Khwai Community Campsite IMMEDIATE price increase 22.07.13

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Khwai Community Campsite IMMEDIATE price increase 22.07.13

Khwai Community Campsites have increased their rates as of this morning.
    From P140 to P290 per person per night.

Any bookings previously being held will not be honoured at P140 - if you haven't paid, you must now pay P290 for any bookings.

I was just in their office this morning and they told me this news. I find this a bit excessive considering the Khwai North gate campsites (with ablutions) are P240 per person (SADC residents) & USD50 for International clients. (and these rates - as with other campsite operators) will not increase for 2014 - they will stay the same.

I know Khwai Community is stunning, I drove through there this weekend - but P290 just for the land per night is a huge increase from P140

Why am I not surprised. I avoided these guys from the start after hearing reports of them not honouring prepaid and confirmed bookings in favour of a larger group. The unfortunate couple from Moenchengladbach or wherever got shoved to another less favourable spot while the 18 from Gauteng in 6 4x4s were given the prime site.

If tourists are prepared to get fleeced, then fleece them. And keep on fleecing them

Disgusting mercenary attitude but that's the result of communities getting something for nothing, just because they are lucky enough to live in an area where game is plentiful and scenery is beautiful. And where does the money end up?...... have heard many amusing and not so amusing stories of what happens when there's an 'allocation of funds' within the community.
    Last edited by andyrag; 2013/07/22 at 11:38 AM.

2014 Prado TX D4-D

I agree with Andy on this and my personal experience with those "community vultures" are not at all pleasant.
    I asked them last visit about 2 weeks back when they would start the promised water supply for showers or a long drop for example.
    Ther reply was easy, "if you don't like what you get stay away and visit Krueger"

What can I say, an attitude remains an attitude and when you get a free meal from stupid visitors why not make it a free honeymoon.

Just disgusting what the community is making out of their prime location and I am sure some fat cats are taking the profit.

Never mind the stated 3 months per year occupation limits they state for their lack of foresight. I don't believe it - it's just milking the stupid.

Looking for alternatives these days and I am about to find it.

Thanks Taralee for the warning.
    Last edited by Kalahari Safari; 2013/07/22 at 02:11 PM.
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

Whiskey tango Foxtrot as the TV add goes, they can fly a kite.
    Land Rover Puma 110 '2009'
    Terrafirma suspension
    African Outback add on's

Ouch! That is really very expensive!
    Peet Schultz

Can some engagement with the goverment not be done
    So leaving fees out for now
    If hot water or whatever is promised like trash being removed and this is clearly not the case then the govt should be able to withddaw their permit
    Maybee some sort of a private seal of approval rating might be in order
    So am doing ckgr in 3 weeks time and the bigfoot prices and dwnp are hugely diff for the same thing
    But i know that upfront so is my decision
    Any ideas ??
    Ross

That IS expensive!
    Thank heavens I will not be staying there!

Time that people boikot them. Stay away. No income, price will drop.
    Elize

en ry saam met SarelF in
    VW AMAROK MET BLINKGATCAMPER:
    My Platkar:- Peugeot 208

Kyk gerus by www.blinkgatproducts.com
    Vir enige aluminium produkte,canopy's, campers kontak gerus
    Sarel 0828209413

Tara, are the Dizhaana sites still operational? ( S19 14.386 E23 56.837 ) We stayed there in 2008 - our first ever over-border experience! Was absolutely fantastic. We where the only campers there for 5 nights in Dec and it was just great - maybe because it was the first time that we experienced something like that.
    Last edited by PeetS; 2013/07/22 at 09:30 PM. Reason: grammar!
    Peet Schultz

Quote Originally Posted by PeetS View Post
    Tara, are the Dizhaana sites still operational? ( S19 14.386 E23 56.837 ) We stayed there in 2008 - our first ever over-border experience! Was absolutely fantastic. We where the only campers there for 5 nights in Dec and it was just great - maybe because it was the first time that we experienced something like that.
    Dizhanaa is unfortunately closed as the issue of the license was a stumbling block.
    IMO it was the commuity who did not want the operations to continue as the commercial benefits were mostly with the investors not with the community.
    Apart from a caretaker there is nobody living there anymore and you are not allowed to use the facilities. (Situation last year around September)

I was camping wild a few miles downrivers, but you won't find any evidence of this.
    Some pictures on my FB page
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Guided-Self-Drive-Safaris/199435896750777?ref=hl

Psssssstt ......
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

I was very disappointed with Botswana on a recent Tour - not with the wildlife, but with the prices since everything has been privatised. We also spent 2 nights at Khwai. Beautiful, but at these new prices they will not see me again. They really want something for nothing. They do not even remove ashes from the campfire and expect you to bury everything. At these prices the least they can do is make the camping site tidy after campers have left.

I say, boycott them until they become more realistic.

No, Dizhana is still no operational. A guy called Jason was running them, but he had licencing issues - community based issues as well with the Mababe community. The governments like to empower the Setswana and give large pieces of land to the communities (who then run campsites on them) but they are not as savy (or educated) as outsiders (foreigners), and so (like Khwai community above) are really difficult to deal with from an administration/management point of view.

This is madness!
    We were in their office in Maun on Friday, they stated 140P pppn - we're off there tomorrow with no other alternative, so we're stumped!
    We will definitely not be staying as long as we had planned.....

aaaarrrrggghhhh!!!!

Ian

Ian - did you pay them on Friday when you were in there. If so, then the P140 stays... but if you just enquired and didnt pay them - then the increase to P290 stands.
    I would try and fight it though - call them on +267 6801211 and speak to Fred - mention that you were there on Friday and got P140 as a price and see if you can secure that rate...

I've just spoken with the office, Fred isn't there - they insist on the new rate as we didn't pay up front - I've told them that it's too much and we therefore won't be going (even if we eventually do).

If enough people give them this message then maybe they'll think again.

Tara maybe a bit of an open ended question, but here it is -

Are there still "enough" places such a Senyati where we can camp at a reasonable rate (I mention Senyati as I know this site, but am looking for places to the "west")

I hate pre-booking, but I might have to contact you to assist with our next trip.

Could this perhaps control the chaos during the winter school holidays? Campers insisting on being close to the river and camping between now numbered sites!
    Several people had to be told to move and stay between the Maghoto 1and 2 areas.

It has certainly become very busy since the privatization within the parks.

There are now two staff members that camp there that are supposed to keep the area tidy, but this is one hell of an increase.
    Last edited by fly4x4; 2013/07/23 at 05:52 PM.
    Andy

D4D 3.0 DC Hilux 4x4
    BFG Mudz
    OME
    ARB Bull Bar
    Safari snorkel
    Frontrunner Roofrack
    Dual Battery
    2012 Conqueror Comfort

I will give them a skip in my planned Bots tour. I am not prepared to accept the ripoff fees any longer.

Quote Originally Posted by mfuwefarmer View Post
    I will give them a skip in my planned Bots tour. I am not prepared to accept the ripoff fees any longer.
    + 1
    Terrafirma suspension
    African Outback add on's

The reality is that the big tour groups will get discounts and support them, I think this is definitely against the self drive tourists.
    Terrafirma suspension
    African Outback add on's

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast