Steed optimising

Default Steed optimising

Hi there,i am new to this forum, and just looking for some advise.I owned a 2.8tci 4x4 with blanked egr,spacers at the waste gate and 63mm free flow ala amarok style,stoped in front of rear diff.Now I just bought a new 2.5 4x4 and have done 5000km,and it does not pull nearly as well as the old one.The 2.8 pulled from 1000rpm where the 2.5 only gets going at 2000rpm and even then not that strong.Would doing those changes to the 2.5 void the warranty?I see it as optimizing not modifying as the motor just breaths easier.the 2.8 got sold with 125000 km on and not much problems.Only the engine light would come on as the maf sensor would read over limit because of more air moving through the engine.But the difference in driveabillity is chalk and cheese.Hope fully someone in the industry could respond to regards the warranty.Tanks

I am just curious what does the spacers do at the wastegate?Does it improve performance or how does it work.

Hi,i am led to believe it raises the boost pressure, by letting the waste gate stay closed for longer.This apparently only creates more performance if you ad more diesel.So the exsess air just helps cooling.I think that is how it works,wich is why I posted the first time.To try and get answers,the new bakkie has got a lot of turbo lag.

Apparently they do.But i have done some searching and the guys told me not to give to much boost on them not good for the head gasket and pistons.IOW running to lean and that raises temp.

Do you have a boost gauge on?

Quote Originally Posted by GWM Steed 2.8 TC View Post
    Apparently they do.But i have done some searching and the guys told me not to give to much boost on them not good for the head gasket and pistons.IOW running to lean and that raises temp.
    The steed 2.5 tci actually has an adjustable waste gate. Its just a threaded shaft with that you make shorter or longer. If i remember correctly its shorter for more boost. We did it to a mate's 2.5 and also fitted a chip that gives more fuel. That thing pulled far better than my 2.5 dteq isuzu.

By the way, on a diesel its actually the other way around. A leaner mixture equals lower egt and then lower temps, so if you raise boost you actually lower egts!

In other words when you add boost you actually need to add fuel proportunately. (Up to a point). Best way of doing this is driving with egt monitor before any mods and measuring peak temps, then adding a chip to add fuel, this will raise your egt, so then you adjust the boost till you get the same max egt again. Rasing the boost without adding fuel is not gonna make any diffs. Max boost should just not be more than what the engine was designed to handle!
    2013 VW Amarok Auto-since May 2013
    2014 Isuzu KB 300 dteq 4x4 with extras-for work
    1999 Land Rover 110 TD5 HCPU-alive tuned-for play

2011 Isuzu KB 250 dteq 4x4 - Manager ry hom-gelukkige blik***
    2006 Land Rover Discovery 3 TDV6 S-SOLD-nicest car
    2006 Toyota Hilux 3.0 d4d -SOLD- worst car i ever owned

Quote Originally Posted by steedie View Post
    Hi there,i am new to this forum, and just looking for some advise.I owned a 2.8tci 4x4 with blanked egr,spacers at the waste gate and 63mm free flow ala amarok style,stoped in front of rear diff.Now I just bought a new 2.5 4x4 and have done 5000km,and it does not pull nearly as well as the old one.The 2.8 pulled from 1000rpm where the 2.5 only gets going at 2000rpm and even then not that strong.Would doing those changes to the 2.5 void the warranty?I see it as optimizing not modifying as the motor just breaths easier.the 2.8 got sold with 125000 km on and not much problems.Only the engine light would come on as the maf sensor would read over limit because of more air moving through the engine.But the difference in driveabillity is chalk and cheese.Hope fully someone in the industry could respond to regards the warranty.Tanks
    Hi Steedie.
    Can you remember the size of the spacers at the waste gate?
    Thanks !
    Deon
    2008 GWM Steed 2,8 D/C 4X4

Hi,just use 2mm washers.

Thanks steedie.
    As soon as I get my EGT an boost gauges, I will try this.
    Deon
    2008 GWM Steed 2,8 D/C 4X4

Ek het nou heeltemal kop verloor!Waar gaan jy presies die 2mm washers in sit?
    SÍ my asb.Wil ook probeer as dit die moeite werd is.