Unhappy 4x4 transmission overheat,need urgent advice

hi Guys i desperately need some advice, i own a 2012 3.0L D4D hilux double cab automatic, i bought it new and now only has 42000km millage

this is my first automatic 4x4 , i did lots of trips to namib with my previouse 2008 4x4 manual hilux bakkie. i did most of all the 4x4 trips and routs in namibia, with absolutely no problems .

i decided to to buy myself the 2012 double cab 3.0 4x4 hilux bakkie automatic, since i have only heard positive things...then my problems started....

in march 2013 i took my cab to namib to do some fishing, driving in 4 hi on the beach, it did not take long for my transmission over heat light to come on. i had to stop and wait 20min for the light to go off. after the trip i took my cab for its regular service and thought nothing more about it.

Then in july 2013 i took my wife to sani pass to see the snow. also driving in 4hi, i manged to get just pass the border post when my transmission light went on again.

the monday i reported the problem to toyota and then delt with toyota Sa. they say may vehicle is up to there standards , and i am driving my cab outside its capabilities, and they wont do anything further to my cab

after lots of fighting the wanted me to test drive the bakkie on a farm road.....i dont know how can a 4x4 be tested properly on a normal dirt road.....

my biggest problem is doing dune driving in namib, i am scared of overheating my cab in the middle of the dessert , and thus i cannot drive my car for the purpose i bought it for.

am i right feeling cheated by toyota or do they have a point?

if so what can i do about the problem?

kind regards

Flekkie

You need to lock it in gear / change up / down manually.

This stops the hunting up and down and the torque converter or whatever from working too hard.
    Andrew

2010 Mazda BT-50 3.0 CRDi

Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by FLEKKIE View Post

i had to stop and wait 20min for the light to go off. after the trip i took my cab for its regular service and thought nothing more about it.

Then in july 2013 i took my wife to sani pass to see the snow. also driving in 4hi, i manged to get just pass the border post when my transmission light went on again.

they say may vehicle is up to there standards , and i am driving my cab outside its capabilities, and they wont do anything further to my cab

after lots of fighting the wanted me to test drive the bakkie on a farm road.....i dont know how can a 4x4 be tested properly on a normal dirt road.....

Flekkie
    Flekkie, my 2c worth.

Andrew is correct, but I just want to add some detail. The Toyota 4sp auto as fitted to the 3.0 is not at the cutting edge of design in terms of torque converter lock up. Driving along a beach or on a trail for example that requires higher RPM to achive the neccessary torque will generally result in torque converter slip which will heat up the ATF. To get around this, lock it onto a lower gear to prevent hunting and encourage the converter to lock up.

If it does overheat, simply stop and put the transmission into park and then build the revs to +- 1500 and allow the engine to pump the ATF around and through the cooler. The light should go off after a few min. Lock the gearbox in a lower gear (like 3 or even 2) and continue.

Toyota could have a point in that it is operating within design spec, it just means you may need to change how you drive slightly. Testing it on a average gravel road is however silly, as it is unlikly to result in significant converter slip.

It is not uncommon to hear of the 3.0 and overheat. Some members of the forum have reported it and when SA 4x4 (I think) tested a facelifted fortuner with the 3.0 and auto box, they reported the same thing.

Hope this helps.
    Paul.

Oh hell, don't let Makaira see this.

2020 FJ Cruiser "CementGrey&White RiceBowl"
    1986 Hilux DC 4x4 "White RiceBowl"Sold
    2012 FJ Cruiser Sport "Black&White" RiceBowl" Sold
    Agteros - you should stick to your rice bowls! - HGBosch

Does the same problem exist with the petrol auto models?
    2011 Toyota Fortuner V6 4x2 - werk
    2012 Toyota Hilux V6 4x4 Heritage edition - speel
    2013 Toyota RAV4 2,2D AWD - swambo
    2003 Toyota Corolla 1800 GLX - student

Quote Originally Posted by Agteros View Post
    Oh hell, don't let Makaira see this.
    Klaar gesien. LMFAO.

Flekkie, you need to take your vehicle to a Toyota dealer. They will take a sample of your transmission oil and smell it. If it doesn't smell like tuna, they will tell you there is nothing wrong with your transmission. (Also, they will charge you about R120 to top up the oil again). And, no matter how much you wail on this forum about how crap the 4-speed auto box is the Toyota doctrine will tell you it's brilliant, so my advice to you is sell the friggin thing and move on, as I am about to do.

http://4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php?t=113678
    Last edited by Makaira; 2013/08/25 at 10:37 AM.

Flekkie , my FJ en my Hilux D4D 4x4 is outomaties , ek ry sand soveel moontlik ( Brakkeduine , 4x4 Paradise , Klein Tafelberg , Weskus teen die see , Atlantis , Goerapan , Namib ). Ek het nog nooit ratkas oorverhittingsprobleme gehad nie . Jou grootste probleem is , jy ry in 4 Hi . Jy moet , veral in dik sand en hindernisse , in 4 Lo ry . In 4 Hi is daar te veel stremming ( strain ) op die torque converter , wat jy nie gaan kry in 4 Lo nie . Dis slegs op harde sand ( soos teen die see op laagwater ) waar mens in 4 Hi kan ry .

Quote Originally Posted by Coetzee View Post
    Does the same problem exist with the petrol auto models?
    The petrol auto uses a different gearbox. It has not happened to mine and I ahve not come across any reports where it has happened.
    Paul.

Also check that the gearbox radiator is clear of any grass etc. Friend of mine had the same issue on our recent Zambian trip, as he had forgotten his seednet

---------------------
    Current planet killers
    Disco 3 V8
    Colt Rodeo 2800
    Land Cruiser 79 V6

Previous
    SIII Chevy 4.1 Straight 6
    Forward Control SII
    Rangie Classic 3.5 V8
    Rangie Classic Chevy 5.7 V8
    Defender 2.8 Straight 6
    Disco 1 3.5 V8
    Disco 3 TDV6
    Disco 3 V8
    Disco 1 V8
    Disco 2 TD5

http://heine9999.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bastian Bakkes View Post
    Flekkie , my FJ en my Hilux D4D 4x4 is outomaties , ek ry sand soveel moontlik ( Brakkeduine , 4x4 Paradise , Klein Tafelberg , Weskus teen die see , Atlantis , Goerapan , Namib ). Ek het nog nooit ratkas oorverhittingsprobleme gehad nie . Jou grootste probleem is , jy ry in 4 Hi . Jy moet , veral in dik sand en hindernisse , in 4 Lo ry . In 4 Hi is daar te veel stremming ( strain ) op die torque converter , wat jy nie gaan kry in 4 Lo nie . Dis slegs op harde sand ( soos teen die see op laagwater ) waar mens in 4 Hi kan ry .
    So waar enige ander voertuig in Hi deur die sand kan ry moet jy die Toyota in Lo sit sodat dit lekker kan brandstof suip, anders kook die ratkas. Asseblief

Hi Guys

Thanx for all the advice, i will try some of it. not to sure about driving in 4L on the beach, as far as i know , you only need 4L in soft sand and if you get stuck by not knowing what you are doing while driving on the beach. driving on the beach when the sand is cold and hard, the 4H is not really meant to overheat your gearbox,

Selling my toyota for a jeep is going from a bad situation to a worst situation, i MIGHT blow my gearbox now with my toyota, but trading it in for a jeep, i will diffidently get stuck in the middle of the dessert without fuel.

Only choice is trading it in for a manual Toyota , last time ill ever buy a automatic !!!