Rhino poaching: interesting new initiative

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Rhino poaching: interesting new initiative

Got this email today from the Peace Parks Foundation. Something concrete on the ground. Let the poachers know...

Today sees the start of a major project in the KwaZulu-Natal reserves that are part of the Lubombo Transfrontier Conservation and Resource Area to stem the tide of poaching. The horns of the rhino of Tembe Elephant Park and Ndumo Game Reserve will be infused with a toxic cocktail of indelible dye and ectoparasiticides. While poisonous to human consumption, the infusion is in no way harmful to the rhino.
    Thank you to the pioneer partners supporting this project: Neville and Pamela Isdell, the Liberty Wildlife Fund and the Sophia Foundation.
    As it costs approximately US$800 to treat one rhino, any and all donations to save a rhino or contribute to the rhino horn treatment project will be welcome. A dedicated account has been set up by Peace Parks Foundation, in partnership with Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife, which will allocate 100% of any donation towards the protection of KwaZulu-Natalís rhino populations. Please click here for online donations, or please contact Alrika Hefers, Peace Parks Foundation fund development manager.

So far this year, 618 rhino have been poached in South Africa, 62 of them in KwaZulu-Natal.

https://www.givengain.com/cgi-bin/giga.cgi?cmd=donate&cause_id=973&project_id=14135

I think it's great, but if someone gets ill or dies are they not opening themselves up for murder charges?

what is an "ectoparasiticide"?

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    I think it's great, but if someone gets ill or dies are they not opening themselves up for murder charges?

what is an "ectoparasiticide"?
    Bu**ered if I know. The font of all knowledge says:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to: navigation, search An ectoparasiticide is an antiparasitic drug used in the treatment of ectoparasitic infestations.[1] These drugs are used to kill the parasites that live on the body surface. Permethrin, sulfur, lindane, dicophane, benzyl benzoate, ivermectin and crotamiton are well known ectoparasiticides.

I say bloody well done, now they just need to let it be known that if you use this horn in any way

you gonna die
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Hopefully the fact that there is dye in it will cause doubt with the end user as it wont look original, finger and toe nails could be marketed as a generic equivalent.
    Land Rover Puma 110 '2009'
    Terrafirma suspension
    African Outback add on's

They use over the counter ectoparasiticides (tick poison) that farmers use anyway to treat their animals for ticks and stuff that are safe for vultures and whatnot but toxic to humans.
    2001 Mitsubishi Colt 2.4i Trailbuster
    Ironman Suspension
    40mm Body lift
    31x10.5x15 Cooper STTs

Quote Originally Posted by OwenD View Post
    They use over the counter ectoparasiticides that farmers use anyway to treat their animals for ticks and stuff (tick poison) that are safe for vultures and whatnot but toxic to humans.
    Will it kill a person in very small quantities?

How much can you inpregnate into a few grams that is sold as some kind of super cure in the east?

Enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Will it kill a person in very small quantities?

How much can you inpregnate into a few grams that is sold as some kind of super cure in the east?

Enough?
    They squirt it through the fibres of the horn with a high pressure applicator, drill in and put it under pressure, they get quite a lot in.

As for killing people I don't think anyone knows, they are pushing the idea that it is non-lethal in very small quantities and hiding behind that to defend themselves against not trying to kill people, but rather deter them with severe nausea and vomiting in the quantities that they THINK people generally use.

I don't think they care too much if the end user takes more than usual and dies, I think some of the compounds are pretty hardcore neural toxins even in extremely low doses.
    Ironman Suspension
    40mm Body lift
    31x10.5x15 Cooper STTs

Interesting.

Peace Parks seems to be a proper organisation so I can't imagine them jumping into something that potentially opens them up to murder charges and generally improper conduct...

but this has been mooted for a while (poisoning the horns) and the objection has always been that (under SA law certainly) if someone should die as a result, it's premeditated murder.... and thats even if the intent was JUST to make them ill.

I guess that the dye might be considered a warning provided it's made very well known what it means, but I don't know.

It's the only real solution that is going to be a real deterrent to poachers, but I do hope it doesn't backfire.

Again, I assume that this has all been properly thought out, but if the compounds are poisonous to humans, they are surely poisonous to other mammals? Is there not a danger of other animals (or the rhino itself) ingesting some through rubbing horns/contact etc?

It's a bloody easy solution if it works out though!!!

Good questions, I don't know enough about the cocktail to answer them. Each pesticide is used externally on animals already to treat parasites and have been approved for agricultural use as oxpecker and vulture safe, I assume the animals can lick themselves and rub up against each other too.

I am out of my depth already and anything more would be guesswork.

I have a friend doing it in Sabi Sands but haven't been involved personally, all second hand info.

Name:  934145_378105292294367_1786115626_n.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  124.0 KB
    Ironman Suspension
    40mm Body lift
    31x10.5x15 Cooper STTs

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    Bu**ered if I know. The font of all knowledge says:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to: navigation, search An ectoparasiticide is an antiparasitic drug used in the treatment of ectoparasitic infestations.[1] These drugs are used to kill the parasites that live on the body surface. Permethrin, sulfur, lindane, dicophane, benzyl benzoate, ivermectin and crotamiton are well known ectoparasiticides.
    These sound like a GOOD thing to consume.........if you have parasites. Maybe after all these years of telling the Chinese that there is no more medical value in consuming rhino horn than in chewing their own fingernails, we may have inadvertently given some of them at least some benefit. "Ah, the blue stuff......powerful medicine........makes you sick, but cures your worms!"

I'm just kidding.

I hope there is a clearly visible sign that the horns have been treated. Do they show up as blue or whatever before the animal is butchered?

Mike
    Last edited by MikeAG; 2013/09/11 at 10:29 AM.
    "A poxy, feral, Brit architect who drinks bad beer and supports the wrong rugby team." Tony Weaver

"Mike for President" Freeflyd

Quote Originally Posted by MikeAG View Post
    ...I hope there is a clearly visible sign that the horns have been treated. Do they show up as blue or whatever before the animal is butchered?

Mike
    No.
    Ironman Suspension
    40mm Body lift
    31x10.5x15 Cooper STTs

Quote Originally Posted by MikeAG View Post
    These sound like a GOOD thing to consume.........if you have parasites. Maybe after all these years of telling the Chinese that there is no more medical value in consuming rhino horn than in chewing their own fingernails, we may have inadvertently given some of them at least some benefit. "Ah, the blue stuff......powerful medicine........makes you sick, but cures your worms!"

I'm just kidding.

I hope there is a clearly visible sign that the horns have been treated. Do they show up as blue or whatever before the animal is butchered?

Mike

That would be my question - is the dye visible in the horn of a treated animal? or is it only apparent when the horn is cut/ground up?

On the one hand Rhino's with bright pink horns are not going to be terribly attractive, but it's far better than dead rhinos...

No.
    ah.

So - how will the poachers know that the horn of that animal is useless to them?

618, that's a staggering number
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

They don't until they cut into it.

Even if they grind it up though the dye has a different xray signature so it can be detected by authorities, but maybe not by end users.

I have been wondering about the tactics, and perhaps it is to try deter without having to innoculate every horn. If the poachers could easily see which ones weren't poisoned then they would just target those. By having it 'invisible' maybe the idea is that they won't take the risk, thereby protecting those without treatment if the poachers think they have all been poisoned.

Like mimicry, it becomes a complicated exercise in game theory.
    Ironman Suspension
    40mm Body lift
    31x10.5x15 Cooper STTs

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    618, that's a staggering number
    One every 10 hours...
    Ironman Suspension
    40mm Body lift
    31x10.5x15 Cooper STTs

They don't until they cut into it.

Even if they grind it up though the dye has a different xray signature so it can be detected by authorities, but maybe not by end users.

I have been wondering about the tactics, and perhaps it is to try deter without having to innoculate every horn. If the poachers could easily see which ones weren't poisoned then they would just target those. By having it 'invisible' maybe the idea is that they won't take the risk, thereby protecting those without treatment if the poachers think they have all been poisoned.

Like mimicry, it becomes a complicated exercise in game theory.
    well, my fear would be that they simply hit the rhino anyway and just toss the horn if it's contaminated.

then go and get another one....

you'd have to literally do every single Rhino in the country to make it a deterrent...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast