Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Camping with tents only on caravan sites - acceptable or not?

Fellow forum members please give me your opinions whether it is acceptable to book, pay for and use a caravan site even if you use only tents?

Many resorts have dedicated caravan sites with electricity and dedicated tent sites with or without electricity. The caravan sites are in most case more spacious, more level and in better locations.

I am planning to go to Bakgatla in the Pilanesberg for a weekend and my intent is to book an electrified caravan site to give me more options of where to pitch my tent.

Is this acceptable in the camping fraternity? Have any of you done this before and what is the reaction of fellow campers?

Seriously, if you are paying for a caravan site, then I don't see any problems, unless the resort prohibits it. Some resorts don't like the potential lawn / grass damage.
    ZS6VL

No problem. I have camped at many caravan sites.

Most parks will require a netted ground sheet. And if you camp for longer than a weekend, they will ask you to move the tent every 4 days or so to protect the grass.

Last time I went to Bakgatla I explained that I wanted a caravan site but that I wanted to pitch my TTT.

They didn't have a problem with it but asked me if it's an "off the ground" tent.

Just make sure with management whether this is actually allowed.

Don't worry Bakgatla has very little grass at this time of the year on the caravan sites. When we tented the 1000 times at Bakgatla we alawys pitched the tent near the second ablutions on the left hand side as you go through the first boom. We always paid for an electric site and then used a multiplug at the bathroom (you can't do this when the campsite is full)

If you booked a caravan site then they will not hassle you for a weekend just take a groundsheet.
    Jeep, there is only one.

I never had any problem anywhere. A fully rigged trailer tent with awnings or a dome with extension is bigger than some caravans. Some tent stands are way too small.

I also always use a netted groundsheet under any ground tent, whether it's the dome or the TTT. It protects the PVC floor as well. After some other forum debate we tested the theory, one tent without and one with netted sheet for a week. The grass under the netted sheet was not perfect, but in much better condition than the patch without.
    Ford Ranger 3.2 XLT 4x4 Auto

If you pay for a site there is no problem

What I gather from the feedback so far is that the resorts care for the grass on the caravan stands and that is why they don't like ground tents on those stands. Like @kevjones said: there aint much grass in Bakgatla any time of the year.

The days of tent campers not having electricity needs are gone. With the modern fridges and fancy lighting electricity is fast becoming the standard in tented camping. Resorts who still dicriminate against tents should catch a wake up and rethink their market and business stategy if they want to stay in business.

I am all in favour of requiring a net groundsheet to protect the grass but tent campers should have the same privileges as caravan campers. My tent setup takes 32m under canvas and then some for the guy ropes. I have no intenion to knit guy ropes with my neighbour so the stands need to be as big as a caravan stand or even bigger.

Many years ago at De Wet's in Margate we used to camp with the next door caravan's tent ropes crossing yours and his pegs next to your groundsheet. De Wets is now a block of apartments, I will never camp like that ever again.
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by hbannink View Post
    Many years ago at De Wet's in Margate we used to camp with the next door caravan's tent ropes crossing yours and his pegs next to your groundsheet. De Wets is now a block of apartments, I will never camp like that ever again.
    Sounds like the average caravan campsite over the December holidays I share you views, I will rather go inland and sit in 40 degrees heat next to a river or nothing at all, with no one around to bother me
    camelman
    '04 Discovery II Td5 GS (using 2SO)
    '95 Discovery I V8i Auto (Now sadly sold, with fond memories)
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is mystery, today is a gift, that's why its called "present".

Sorry to hi-jack but on subject.The ground sheet u talk of,is it a special type or can one buy 40% shade cloth and use this to save costs.Sorry for the ignorance but we have only done weekend camps with tent and so I don't want to get skeef looks when we attend the GTG next year.

Craig
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

I'll admit to the odd curse when driving through a camp looking for a site, then seeing a gap only to find a tiny 2 man tent perched in the middle of a beautiful spot.

But he paid his money and got there before me so good for him.
    4x4 less.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter26 View Post
    Sorry to hi-jack but on subject.The ground sheet u talk of,is it a special type or can one buy 40% shade cloth and use this to save costs.Sorry for the ignorance but we have only done weekend camps with tent and so I don't want to get skeef looks when we attend the GTG next year.

Craig
    Craig check what they have at ODW or a caravan shop they are not expensive basically they are just a thicker shade cloth. I have the new ones which are supposed to be more grass friendly. They feel like rubber are much lighter and are thinner. You dont actually need to peg them down.

they are generally not expensive I think I paid about 900 bucks for the very very big one. The small one (you only need it under your tent really) is about 300 bucks.

http://www.outdoorwarehouse.co.za/?s...roducts.search
    Jeep, there is only one.

IF you dont use a Caravan or trailer

Use a tent and enjoy
    Fortuner D4D
    Hilux 2.7 4x4 Raider.
    Sp Tourer

Quote Originally Posted by hunter26 View Post

Craig
    R300 for a 3x4m one at Makro, don't know the prices of shade cloth and if it would be cheaper. Only about R50 more for 5x3m (I think). Go check out how they compare to shade cloth, I'm no expert.

Even if you should use a good ground net todays tents with the built in pvc type groundsheets on top of it will harm the grass.
    To answer the question, no problem from this fellow camper.
    If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you'll most certainly be right. SJ

Thanks all,will check soon,not sure if EL has a Macro but I will be in CT on the 19 Sept,are there a few Macro's close to Table view/Parklands area.

Craig
    215/80/R15c tyres
    GPS,Bluetooth
    snorkel soon
    Craig

You will not regret a groundsheet and doormat outside the door of your tent. Nothing worse than little stones carried into the tent when you wake up barefoot.
    Jeep, there is only one.

@hunter26: Sorry, no Makro in Slummies. There is an ODW in Beacon Bay. You can also try the caravan shops. There use to be a Campworld in Gonubie but I think they've closed down.

Quote Originally Posted by kevjones View Post
    You will not regret a groundsheet and doormat outside the door of your tent. Nothing worse than little stones carried into the tent when you wake up barefoot.

True,we use our car mats for a doormat.Hate sand in bed.

Craig
    215/80/R15c tyres
    GPS,Bluetooth
    snorkel soon
    Craig

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast