Radical trails are a concern - Page 6

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by andre` View Post
    The problem is that the guys are led to believe their vehicles can go anywhere. For example Andrew St Pierre White takes a Disco 4 up Baboons and they only show the little dent on the door and not the other damage. If all the damage was known, the average guy would think twice before attempting it.

I see the guys that want to do Carnage Canyon as well. They see that we have done it but ignore the fact that we have spend R100k plus to prepare for that.
    My opinion exactly. Social media definitely encourages incorrect use of these vehicles.
    I have never seen a wild animal feeling sorry for itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Manny View Post
    Raymond, I don't want to get into a 'Pro-Rata' discussion as the Forum abhors the concept of 'Pro-Rata' as it proves Hiluxes & Fortuners are NOT High Risk.
    However, is the increase in damaged vehicles comensurate with your increasing client base?

If so, there is no issue...

PS: Did not read entire Thread so apologies if this point has been raised already...
    See # 38 above....disproportionally higher than new increase in client base

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond du Plessis View Post
    See # 38 above....disproportionally higher than new increase in client base
    What percentage are bakkies? 80%?

Quote Originally Posted by Christo Meissenheimer View Post
    This is why we have insurance
    http://4x4community.co.za/forum/show...98#post1808498

We know crossXcountry will came fetch the car , but we don't drive to kill the thing and then phone crossXcountry.

We had gearbox problems in Botswana a few years back when the selector was giving problems. We phoned crossxcountry , but likely we got it fixed in Botswana. If we didn't get it fixed , they would have fetch us and the Fortuner.

Also with the story about the Cruiser , we didn't leave it at Mana pools , we towed it to Harare to make it easier for them.

Christo Meissenheimer
    Respect to u Sir!

Quote Originally Posted by RynoB View Post
    Is this not a matter of the wrong (or right) way of thinking.
    Because you are insured the interpretation is that everything must be claimed because you pay your insurance to carry the risk.
    On my way to Gariep a 22 Wheeler pushed me of the road. Small visible damage to my caravan.
    At Gariep Dianne thought you can reverse over a street lamp with the Jeep.
    I claimed the Jeep' damage but as the visible damage to the caravan was very small I did not claim.
    Three months later we discovered that the caravan is cracking above the door.
    The small impact of the 22 wheeler loosened the struts holding the ‘Lift roof’ (correction)
    Water came in and the whole right hand side are full of wood rot. Damage six times more than what was claimed on the Jeep.
    It is too late to claim so I will have to pay the bill.
    Then at the Community Tuffstuff Fundi I scratched the Jeep out of pure stupidity. I did not claim as I know I was at fault and paid for the repairs myself.
    So my questions….. when do you claim? What will be the right thing to do. How can we (me) and my insurer get to a point where we both benefit?
    Please remember that you pay your premiums, you have the right to put in your claim. It is with respect that I note your commitment to an honourable relationship with your Insurer, but don't neglect you rights in terms of your policy.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbad View Post
    It could also be that more people are starting to use their 4x4s for what they have been designed for. More vehicles on trails will translate to more claims.
    I believe that sometimes the use exceeds the manufacturers specs or design intention

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    I think that if you have taken precautions to prevent cosmetic damage to your vehicle you'll have less claims than someone who has taken such precautions.

to give an example...

If you take a standard Wrangler Sahara to Atlantis dunes, you will be able to drive around all over the place.

IF you then decide to follow someone like Neil or Gunhog over some of the medium / low level obstacles - you will make it, but you WILL lose your stock bumper and side steps.

the same goes for most vehicles. the drive train will get you up a medium slip face, but the tupperware will stay at the bottom.

then there are the really rough bits - where you can have a good go at it, but you won't get over the top without some mods - but just trying will lose you even more bits.

to me, coming back from AD with your bumper and steps in the boot is a given, not an accident. (if you've tried the actual obstacles)

put on a set of sliders and steel bumpers etc - you will never take any damage unless you oaf completely and roll it, which is pretty rare.

I will lay long odds that insurances have spent way more money upgrading vehicles from 'expected' cosmetic damage than they have from genuine accidents resulting in total writeoffs....
    Do you know something

Quote Originally Posted by incrediblebob View Post
    I think I pay a lot for off road insurance,I do radical trails,I also take all precautions NOT to damage my 4x4,but things happen,if I'm in the poo,or damage my truck big time,then I expect 'service'.

I don't get any reduced premium payments for my experience,training or vehicle mods/protection.

I don't think I have one body panel that is not dented,scratched or 'used',windscreen is cracked-30cm long which I'm going to claim,otherwise my insurance is there for when I REALLY need it.

If I'm doing a radical trail and need help,believe me its 'cos I NEED it.

Otherwise we make a plan.

Doubt TS's bling Cruisers could get to where we need them anyway,we rely on each other
    Thanks BoB

Quote Originally Posted by Christo Meissenheimer View Post
    I think the broker and can break or make a insurance company. Your broker is the one that needs to send the correct equipment and in the rangers case he didn't . Stupid broker
    As I've personally learnt,contacting the right person/switchboard operator is very important.
    The average roadside assistance tel operator knows bogger all about recovering a 4x4,they are normally like any mass 'help centre',probably based in India or Caap Stad/ Province.

THATS why I deal with a broker,who also happens to use TS as cover,I call HIM,not a pimply switchboard door handle.
    A legend in his own mind

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post

If you take a standard Wrangler Sahara to Atlantis dunes, you will be able to drive around all over the place.

IF you then decide to follow someone like Neil or Gunhog over some of the medium / low level obstacles - you will make it, but you WILL lose your stock bumper and side steps.
    Its not like we don't warn them

ok, sometime we don't

I don't believe that trails are becoming more radical.
    I don't believe that drivers are becoming more gung-ho.
    I think that there are more 4x4 drivers driving trails because of social media, tv media, personal references etc. S.A. people are by nature outdoorsy and this is becoming a more popular way to enjoy our great outdoors. I do believe that many claims may be caused by insufficient driver training (when I bought my double cab/SUV they either did not offer complimentary training or I never thought I would need it so I did not attend).

I was offered complimentary 4x4 driver training and I did take advantage of the opportunity. I started driving "easy" trails, bypassing obstacles that looked like it may cause damage and slowly extended my experience base until I am now quite comfortable driving more difficult obstacles. My vehicle is a daily driver too and I take care of her the best I can.

I could suggest that insurers start offering 4x4 driver training if the person to be covered has never attended a course at a reduced cost or "free of charge" before the insurer will cover them in the off road/trail environment. This would at least reassure the insurer that the driver as well as the vehicle are capable and that the driver is at least aware of the vehicle and their limits. The driver would of course also benefit from the educational experience.
    '11 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unltd.

Quote Originally Posted by Disco-Deon View Post
    HEY!!! I shoulda been there, coulda got a new bumper hey China - no-one would admit that but I'm sure there are people who would do purposeful damage to get an upgrade.
    Damage while taking part in competitions of any kind is usually not covered.

According to Wiki: Gung ho is a term in American English used to mean "enthusiastic" or "dedicated". Nothing wrong with that.

Its different to being 'Reckless' as in: 'the salesman told me that this R400k double cab can go anywhere'

Quote Originally Posted by ThysleRoux View Post
    Damage while taking part in competitions of any kind is usually not covered.
    Raymond can correct me if I am wrong, but I think they do cover competitions, but not the timed events.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab

Quote Originally Posted by bfreesani View Post
    Raymond can correct me if I am wrong, but I think they do cover competitions, but not the timed events.
    That's my understanding. But I think that our idea of what constitutes timing is the problem.

Let me put it this way. I am seriously considering buying all sorts of protection for my Pajero before I have even thought about insurance because to me I am insured for an "accident" and not for repairs due to my own ego or ignorance of my vehicles capabilities, just so that I don't have to try and claim for stupidity. I do not expect to be covered for stupidity. Maybe I am unique but that's just the way I was brought up. Now tell me, does an insurance company do enough research on a potential client's track record and personality before setting the premiums or do they take the overall average of the universe and charge us the higher average instead of charging the high risk okes the higher premium? I know it is not an easy task but to me an incentive should be given to add protection to a vehicle in the case of 4x4 insurance (Its a pleasure Uys). My 2cw.
    2014 Pajero 3.2DiD SWB

I don't like competitions much as it does put you in a different "mode" compared to being out to just have FUN. When I did the last Bridgestone challenge, I only found out what my position was two weeks later. I went for the day out, to experience the track and have some FUN.

Ja I did give my rocksliders a good punt that inadvertently pushed my rear brake compensator off kilter. I am still struggling to get it adjusted back to what it should be. But this I fix my self. Besides I don't trust anyone else.

It was my fault, I knew it was going to happen, and instead of sacrificing a few points, I not only caused the damage, but got stuck on that rock and lost even more.

But FUN was had, and that is was what was planned for my day from the start.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab

Don't know about TS, but mine specifically excludes ANY competition driving.

Christo Meissenheimer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by incrediblebob View Post
    As I've personally learnt,contacting the right person/switchboard operator is very important.
    The average roadside assistance tel operator knows bogger all about recovering a 4x4,they are normally like any mass 'help centre',probably based in India or Caap Stad/ Province.

THATS why I deal with a broker,who also happens to use TS as cover,I call HIM,not a pimply switchboard door handle.
    We have two brokers numbers on our Sat phone. We know how they handle the cases and we know they are not stupid and they know what they are doing. One of the brokers is the broker who did both recoveries for the cruiser and the guys who Hilux broke in koakoland that they could not recovery and paid him out.

You must find out what is going on and what equipment is needed and they do that.

Christo Meissenheimer

Quote Originally Posted by bfreesani View Post
    I don't like competitions much as it does put you in a different "mode" compared to being out to just have FUN.
    If I were to drive like I do when I'm on my own, I would not be allowed to compete.

But then again I have never claimed for any 4x4 related damages (touch wood)

Jean

'98 Defender 90 2.8i aka "saad van die psigopaat"
    Defender - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0YKlc8Cwrs

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast