Fortuner 3.0 D-4d 4x4 Automatic??

Question Fortuner 3.0 D-4d 4x4 Automatic??

I am a new kid on the Forum block. I decided to become a member after I read Rainer's thread "Fortuner - some questions" and realised that one can share and obtain valuable information on the forum.

I am in the process of selling my Freelander in order to buy a "real" 4x4. Although the previous generation Freelander has a very bad reputation, I have had very good service from mine.

After some research and taking all the candidates for a test drive I decided that the Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4 is the one for me. However I am disappointed that the vehicle is not available with automatic transmission, speed control and climate control air-conditioning. I see that these features are available on models being built in Thailand. The automatic transmission and speed control are also available on the locally manufactured 4.0 V6.

Surely there must be a demand for these features on the 3.0 diesel model in South Africa. Somebody on the thread "Fortuner - some questions" mentioned that there is a possibility that Toyota SA is going to manufacture an automatic 3.0 D-4D soon. Does anybody know whether there is such a possibility?

What do the experienced 4x4 enthusiasts think about an automatic transmission vehicle for off-roading? Should I rather stick with the manual?

Regards

HenryC

I know for a fact that in the 3rd quater of this year the Hilux D4d will recieve a auto so I take it the fortuner will too.
    '18 Hilux 2.8 Auto 4wd
    '19 Fortuner 2.8 Auto 4wd

Default auto fortuner

It Is Definitly Coming The Third Quater My Brother Already Orderd One.that Is The Fortuner 30l D

Quote Originally Posted by MORNE CLAASSEN View Post
    It Is Definitly Coming The Third Quater My Brother Already Orderd One.that Is The Fortuner 30l D
    Typical Toyota strategy. Will more than likely soon come out standard with larger tanks, decent tyres and different colour seat options as well.
    Nearly forgot - decent padding in wheel arches.

Toyota
    Fortuner 3 D-4D 4X4

Never trust your tongue when you are bitter.

Hi Henry!

Welcome here!

Quote Originally Posted by HenryC View Post
    I am in the process of selling my Freelander in order to buy a "real" 4x4. Although the previous generation Freelander has a very bad reputation, I have had very good service from mine.

After some research and taking all the candidates for a test drive I decided that the Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4 is the one for me. However I am disappointed that the vehicle is not available with automatic transmission, speed control and climate control air-conditioning.

What do the experienced 4x4 enthusiasts think about an automatic transmission vehicle for off-roading? Should I rather stick with the manual?

Regards

HenryC

Fantastic stuff - you will enjoy the Fortuner!

I think it would be great to get the D4D 4x4 in auto here. I know of a few people that would rush over to their Toy dealer to place an order if they would just release such a model.
    I know for a fact that Durban is already building the Hilux D4D 4x4 auto for export markets.

The speed control is likely to be added with the auto version. If you go for a manual, your dealer can install the Cruise control for you. I've had it installed as an extra on my Hilux Vigo 2.7VVTi and it worked extremely well. These versions are working electronically with the vehicles ECU and are the same as the factory installed ones.

Jip - pity that we don't get the Climate Control. I'm quite used to it on a couple of VW's that I've had in the past, but was actually enjoying the manual climate control on the Hilux. Heat when you want it, etc.

I love an auto offroad. The gearbox slip helps you a lot and you can apply the power much more smoothely. No clutch burning, wheel spinning that's so easy to do on manuals and auto make for much easier offroad driving.

The one downside to an auto offroad is your down hill descent engine braking. You don't have the nice engine compression power coming through the auto box. You'll need to add some sponge braking to keep the speed down.

Now let's hope ToySA get those auto's to our showrooms!!

Cheers,
    Jacques
    2012 Jeep Wrangler 3.6 Unlimited Sahara
    2017 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x2 auto

2015 Sprite Tourer SW

Quote Originally Posted by MORNE CLAASSEN View Post
    Hi Morne,

Where did you get the info? I see the Hilux/Fortuner facelift was mentioned in the latest CAR mag and Star Motoring.
    Contacted a few dealerships but they knew nothing about it Yeah right...
    So who do you believe
    2016 Ford Ranger 2.2 TDCI XL 4x4 D/C

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques Rousseau View Post
    Hi Henry!

Welcome here!

Fantastic stuff - you will enjoy the Fortuner!

I think it would be great to get the D4D 4x4 in auto here. I know of a few people that would rush over to their Toy dealer to place an order if they would just release such a model.
    I know for a fact that Durban is already building the Hilux D4D 4x4 auto for export markets.

The speed control is likely to be added with the auto version. If you go for a manual, your dealer can install the Cruise control for you. I've had it installed as an extra on my Hilux Vigo 2.7VVTi and it worked extremely well. These versions are working electronically with the vehicles ECU and are the same as the factory installed ones.

Jip - pity that we don't get the Climate Control. I'm quite used to it on a couple of VW's that I've had in the past, but was actually enjoying the manual climate control on the Hilux. Heat when you want it, etc.

I love an auto offroad. The gearbox slip helps you a lot and you can apply the power much more smoothely. No clutch burning, wheel spinning that's so easy to do on manuals and auto make for much easier offroad driving.

The one downside to an auto offroad is your down hill descent engine braking. You don't have the nice engine compression power coming through the auto box. You'll need to add some sponge braking to keep the speed down.

Now let's hope ToySA get those auto's to our showrooms!!

Cheers,
    Jacques
    Hi Jacques,

Thanks, I feel welcome already with all the replies confirming my suspicion that the Fortuner 3.0 D-4D automatic might be released in SA.

Thanks also for the info about the speed control. I am using the speed control on my Freelander whenever I can and it is an absolute pleasure to use with the automatic transmission.

Always though climate control is a status symbol which one has to have to keep up with the Joneses!!

Once again thanks for sharing your experience with an auto offroad with us. The Freelander auto also behaves quite well on sand.

Regards

HenryC

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Hi Morne,

Where did you get the info? I see the Hilux/Fortuner facelift was mentioned in the latest CAR mag and Star Motoring.
    Contacted a few dealerships but they knew nothing about it Yeah right...
    So who do you believe
    Hi Rich,

I also noticed that they mention the Hilux/Fortuner facelift in the Feb 2008 CAR mag that can be expected in the third quarter this year.

I asked the salesman at the dealership who gave me a quote on the manual Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4 about the possibility of an automatic version being released soon. Of cause, in the fear of losing a deal, he didn't know anything about such a possibility!

However, with the info I got from you guys on this thread, I am prepared to wait for this facelift before I place my order and maybe an auto 3.0 4x4 is part of the facelift!!

Regards

HenryC

When you give the D4-d auto some serious off road, and on road work outs, you will realise that the only sensible option is the auto.

They are also more economical than the manuals.

rjb Guest

Quote Originally Posted by uk_vette View Post
    When you give the D4-d auto some serious off road, and on road work outs, you will realise that the only sensible option is the auto.

They are also more economical than the manuals.
    Auto's work great off road, especially in sand, where it is easier to keep from getting stuck. In mud/clay, I'd prefer a manual. On the economy side, I'd like to see anyone get those numbers in real life. The stats published are gathered in a lab using a dyno and not even on a real road, let alone off road. Even still, based on the numbers, it would equate to an extra 80litres for someone doing 20,000km/year. Guess what I'm trying to say is don't base your decision on consumption figures (do Suzuki still make 410 jeeps?)
    Last edited by rjb; 2008/04/11 at 09:08 AM. Reason: typos

rjb Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rainer View Post
    Typical Toyota strategy. Will more than likely soon come out standard with larger tanks, decent tyres and different colour seat options as well.
    Nearly forgot - decent padding in wheel arches.

No, no, & no to all of the above - I have the model you are talking about and no difference here on any of the 3 items

OT: Where is Panaga?
    Everything is a hammer.
    Unless it is a screw driver.

Then it it a chisel.

rjb Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hilux2Fortuner View Post
    OT: Where is Panaga?
    In Brunei (island of Borneo in SE Asia)

Hi rjb,

I take it that your Fortuner was imported from Thailand? As far as I know the shape you get there is the same as what we get here in South Africa, although you also get the automatic 3.0 D-4D 4x4. What do you hear about the possibility of an upgrade or major face-lift in future models?
    Henry Claasen

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.

Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4l auto 3-dr 2010

rjb Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HenryC View Post
    Hi rjb,

I take it that your Fortuner was imported from Thailand? As far as I know the shape you get there is the same as what we get here in South Africa, although you also get the automatic 3.0 D-4D 4x4. What do you hear about the possibility of an upgrade or major face-lift in future models?
    Yup, its straight from Thailand. No word out this way on any facelift, but that is not surprising. You don't get a choice of what you want, they only import a standard spec here. No choices on options or extras. The stealer here is pretty damn useless, to say the least