Radical trails are a concern - Page 2

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanvn View Post
    Is that not why we have insurance in the first place?

Any insurance, ex life insurance, home etc.
    Do you leave your house unlocked when you go out, just because you have insurance?

I think we all have to be realistic about what we TRY do, I for one (after the AAWDC fun day) have decided that I will not subject my vehicle to that type of punishment again (yeah, so I am a pissie) The next time I do that type of serious obstacles is AFTER some decent off road training, or I can afford a dedicated CHEAP vehicle to do this type of thing with

Until then I am doing the yawn fest type courses (as Manny calls them)
    Alan

Defender on Steroid's (Sadly sold)
    Previous: Pajero 3.5 V6 (Gas Guzzler)
    Series 3 109 SW (Tortoise)
    Platkar Ford Fiesta 1.6tdi (Swambo's present)

Quote Originally Posted by All -in -one View Post
    Do you leave your house unlocked when you go out, just because you have insurance?

I think we all have to be realistic about what we TRY do, I for one (after the AAWDC fun day) have decided that I will not subject my vehicle to that type of punishment again (yeah, so I am a pissie) The next time I do that type of serious obstacles is AFTER some decent off road training, or I can afford a dedicated CHEAP vehicle to do this type of thing with

Until then I am doing the yawn fest type courses (as Manny calls them)
    Thats not the point I am trying to make.

I don't go out to damage my vehicle. But I pay my premium monthly, and if I understand it correctly TuffStuff covers us for full off road use with some exclusions.

Is it unreasonable to be reassured that if something goes wrong and I damage or roll or drown my vehicle TuffStuff should cover me?

If not then why am I with them?
    Jeep Wrangler TJ
    Volvo XC60
    Amarok AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Uys View Post
    Thys, die versekeraars is een van die culprits!

My BMW is nou in vir 'n ligte ou oopsie wat ek gemaak het. Regter agterste fender teen 'n ou geel paaltjie liggies , baie liggies laat raak.

Kwotasie om dit reg te maak R9500. Versekeraar dring aan daarop dat ek 'n BMW goed gekeurde paneel klopper gebruik, onthou, dis 'n ligte krappie, niks strukturele skade nie. Koste R54000!!!

En voor die kar nog reggemaak is kry ek n brief oor my "loss ratio" wat nou hoog raak, maar dit was hulle besluit?
    Ek stem saam, Uys en die vervaardigers/dealers speel saam want hulle hoop om 'n nuwe voertuig te verkoop as een afgeskryf word. Ek dink hier spesifiek aan 'n sekere Jimny wat afgeskryf is omdat Suzuki 'n fortuin wou h om seker te maak daar is geen skade aan die enjin nie. Die ding het op sy sy gedop teen ongeveer 0 km/h. ( Ek probeer nie die forumlid/eienaar f die versekeraar van enigiets beskuldig nie - ek noem maar die geval as 'n voorbeeld) Op die lang duur kos dit egter almal wat versekering uitneem meer, want versekering is 'n besigheid en hulle moet geld maak.

5. Users have more piece of mind because of their insurance.
    +1

Need a bit more details as to what is being claimed, but as they say its the name of the game, we pay the premium , the insurer takes the risk , we have peace of mind that if the paw paw hits the fan we are covered. Policy does not state where i may drive or not, if i overland and drive my jeep into one of (IS IT) Burundi's infamous truck destroyed mud roads and i put a brandewyn stain on the jeep then when i return i claim , cant be told the trail was to radical, but i do feel for Raymond , where do they pull the line?
    I am with CROSS COUNTRY , enjoy the challenge of a radical trail, no my boundaries as i have to drive the jeep home again , but if needed they are their for me to recover or to repair.
    Problem is if i breakdown in the sticks how do they get that recovery truck in to get my priced toy out, i think that is what Raymond is trying to get at, we play hard but they sit with the baked potato as to how do they recover said client that phones him up and say i am stuck, its your baby to recover i pay my premium for the said serves.
    I think if we play hard we need to assist them as well to get our toys to a point where they can assist easily.
    On a reason t dunes trip one of the attendees stripped a diff, CROSS COUNTRY was prepared to recover the vehicle out on the dunes , but we declined and towed it to Bilene , they collected it the next day and delivered to the mans workshop, no problem , he extremely happy , sure they were pleases as to not have to go the extra mile to have to hire a recovery truck to drive out on the beach to the dunes to go recover the hilux,
    think we must if possible assist our insurers and they will go that extra mile for us.
    05 TJ SAHARA
    08 3.8 JK ULTD RUBICON

I think insurers should reward/penalize offroad drivers more. If you dont claim for several years, decrease the monthly payments. If you claim your 4th vehicle in 2 years you should be paying 10times what I pay. If there is no financial risk involved in damaging your car you are not going to be careful...
    2011 Fortuner 3.0 D4D 4x4 A/T white (2012 model)
    EFS Suspension

Member of 4x4 Action Group #GP0079

Ek sou s die saak het twee kante:

Aan die eenkant het jy versekering om jou skade te dek maar aan die ander kant het ek ook die eties en morele plig om skade vir my as eienaar en vir die versekeraar te beperk.

Ek moet dus nie op plekke invaar wanneer ek goed weet ek loop die gevaar om helse probleme te kry nie.

En verder as dit in die eensaamheid gebeur moet jy dalk 3 dae wag op hulp en dit kan nogal moeilik wees as die waterkan leeg is.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris83 View Post
    I think insurers should reward/penalize offroad drivers more. If you dont claim for several years, decrease the monthly payments. If you claim your 4th vehicle in 2 years you should be paying 10times what I pay. If there is no financial risk involved in damaging your car you are not going to be careful...
    There need not be a financial risk to create awareness and caution with drivers. There are other factors besides financial, such as inconvenience that also plays a role. The fact that I am insured for offroading does not negate my responsibility to play cautiously.

I take for example my recent "escapade". I damaged some tupperware on Saturday at de Wildt which I have never driven before. So, to make sure I know what I am getting myself into, I attended a previous trip to de Wildt with two other forum members. I took photographs and videos and studied them carefully. If I felt my obligation was nullified by the fact that I have insurance, I would not have done this.

I do agree that there are plenty of people who do feel that that is what they are insured for, but I still think the majority of us measure up the challenge to the capability of our vehicles, and ourselves, and just sometimes, it happens that a minor miscalculation seeps in.

This all said however, I am sure Raymond and the team at TuffStuff quite often have their hands full with outrageous claims...

On a less, but also more serious note, I see the claim forms have an area where I am supposed to sketch the accident. Raymond, can you confirm if this is sufficient?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Jaco
    2004 Defender DCPU TD5 - BRUTUS
    Bullbar | Winch | Snorkel | Dual Battery | Long Range | Water Tank | Alu Canopy | Snomaster 66L Dual Fridge/Freezer | Awning | Packing System | Roof Rack | Spare Swing Bracket | Warn Spots | Rear Air Helpers | 265/75/16 Maxxis Bighorn | Terrafirma Steering Rods | Front Detroit Trutrac Locker | Rear Detroit Full Locker
    2005 Disco 2 TD5 - LOLLOS a.k.a SWAMBO's Taxi
    Burnco Bullbar | Cooper Discoverers
    4X4AG - GP 0181
    2016 Jurgens Safari Xplorer - BOSSIE

Quote Originally Posted by JvZweel View Post
    There need not be a financial risk to create awareness and caution with drivers. There are other factors besides financial, such as inconvenience that also plays a role. The fact that I am insured for offroading does not negate my responsibility to play cautiously.

I take for example my recent "escapade". I damaged some tupperware on Saturday at de Wildt which I have never driven before. So, to make sure I know what I am getting myself into, I attended a previous trip to de Wildt with two other forum members. I took photographs and videos and studied them carefully. If I felt my obligation was nullified by the fact that I have insurance, I would not have done this.

I do agree that there are plenty of people who do feel that that is what they are insured for, but I still think the majority of us measure up the challenge to the capability of our vehicles, and ourselves, and just sometimes, it happens that a minor miscalculation seeps in.

This all said however, I am sure Raymond and the team at TuffStuff quite often have their hands full with outrageous claims...

On a less, but also more serious note, I see the claim forms have an area where I am supposed to sketch the accident. Raymond, can you confirm if this is sufficient?
    Sign it "picasso" and sell it for a Million!.
    looks ok to me
    I have never seen a wild animal feeling sorry for itself.

Quote Originally Posted by biltong View Post
    Me thinks it is a combination of many things.

1. Vehicles are not as capable with most having IFS.
    2. Drivers are not experienced enough
    3. But they give in to MadManny to try things they should not.
    Phixed!
    Toyota Fortuner 4.0 V6 4x4 Auto

"So really , you are not so smart , you are a old Oomie that has to much time on his hands" - Christo Meisenheimer

I think you sum it up nicely, I am sure most forum members are cautious off road drivers, but I don't feel ashamed to be reassured because I have insurance, that why I have it

Nice drawing
    Jeep Wrangler TJ
    Volvo XC60
    Amarok AWD

Raymond another thing that might help is giving an incentive for vehicle protection.

If someone has off road bumpers, rock sliders, snorkel, skid plates etc your chances of minor claims will be greatly reduced.
    Jeep Wrangler TJ
    Volvo XC60
    Amarok AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Chris83 View Post
    Or a IN bonus
    Last edited by Flagster; 2013/08/20 at 11:25 AM.

Yeah if I didnt claim, give me a bonus
    I also like the idea of giving incentives for vehicle protection accessories, would help me with budget negotiations with the government!
    Why else spend 30k on vehicle protection accessories if I could just claim the damage from the insurance? It's a lot of money if the only counter argument is "inconvenience".
    Last edited by Chris83; 2013/08/20 at 11:34 AM.
    2011 Fortuner 3.0 D4D 4x4 A/T white (2012 model)
    EFS Suspension

Member of 4x4 Action Group #GP0079

I recognise that obstacle (where Jeeps were scared to tread) from the day I went through with the D3 - a long, long time ago.
    Stay Safe
    Disco-Deon
    This morning I woke up,
    Making today a great day.
    Nerdy, 2011 Honda Jazz, 1500 Exc

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanvn View Post
    Raymond another thing that might help is giving an incentive for vehicle protection.

If someone has off road bumpers, rock sliders, snorkel, skid plates etc your chances of minor claims will be greatly reduced.
    Ek dink dis n briljante plan...
    Everything is a hammer.
    Unless it is a screw driver.

Then it it a chisel.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond du Plessis View Post
    An ever increasing number of vehicles are being damaged on trails and the question to be asked is;
    1. are the trails becoming more radical......or
    2. are drivers becoming more gung-ho ?
    Are the number of vehicles being insured increasing? Does it not offset the numbers? The activity itself is growing rapidly.
    Ross

Quote Originally Posted by RMackay View Post
    Are the number of vehicles being insured increasing? Does it not offset the numbers? The activity itself is growing rapidly.
    disproportionate to the increase in 4x4's being insured
    I have never seen a wild animal feeling sorry for itself.

10% afslag op premie as jy Stofpad produkte het, 5% vir die res?
    Jeep Wrangler TJ
    Volvo XC60
    Amarok AWD

Jy sal so dink
    2004 Defender TD5
    1992 Defender 3.5V8
    PROJECT OVERHAUL http://4x4community.co.za/forum/show...oject+overhaul

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast