Trailblazer - some experiences and problems - Page 6





Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
Results 101 to 119 of 119
  1. #101
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Barberton
    Age
    62
    Posts
    5,854
    Thanked: 1267

    Default Re: Trailblazer - some experiences and problems

    Follow up on my previous post:
    I simply couldn't fully trust my battery anymore and this morning I thought the starter was a little sluggish. Off to the battery shop I went. They confirmed a dead cell.
    R2120 later and the starter swings like a Ferrari motor on song.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to RoelfleRoux For This Useful Post:


  3. #102
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    45
    Posts
    4
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Trailblazer - some experiences and problems

    Started to see water inside the left rear (brake) light cluster. Turns out the lens or cover is separating from the main cluster, and now dust and water and all kinds of gifgas are dropping in.

    I was thinking this is an easy DIY fix. Any tips from the Oldest and or Wisest? My try would be to loosen gently with a heat gun, washing, and then assemble using some kind of RTV or similar.

  4. #103
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Ballito
    Posts
    230
    Thanked: 523

    Default Re: Trailblazer - some experiences and problems

    Quote Originally Posted by AntVan View Post
    Started to see water inside the left rear (brake) light cluster. Turns out the lens or cover is separating from the main cluster, and now dust and water and all kinds of gifgas are dropping in.

    I was thinking this is an easy DIY fix. Any tips from the Oldest and or Wisest? My try would be to loosen gently with a heat gun, washing, and then assemble using some kind of RTV or similar.
    Had the same on my TB. Do NOT use heatgun. The plastic warps - I discovered the hard way and had to fork out R 6000 for a new cluster. Split the unit with a Stanley knife. Then take your time drying with a hair dryer. The moist hides everywhere inside the nooks and crannies of the cluster. Reaseal with Marine Silicone. Take your time otherwise you will just rinse & repeat.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to jaconell For This Useful Post:


  6. #104
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Melkbosstrand
    Age
    44
    Posts
    282
    Thanked: 53

    Default Re: Trailblazer - some experiences and problems

    Agree with Jaconell

    Same issue on mine and I took the cover off, scraped all the old, hardened sealing off and stuck it back using marine silicone. No more leakage after that.
    2014 Chevrolet Trailblazer 2.8 Auto 4x4
    2015 Jurgens XT140 Ext... maar ek soek 'n Bush Lapa
    Who needs a diff lock if you have 500Nm's

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to globaljaco For This Useful Post:


  8. #105
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    45
    Posts
    4
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Trailblazer - some experiences and problems

    Quote Originally Posted by jaconell View Post
    Had the same on my TB. Do NOT use heatgun. The plastic warps - I discovered the hard way and had to fork out R 6000 for a new cluster. Split the unit with a Stanley knife. Then take your time drying with a hair dryer. The moist hides everywhere inside the nooks and crannies of the cluster. Reaseal with Marine Silicone. Take your time otherwise you will just rinse & repeat.
    Thank you! Saved me an expensive trip to the closest dealer!

  9. #106
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    45
    Posts
    4
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Trailblazer - some experiences and problems

    Quote Originally Posted by AntVan View Post
    Thank you! Saved me an expensive trip to the closest dealer!
    Did you take the cluster out or repaired insitu. How do you take it out?

  10. #107
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Ballito
    Posts
    230
    Thanked: 523

    Default Re: Trailblazer - some experiences and problems

    Quote Originally Posted by AntVan View Post
    Did you take the cluster out or repaired insitu. How do you take it out?
    Very easy. Open tailgate. Look at black piece of flat plastic on light cluster which gets covered when you close tailgate. 2 Round plastic covers around the size of 50 cent piece. Lift with small flat. Unscrew the 2 screws with large Phillips. Slide cluster out towards rear of TB and slightly off to the outside side. Do not be scared to use a bit of force. Repeat in reverse order to assemble. Push back cluster until you hear a solid "click".

    If you break anything delete my post.......
    and take 6 grand to your nearest dealer.
    Last edited by jaconell; 2019/11/06 at 07:02 PM.

  11. #108
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    45
    Posts
    4
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Trailblazer - some experiences and problems

    Quote Originally Posted by jaconell View Post
    Very easy. Open tailgate. Look at black piece of flat plastic on light cluster which gets covered when you close tailgate. 2 Round plastic covers around the size of 50 cent piece. Lift with small flat. Unscrew the 2 screws with large Phillips. Slide cluster out towards rear of TB and slightly off to the outside side. Do not be scared to use a bit of force. Repeat in reverse order to assemble. Push back cluster until you hear a solid "click".

    If you break anything delete my post.......
    and take 6 grand to your nearest dealer.
    Thank you again!

  12. #109
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    port elizabeth
    Age
    44
    Posts
    112
    Thanked: 73

    Default Re: Trailblazer - some experiences and problems

    Has anyone replaced the shocks on a 2.8 4x4 . I need to replace them but them seem to be agents only. Any advice and part numbers? I want to do the rear first and will do the front when finances are looking a bit more healthy.

  13. #110
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Edenvale
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,438
    Thanked: 100

    Default Re: Trailblazer - some experiences and problems

    I'm surprised there are no aftermarket shocks, also ask for Isuzu MUX shocks as they run the same suspension setup.
    Geoff Craig
    '98 Suzuki Samurai - Sami the Samurai
    '09 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4 (M)
    '10 Conqueror Comfort

  14. #111
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Brackenfell
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,756
    Thanked: 272

    Default Re: Trailblazer - some experiences and problems

    only recently Hyundai i20 2012 was released aftermarket.

  15. #112
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Howick
    Age
    40
    Posts
    203
    Thanked: 45

    Default Re: Trailblazer - some experiences and problems

    I bought mine from agents. Full set was just over R5k. Got them fitted for R1k at tyre dealer, who later complained about how incredibly difficult it was to replace the rear shocks due to access.
    Quote Originally Posted by aidan zimmerman View Post
    Has anyone replaced the shocks on a 2.8 4x4 . I need to replace them but them seem to be agents only. Any advice and part numbers? I want to do the rear first and will do the front when finances are looking a bit more healthy.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Gav.S For This Useful Post:

    GKE

  17. #113
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Kokstad
    Age
    27
    Posts
    81
    Thanked: 28

    Default Re: Trailblazer - some experiences and problems

    Quote Originally Posted by Wave View Post
    I'm surprised there are no aftermarket shocks, also ask for Isuzu MUX shocks as they run the same suspension setup.
    Same design, but the Trailblazer is much beefier than the MUX items.

  18. #114
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    port elizabeth
    Age
    44
    Posts
    112
    Thanked: 73

    Default Re: Trailblazer - some experiences and problems

    Thanks for the replies. I will go and see if i can have the shock matched as close as it can.

  19. #115
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    35
    Posts
    600
    Thanked: 135

    Default Re: Trailblazer - some experiences and problems

    Quote Originally Posted by aidan zimmerman View Post
    Has anyone replaced the shocks on a 2.8 4x4 . I need to replace them but them seem to be agents only. Any advice and part numbers? I want to do the rear first and will do the front when finances are looking a bit more healthy.
    Those are KYB shocks, I'd be very surprised if you could not have them ordered from a Midas or similar.
    2019 Ford Everest 3.2 AWD
    2013 Suzuki GV 2.4 sold
    2010 Suzuki Jimny sold

  20. #116
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    49
    Posts
    689
    Thanked: 306

    Default Re: Trailblazer - some experiences and problems

    True, they even have a SA website,

    https://www.kyb.co.za/
    Quote Originally Posted by GKE View Post
    Those are KYB shocks, I'd be very surprised if you could not have them ordered from a Midas or similar.
    Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 D-ID GLX LWB

  21. #117
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Brackenfell
    Age
    57
    Posts
    1,212
    Thanked: 243

    Default Re: Trailblazer - some experiences and problems

    I am also in the market for new shocks! Please post your findings.
    Uys Snyders

    Trailblazer 2.8DuraMax
    Bushlapa Vlooi B237

  22. #118
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Brackenfell
    Age
    57
    Posts
    1,212
    Thanked: 243

    Default Re: Trailblazer - some experiences and problems

    Phoned around today to get quotes for the replacement of both front and back shocks.

    KYB do not sell direct to the public. Must work through either Midas or Autozone. Phone the local shops and according to them they not buying from KYB!

    Phoned the agents - got a quote for only the shocks - R6980 BUT with a 6 to 8 weeks waiting time! This is ridiculous ! Now fitment must be added still.

    Seems like Monroe do manufacture shocks for the TB. Can only get prices on the front that varies from R644 to R1300 each - this is between 3 different suppliers. No code for back shocks.

    THEN the last place I phoned gave me a quote for all 4, fitted and wheel alignment included - R6900 BUT also a waiting period of a week or 3! Asking which brand it is - the answer all 4 is Monroe. Now I ask myself the question - how that nobody that sells Monroe shocks has a partnumber for the back and all of a sudden this guy do have, and a price on it!
    How can I trust to replace the shocks with all of this in the back of my mind?
    Uys Snyders

    Trailblazer 2.8DuraMax
    Bushlapa Vlooi B237

  23. #119
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    port elizabeth
    Age
    44
    Posts
    112
    Thanked: 73

    Default Re: Trailblazer - some experiences and problems

    My week has been hectic, so have not had the time to dig any deeper. At a glance the front shocks look identical to my kb 300. They are monroe and paid R800 each for them. Next week i will visit the spare shops and see what i can find.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Similar Threads

  1. TrailBlazer Experiences
    By Flyboy in forum Chevrolet
    Replies: 166
    Last Post: 2016/03/06, 06:23 PM
  2. Kgalagadi TP bat problems
    By hinneer in forum Northern Cape
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 2013/04/04, 05:58 PM
  3. Conqueror Companion: Dream becomes nightmare
    By Alta in forum Camping, Fridges, Accessories
    Replies: 117
    Last Post: 2012/10/21, 09:54 PM
  4. Defender Deep water crossing problems
    By opsafari in forum Land Rover
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 2010/09/13, 01:51 PM
  5. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 2009/09/24, 10:07 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •