Renault Duster - Page 4

Page 4 of 137 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 29 54 104 ... LastLast

Thread: Renault Duster

Exact same as the Mitsu Outlander then.........still just an average softroader though........no real 4x4 so no use of comparing it to the likes of the Jimny, D90, etc.......

For over-landing I would still opt for a more robust vehicle that can go places and not just being dirt-road-capable.........

George
    2012 Suzuki Jimny.....(Freda's)
    1995 Hilux SFA

Quote Originally Posted by Ems View Post
    Gomario, I agree. That engin is fantastic. Our minds are made up, Duster it will be. I checked out the new "face-lifted" Duster and there's not a lot of changes, no engine changes so I'll be happy with the one available to us next year. One concern, when we went for a test drive we obviously checked this car out properly. We found the exhaust to be really exposed at the bottom of the car and actually hanging quite low. It was very visible. On all video footage, tv ads and even broshures we do not see the exhaust at all. The one we saw was a 4x4 like we want and we are worried about the exhaust being an obstacle. I see many are negative about the 4x4 capabilities. Living out in the bush with only a chico I can tell you that the driver makes the car. We have been places with that chico that other people would just gape at. Bring on the Duster!
    I don't know about that issue. I am still learning a lot and please let me know if you find out more info about that. Early this year I almost bought the Terios but after I went home (Germany) and used my brothers (actually his wife's) Duster (in fairly deep snow in the Alps) I have decided to get me one. I too don't see much difference between the 2013 and 2014 model. OK, the face-lift is there but the engine and interior space will be the same. And this is what I am after. Obviously, some people in here post just for the sake of posting (without having a clue never-mind experience with the vehicle) but there are a few serious posters and this ones I will listen to.
    People, as much as I like the car I don't want to be the first to drive it here in South Africa If you own a Duster pleeeeease let me/us know what issues you encounter. I have read quite a bit on the international forums but most are European and obviously the driving conditions won't be the same. I am very meticulous when it comes in choosing a car. I do my "home work". I know what I want and how much cash I have. I just want to learn what is available.
    I love Mozambique!

Quote Originally Posted by XJ Junkie View Post
    I just phoned Renault because its drive train has got me intrigued. The poor salesman, but he did his best . He said its the same system as used in the Nissan Quashqai, but I think he means it has the same 1.5 diesel engine, because the Quashqai is 2wd with a CVT box.

As pointed out it does indeed appear to have a centre lock, which in fairness, will set it apart from other softies.

Lot of incorrect information on this thread. The Duster shares the Nissan 4wd system as used in Xtrail and Quasqai, as well as the Nissan/Renault K9K engine as used in many Renault-Nissan alliance vehicles such as the Quasqai. These two things already make it worth buying. The Nissan 4wd system basically functions as either 2wd (front wheels), auto (locks multiplate centre clutch when front wheels spin) or lock ("centre diff" locked). This system has been proven since the previous shape Xtrail.

Danki Oom Kaspaas vir daar die inligting Weet Oom wat is die beste maneer om die body met sowat 2 duim te lig? Ek ry redelik baia Mozambiek toe en will grag daar die extra hogte he (vir die middle manetjie). Ek weet die motor het 'n sesde, extra "donkie" rat maar die vrag is, sal die CV joints die punch van 'n grooter band hadhaf sonder om te breek? En hoe lyk Omm hierdie Duitser'se Afrikaans?
    I love Mozambique!

Wow - a lot of opinions so far. I said never a Renault again - after I had a RX4 - but I must say that the combination interest me - 1.5 Diesel, 5/150km warranty, 4wd system. I will follow this discussion closely - so all relevant info will be great!

Quote Originally Posted by XJ Junkie View Post
    Terio's also doesn't have LR, or 50/50 spilt
    Terios (2004 +?) 4x4 has 50/50 split ala center difflock.

Agreed no low range although AT versions do compensate to some degree.

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 4
    '10 Terios 4x4 Offroad

Default Renault Duster

Quote Originally Posted by STEELE View Post
    Interesting all the negative comments. People tend to forget the alliance between Renault and Nissan. Had Nissan released the terrano here (same car) nobody would have said anything. I am on my third Renault and have never had any problems besides my puppy chewing the abs wiring. We are very happy with Swambo's koleos, and by the way, it has a Nissan xtrail engine, chassis, and drivetrain.....
    The Renault/Nissan/Dacia group has an arrangement that the company launching a product has it's pricing.
    If other companies in the group launch a copy it hasto cost more.
    They can add items to justify the higher price.
    Nissan will be launching their version of the Duster.
    It will cost more,
    Basically a Duster with a Pathfinder nose tacked on...

I'm contacting Renault about the possibility of entering a Duster in the forthcoming 4WDC Toyota Funday at Atlantis. If its worth its oats then it will be sure to give some more established machinery a good run for their money. I'm keen to see how well it will do. I'll even drive it for them........I have helmets :-)

Its not that I'm ignoring the negative comments, I am grateful for people like you telling me what could go wrong. I just haven't seen a comment that scared me so much that I should change my mind. I think this car might be worth a try, and while the rest of SA weeps everytime they fill up, I'll be smiling @ 19l/km in a 4x4! The real dream however is a VW Amarok 4x4 extended cab, but we know it doesn't exist yet...until then, I think I'll have a brown Duster, its just so pretty! =D

Quote Originally Posted by Ems View Post
    .until then, I think I'll have a brown Duster, its just so pretty! =D

Hope it works out
    I'm sure you will enjoy it more than a chico
    Last edited by Veneficus; 2013/09/26 at 06:57 AM.
    2007 Subaru Forester 2.5XT
    Forester nutter here so watch out

Please remember that I think I'm funny
    (most people don't agree)
    thus take 90% of what I post with 2 pinches of salt

Very funny Veneficus! ...... Talking about that good consumption, something doesn't make a whole lot of sense here maybe someone can help. This is all over the internet and on every broshure. The 4x2 1.5dCi says: peak torque rating (rpm) 2,250 and extra urban cycle in consumption says 5.5l/100km. The 4x4 1.5dCi says: peak torque rating (rpm) 1,750 and extra urban cycle in consumption 5.3l/100km (I mistakenly said 19 above when I meant 19km/l). Anyhow, how can a 4x4 be lighter on fuel and is this not the exact same engine? Why the difference in peak torque? Anyone know anything about this?

probably different tune

They probably assumed (and correctly so) that people who buy the 4x2 would be spending less time off road than the guys buying the 4x4 model
    the lower torque curve on the 4x4 would make it allot better off road but slower on the road since it probably peak reasonably quickly

I suspect the 4x4 models turbo spools up earlier

realistically your going to appreciate that low down torque when you need to do something slowly and steadily which is always a softroader's weakness
    Last edited by Veneficus; 2013/09/26 at 07:16 AM.

just read a little bit more and seems like the first gear on the 4x4 model is also quite low compared to most
    it does 5.7KMH at 1000RPM so if you couple that with the lower torque peak then your duster should be reasonable at crawling (at least for a softroader)

Quote Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post
    probably different tune

They probably assumed (and correctly so) that people who buy the 4x2 would be spending less time off road than the guys buying the 4x4 model
    the lower torque curve on the 4x4 would make it allot better off road but slower on the road since it probably peak reasonably quickly

I suspect the 4x4 models turbo spools up earlier

realistically your going to appreciate that low down torque when you need to do something slowly and steadily which is always a softroader's weakness
    I suspect the same, that it could also be tuned more for 4x4ing. I saw the 4x4 duster also has different gear ratio (obviously because it lacks low range)
    The Duster does look very appealing, but then the new Ford Eco Sport (also new in SA) looks as appealing and IMO is probably it's closest competitor

Except for the fuel economy, you can get a LWB Pajero Gen3 or 4 for under R240k. Much better option for any offroad or over landing work. But maybe I am biased

Sent from my Fruit Phone number 5
    2014 Pajero 3.2DiD SWB

You are correct Kurt but Pajero's is too Irish

it can't drive past a bar(petrol station) without stopping for a drink (as stated by you )
    Last edited by Veneficus; 2013/09/26 at 08:01 AM.

Ha ha ha, that's good but if you drive the Diesel correctly on the open road then you can get away with 10L/100km, still nowhere near the claimed 5.5 of the DustBuster

Sent from my Fruit Phone number 5
    2014 Pajero 3.2DiD SWB

Quote Originally Posted by tintin_85 View Post
    I suspect the same, that it could also be tuned more for 4x4ing. I saw the 4x4 duster also has different gear ratio (obviously because it lacks low range)
    The Duster does look very appealing, but then the new Ford Eco Sport (also new in SA) looks as appealing and IMO is probably it's closest competitor
    Are you sure the Ford Eco Sport is a 4x4? If yes, I also think it will be a better option.
    Now, here is my take on the duster's consumption. Keep in mind though, I have driven the thing in snow and cold and wet weather, which means the conditions were very different than one can expect to have in South Africa. Anyway, the 2x4 gave a average of 17km a litre. The 4x4 auto averaged 16.25km a litre and the 4x4 centre diff locked, only averaged just over 13km per litre. The 4x4 diff locked was used seldom though and the average might not be as accurate as the first two. The road was fairly open but snow covered at times (and ice in places). The speed varied wildly but averaged about 90km/h. At times it was below 50 and at other times closer to 120. I know it is difficult to take the figures as written in stone but you get a idea. In tricky places I liked the "donkey" gear a lot. The 2nd gear is basically the 1st under normal circumstances. And the 6th is actually the 5th. But don't worry, you will quickly get used to it
    Last edited by Gomario; 2013/09/26 at 09:21 AM.
    I love Mozambique!

The latest CAR has a comparison test between the two, the Duster wins it.
    Basically the Duster is better for the rougher stuff and the Ford is better on road.
    FJC - Just Cruising

Not 100% sure if the Eco Sport has 4x4, having a look on their website now I see Ford claims a ground clearance of 200mm and a wading depth of 550mm for the Eco Sport

Page 4 of 137 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 29 54 104 ... LastLast