Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    67
    Posts
    28
    Thanked: 1

    Arrow Nuvi 7xx: problem communicating with garmin device

    If you have had this error when connecting your Nuvi 710/760 to your PC and using Mapsource, the usual advice is to reset your Nuvi by touching the screen bottom right while switching on. The downside is you lose all your data and config (except music and pics!) and have to set up from scratch.

    I had this problem and through fiddling and poking around by using a program called EasyGPS I discovered a corrupted (ie, not Unicode) waypoint name in the xml of the current.gpx file on the Nuvi. I edited the file using a hex editor overwriting the corrupted data with a new name in ASCII and voila! problem solved. Of course there may be other reasons for getting the Mapsource error but maybe they are all related to data corruption on the Nuvi.

    I have submitted this as a fault log to Garmin, waiting for response...
    Biodiesel - no war required

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Tamboerskloof, Cape Town
    Age
    64
    Posts
    2,592
    Thanked: 168

    Question Reviving old info

    Hi Diffie, I know this is very old, but could you, or someone else who has done this, perhaps explain to an ignoramus maximus like me how to do what you described? I've downloaded and installed EasyGPS and the free version of Hex Editor Neo, but I have no idea how to use them.

    When I tried to open my current.gpx file in EasyGPS it told me that there was an invalid character in line 2, position 411. Is this a position like a marker on the map or is it a particular spot in the ASCII code in the file? I can open the file in the hex editor, but then I have no idea how to locate the so-called invalid character. Would I recognise it as invalid if I saw it or is it a character like any other? Does it have to be replaced with something else or can it simply be deleted (with minimal loss of data)?

    Someone on the Garmap forum said he renamed the current.gpx file to a current.xml file and opened it in Frontpage. I don't have Frontpage, but I did that anyway and could then open the file in Internet Explorer, except that it looked pretty much like code. Since around the same time as installing EasyGPS, however, the file format seems to have been set in stone, meaning that I can't see the extension, even in the detailed view, and when I try to rename the file to the .xml format it simply inserts .xml before the .gpx extension, ie current.xml.gpx.

    I'm just about ready to reset the GPS before throwing it into the harbour, but I thought I'd see if someone here has a less drastic solution for me. TIA.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Tamboerskloof, Cape Town
    Age
    64
    Posts
    2,592
    Thanked: 168

    Default

    OK, I finally managed to get rid of the corrupted data last night. I couldn't make out head of tails of what I was supposed to do in the hex editor, but then it dawned on my that I should be able to save the file in another format, so I saved it with an .xml extension to be able to at least see some recognisable text. Probably could've changed the format in Notepad too, but whatever... That's something to remember though: you may not be able to simply rename a file with another extension, but if you can open it you should be able to save it in another format.

    Anyway, I opened the .xml file in IE and was just scanning it to see what kind of data it contained, when I saw the dreaded little blocks we also get in corrupted text files, so I tried to delete them, but obviously IE wouldn't allow me to make any changes to the file, duh... . Incidentally, the corrupted data appeared right after my phone number quite early in the file, and someone on the Garmap forum also had corrupted data in or around his phone number; I wonder if this is an indication of a known bug in the software...

    I then opened the file in Notepad and did a search for my number, and deleted the square blocks right after it. Saved it with a .gpx extension and opened it in EasyGPS to make sure it was working, and copied it back onto the device, overwriting the original file. Did a transfer of data, both in EasyGPS and Mapsource, and everything's hunky-dory again!

    So, now it's back to figuring out how to calculate distances from one point to another on my trip log...

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 34
    Last Post: 2010/09/23, 10:50 PM
  2. Nuvi 760 FM Transmitter problem
    By Jeep001 in forum GPS & Mapping
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2009/06/03, 09:00 AM
  3. Problem with Nuvi 360 and map
    By JEEPY in forum GPS & Mapping
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 2008/03/12, 07:50 AM
  4. Problem with Nuvi 360 and Maps
    By JEEPY in forum GPS & Mapping
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2008/01/24, 07:10 AM
  5. Garmin nuvi 200w Advice
    By LandJero in forum GPS & Mapping
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2008/01/05, 09:02 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •