Advise needed

Thread: Advise needed

Default Advise needed

I am looking at doing a trip up to Lake Malawi in 2014. Fortunately I am not restricted by school holidays etc and would like to know what the best time of the year is for such an adventure, based on weather and not too busy. It will be a camping trip, mixed in with the odd lodge stay over
    2011 JK Wrangler Rubicon 3.8

By the Lakeshore it can be hot and humid in the mid of summer. We went in May and had an awesome time, though the rain and win can come up apparently. We were camping on the lakeshore and kayaking for 10 days in total and did not once experience wind, rain or humidity in May. It was very pleasant indeed.
    Cape Town to Cape Maclear and back in 3 months (click here for trip reports)
    Vehicle knowledge is more important than trip knowledge imho (click here for expensive lessons)
    We will never be the same again.

Jurgens XT140 Off-road trailer (sold)
    Land Rover Discovery 3 TDV6 S (2005) (sold)

Thanks ReadySteadyGo. It seems like it is a good time to plan for.
    2011 JK Wrangler Rubicon 3.8

I have been on the lake twice.
    Beginning of November, the weather was very hot during the day (hopefully, there is a lake with fresh water!), easily bearable in the night.
    In April, we got some rain first, afterwards lots of sun, hot days, mild nights.
    Pierre
    -------------------------------------------------------------

The rains usually start mid November and end in April. It can get very humid down by the lake during this period. January and February have the heaviest rainfall.

It also depends where you're planning to go apart fro the lake. For example the dry season is much better for game viewing at Liwonde, Majete and Vwaza but it can get very cold (sub zero) up high ie Nyika/Mulanje in June/July.

Personally I love May when the air is clear and the views are great. It is sunny, but not too hot and not too busy either. September/October is also lovely especially up at Nyika when the grasses turn beautiful colours. It is wildfire season though.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyP View Post
    I am looking at doing a trip up to Lake Malawi in 2014. Fortunately I am not restricted by school holidays etc and would like to know what the best time of the year is for such an adventure, based on weather and not too busy. It will be a camping trip, mixed in with the odd lodge stay over
    Hey TonyP, we looking at putting a trip together in June/July (bound by school holidays), maybe you want to chat or join forces?

Hi,
    If you want to bade in lake Malawi, in my opinion something you should do, the lake water can be brownish with plant material and other stuff floating on it after heavy rains while in the late dry season the water is crystal clear and warm.

There is bilharazia in some place at the lake, mostly where there is reads, but if you take a tablet cure (a kind of deworming) in the months following the exposure you will be fine.