Nissan Quality Control

Default Nissan Quality Control

I came accross a letter that somebody's co worker sent to the paper moaning about his quality of product.

im currently in the market for a navara , but from what ive read and seen , im almost put off the brand totally..

I copied the letter.

---------------------------------
    To whom-ever actually cares.

Nissan proclaims – “Shift Expectations”. Quite rightly so, in an ever downward spiral into oblivion!!

I purchased my Nissan Pathfinder in February 2006, a manual diesel – Brand new. I was so impressed, absolutely blown away by the service. Toyota may sell more vehicles but they haven’t got a clue in how to even approach customer satisfaction.

I, unfortunately was so impressed at the time, that I convinced 2 acquaintances to also purchase a Nissan. The embarrassment was and still is quite overwhelming.

I requested some extra’s on the Vehicle (a tow-bar etc) so that I could live life the way it should be – after all, I’m “shifting expectations”.

First thing that happened is that the tow-bar installation kept on shorting out the lights, many times. Within the first 2 weeks after delivery, I took a run up to Zimbabwe to deliver some bibles and again landed up with no lights. Luckily I explained at 2 separate roadblocks that THIS is a Nissan and after all, is only 2 weeks old, No need to check my roadworthiness!!

I started complaining to Nissan about the clutch appearing to stick and being heavy on juice not to mention that the pathfinder could not get up my driveway. The silly thing kept on stalling, a 403nm vehicle stalling? Whilst down on leave at Sodwana (allowed onto the beach there), the engine died and refused to start again. Imagine, parked below the high-tide mark, tide coming in and Isuzu & Landrover drivers offering to tow me to the baby pool. When I finally managed to get the engine going again (with water washing around my tires), the Pathfinder started experiencing electronic jitters. Switch the Pathfinder off and all needles jump for joy – nobody actually believed me!!

That incident saw the main computer being replaced. Now my pathfinder reflects 0 km’s on the clock and after many queries, was quite summarily told that there is nothing they can do. The Pathfinder started to refuse to unlock – except for the hatch at the back. Imagine it, open the back, crawl over the seats and unlock from the inside. That was quite funny, especially to the Mahindra drivers in their Bolero’s. They thought it was quaint. Another computer replaced - for the central locking ?

The drivers door also started to refuse to open to a lesser strength person (like my wife) – replaced the handle and mechanism. Still complained over the next year about fuel consumption and of course the clutch sticking. Oh, did I mention that I cannot drive or reverse up my driveway because the Pathfinder keeps on stalling?

In August, I went on my first foray into a ‘real’ off-road situation, a terrible dirt road to look at a radar installation in Thabazimbi. The Pathfinder couldn’t climb a 20 cm rut in the road. I really tried, very hard, but it kept on stalling (which reminds me did I mention that I … Oh yes I did, sorry). I even handed the keys to the other party members. They eventually told me to “Go around!!”

I instructed my wife to take the Pathfinder back to Nissan and get them to adjust the clutch. Without blinking, they did – by putting in a brand-new clutch (perhaps that should have worried me?). The problem was that the Pathfinder still didn’t feel right.

I must admit that all these problems were not really weighing down on me as I had given up all hope. My expectations had actually spiralled into such a low that I ‘gave’ the pathfinder to my wife to drive (heh-heh, now it’s her problem). I started to drive an old Mazda Etude – far superior and smoother, it could idle up the drive-way. But alas, all good things came to an end and I traded the Mazda in on a Kia work-horse 1.3 tonnes. Don’t sneer; it can actually drive up my drive-way – without stalling, even loaded with 1 tonne of soil. It can even reverse up!!

I was forced to take back the old Nissan clunker – bad luck that.

I still couldn’t get up the driveway and the clutch seemed to be taking all over the place. When I changed gears, it seamed to nose-dive before going again. Being obstinate, I took the Pathfinder back to Nissan and explained the problem. They went with me for a drive and I was told to perhaps I should pay more attention to my driving.

I tried that, told my wife to watch the road while I tried to smooth the gear changes. I even figured out how get up my drive-way – Easy actually, get the rev’s up to 3000, drop the clutch and go like hell. My wife now refuses to drive with me up the drive-way. I tried explaining to her the VDC (traction Control + stability control) light will flash hysterically and that THIS is actually working. She called me a son-of-a-b%%h and some other choice words. She actually hurt my feelings, so I asked her if she could do better.

She promptly got in her Kia Work-horse (it’s got a whole 160nm of torque) and idled up the Drive-way. To add insult to injury, she did it again but backwards.

At this stage I was fuming and I took the Pathfinder back to Nissan and told them to fix it.

They adjust some stuff and … Huge improvement, wonderful car-wash and when reversing up the drive-way, I now can actually get half-way! I wonder what the rattle in the engine is coming from.

I told my wife that this was the final straw. But I had to prove to myself that either I had lousy driving skills, The Pathfinder range of vehicles were subverted tricycles or that there was something wrong with my vehicle. So today I arranged for a Pathfinder test drive (at a totally different dealership, same vehicle spec as my own, 2.5 dci manual.

You find me writing about MY Pathfinder.

The Pathfinder I drove belonged to the Account Manager at the dealership. I could wax lyrical about how smooth the gear change is. The abundance of power. The refusal to accept my vehicle at a half-decent trade-in on a new Pathfinder

But I won’t.

I’ll tell that this letter calmed me down enough so that I can treat a Nissan representative with dignity and a calmness that I am not really feeling.

I am saddened that no alarm bells were ringing when all the replacement parts were being authorized by you. I am saddened that I am driving a vehicle that Nissan doesn’t want back (smacks of the Landrover Freelander that) I am further saddened that I cannot easily explain to anybody that I did not gippo the km’s. I am saddened by the fact that Nissan cares more about getting a new customer than in keeping an old one. I am saddened that Nissan does not have a point to prove to all people who are blinded by Toyota and their ilk. I am saddened by the fact that I now have to go and apologies to Tata, Isuzu, Mahindra etc drivers for saying that they had crap vehicles – “Sorry Guys!”

I am also finally saddened by the fact that I am driving a Nissan and there is no hope.

“All ye who are about to drive a Nissan, abandon all hope”

I hope this letter finds you in good health; you obviously are either driving a Tata, Mahindra or an Isuzu.

You might find this letter amusing but so far I have been extremely tolerant and understanding. I have never raised my voice, always asked for attention on my Vehicle in a nice manner.

So much for being nice.

Yours in utter frustration

(Name deleted so that I cannot raise a support group for Nissan drivers)

Also this picture was found in one carpark in jozi.

Hmmm this reminds me of that Worst 4x4xfar campaign that went on for ages around someones Isuzu
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Seen something similar on a Mitsubishi of all things. Parked in JHB with posters on both the rear windows of what was all wrong with the car.....
    "A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster "
    By Jeremy Clarkson (I think)

Quote Originally Posted by BigRed View Post
    Seen something similar on a Mitsubishi of all things. Parked in JHB with posters on both the rear windows of what was all wrong with the car.....
    I think it's folly to believe that there is any brand that this kind of thing DOESN'T happen to...

Unhappy people often make the loudest noise - so it's a matter of counting the number of loud voices
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4

Carpe Diem Scrotum

If this was a Jetta forum, I'd also have a fair share to say. Then again, my first Jetta I put 420,000Km on the clock and all that went wrong is the alternator dropped me once.....

As Simon says, every brand has its ups and downs, never mind hic ups....
    "A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster "
    By Jeremy Clarkson (I think)

Yet i have heard a few people with Navaras and Pathfinders who have had no problems.

It is upsetting to hear these stories about any new vehicle as this stuff is not cheap.
    ORA
    -------------------------
    Ian

Had the same rubbish with my hilux. They made one mistake and that was borrowing me a loan car.......and they wanted it back.........and refused to return it untill mine was finished. The dealership eventually billed Toyota R400/day for 3 months!!!
    Turnkey Construction Projects, Commercial, industrial, Domestic
    Importers: Diving gear, Compressed air cylinders for diving and airgun industry, 4x4 equipment.
    Manufacturers: Pofadder Kinetic ropes, Recovery kits, Synthetic winch ropes
    Vehicles: Modifications and installations, Special application vehicles
    Driver training: 4x4, Defensive
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

Quote Originally Posted by Engel View Post
    Had the same rubbish with my hilux. They made one mistake and that was borrowing me a loan car.......and they wanted it back.........and refused to return it untill mine was finished. The dealership eventually billed Toyota R400/day for 3 months!!!

Haha , ouch!

Yeah never buy a monday or friday car!!!

must say this has sort of put me off the brand , but like you guys say , it could happen to anybody!

Two things very sad about things like this. Firstly that it actually happens!!, and secondly that one will never know the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. My dad always said a coin has three sides, there's a thin band that sits between both sides where the truth hides.
    Sakkie Coetzee

Some people say I have a "short temper"....I see it as swift and assertive reaction to Bull!

4ePajero Guest

Yes,
    Don't think it happens with Nissans only.
    Don't think it happens in the motor industry only. Remember the space shuttle?

PS There is no such a thing as a Monday / Friday car! A car might start / end on the production line on those days, but it takes more than one day for the trip along the production line (from pressing of body panels to test run).

ShYte happens!

Having worked for a car manufacturer as well as a company that built paint and powder coating plants, I must say that Nissan's paint on the hardbody double cabs has never impressed me. Not sure what other products come out of the same paint shop, but have only really looked at the HBody DC when I was thinking of buying one.

Do yourself a favour and look at a second hand one (not sure about the newer ones - if the problem was sorted). Most of them if you look down the side of the car, the doors seem to have 'ripples' in the paint. Almost looks as if they have been dented / resprayed. I have seen this on many of them, not just a few.

I cannot see any manufacturer not sorting this out......maybe there is some other twist in the story?
    Turnkey Construction Projects, Commercial, industrial, Domestic
    Importers: Diving gear, Compressed air cylinders for diving and airgun industry, 4x4 equipment.
    Manufacturers: Pofadder Kinetic ropes, Recovery kits, Synthetic winch ropes
    Vehicles: Modifications and installations, Special application vehicles
    Driver training: 4x4, Defensive
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

Quote Originally Posted by Craigb View Post
    Having worked for a car manufacturer as well as a company that built paint and powder coating plants, I must say that Nissan's paint on the hardbody double cabs has never impressed me.
    [OT] Remind me never to come within 200 yards of you with my Pajero - you might start criticizing my recent handiwork!! [/OT]
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4

Carpe Diem Scrotum

JDK Guest

Default Nissan Navara not so great

I have been disappointed since receiving it - the work done by Nissan East London's (Auto Mall) 3rd Party "extras fitting people" having been crap they lost a part of the drivers seat so now it looks crap at the back they drilled holes trough the load bed and chassis to mount a tool box bought from Nissan the cars been back 4 times to Nissan the fix the seat still not solved there is a noise that rattles badly right front near the firewall apparently a brake hose after the first 15k service the noise was so bad you could hardly drive the car ( its been back 3 times for that ) the paint came of above the front windshield after the 3rd wash ( by hand washing ) and now its started to rust the wind noise from the aerial has at lease gotten less. Nobody is getting back to me about the seat or the rust this is week number 3 after picture were taken by Nissan I've been back 2 times I am disappointed feel like crying cause its such a nice looking bakkie and paid R360k for it with all the extras and now its like they've done the deal and its not their problem. Let me not forget about the parking distance control that beep out of control when it rains and the left front seat squeaks while driving around. Don’t know what to do next?

Default UNlucky

I have to agree with SimonB.. (hey that kinda rymes)

Anyway...
    I bought a Nissan Navara with 78,000km on the clock and since then ive had only 1 minor incident with the loadbox opening (on the first day). I learned the hard way i geuss that this was the norm with navaras loadbox not having a standard lock...

Since then I never experienced a days trouble with my Navara, it's an absolute pleasure to drive!

Last week the 90,00km service was done and someone informed me that my cluctch needed to be replaced (at Nissan's Expense) as something was wrong with the standard ones? I was shocked as i never thought that there was anything wrong with my clucth? I recently heard that there was someting wrong with the small cluthes on Navaras...if so what

Im driving down to Ballito on wednesday and im starting to get worried something is going to happen after the replacement.