Defenders are unreliable... - Page 4





Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 151
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    JHB
    Age
    33
    Posts
    243
    Thanked: 119

    Default

    My 2c to this thread about certain cars being unreliable.

    Nobody wakes up at 3 am to type on internet forum about how great their car is, but when things have gone wrong it's online.

    There must be millions of defenders out there all doing their own thing with no issues.

    People only talk about the bad stuff.
    2017 Honda Jazz 1.2
    EX: 2011 Ford Ranger 3.0 TDCi D/C
    Ex: 2008 X3 2.0d

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fourways Gardens
    Age
    40
    Posts
    3,611
    Thanked: 679

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    That is one in how many that had such extreme problems.

    funny you should mention, I have been driving between Pretoria and your area quite often lately with my 130 without any problems. In November my 130 was the only land rover entered into the 4x4 day in aid of huis spitskoppe. I drove the nearly 1000kms there, joined in the 4x4 day where I completed all of the obstacles without a problem except for the last one where I hung myself on my chassis and needed the tractor to pull me off. The next day I drove the nearly 1000kms back to Pretoria.

    I also went back to Murraysburg on the 13th December fully loaded and towing a double axle 2t trailer also fully loaded with furniture from Pretoria. I returned to Pretoria with the empty trailer behind the 130 on Tuesday the 16th as I had to work the rest of that week. On Friday the 19th I returned to Murraysburg with the 130 again fully loaded although not towing the trailer this time.

    You will see the 130 parked in the street opposite my house in Church str for the rest of the holiday until my return to Pretoria on the 3rd Jan. Please stop by, I'll even offer you a cold one, and I'ĺl show you the Puma is not a bad vehicle.
    Johan I think reliability has a lot to do with driving style, and you know how to drive a Defender. I can think of a few people who have had endless (heating) issues until they sold their Pumas, who in my opinion don't know how to drive diesels.

    Defender Puma Raw Limited Edition
    Series III 88"
    Scout Nomad


    Chop your own firewood and it will warm you twice

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Randburg
    Age
    56
    Posts
    1,810
    Thanked: 8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ClaudeG View Post
    Johan I think reliability has a lot to do with driving style, and you know how to drive a Defender. I can think of a few people who have had endless (heating) issues until they sold their Pumas, who in my opinion don't know how to drive diesels.
    Agreed, and the sins of the previous owner (his bad driving style) may only become evident much later.

    As for overheating and V 8's, mine was due to years of bad maintenance, being topped up with water and/or the wrong antifreeze, and not a fault of the vehicle as such. I think most V 8 problems may have a similar history.
    "Do not try to win over the idiots - you are not the Jerk Whisperer.."

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Tesselaarsdal (dis inni Kaap!)
    Age
    59
    Posts
    1,100
    Thanked: 1128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GENERAL JELLY View Post
    I think once Land Rover is in your blood,there is no other way.....
    Its a disease-an incurable one!
    "ASK YOURSELF HOW OLD YOU'D BE IF YOU DIDN'T KNOW THE DATE YOU WERE BORN" - Toby Keith

    1959 SII 88"
    196? S2B FC "Over Lander" Camper
    1975 Land Rover Air-Portable Lightweight
    197? RRC
    2002 Defender Td5 D/C
    AND SWAMBO's Unmentionable Abomination

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    55
    Posts
    782
    Thanked: 143

    Default

    Defenders can be great cars (I still own a Series) BUT they are absolutely lethal in a roll over and the latest lot have THE worst internal ergonomics ever put in any car - they're actually worse than my Series. Truth is, the Defender is a fantastic machine but as it now stands, its long past its sell by date.
    Last edited by Clem; 2015/02/21 at 03:50 PM.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    56
    Posts
    3,125
    Thanked: 87

    Default

    Clem
    Compare the defender - either current or back to '96

    to the only other comparison in terns of simplicity which is the toyota 76 or whatever it is called

    Roll both of them and I dought there is a difference

    But lets not let facts destroy the myth that the defender is a killer of note

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    49
    Posts
    7,025
    Thanked: 988

    Default

    There is no safe car in a rollover, unless there is a cage.

    I believe the input from TATA has been excellent. I'm not sure about the design of the new Discovery range, but will see when we see it in the flesh.
    LR has become a lot more reliable since bmw ruined the Freelander and ford stuck their oil leaking badge on Discoveries.
    Stay Safe
    Disco-Deon
    This morning I woke up,
    Making today a great day.
    Nerdy, 2011 Honda Jazz, 1500 Exc

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    WC
    Posts
    133
    Thanked: 12

    Default

    We did a 4500km round trip in a td5 90 and around the halfway mark/furthest point from home she started spluttering in the middle of the karoo on 4 cylinders.....I tried everything, filters, harness, alles, but to no avail along the road.....But guess what ? ...She took us home gracefully and safely !!!!!!!

  9. #69
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    56
    Posts
    3,125
    Thanked: 87

    Default

    DD

    Somewhere on this forum is a pic of a D2 that rolled in bots - I think on the road north out of Maun - while towing a trailer / caravan
    The pic is of the disco on its roof
    I recall that the OP on that said doors opened normally but one window cracked and that after a multiple revolution rollover

    The disco's arent the issue I dont think

    Again let the rumours go on it makes them cheaper for people like me who wouldnt mind having a defender as well

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fourways Gardens
    Age
    40
    Posts
    3,611
    Thanked: 679

    Default

    My sister rolled a 110 TD5 at 110km/h into a ditch on the side of road. BIL driving behind witnessed whole event. With some help of bystanders put it back on all fours, put it into low range reversed it out the ditch, continued on their journey without a scratch.

    On this forum, opinions are based on one very unfortunate incident. However, statistically Defenders are one of the safest vehicles on the road due to traveling speeds.

    Defender Puma Raw Limited Edition
    Series III 88"
    Scout Nomad


    Chop your own firewood and it will warm you twice

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Windhoek
    Age
    58
    Posts
    1,735
    Thanked: 719

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clem View Post
    Defenders can be great cars (I still own a Series) BUT they are absolutely lethal in a roll over and the latest lot have THE worst internal ergonomics ever put in any car - they're actually worse than my Series. Truth is, the Defender is a fantastic machine but as it now stands, its long past its sell by date.
    This is what a "modern" vehicle looks like after it has rolled .......

    Johan 8)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2011 Daihatsu Terios 4x4
    2018 Isuzu KB300 Double Cab 4x4 Auto

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    55
    Posts
    782
    Thanked: 143

    Default

    Guys, you can always find a photo of any car that looks like the devil after an accident - even an S Class Mercedes. But that doesn't change the fact that the Defender has an exceptionally weak roof structure by modern standards and is a fundamentally unsafe machine. That's why they've been banned in the US for so long. I haven't got a dog in this fight and I don't really care whether you believe it or not. It's your (or your family's) life and its your call. Suffice to say at least one person on this forum lost his wife and son because of that weak roof structure.

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    55
    Posts
    782
    Thanked: 143

    Default

    And yes, I still own two Land Rovers, one 20 years old and the other between 40 and 50 years old but there are a number of reasons my newest 4wd doesn't say "Land Rover" on it anymore.
    Last edited by Clem; 2015/02/21 at 06:25 PM.

  14. #74
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    56
    Posts
    3,125
    Thanked: 87

    Default

    Clem
    Thank you for that summary even if based on zero facts

    Weak versus what

    No facts therefore no basis for your statement

    If I was land rover I would see you in court

    But I am not land rover

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Windhoek
    Age
    58
    Posts
    1,735
    Thanked: 719

    Default

    The guy in the Amarok also lost his life, and I'm sure there are more Defenders on the road than Amaroks ......

    If you roll ANY vehicle you are at risk.

    It is actually shocking to see what modern vehicles look like after they have been in an accident, and I'm not talking of at the "Tupperware" pieces that are designed to absorb the impact and disintegrate in the process.

    Most people in modern vehicles have a false sense of security.

    Johan 8)
    2011 Daihatsu Terios 4x4
    2018 Isuzu KB300 Double Cab 4x4 Auto

  16. #76
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    55
    Posts
    782
    Thanked: 143

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RossJ View Post
    Clem
    Thank you for that summary even if based on zero facts

    Weak versus what

    No facts therefore no basis for your statement

    If I was land rover I would see you in court

    But I am not land rover
    No facts. But it was banned for being unsafe? Don't let reality get in your way mate.
    Last edited by Clem; 2015/02/21 at 06:43 PM.

  17. #77
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    55
    Posts
    782
    Thanked: 143

    Default

    Johan, rolling any car is a bad idea. But if I have to be in a rollover there are some I'd rather be in than others.

  18. #78
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    56
    Posts
    3,125
    Thanked: 87

    Default

    As you say no Facts

    This forum is full of such statements

  19. #79
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Springs
    Age
    60
    Posts
    16,728
    Thanked: 280

    Default

    in all fairness to Ford, it was when they bought the LR brand from BMW that the quality and reliability shot through the roof - you just need to consult JD Powers to confirm
    hats off to TATA for allowing the guys in the UK to get on with development
    just a pity that realistically the Defender is overpriced
    compare it with a Ford Ranger 2.2 doublecab 4x4 and essentially you have a very similar vehicle but at a much higher price
    the 2.2 4x4 DC XL+ is priced at R391k while the 110 DC 2.2 comes in at R578k
    R187k is a hell of a lot of money

    Land Rovers never die, they simply become organ donors!

  20. #80
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Windhoek
    Age
    58
    Posts
    1,735
    Thanked: 719

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clem View Post
    Johan, rolling any car is a bad idea. But if I have to be in a rollover there are some I'd rather be in than others.
    I'll hold thumbs for you that your new vehicle is as reliable and safe as you think it is .....

    Johan 8)
    2011 Daihatsu Terios 4x4
    2018 Isuzu KB300 Double Cab 4x4 Auto

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. If you thought your Landy was unreliable
    By jeepman85 in forum The 4x4 Pub
    Replies: 75
    Last Post: 2013/09/10, 10:11 PM
  2. Defender Defenders on Kyknet.
    By Jacque W in forum Land Rover
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 2013/04/15, 04:34 AM
  3. Defender What is it with Defenders?
    By Hagu13 in forum Land Rover
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 2013/02/24, 09:43 PM
  4. Unreliable jeep cherokee
    By imo in forum Jeep
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 2009/01/30, 10:03 PM
  5. Cruise Control on post 2002 Defenders
    By Naks in forum Land Rover
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2008/06/19, 09:06 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •