Monroe shocks NOT for off road use.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thumbs down Monroe shocks NOT for off road use.

Hi.

5 Months ago I fitted Monroe Gas Magnum shocks to my Hilux.
    One of the shocks started to leak oil so I took it back to Autozone to have it replaced under warranty.

While they had no problem exchanging the shock they did however ask my if I ever used the shock in an off road environment, as this would "void the warranty because these are road shocks".

When I asked him to define "off road", he said, "anything worse than smooth gravel".

This is just a heads-up to let everyone know that Monroe Gas Magnum shocks are not suitable for 4x4 use, so don't make the same mistake as I did.

Regards,

I have the same shocks fitted to my Bakkie. no leaks so far.
    B.T.W..
    My friend just (2hours ago) had 4 Safari Gabriel's fitted to his '05 Colt @Solly's in Nigel (Baboo 011 814 3680) for R1180. Yes that is for all 4 fitted.
    Last edited by SUZITIAAN; 2013/08/16 at 02:51 PM. Reason: edit

Are there different Monroe shocks for a hilux then? I Thought the shocks should meet the requirements of the type of vehicle it's going to be mounted on except if it's a universal shock
    (SUPERCHARGED ZOMBIE ZOOK)
    (DEFENDER 130 300HP V8 "MR PUGLY")
    (LC 80 VX 1HDFT TOURER)

--->YouTube channel<---
    Hendri Mouton (Zombie)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandboarder View Post
    Are there different Monroe shocks for a hilux then? I Thought the shocks should meet the requirements of the type of vehicle it's going to be mounted on except if it's a universal shock
    They fit on a Hilux but can not be used for off roading.
    Rather look at other manufacturers that specifically state their shocks are for off road use.

They are taking you for a ride, there is no way they can state only smooth roads. The Monroes I fitted to my Pajero come with a 3 year unlimited km warranty. (4x4 Adventure). No mention of conditions.
    2014 Pajero 3.2DiD SWB

And you trust a counter jockey in a spares shop as opposed to confirming with the manufacturer.

I suggest you might take the time to call Monroe directly. They are a decent bunch of guys who won't mislead you in anyway.

Just a suggestion before .........

If you've given the make model etc, they should give you the shocks that has been specified for the vehicle. If you say its a Hilux 4.0 V6 4x4, and they give you shocks that leaks after a month, after you've been offroad and the retailer tells you the shocks can't be used offroad, its their issue, you said its a 4x4, they should know what that mean....And provide the goods that should perform properly when fitted to the vehicle. They taking chances....
    Toyota Hilux 30 KZ-TE 4x4
    Toyota Conquest 1.3 Sport
    Toyota Corrolla 140i
    Opel Corsa pickup - Cuzzans Property
    ORRA X208

Quote Originally Posted by hedjudd View Post
    And you trust a counter jockey in a spares shop as opposed to confirming with the manufacturer.

I suggest you might take the time to call Monroe directly. They are a decent bunch of guys who won't mislead you in anyway.

Just a suggestion before .........
    It was the manager, not the counter jockey (a very derogitory term for someone working for a living b.t.w.).

I did not buy the shocks from Monroe, but from Autozone. I never said Monroe misled me. If the outlets are misinformed about the products it is not the customer's duty to contact the manufacturer.

just read the Monroe warranty and it lists fair use specifically stating that you only void it if the vehicle was used for a purpose for which it was not designed.
    including rally or racing sports

A 4x4 is clearly designed to go off road (if not do heavy trial work) which means that if it is the correct model listed for your vehicle then the Monroe shocks is covered under warranty

http://www.monroe.com/files/2713/716...anty_terms.pdf

The m4441 magnum shock is listed as the standard shock for up to 2005 4x4 Hilux
    Last edited by Veneficus; 2013/08/19 at 09:01 AM.
    2007 Subaru Forester 2.5XT
    Forester nutter here so watch out

Please remember that I think I'm funny
    (most people don't agree)
    thus take 90% of what I post with 2 pinches of salt

Ek het my shocks nou 4 jaar op en glo my, was op baie rowwe plekke(Richtersveld, Bots, Namibie, Mozambiek, en laas jaar Zim deur die Limpopo to bo by Vic valle en tot nou toe geen probleem nie..en dit met vol vrag...............
    2012: Triton 3,2 DC 4 x 4 (Simson, soos gedoop in die Namib woestyn);

2006: Colt Rodeo 2.8 DC 4 x 4 (Moses die eerste, soos gedoop in die Limpopo)

We come into this world with nothing and we leave this world with nothing..........................

Set of monroes on triton lasted 9 months, 90% gravel/off-road
    Set of monroes on Pajero, lasted about 7 months, 80% gravel/off-road

So I agree they are not for off-road use, but think for a vehicle which does mostly tar and some gravel now and then they are good value for money.

my personal experience.
    Walter aka "Meerkat"
    slightly modded 02' 105 series 1FZ-FE
    https://www.facebook.com/kepanamibia/

My heart beats to an African Bush drum...

Walter, in your experience, what should we look at instead?

Take only pictures, leave only tyre prints.
    www.intelliserve.co.za

Gareth, I think it comes down to what you use your vehicle for, and I think to a certain extent also on your vehicle itself.

After the Monroes on the Triton died, we fitted OME, huge improvement and so far no issues.

After the monroes on the pajero gave up, I fitted Kubu's, great shock, they are in the pajero just over 5 years now, still running.

But both the OME and Kubu are designed as a "heavy duty" shock aimed at the off-roading/overlanding crowd. So I would look at something designed in that direction or for that use in mind.
    Walter aka "Meerkat"
    slightly modded 02' 105 series 1FZ-FE
    https://www.facebook.com/kepanamibia/

My heart beats to an African Bush drum...

Is the Monroe 4x4 shock not called the Monroe Adventure?

I fitted them recently - will see if I have the box still for a picture. If I recall correctly, the fitment centre assured me they'll be replaced if broken.

They've been running on my Pajero for a few months. Done some off roading. No problems yet.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitsubishi Pajero Gen4 3.2 DiD SWB Auto - the Squeek, Rattle and Shudder Mobile (almost all fixed!)
    Goodyear Wrangler ATSA Tyres
    Stofpad4x4 50mm Spacer Lift
    Stofpad4x4 Front Bashplate
    Stofpad4x4 Rock Sliders
    Llumar Smash & Grab Window Tint
    Dual Battery

I also fitted the 4x4 Adventures and was told they come with an unlimited km warranty. I hope I don't need to use it though
    2014 Pajero 3.2DiD SWB

Unlimited km's?

Is it not 100,000km?

Mitsubishi Pajero Gen4 3.2 DiD SWB Auto - the Squeek, Rattle and Shudder Mobile (almost all fixed!)
    Stofpad4x4 Rock Sliders
    Dual Battery

KurtG, for how long have you had the 4x4 Adventures?

Stofpad4x4 Rock Sliders
    Dual Battery

Only about 3 weeks and one hectic trail. They are imported shocks, hence the price. They are supported by Tenneco in PE so I am confident of support
    2014 Pajero 3.2DiD SWB

Christo Meissenheimer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AboutAfrica View Post
    Gareth, I think it comes down to what you use your vehicle for, and I think to a certain extent also on your vehicle itself.

After the Monroes on the Triton died, we fitted OME, huge improvement and so far no issues.

After the monroes on the pajero gave up, I fitted Kubu's, great shock, they are in the pajero just over 5 years now, still running.

But both the OME and Kubu are designed as a "heavy duty" shock aimed at the off-roading/overlanding crowd. So I would look at something designed in that direction or for that use in mind.
    Walter het julle dalk al Koni shock gehardloop op een van julle voertuie in Namib.
    Ek dink Koni is nogal een shock wat nie somer sal breuk nie , ons het nou oor die 100000km op ons sin. Het een shock verloor net nadat ons 100000km geslaan het. Steve van Koni kon nie verstaan hoekom nie , hulle vervang letterlik net 3-5shock 'n jaar van al die shocks wat hulle verkoop. Hulle het ook die ander drie shocks getoets om te kyk of hulle gediens moes word en hulle was nog so goed soos nuut. Hulle het die shock vervang teen kos prys wat 'n R1800-00 was , hulle kos omtrent so R2500 per shock gewoonlik. Ek dink Koni se prys skrik almal af , maar jy gaan nooit weer shocks hoef te vervang nie , want jy diens hulle net.

Koni is nog net nie so groot in SA nie , maar hulle het , hulleself al lankal bewys oorsee ens.

Christo Meissenheimer

Quote Originally Posted by Christo Meissenheimer View Post
    Hulle het die shock vervang teen kos prys wat 'n R1800-00 was , hulle kos omtrent so R2500 per shock gewoonlik. Ek dink Koni se prys skrik almal af , maar jy gaan nooit weer shocks hoef te vervang nie , want jy diens hulle net.
    ek verstaan wat jy bedoel maar hoekom moes jy dan R1800 betaal om die een wat ge fail het the fix?
    2007 Subaru Forester 2.5XT
    Forester nutter here so watch out

Please remember that I think I'm funny
    (most people don't agree)
    thus take 90% of what I post with 2 pinches of salt

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast