Ml 350 2006

Thread: Ml 350 2006

Default Ml 350 2006

I m very interested in one of those for my wife and love the look and solidness of a Mercedes.

Can anyone please give some advise on reliability maintenance costs etc.
    I read that the earlier ones had balancer shaft issues and can lead to engine failure with expensive repair costs?

Can anyone please give some feedback on the ML350.

Thanks
    2007 Discovery 3 Td V6
    110 Defender 300tdi

KTM 950 Adventure

Quote Originally Posted by Kaspaas View Post
    I m very interested in one of those for my wife and love the look and solidness of a Mercedes.

Can anyone please give some advise on reliability maintenance costs etc.
    I read that the earlier ones had balancer shaft issues and can lead to engine failure with expensive repair costs?

Can anyone please give some feedback on the ML350.

Thanks
    Pre-2007 350 engines were tuned to 200KW in 2007 a few software changes happened that meant power output was increased to 225KW(This is the same power output as the 5.0L V8 found in pre-2007 ML500).

The 350 engine was introduced in late 2004. Some very early engines had balancer shaft issues and others chewed camchain sprockets. All these issues were quickly sorted though

Overall these engines are seen as very reliable and they can be found in just about any model class MB produce except for the A and B.

Does the vehicle have steel or air suspension? Personally I found the steel sprung suspension to give a superior ride at the expense of not being able to adjust the ride height. It's important to note that only the ML350 was available with steel sprung suspension.

If it has Airmatic, some early models suffered from compressor failure due to the compressor not switching of and ultimately wearing out. If it was an issue on this vehicle it would have been sorted by now.

When you test the vehicle: Make sure all the electronic devices work. Raise and lower the suspension a few times. Make sure the gearbox changes smoothly. Take the VIN No. to your local mercedes dealer. They will be able to give you information on all services performed as well as warrantee claims/ recall work performed.

Quote Originally Posted by Koebelwagen View Post
    Pre-2007 350 engines were tuned to 200KW in 2007 a few software changes happened that meant power output was increased to 225KW(This is the same power output as the 5.0L V8 found in pre-2007 ML500).

The 350 engine was introduced in late 2004. Some very early engines had balancer shaft issues and others chewed camchain sprockets. All these issues were quickly sorted though

Overall these engines are seen as very reliable and they can be found in just about any model class MB produce except for the A and B.

Does the vehicle have steel or air suspension? Personally I found the steel sprung suspension to give a superior ride at the expense of not being able to adjust the ride height. It's important to note that only the ML350 was available with steel sprung suspension.

If it has Airmatic, some early models suffered from compressor failure due to the compressor not switching of and ultimately wearing out. If it was an issue on this vehicle it would have been sorted by now.

When you test the vehicle: Make sure all the electronic devices work. Raise and lower the suspension a few times. Make sure the gearbox changes smoothly. Take the VIN No. to your local mercedes dealer. They will be able to give you information on all services performed as well as warrantee claims/ recall work performed.
    The ML320/350 CDI also had steel sprung suspension as standard. Airmatic was an option

Keep R50k to R100k earmarked for repairs should something go south.
    --Kar

I was always under the impression that a merc last for ever. That is seriously why i consider the ML.
    I love the build quality.
    Would they require any more maintenance than another car?
    2007 Discovery 3 Td V6
    110 Defender 300tdi

KTM 950 Adventure

Quote Originally Posted by Kaspaas View Post
    I was always under the impression that a merc last for ever. That is seriously why i consider the ML.
    I love the build quality.
    Would they require any more maintenance than another car?
    It will last forever provided you maintain it properly.

From my experience MB doesn't need more maintenance than any other comparable vehicle nor are parts prices more expensive.

If you do the maintenance yourself it will be relatively cheap(R5k to R10k per year). If you take it to MB for maintenance, they will keep your vehicle in top shape, hence the maintenance costs. Keep in mind you are buying a vehicle that costs about R800k new. Your maintenance costs will be comparable to a Taureg, Cayene, Range Rover etc(As Koebelwagen said). Dont try to compare the maintenance costs to the likes of a fortuner or bakkie as it is significantly more advanced. Make sure you have access to about R100k if your transmission/air suspension/shocks/injectors/turbo/other pack up. always make provision for the worst case scenario.
    --Kar

Watch out for that balancer shaft issue on the ML350 petrol...Mine was repaired under warranty fortunately. On the MB world forum they give the engine number range that was affected, if the car you are wanting to buy falls within this range check with the dealer if it was repaired otherwise avoid like the plague! The air suspention is nice but hellishly expensive to fix so I would avoid airmatic on a '06. Awesome car otherwise. SWAMBO loves it as her daily driver but keeping it in tip top shape is not cheap unless you cut corners. Took mine overlanding to Zim and Bots and it coped beter than you would expect, best blend of luxury/on and off road performance .

What fuel consumption can be expected on the ML350 petrol please?

In town 14.5 l/100km and can drop to 10l/100km on the open road driving at the speed limit

I have one in stock of you are interested
    2006. Silver. Chrome pack. Airmatic. Sunroof. Heated seats with memory package. Black leather. 130000km.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    Doc Jamal
    Commercial Member of 4x4community
    https://www.4x4seatcovers.co.za