Radical trails are a concern - Page 9





Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 324
  1. #161
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    44
    Posts
    5,215
    Thanked: 7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eurard View Post
    I am at higher risk of damage driving through a pot hole than on a trail as I dont tavel 120km/h through an obstacle and navigate obstacles with the utmost care.
    This is a good point. I hit a pothole at 120km/h in the Fiesta, my claim will be a lot more than any radical trail claim Not to mention Discovery Medical Aid might have a claim as well as I'll definitaly be in hospital I'm way more nervous on my daily N1/M1 commute than I am on a trail
    IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!

    Apparently I need to make the airplane noises like mommy does when I try to spoon feed you the info..

  2. #162
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kempton Park
    Age
    60
    Posts
    2,560
    Thanked: 21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
    This is a good point. I hit a pothole at 120km/h in the Fiesta, my claim will be a lot more than any radical trail claim Not to mention Discovery Medical Aid might have a claim as well as I'll definitaly be in hospital I'm way more nervous on my daily N1/M1 commute than I am on a trail
    I think the difference is that nobody deliberately drives through a pothole.
    Bite off more than you can chew - then chew!

  3. #163
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Vtown
    Age
    59
    Posts
    6,054
    Thanked: 83

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vossie View Post
    I think the difference is that nobody deliberately drives through a pothole.
    I do,when I've got a softroader/appliance/Frotuner tailgating me
    A legend in his own mind

  4. #164
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    49
    Posts
    357
    Thanked: 26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond du Plessis View Post
    An ever increasing number of vehicles are being damaged on trails and the question to be asked is;
    1. are the trails becoming more radical......or
    2. are drivers becoming more gung-ho ?
    Or has fuel become so expensive that drivers of gas-guzzling 4x4s get their fix on a nearby trail rather than on an expensive overland holiday, thus increasing the chance of damage?
    Stuart

    2006 Toyota Land Cruiser 100 VX 4.7L V8

  5. #165
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Kenmare
    Age
    46
    Posts
    6,934
    Thanked: 46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vossie View Post

    I think the difference is that nobody deliberately drives through a pothole.
    Over here its more a choice of which one you rather hit. So you deliberately drive through the smallest one.

    I honesty neither do we deliberately damage the cars on trail. Again accidents happen. Sakkie definately.didnt deliberately rolled his car and that was no radical section.
    Last edited by Eurard; 2013/08/23 at 01:43 PM.

  6. #166
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Kenmare
    Age
    46
    Posts
    6,934
    Thanked: 46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by incrediblebob View Post

    I do,when I've got a softroader/appliance/Frotuner tailgating me
    Bahahahaha the joy imagine. Ha ha

  7. #167
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kempton Park
    Age
    60
    Posts
    2,560
    Thanked: 21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eurard View Post
    Over here its more a choice of which one you rather hit. So you deliberately drive through the smallest one.

    I honesty neither do we deliberately damage the cars on trail. Again accidents happen. Sakkie definately.didnt deliberately rolled his car and that was no radical section.
    True - but one deliberately and willingly choose to drive the trail/track/route being FULLY AWARE of the increase of risk of damage.
    Bite off more than you can chew - then chew!

  8. #168
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    39
    Posts
    782
    Thanked: 70

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PieterV View Post
    De Wildt?
    Yep
    Jaco
    2004 Defender DCPU TD5 - BRUTUS
    Bullbar | Winch | Snorkel | Dual Battery | Long Range | Water Tank | Alu Canopy | Snomaster 66L Dual Fridge/Freezer | Awning | Packing System | Roof Rack | Spare Swing Bracket | Warn Spots | Rear Air Helpers | 265/75/16 Maxxis Bighorn | Terrafirma Steering Rods | Front Detroit Trutrac Locker | Rear Detroit Full Locker
    2005 Disco 2 TD5 - LOLLOS a.k.a SWAMBO's Taxi
    Burnco Bullbar | Cooper Discoverers
    4X4AG - GP 0181
    2016 Jurgens Safari Xplorer - BOSSIE

  9. #169
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Kenmare
    Age
    46
    Posts
    6,934
    Thanked: 46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vossie View Post

    True - but one deliberately and willingly choose to drive the trail/track/route being FULLY AWARE of the increase of risk of damage.
    Everyday i get on William Nicol I am fully aware of the possibility of a taxi smashing into me too. Like the rocks on a trail they come out of nowhere!

  10. #170
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kempton Park
    Age
    60
    Posts
    2,560
    Thanked: 21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eurard View Post
    Everyday i get on William Nicol I am fully aware of the possibility of a taxi smashing into me too. Like the rocks on a trail they come out of nowhere!
    Why do you travel on William Nicol?
    Bite off more than you can chew - then chew!

  11. #171
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    44
    Posts
    5,215
    Thanked: 7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eurard View Post
    Everyday i get on William Nicol I am fully aware of the possibility of a taxi smashing into me too. Like the rocks on a trail they come out of nowhere!
    Trying going in to CBD and using Simmonds / Sauer street... One moment road is clear, next moment, TAXI!! *brakes on, finger up*

    Next we'll be asked "are cars in cities more susceptible to damage than plaas bakkies?"
    IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!

    Apparently I need to make the airplane noises like mommy does when I try to spoon feed you the info..

  12. #172
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kempton Park
    Age
    60
    Posts
    2,560
    Thanked: 21

    Default

    I think you are missing the point. We all HAVE to travel on certain very dangerous - for various reasons - roads everyday. That is a fact of life! I'm saying/asking - do you have to attempt an obstacle of a trail that is highly likely to cause damage to your car? Do you have to drive through that mudhole and up that grade 5 rocky section?
    Bite off more than you can chew - then chew!

  13. #173
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Kenmare
    Age
    46
    Posts
    6,934
    Thanked: 46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vossie View Post

    Why do you travel on William Nicol?
    Because I decide to there are other routes.

  14. #174
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Kenmare
    Age
    46
    Posts
    6,934
    Thanked: 46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vossie View Post
    I think you are missing the point. We all HAVE to travel on certain very dangerous - for various reasons - roads everyday. That is a fact of life! I'm saying/asking - do you have to attempt an obstacle of a trail that is highly likely to cause damage to your car? Do you have to drive through that mudhole and up that grade 5 rocky section?
    Would anyone have offered the voortrekkers insurance?

    Ps Grade 5 you sure?

  15. #175
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Gordon's Bay
    Age
    49
    Posts
    28,879
    Thanked: 4378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vossie View Post
    Do you have to drive through that mudhole and up that grade 5 rocky section?
    Erm.

    Is there another alternative ?

  16. #176
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kempton Park
    Age
    60
    Posts
    2,560
    Thanked: 21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Erm.

    Is there another alternative ?
    Well - depends. There are always alternatives.

    If you are 100% sure that you and your vehicle has the ability to get through safely and without damage to the vehicle - then do it. If you are not sure - then act reponsibly and rather don't take the chance. However - few guys on this forum will do the latter because - hell - what would the people say if they chicken out?!!!!

    They would rather take the risk - hoping that the insurance will pay if something goes wrong, than to create the impression that "their's are shorter"!
    Last edited by Vossie; 2013/08/23 at 06:51 PM.
    Bite off more than you can chew - then chew!

  17. #177
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Gordon's Bay
    Age
    49
    Posts
    28,879
    Thanked: 4378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vossie View Post
    Well - depends. There are always alternatives.

    If you are 100% sure that you and your vehicle has the ability to get through safely and without damage to the vehicle - then do it. If you are not sure - then act reponsibly and rather don't take the chance. However - few guys on this forum will do the latter because - hell - what would the people say if they chicken out?!!!!

    They would rather take the risk - hoping that the insurance will pay if something goes wrong, than to create the impression that "their's are shorter"!


    Hmmmmm...

    That sounds a lot like digging.

    UNTHINKABLE

    Must be an amarok thing...


  18. #178
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kempton Park
    Age
    60
    Posts
    2,560
    Thanked: 21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Hmmmmm...

    That sounds a lot like digging.

    UNTHINKABLE

    Must be an amarok thing...


    Pajero.
    Bite off more than you can chew - then chew!

  19. #179
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kempton Park
    Age
    60
    Posts
    2,560
    Thanked: 21

    Default

    Apoc, I understand most of the arguments and sentiments here (althought there were some pretty stupid remarks and statements from some), but as I said in an earlier post, if Raymond's observation/prediction become true, we are all going to pay for it - not just the guys who play around regularly. As a matter of fact - the first signs are there!
    Bite off more than you can chew - then chew!

  20. #180
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Gordon's Bay
    Age
    49
    Posts
    28,879
    Thanked: 4378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vossie View Post
    Pajero.
    Oops...

    Sorry, I get confused with the softroaders

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 4x4 Trails in & around KZN
    By Landy KZN in forum 4x4 Trails / Routes / Clubs
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 2018/01/04, 10:18 AM
  2. Your Opinon - new 4x4 Wilderness Trails
    By Shart in forum Botswana
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 2013/04/10, 12:45 AM
  3. KZN, 4x4 Trail options
    By Landy KZN in forum Kwazulu-Natal
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 2013/01/08, 10:20 AM
  4. Users grading / reports of 4x4 trails
    By Joenel in forum 4x4 Trails / Routes / Clubs
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 2010/09/02, 10:46 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •