Khwai Community Campsite IMMEDIATE price increase 22.07.13 - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

It is always best to prebook Botswana in the busiest times for self drive and camping (April/June/July/August/Sept & Oct mainly) as the campsites are always fully booked early (the "good" ones anyway...)

For example, the first week of July next year is already fully booked in the north of the Moremi (Third bridge and Xakanaxa).. and as there are only two campsites in this area, the next best option is the very south of the park..

I guess this is why I've decided not to charge a booking fee for now, because Botswana is (1) hard to book - tonnes of different operators for campsites now and (2) it's expensive already.... (3) the "rules" and prices change often as per Khwai Community above.

So I can definately help you ChrisF. There are lots of reasonable campsites in the towns (Maun, Kasane etc) - the problems come in the Parks, as these rates are high and roughly the same rate (P240 to P290 per person) and only a couple options per area.

I think that now, more and more people will consider day trips into the parks from Maun (Moremi) and Gweta (Nxai and Makgadigadi) and Kasane (Chobe) rather than sleeping in the parks but this may be a lot more limiting in terms of wildlife sightings and the serenity of sleeping in the bush listening to the wild. Botswana is expensive, but it's not as commercial as other parks in other countries... so I guess we have to weigh up with we would prefer - cheap campsites (which will be harder to book then as more and more people will come and they will be booked up years in advance) or the commercial sightings in other countries... sigh!

We were there for 3 days in the beginning of July (2013) and could not believe the amount of animals and the natural beauty of the place. The P140 was rather high for absolutely no facilities (which perhaps is one of the reasons the place was left filthy by mostly SA campers … sorry to say), but I thought it was worth the money to be able to camp in an area with animals all around you and with no fences. For P290 I expect good, clean facilities and then I can go to many other places. I like camping in a really wild area with no fences and no facilities, but not at P290. I agree with Witklipbank, we should put together a campaign to boycott them and any others which think they can rip us off with such exuberant prices. How can we get the message to them that they should expect a “boycott” if they do not re-think their price increase?

Default What a pity

We stayed there last year and it was great. I liked the "no facilities" which keeps away the loud and noisy campers. We had no issues with the inspectors and all the campers were very sensitive to the environment. It would be great to have had some ablution facilities but at P290, we may not visit again.
    Btw all the campers we came accross there were from overseas so to have a boycott campaign it would need to be international.

Edit:
    Not all community campsites deserve a tough rap. We stayed in Nambwa (spelling?) in the Caprivi and everyting was great. the staff were very friendly, the water was occasionally warm in the showers and it was very clean and affordable, would recommend to anyone.
    Last edited by Smithy; 2013/07/24 at 11:08 AM.

Community campsite operations in Namibia are vastly better than any in Botswana. They really do put Botswana to shame

2014 Prado TX D4-D

Thanks Tarra.

From a photography point of view one "must" sleep over in the camps. Too dangerous to drive in the dark, and ariving 1 or 2 hours after sunrise is just not worth it ....

as for cost vs delivery - we were very dissapointed in the facilities at Nxai pans - NO water, yet we paid a premium rate. Had I know in advance, I might have opted to rather bushcamp at Bains Boabab.

ChrisF, Baines Baobabs and Nxai Pan south campsite are run by the same operator - at the same price per person per night.

Tara the difference being that one is a bush camp, and the one we paid for was "sold as" full ablusions.

I was just dissapointed in not getting what we paid for .... when we spoke to the park rangers, who dont operate the camp, the feedback was ... uhm .. ja .... they knew the pipes were broken, and not at all in a hurry to fix it, their attitude was really unpleasant .....

o-well, school fees.

The Khwai Community Board Members met this morning as all operators based in Maun went in there/emailed/faxed/called to complain about the price increase and lack of facilities - we'll hear a little later what their final decision is from the meeting. I'll let you know!

I love the fact that there is no facilities and really hope that they keep it this way. The price, sjoe it is a bit on the high side considering that we already pay an arm and a leg for fuel to get their. This will really force us to consider alternatives. SA parks are suddenly looking more attractive to me. People tend to look at Kruger as if it is the only park in SA. As I understand there are a lot of smaller parks that is also very nice. May be it is time to start exploring our own parks.

Do you know if Kubu Island falls under them as well
    Dents are like scratches but with better stories attached

There are big issues in the Khwai area at present. I have it on good authority that the community only have one year left on their lease (apart from the fact that Magoto is not even in their concession), so maybe they are trying to milk it for all it's worth. President Khama has been to see them twice in the last 6 months to try and resolve some issues, but as it stands NG19 is an absolute bunfight and is being destroyed due to lawlessness.

No Baby Jane - Kubu Island does not fall under Khwai Community.
    Kubu Island is run by the Gaing-O Community Trust.

Yes Rob, you are right - Khwai Community is supposed to keep to NG18 but slightly over into NG19. The NG19 guys (Machaba, Sango etc) are trying to get the Landboard to resolve the issue, but of course - this takes years. They (as lodges) have exclusive clients paying a lot for game drives where they are not supposed to see other people and often they come across Self drive campers merrily driving in their concession (which they don't realise is private) so a lot of issues. I would think Khwai Community would keep a low profile then, and not double their fees.. but anyway, we'll know tomorrow what their decision is with regards to the final outcome of the increase.

Wow, quite a jump in price indeed.

We stayed at Magoto in early June and I was simply amazed at the amount of wildlife. Pity the communities have chosen to milk tourists.

Here's hoping for a positive outcome ....
    Safe Diving - Andy

2013 Isuzu KB6 300 DC 4X4

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrews_underwater_images/

Default Kwai Community Kasane

Tara
    Can you refresh my memory as i have not been to Kwai for some time. As far as I can remember we do not pay the P120 pppd entry and P per vehicle, as in the parks. Staying thus at Kwai for P290 is still better than plus minus the P480 pppd plus vehicle in the parks. Is my assumption correct.
    Rudy

Hi Rudy
    Yes, you are right - to drive around the Khwai Community, you don't have to pay the Park Entry Fees.. (P120 per person/P50 per vehicle) unless you want to drive into North Gate.

Hi Rudy, not sure how you get P480 pppn, Khwai north gate within Moremi is R250 for SADC plus P120 park fees so about P330pppn. Third bridge slightly cheaper at P168 for camping plus park fees.
    Andy

D4D 3.0 DC Hilux 4x4
    BFG Mudz
    OME
    ARB Bull Bar
    Safari snorkel
    Frontrunner Roofrack
    Dual Battery
    2012 Conqueror Comfort

I have stayed there as a self drive camper and at the New Machaba camp.

Community aside, you can understand why Machaba, and other camps wouldn't have much interest in self drivers in the area. From what I can see, the community has already sold enough rights to the private, and mobile camps to turn self drivers away.

Another thing worth considering, was after paying the big bucks to stay at the upmarket camps, P290 seems reasonable even without facilities and comfort of the 5 star lodges. And I do get your point, the community is being greedy and are literally getting paid to be idle.
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5301&dateline=1335341  324
    JK-2.8,KJ-2.5,JK-3.8,KB-300,GV-V6,KB6

We were up there about three weeks ago, I was shocked to see how many campers were in the area Previously, about two years ago we were the only ones there All our lovely 4x4 and caravan/ camping magazines have been running articles on these areas, as soon as that happens it's just a matter of time before the place gets swamped by visitors...Kgalagadi is another example of how busy a place can get after it gets some publicity. We used to book a few days before going...now,...you phone and they are already full six months before the time??!!

We're finding that we have to travel further and further away to find "quiet" spots - sadly, I don't think Khwai or Kgalagadi will ever be the same again

Looks like they're staying at P290 now, no changes after the Board meeting!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast