research before buying the Tuna, many people had opinions onToyota's reliability etc, but that's exactly just what it is, opinions. So my opinion would be not to worry too much about what some opinions on this thread might be, seeing that they are all still just opinions

Anyhow, enough about my frustrations, if all goes well I'll feel much happier tomorrow evening after dropping off my Tuna at the Ford dealership and bringing my new Ranger home

Sent from my GT-P5100 using Tapatalk 2

+1 My only gripes as an ex Renault owner was the poor resale value, and the lack of service centres in my area.

Quote Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post
    new Renault duster ?

One of the re branded Dacia's with Dacia scratched out and Renault written in crayon

You make it sound as if this is unique to Renault. Allmost all the major manufacturers (Toyota, VW, GM etc.) have done this, rebranding some of their smaller affiliate manufacturer models, for a larger world market.

Quote Originally Posted by henros View Post
    You make it sound as if this is unique to Renault. Allmost all the major manufacturers (Toyota, VW, GM etc.) have done this, rebranding some of their smaller affiliate manufacturer models, for a larger world market.
    No no not saying it is bad thing at all
    if you ask those companies however they admit that it is the same car

I talked to an Renault dealer about the Sandero and how top gear mentioned the Dacia Sandero and he was quite upset saying that the Sandero is developed and built by Renault only and that it is their own car.

so either he was completely un informed or he was trying to hide the fact
    either one does not make for good sales pitch in my opinion

Page 6 of 139 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 31 56 106 ... LastLast