Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by UtataNtaka View Post
    @hunter26: Sorry, no Makro in Slummies. There is an ODW in Beacon Bay. You can also try the caravan shops. There use to be a Campworld in Gonubie but I think they've closed down.

Thanks,ODW most times are rip off.I will check their prices and look around.Thanks

Craig
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

I do not think Bakgatla allows tents alone on caravan sites. They had a gate seperating the tent and caravan sites when I was these last.

I have a solid ground sheet as well as one form shade net that I made myself. I paid R45.00 for 15m ofcut, folded it in 3 and stiched together. It works like a charm.

On the point of caravan vs tent sites, it depends on the establishment. Some have no distinction whist others do. I once have been banished in my tent to the outskirts of the place with very little shade. Was the first and last time I camped there.

Garrie
    Defender 110 TD5 CSW 18P loving every moment driving it !!!!!
    Suzuki Jimny with custom made rack and drawers view here - Sold
    Stay away from negative people. They have a problem for every solution...

Quote Originally Posted by Morne Snyman View Post
    I do not think Bakgatla allows tents alone on caravan sites. They had a gate seperating the tent and caravan sites when I was these last.
    Morne they do have a gate but you get different color discs depending what you have paid for. I have seen people tenting on the caravan sites and they never had a problem provided you pay for a caravan site.
    Jeep, there is only one.

If you had asked this question on a caravan forum, I wonder if they would have said "It's like those squatters next to Sandton". Myself, I camp with tent and gazebo with 2 side panels. My money has the same value as theirs!!!
    '02 Toyota Prado 3.0 td VX, SAC intercooler, Kumho KL78 A/T's. DIY roofrack and rack system.
    "Good judgement come from experience, experience come from bad judgement"

Quote Originally Posted by kevjones View Post
    Morne they do have a gate but you get different color discs depending what you have paid for. I have seen people tenting on the caravan sites and they never had a problem provided you pay for a caravan site.
    Thanks Kev. I was not aware of this.

The Alnet groundsheet at ODW are the correct one,the are disigned to still let grass grow(or something like that). Their holes ar bigger for some grass to stick through.
    2015 Ford Ranger 2.2 XL DC
    2012 Suzuki Jimny(Sold)
    2006 Corsa UTE 1.8 club(still have)

All the sites I have been to, the tent and caravan stands are the same place. I have not yet seen a separated tent site.

The short answer is however what the site operators say.

What is nice of caravan stands are that you are assigned a stand, your own stand, with a boundary. It is your choice how to use the space and you can tell your neighbour to move is guy ropes from your stand (you paid for) if you are such inclined.

The sites I have been to without demarcated stands, are usually so big, it does not matter.
    -----------------------------
    Isuzu Frontier 280LX 4x4 2001

I'm sure we will be getting very different answers had this been posted in a caravanning forum! Thank you for the info about the different coloured discs at Bakgatla. I've camped there before, on the tent sites, and yes, you do rub shoulders with your neighbours all weekend long.

I know some places separate the two "camping styles" for three reasons -

1) Tent sites can be smaller (therefore cheaper or they can fit in more)
    2) Usually (not my opinion) people with only tents tend to be more the party animals whereas caravan people are usually more "family" orientated.
    3) Tents damage the grass so they'll contain that in a dedicated section to keep the "caravan" section nice and green.

I can't see that there'll be an issue if you book a caravan site and only use a tent, but perhaps just check in with them when booking.
    Last edited by George; 2013/09/13 at 03:13 PM.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    I know some places separate the two "camping styles" for three reasons -

1) Tent sites can be smaller (therefore cheaper or they can fit in more)
    2) Usually (not my opinion) people with only tents tend to be more the party animals whereas caravan people are usually more "family" orientated.
    3) Tents damage the grass so they'll contain that in a dedicated section to keep the "caravan" section nice and green.

I can't see that there'll be an issue if you book a caravan site and only use a tent, but perhaps just check in with them when booking.
    A good example of this layout is the camp in Addo
    Ford Ranger 3.2 XLT 4x4 Auto

Quote Originally Posted by werners View Post
    if you had asked this question on a caravan forum, i wonder if they would have said "it's like those squatters next to sandton". Myself, i camp with tent and gazebo with 2 side panels. My money has the same value as theirs!!!;d;d;d
    +100 %
    Ford Ranger 3.2 XLT 4x4 Auto

Quote Originally Posted by werners View Post
    if you had asked this question on a caravan forum, i wonder if they would have said "it's like those squatters next to sandton". Myself, i camp with tent and gazebo with 2 side panels. My money has the same value as theirs!!!;d;d;d

+1000
    Jacque

4.2d GL

Hoekom skadunet as 'n grondseil nie so lekker werk nie, is die feit dat jy maklik gly op hom. Dit is glad. In teendeel met die grondseile wat jy koop, hul is growwer en nie so glad nie.

Maar, as jy grondseil het van skadunet, moenie worry nie, gebruik hom!

Die grondseile keer beslis vir daai klippies en sand.
    Elize
    en ry saam met SarelF in
    4x4 Isuzu NPS 300 met kamper
    Kyk gerus by www.blinkgatproducts.com
    Vir enige aluminium produkte,canopy's, campers kontak gerus
    Sarel 0828209413

Nee wat karavan , boswa , tent pla my nie waar hy staan, kamp moet daar gekamp word

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by hunter26 View Post
    Thanks all,will check soon,not sure if EL has a Macro but I will be in CT on the 19 Sept,are there a few Macro's close to Table view/Parklands area.

Craig
    There's a huge Makro just down the road from Table View in Montague Gardens. Don't know if they have the new rubberised type of ground net yet though.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    There is only one...

Quote Originally Posted by stadleroux View Post
    There's a huge Makro just down the road from Table View in Montague Gardens. Don't know if they have the new rubberised type of ground net yet though.
    Thanks Stadleroux,just found out my SIL lives in Parklands,so I will use your info,thanks much appreciated.

Craig
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

Default Caravans vs Tents

Quote Originally Posted by UtataNtaka View Post
    Fellow forum members please give me your opinions whether it is acceptable to book, pay for and use a caravan site even if you use only tents?

Many resorts have dedicated caravan sites with electricity and dedicated tent sites with or without electricity. The caravan sites are in most case more spacious, more level and in better locations.

I am planning to go to Bakgatla in the Pilanesberg for a weekend and my intent is to book an electrified caravan site to give me more options of where to pitch my tent.

Is this acceptable in the camping fraternity? Have any of you done this before and what is the reaction of fellow campers?

I believe that there should be no difference as Caravans also have awnings and add a rooms with ground sheets that affect the grass anyway.
    I am a tent camper with a trailer and never had a problem at any of the camp sites .

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by hunter26 View Post
    Thanks Stadleroux,just found out my SIL lives in Parklands,so I will use your info,thanks much appreciated.

Craig
    You're welcome!

Way, way back in the '80s when I was about to start camping I phoned the Dennebos Resort in Ceres to book a site for a long weekend and when the lady heard I was only bringing a small three-man tent she wouldn't take my booking at first - said they only allowed caravans with tents, no tents only. I had to convince her that I wasn't a biker who was going to raise hell in the resort...

I haven't been back there, so I don't know if that policy is still in effect, but a year or so ago, when I wanted to stay at the ATKV Goudini Spa for a night or two they had exactly the same attitude, just more so, as they wouldn't allow me in, even after pleading and arguing with them. Apparently they only allow members to camp in tents only, and non-members only by special permission on weekdays, but definitely not during weekends.

IMO it's a shockingly archaic attitude to have towards tent campers, as there are many people nowadays who prefer to camp in tents because of other reasons than mere economics.
    There is only one...

Quote Originally Posted by stadleroux View Post
    ...... people nowadays who prefer to camp in tents because of other reasons than mere economics.
    true, I think my camping equipment cost me more than an small second hand caravan.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast