Botswana beats Kruger hands down.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Botswana beats Kruger hands down.

Hi all.

We have just returned from a trip starting at Kubu Island then to Maun and up the western delta road to Bagani. Along the caprivi to Kwando then on to Chobe/Kasane. From there to Savuti then Moremi, Francistown and out. We did the trip in a land cruiser with RTT pulling an Adventure Trailer with TTT. Four adults and one child. Had a fantastic time.
    Worst fear before the trip: The road from Kasane to Savuti. No problem – did it in three and a half hours (Sand, sand and more sand).
    Most boring part in Botswana - Western road from Maun up the pan handle to Namibia border. Waste of time.
    Most pleasant campsite - Mavunje camp on the Kwando (Caprivi)
    Most pleasant boat ride - Mashi River safari on the Kwando
    Biggest disappointment - Savuti - way over priced.
    Best advice- collect wood before entering camp sites in reserves.
    Best Value for money camp – Senyati near Kasane – Private ablutions and bar over spectacular waterhole.
    Most wild encountered – Mogotho camp in Khwai Community Development – saw everything, most in our camp! Wild camping with no ablutions – fantastic.
    Most spectacular drive –Chobe riverside road from Kasane – flood plains full of game.
    Most irritating – No (NONE!!) raw meat, dairy or most fruit & veg grown above ground across vet nary check points.
    Most aggravating – speed fine at the road sign – not time to slow down – clearly there for tourists money.

Very friendly people. No problems at borders. No problem with diesel. Did not see one single rhino. Sad

Don. Nice,

The only rhinos i knew is at Khama Rhino Sanctury.

Senyati...in 3 weeks time!
    Elize

en ry saam met SarelF in
    VW AMAROK MET BLINKGATCAMPER:
    My Platkar:- Peugeot 208

Kyk gerus by www.blinkgatproducts.com
    Vir enige aluminium produkte,canopy's, campers kontak gerus
    Sarel 0828209413

Thx Don - once you have been through Moremi & Chobi areas you cannot visit Kruger with tar roads and buses loaded with tourists. Never mind the 20 cars at a sigting. I rather drive the 2500km and enjoy the raw nature. Thx for the report.
    Toyota Hilux D4D 4x4 D/Cab Auto

Have to agree,the KNP is getting like a big zoo now.

Rhino in Botswana are in Khama sactuary as Elise says,and are mostly located on Chiefs Island for their protection.There are other areas that still have rhino,not going to name the area on a public site.New area in the Delta just relocated 6 rhino from Phinda as well.

And I will support the Anti Poaching of Rhinos. They must kill the poachers!

Nice to knew there are no more Rhinos in Bots. But the ones at Khama - long long horns.

Lets look if i can find a picture of 3 years ago

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	botswana 2 070 [HDTV (720)].JPG 
Views:	429 
Size:	278.1 KB 
ID:	224465   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	botswana 2 075 [HDTV (720)].JPG 
Views:	421 
Size:	145.6 KB 
ID:	224466   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	botswana 2 074 [HDTV (720)].JPG 
Views:	433 
Size:	216.9 KB 
ID:	224467  
    Elize

en ry saam met SarelF in

Sarel 0828209413

Stunning shots Elise ,I have not been so lucky in Khama,but maybe this Sat my luck will change.

We were very lucky! I think there were about 12 Rhinos. And so calm.
    Elize

en ry saam met SarelF in

Sarel 0828209413

I am for filtering highly poisonous rhino horns into the market. That way the end of the chain will be compromised. Maybe a few revenge killings in Vietnam will slow down the demand.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Brown View Post
    I am for filtering highly poisonous rhino horns into the market. That way the end of the chain will be compromised. Maybe a few revenge killings in Vietnam will slow down the demand.
    Yes I have to agree with you on this,been done I believe ,but on a very small scale.This needs to be backed by the govt and a huge advertising blitz to make these bastards aware we are not playing games anymore.

Can't compare the two.
    One is wild, one is not.
    One is an adventure, the other not.
    For me it's a no brainer.
    Hubby absolutely hates KNP.

Don, lovely to see the positive side. We have also just had 2 weeks, Khama, where we saw 3 rhino, then to Maun, and Moremi, and onto Chobe, Savuti. Ended at Chobe Safari Lodge. All a big plus. We were stopped for speeding, in a 60 zone, doing 65!!! I saw the sign, backed off and coasted to 60. We were in convoy, 3 of us. Well it came down to a telling off, and we were forgiven.

Savuti, even though very expensive had all the game, except Rhino. Lovely Lion and leopard. Will definately go again soon. My problem now is I have a house in Marloth Park, on the border of KNP. It just won't be the same again, not after Chobe.
    Landy 111S R6
    Pajero 3.5 S/W
    Freelander (written off, together with my wrist)
    Tiguan TDI 4Motion (SWAMBO's)

Yes. We loved KNP. Went there 3-4 times a year, then we went to Botswana........end of KNP. It now feels like driving in a zoo. Botswana really spoiled KNP for us, but we do not complain at all.
    Andre van Rensburg<br>Swambos baby V6 Pajero shorty<br>My overland vehicle "Datsun" 3.3l v6 hardbody d/cab.<br>Play vehicle Sizuki SJ413. Mods: Toyota 2c Diesel engin and 5 speed gearbox, 50mm lift<br>Love the bush, overlanding and crazy about animals.

Default Don't knock the Kruger Park!

And yet, last year in June, we saw so many rhinos in the Kruger Park we stopped counting..eventually we hardly stopped to look...mosto f the sightings without another car in sight.

The Kruger Park is still the most accessible place for South Africans to see wildlife. I had the good fortune to be taken into the park virtually from birth. It was there that I developed my love for wildlife. If our children don't grow up with wildlife, they won't appreciate it and won't see the sense in conserving it.

Yes, you have to know how to get away from the crowd, but it can be done

"Most irritating – No (NONE!!) raw meat, dairy or most fruit & veg grown above ground across vet nary check points."

Hi Don

Will this mean that if I buy meat and veggies in Palapaye or Serowe I will not be able to take it up to Maun and Shakawe?

Quote Originally Posted by GrantH View Post
    "Most irritating – No (NONE!!) raw meat, dairy or most fruit & veg grown above ground across vet nary check points."

Hi Don

Will this mean that if I buy meat and veggies in Palapaye or Serowe I will not be able to take it up to Maun and Shakawe?
    The issue is mainly coming from the north going south, but in the western delta area it is often both directions, no idea why. So from Palapye/Serowe taking meat north is usually not a problem but from Maun to Shakawe it often is.

2014 Prado TX D4-D

Quote Originally Posted by GrantH View Post
    Grant, rule of thumb is if you travel west and north in Bots you'll be fine. You will encounter vet gates when travelling south and east and they will "relieve" you of your raw meat and fruit (fruit fly issues)
    FJ Cruiser
    Echo Kavango

Andy jumped me there, he is correct.

The problem with Maun to Shakawe is that you travel south through the dreaded Kuke Gate.
    FJ Cruiser
    Echo Kavango

Thanks Andy & Hoffie

That is how I had understood it.
    I am planning to stock up in Palapaye and Serowe on the way in to the CKGR and Magadigadi where we will be for 7 nights then to Maun were I hope to restock for the next leg up to Caprivi. What is the availability of fresh meat and veggies like at Shakawe? My next provisioning stop was to be Katima over a week later.

Cheers Grant

You will definitely be relieved of all you fresh meat and ‘clover’ as they call it (beef bacon cheese milk apples oranges and more) at the checkpoint going north up the western delta. My mate had just purchased supplies for three days for his family including 3 big eating teenage sons.
    I think the ‘vet’ has a bit of a scam going on there. I chose to cook my meat and pulled off on the spot while watching my mate lose it in a big way. He threw all his food onto a fire they had going for the purpose. He drove off empty handed and was not 20meters down the road when all his food was raked out of the fire.

I think all pictures and mention of rhino in this thread should be removed
    2001 Mitsubishi Colt 2.4i Trailbuster
    Ironman Suspension
    40mm Body lift
    31x10.5x15 Cooper STTs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast