Radical trails are a concern - Page 5

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    Christo Meissenheimer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by XJ Junkie View Post
    Nah, we got it out, but XCountry couldn't. It was barely 3km's in.
    Do you know , who was the broker who was managing the recovery? I think that could play a big roll in how far the broker would go to help you.

Christo Meissenheimer

A few years ago on a River trip,a broker needed a flatbed to take his 4x4 home,we ended up recovering the flatbed.
    He DID request a 4x4 flatbed,'they' sent a road thingie..
    Point is,nufink actually
    A legend in his own mind

I don't have a clue who he was, but Tuffstuff made the plan, even though it wasn't their client

I have picked up cosmetic damage on more than one occasion on trails. My paint is now peeling off on the corners of the roof on the load bay section due to this, I did not claim.

I think there are way more "Tupperware" cars than say just 5 years ago and the the owners are not willing to take a certain responsibility for "petty" damages.

I bent my "rocksliders" soon after I got the Sani, but feel it was me that caused the damage and it just proved upgrading was needed. No claim.

Only claim I have had was for the drowning. And then the question of costs was an issue. Insurer enforced a NEW replacement engine from Nissan. Immediately the car got written off. I fought to get the cash and fixed it myself for a mere R13K where the insurer stopped quoting and wrote off at 65K and was still going strong on the costs.

I know some guys who will put in a claim for some bush rash on the tupperware without batting an eye. It is nice to know you are insured if you "fall over", but exercise the usual caution and accept a certain amount of the responsibility when things do go wrong.

Raymond, did I miss it, or did you post the type of claims you are getting. Is it more the "petty" things, or are we talking write off type claims?
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab

I think I pay a lot for off road insurance,I do radical trails,I also take all precautions NOT to damage my 4x4,but things happen,if I'm in the poo,or damage my truck big time,then I expect 'service'.

I don't get any reduced premium payments for my experience,training or vehicle mods/protection.

I don't think I have one body panel that is not dented,scratched or 'used',windscreen is cracked-30cm long which I'm going to claim,otherwise my insurance is there for when I REALLY need it.

If I'm doing a radical trail and need help,believe me its 'cos I NEED it.

Otherwise we make a plan.

Doubt TS's bling Cruisers could get to where we need them anyway,we rely on each other
    A legend in his own mind

Quote Originally Posted by galius View Post
    Ek sou sÍ die saak het twee kante:

Aan die eenkant het jy versekering om jou skade te dek maar aan die ander kant het ek ook die eties en morele plig om skade vir my as eienaar en vir die versekeraar te beperk.

Ek moet dus nie op plekke invaar wanneer ek goed weet ek loop die gevaar om helse probleme te kry nie.

En verder as dit in die eensaamheid gebeur moet jy dalk 3 dae wag op hulp en dit kan nogal moeilik wees as die waterkan leeg is.
    I agree fully. I have seen guys drunk as anything on a trail. There 4X4 was badly dammaged on front and rear standard bumpers. His comment was that now the insurance can pay for the upgrades on the bumpers.

That, to me, is totaly wrong. If I go for a trail I always make sure my car and ocupants are safe. I once dammaged my front bumper on a trail and repaired it myself. Now it looks even better than before. I stuffed it up why must someone else pay.

If there is a tyre that burst or something unforseen that cause dammage that is diferent. Then I will claim from insuranse.
    Me Defender TD5 110 (Betty Boob)
    Swambo Defender TD5 90 (Komba)
    VW Caddy (MINIROK)

Call me a sussie, chicken, or any other TOS prohibited remark, but my viewpoint is as follows:
    1) I walk and plan an opstical before attempting it.
    2) If it seems like I may damage my vehicle, I take the escape route. If not possible, I pack rocks...

Why? My vehicle is expensive and I bought it as a long distance traveller. Any damage to it may (directly or indirectly) effect the value and reliability of my vehicle.

Think it boils down to common sense. If you think you may damage it, chances are that you will. Rather do over than overdo.
    Fortuner 4.0v6 Auto - Awaiting new adventures (Summit4x4 Replacement B/Bar, Stofpad Bashplate, Gerbers LR tank(50l),Frontrunner towbar, Stonehill seat covers. Grabber AT's)
    Golf vii GTi DSG - (SWAMBO's new fly machine)
    BMW R1200 GSA LC
    Honda NC700x White - RIP
    Honda NC700x Silver - Saving the budget

At Rivertrip I walked away from an obstacle after I felt I was going to cause major damage...DVR Jnr, Willie, Herman and Ig was there...they all respected my decision. Had I damaged something I'm sure it would have been covered, but why take the chance?

Know your vehicle, know your limits, ignore Manny; simple as that
    IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!

Apparently I need to make the airplane noises like mommy does when I try to spoon feed you the info..

Quote Originally Posted by jadranko View Post
    4.are insurers looking in to "way out"
    Not at all. Simply asking and looking for some answers
    I have never seen a wild animal feeling sorry for itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostokkelos View Post
    Raymond, what type of damage do you see the most?
    Drive-train, under-carriage
    lower parts of bodies
    Front and rear end (entry and departure angles)

Quote Originally Posted by Pietsweis View Post
    I recon more and more people are doing it and the pressure is on to see what the vehicles can do and to prove that my bakkie is better than yours.
    I did touch on the issue (somewhere here) of pressure and the effect that social media has on this matter and the effect of our human competitive nature. Competition is good... but logic should prevail....I think.

I think the future compulsory training requirements is a good thing, however it is not going to teach people to drive offroad in a day or 2, It's not like you can fail a training session so it's not going to solve the problem but surely will help
    People will go out and push the limits and as a result damage will be done.
    I think there is nothing wrong with the trails and if you drown an engine for example because you did not walk or make sure it is doable then you should not put this on an insurer but take responsibility for a stupid mistake and handle it
    In red above

Quote Originally Posted by Sakkie View Post
    Raymond, it would be very interesting to know how many of these occurrences were the result of ego and/or peer pressure......you know, the "Jy's 'n pissie" factor....or "Jou {fit what you like} is useless man!!" And of course the infamous "Hou vas my dop en check hierdie move"
    I do not think that we will ever really be able to find this out

Quote Originally Posted by ThysleRoux View Post
    Agreed - maybe the circumstances should be investigated properly for each case. Whether the true story will ever be told is a concern, though.
    Rest assured, claims are looked into as best insurers can. Insurers depend completely on what they are told by the client and as such complete trust in what they are given is what must accepted by them in settling a claim.

Quote Originally Posted by All -in -one View Post
    Do you leave your house unlocked when you go out, just because you have insurance?
    same principle

I think we all have to be realistic about what we TRY do, I for one (after the AAWDC fun day) have decided that I will not subject my vehicle to that type of punishment again (yeah, so I am a pissie) The next time I do that type of serious obstacles is AFTER some decent off road training, or I can afford a dedicated CHEAP vehicle to do this type of thing with
    I must agree here. At the obstacle where we were at (#5) a few 4x4's left their rear bumpers dangling upon exiting. .

Until then I am doing the yawn fest type courses (as Manny calls them)
    I red above

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanvn View Post
    Thats not the point I am trying to make.

I don't go out to damage my vehicle. But I pay my premium monthly, and if I understand it correctly TuffStuff covers us for full off road use with some exclusions.

Is it unreasonable to be reassured that if something goes wrong and I damage or roll or drown my vehicle TuffStuff should cover me?
    Yes, you pay your premium and as such in both instances you are absolutely correct to reasonably be assured that you will have cover but always in accordance with what the policy conditions stipulate.

If not then why am I with them?
    In red above

Quote Originally Posted by 4.0 TURBO WJ View Post
    Need a bit more details as to what is being claimed, but as they say its the name of the game, we pay the premium , the insurer takes the risk , we have peace of mind that if the paw paw hits the fan we are covered. Policy does not state where i may drive or not, if i overland and drive my jeep into one of (IS IT) Burundi's infamous truck destroyed mud roads and i put a brandewyn stain on the jeep then when i return i claim , cant be told the trail was to radical, but i do feel for Raymond , where do they pull the line?
    This is a good point here. Damaging your 4x4 while travelling outside the borders as you describe here, is exactly what TUFFSTUFF and CROSS COUNTRY is all about. Be it a brannewyn stain or worse is not the point, but rather the purpose of what this cover is about.

I am with CROSS COUNTRY , enjoy the challenge of a radical trail, no my boundaries as i have to drive the jeep home again , but if needed they are their for me to recover or to repair.
    No issue here.

Problem is if i breakdown in the sticks how do they get that recovery truck in to get my priced toy out, i think that is what Raymond is trying to get at, we play hard but they sit with the baked potato as to how do they recover said client that phones him up and say i am stuck, its your baby to recover i pay my premium for the said serves.
    If my memory does not fail me, TUFFSTUFF has never left anyone stranded.

I think if we play hard we need to assist them as well to get our toys to a point where they can assist easily.
    On a reason t dunes trip one of the attendees stripped a diff, CROSS COUNTRY was prepared to recover the vehicle out on the dunes , but we declined and towed it to Bilene , they collected it the next day and delivered to the mans workshop, no problem , he extremely happy , sure they were pleases as to not have to go the extra mile to have to hire a recovery truck to drive out on the beach to the dunes to go recover the hilux,
    think we must if possible assist our insurers and they will go that extra mile for us.
    Thanks for an open approach to this matter. Refreshing

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond du Plessis View Post
    At the obstacle where we were at (#5) a few 4x4's left their rear bumpers dangling upon exiting.
    HEY!!! I shoulda been there, coulda got a new bumper hey China - no-one would admit that but I'm sure there are people who would do purposeful damage to get an upgrade.
    Stay Safe
    Disco-Deon
    This morning I woke up,
    Making today a great day.
    Nerdy, 2011 Honda Jazz, 1500 Exc

Christo Meissenheimer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by incrediblebob View Post
    A few years ago on a River trip,a broker needed a flatbed to take his 4x4 home,we ended up recovering the flatbed.
    He DID request a 4x4 flatbed,'they' sent a road thingie..
    Point is,nufink actually
    I think the broker and can break or make a insurance company. Your broker is the one that needs to send the correct equipment and in the rangers case he didn't . Stupid broker

Quote Originally Posted by galius View Post
    Ek sou sÍ die saak het twee kante:

Aan die eenkant het jy versekering om jou skade te dek maar aan die ander kant het ek ook die eties en morele plig om skade vir my as eienaar en vir die versekeraar te beperk.

Ek moet dus nie op plekke invaar wanneer ek goed weet ek loop die gevaar om helse probleme te kry nie.

En verder as dit in die eensaamheid gebeur moet jy dalk 3 dae wag op hulp en dit kan nogal moeilik wees as die waterkan leeg is.
    Dankie

Quote Originally Posted by Christo Meissenheimer View Post
    I think the broker and can break or make a insurance company. Your broker is the one that needs to send the correct equipment and in the rangers case he didn't . Stupid broker
    Unless the broker had access to something like this, then he'd be pretty stumped

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast