Trying to decide

Default Trying to decide

Need advice, been looking to trade in my Terracan on either a Patrol or a Pathfinder.

I have my heart pulling me in the direction of a particular Patrol, it's a 2005 3l diesel has 142000km on the clock. R180k from major dealership.

So a few questions, does that price seem reasonable?

What are the things I should be keeping an eye out for?

The only regret with my purchase of the Terracan was not fitting a lift kit as soon as I bought it. Would it be worth while doing this on either the Patrol or Pathfinder straight off the bat?
    Devin

2009 Volvo XC60 D5 Auto (Sold )

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Payne View Post
    Need advice, been looking to trade in my Terracan on either a Patrol or a Pathfinder.

I have my heart pulling me in the direction of a particular Patrol, it's a 2005 3l diesel has 142000km on the clock. R180k from major dealership.

So a few questions, does that price seem reasonable?

What are the things I should be keeping an eye out for?

The only regret with my purchase of the Terracan was not fitting a lift kit as soon as I bought it. Would it be worth while doing this on either the Patrol or Pathfinder straight off the bat?
    1) You won't need a lift kit on a Patrol
    2) The Nissan 3L diesel was called the ZD30 and before 2003 that engine had some issues. This one is on 142k Kms and should have the new ECU programming and later AFM.
    3) The price seems high, but one or two guys on the forum have access to the pricebook tool. I would phone up somebody like InpsectaCar and ask them what the trade-in and retail values are for this spec vehicle, they provide that info over the phone
    4) Don't buy the Pathfinder unless you want another softroader
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

DJ, I disagree with Jelo. The Patrol has a very long wheelbase, and as a result can ground the belly on crests. If you want to use it for trails etc. I would fit a lift, or a decent skidplate (go look on www.patrol4x4.co.za).

If you want to use it mainly for overlanding, and expect to carry heavy loads, you could consider air helpers in your standard coils.

Things to look out for: if there is an EGT gauge fitted, that would score big positive points for me. Otherwise, just as with any car check that everything works properly, in particular the diff lock.

I think a Pathy with a decent suspension kit can make a very competent and comfortable overlander. PM Dieselfan. He has just upgraded to a Patrol, but was very fond of his Pathy, considering it better in many respects to the Disco 3.
    1996 Patrol 4.2SGL with lots of stuff to make it heavier and thus increase traction?

Well I went to the dealer and we now just talking numbers. They've offered me a "decent" trade in value on my Terracan. Just waiting to see how the finance offers are going to turn out. Fingers crossed.
    Devin

2009 Volvo XC60 D5 Auto (Sold )

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Connan View Post
    DJ, I disagree with Jelo. The Patrol has a very long wheelbase, and as a result can ground the belly on crests. If you want to use it for trails etc. I would fit a lift, or a decent skidplate (go look on www.patrol4x4.co.za).

If you want to use it mainly for overlanding, and expect to carry heavy loads, you could consider air helpers in your standard coils.

Things to look out for: if there is an EGT gauge fitted, that would score big positive points for me. Otherwise, just as with any car check that everything works properly, in particular the diff lock.

I think a Pathy with a decent suspension kit can make a very competent and comfortable overlander. PM Dieselfan. He has just upgraded to a Patrol, but was very fond of his Pathy, considering it better in many respects to the Disco 3.
    A STANDARD Patrol will go where a STANDARD Pathy can not........

If you go doing trails from rating 3 upwards, then sure you need a lift and cranked suspension arms front and rear.

Then I'd run 35s on a Patrol anyway.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Not arguing that. It's only one of the reasons I drive a Patrol (with a lift). But that wasn't really the OP's question either?

I would not consider 35's on any 'troll with standard gearing other than a 4.8. It's got a high-ish low ratio, which makes it the king of dunes, but I am not fortunate enough to live in the desert, so I drive mainly rocks. There are lower low range gears available, but that's big money if you spend in Rands.
    1996 Patrol 4.2SGL with lots of stuff to make it heavier and thus increase traction?