Kruger National Park Speed Cops

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Kruger National Park Speed Cops

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Ne...itors-20130825

I love what they are doing just as much as I love KNP.
    But just read the comments under the report. It is as if the people think it is ok to speed.

Totally agree on the speeding issue, in fact we were in Mabua this last week and were speaking to people who regularly go to the KNP about how different the 2 holiday venues are. They were saying that in the KNP many people are obsessed with travelling long distances every day and being out from early morning till late afternoon.

Abusive law enforcement officers should not be tolerated and the same with abusive tourists.

If you cant see yourself obeying the 'rules'(which the Parks Board have taken to the extreme) then rather just stay away.. Its no use going knowing that you are going to get into trouble.
    Land Rover Puma 110 '2009'
    Terrafirma suspension
    African Outback add on's

Quote Originally Posted by James Mackay View Post
    Totally agree on the speeding issue, in fact we were in Mabua this last week and were speaking to people who regularly go to the KNP about how different the 2 holiday venues are. They were saying that in the KNP many people are obsessed with travelling long distances every day and being out from early morning till late afternoon.

Abusive law enforcement officers should not be tolerated and the same with abusive tourists.

If you cant see yourself obeying the 'rules'(which the Parks Board have taken to the extreme) then rather just stay away.. Its no use going knowing that you are going to get into trouble.
    +1

Makes my blood boil. I know some of the traffic officers and the only time that they would be seen to be unreasonable is when the person being fined or reprimanded becomes belligerent and rude to the officer.
    I can promise you, some of the language from both men and woman who have transgressed the law and been stopped, will make the worst bad-ass on this forum blush.
    I had a guest here last week who had spent a week in the park, she is ex South African and her husband American. She has been visiting the park almost every year for the past 50 years (she comes out to visit family every year) and she knows the rules of the park, but still has the cheek to say that she can do what she likes, speed, get out of the car, stand on the roof to "see" the Lions better and believes that she or her husband should not be fined as they are tourists and this is just like the "old regime" (female dog)
    Her husband thinks that they were photographed out of the car at a Wild Dog sighting. I hope they were and a fine gets sent to them.
    Dave Jackaman
    Ham Call Sign ZR6DG
    Timbavati PNR
    Nissan Pathfinder 2.5d
    A bunch of LR Tdi & Td5

As far as I am concerned, KNP can have speed traps between every camp and every gate, every day of the year. Speeding in the park is like picking your nose in a cathedral - it's just not done!! Some people need to learn this the hard way. If you get bust doing 55 or 57 you can say you're weren't paying attention for a moment but make the fine for any speed above 60k/h at least R1 000. The park needs the cash seeing as our government refuses to fund this national asset properly!
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

I agree, mostly South Africans so there is no excuse. Pop the fines up 1000% and let's get some cash flow going here.
    2001 Mitsubishi Colt 2.4i Trailbuster
    Ironman Suspension
    40mm Body lift
    31x10.5x15 Cooper STTs

Quote Originally Posted by davejackaman View Post
    but still has the cheek to say that she can do what she likes, speed, get out of the car, stand on the roof to "see" the Lions better and believes that she or her husband should not be fined as they are tourists and this is just like the "old regime" (female dog)
    Her husband thinks that they were photographed out of the car at a Wild Dog sighting. I hope they were and a fine gets sent to them.
    This is the bit that makes my blood boil, as a tourist, you should respect the environment you are in, not abuse the privilege.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

I totally agree with the speed limit in the Kruger. But what I cannot understand is why we are mot allowed to drive all those no entry roads. Especially those thats nice game viewing roads.
    Pat

Prado 3.4 V6, OME + Spacer lift, Cooper STT, Safari Snorkel, VHF.....
    Buell Xb12Ss

Just read the article what a croc of balloney comments. Whine whine whine if you speed and you get caught then pay up AND shut up. There is not enough cops in Kruger and the fines are ridiculously too low. Forget about the animals and all the reasons for the speed limits they are not relevant and certainly not up for debate. The speed limit has been set, it is not optional, it is not a recommendation, it is not a guideline it is a law.

You do not get cut any slack in any other country just because you are a visitor, and nor should you get any slack. Why do these morons complain when they come here and break the law that some cop is messing up their holiday then complain about being harassed to try and drum up some support for their unlawful activity.

If they do not like the laws in Kruger them simply stay away.
    Jeep, there is only one.

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    This is the bit that makes my blood boil, as a tourist, you should respect the environment you are in, not abuse the privilege.
    you sound like the old regime!
    2001 Mitsubishi Colt 2.4i Trailbuster
    Ironman Suspension
    40mm Body lift
    31x10.5x15 Cooper STTs

Hey Owen
    Things worked in the KNP then, not saying we need the old regime back, but the present regime needs to jack things up
    Dave Jackaman
    Ham Call Sign ZR6DG
    Timbavati PNR
    Nissan Pathfinder 2.5d
    A bunch of LR Tdi & Td5

Driving the no entry routes.

I have heard from various sources that a lot of those roads are for tour operators and game viewing vehicles.

So you and me, that also pay the park fees, are lesser mortals.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

Quote Originally Posted by Henris View Post
    Driving the no entry routes.

I have heard from various sources that a lot of those roads are for tour operators and game viewing vehicles.

So you and me, that also pay the park fees, are lesser mortals.
    Not true Henris. In Kruger there is a service road running beneath the power lines that is used by the Kruger staff and Eskom. These roads run in quite a straight line. There are other roads that are used by rangers to cross from east to West between the North South roads. Some no entries go to Rangers houses and some no entries go to research areas in the park and some are no entries because old roads have washed away.

I sat with one of the Ranger's and chatted about the no entry roads. There are some roads the ranger's only use in an emergency as the quickest route from point A to point B and even they get frowned upon if they try and use it regularly.
    Jeep, there is only one.

North of the Levuhu river, you are only allowed on the tar.

This piece of the park probably has the best game viewing and the best vistas in the park.

Have a look on your T4 tracks or on Google Earth and see how many roads there are.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

A lot of those no entry's are also old loops that they are to lazy to keep maintained IMO. Easier to just close it down and make the roads fewer.

Roads must be maintained, branches cut, flood damage repaired etc. It cost money I understand. But if it doesn't bother me if my car gets some new scratches and grass in the radiator. Why cant they just put up a warning sign and thats it?

Some areas of the park doesn't have nearly enough roads. Or enough without no entry signs anyway.
    Pat

Prado 3.4 V6, OME + Spacer lift, Cooper STT, Safari Snorkel, VHF.....
    Buell Xb12Ss

Quote Originally Posted by kevjones View Post
    Not true Henris. In Kruger there is a service road running beneath the power lines that is used by the Kruger staff and Eskom. These roads run in quite a straight line. There are other roads that are used by rangers to cross from east to West between the North South roads. Some no entries go to Rangers houses and some no entries go to research areas in the park and some are no entries because old roads have washed away.

I sat with one of the Ranger's and chatted about the no entry roads. There are some roads the ranger's only use in an emergency as the quickest route from point A to point B and even they get frowned upon if they try and use it regularly.
    Fully agree. I have had the privilege to drive on these super game spotting secret hidden roads legally and had the most incredible time.......no traffic but sadly no game either. There is one exception in the north of the park there is one powerline road that is the closest to a guaranteed sighting of pennant winged nightjar but being a nocturnal it would still not be an option even if it was open to general public, the good news is that the night drive rangers all know about this rare sighting and take the folks there. Kruger staff also have another privilege in that they are allowed to drive at 60 instead of 50 but also most of their vehicles have tracking devices and they can find themselves jobless if they speed
    Last edited by hbannink; 2013/09/01 at 02:04 AM.
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Henris View Post
    North of the Levuhu river, you are only allowed on the tar.

This piece of the park probably has the best game viewing and the best vistas in the park.

Have a look on your T4 tracks or on Google Earth and see how many roads there are.
    Henris, the area north of the Levhuvu river is now private concession after the successful land claim by the Makuleke people who were forcibly removed from the area in the 60's or so. It's operated by Wilderness Safaris and as far as private reserves go it's one of the most beautiful and certainly much more affordable than the Sabi Sands or Timbavati.
    2008 Nissan Pathfinder 4.0L 4x4 A/T (sold 2019/03)
    2013 Nissan Patrol 3.0 Di 4x4 (since 2019/03)
    2010 Conqueror Conquest, fully kitted
    Capturing Africa's beauty one photo at a time!

Quote Originally Posted by hbannink View Post
    Kruger staff also have another privilege in that they are allowed to drive at 60 instead of 50...
    How dof is that - do as I say, not as I do!
    Andrew Ashton
    2002 Pajero 3.2 Di-D LWB A/T

View my photos on flickr

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.ashton View Post
    How dof is that - do as I say, not as I do!
    Well-it is only 10km/hr more-and these guys work there, they know the place, sometimes have to get somewhere in a hurry,etc-give them that at least!
    Tourists are supposed to be on holiday-why the need to rush?

I agree-make the fines very high, and eventually the problem will be no more-done!

We were driving towards a camp about half an hour before closing time when a family in an X5 came blasting past us. They were caught about a kilometer down the road and pulled off for speeding. So we drove past them and waved to the traffic cop who waved back . They are very nice these traffic cops. Anyway... About 20 minutes later that X5 blasted past us again.

Obviously they figured that there wouldn't be another traffic cop on their route and knew they could continue speeding. So I say milk them for all their worth!!!
    Regards,

William

D4 v8 --Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Murray Walker
    I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast